Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

The wife and I had this exact same discussion last night, as we’re a little burned out on cooking. We decided against it because the odds are low, but not nonexistent. Damn, now I want a pizza. 

Haha. Sacrfices two days in;)  Murica!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

1) china, italy, iran, france, and spain all have over 2.5% mortality rate

2) we still havent imposed quarantine

3) people arent taking social distancing seriously

4) we are and have been and will continue to be on track with the above countries listed

5) our healthcare system is going to get overwhelmed. Full stop. We did not prepare for this at all. And with no leadership, we are fucked

ill take a stab and screenshot this take but when the dust settles, ill say the mortality rate ends up around 3.25%

Please take that screenshot and let’s regroup when the dust settles. If it winds up actually being within a quarter of that, you’ll look vaguely like something other than an alarmist who shows up in this thread every 3 hours to have a hissy fit. 

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Correct. There are also a fuck ton of unknown deaths that could be contributed to corona. A friend who is an ER doc at Herman said theyve had about a dozen patients die in the hospital since mar 1 without a cause of death they can nail down and have tested negative for corona (but had exact corona symptoms)

So, they didn’t die from Corona then? Was your point to highlight that a bunch of people die every day from causes that have nothing to do with this virus? Congrats, you did it! Most of us have some grounding in reality that indicated this already, however. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’m 5 episodes through The Pacific

Rewatched that recently. It's fucking fantastic. Underrated imo. I don't think it's as tight as Band of Brothers overall, but it covers a wider spectrum of life during the war which I found really interesting. 

American’s true culture will once again reveal itself during all this. Riots, looting, and killing people for toilet paper. It will be on display for all the world to see.

If we have a major internet, power outage or cyber attack, during quarantine then we’ll see riots.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Thinking about going the Tom Green route

Loved that era of MTV.  Tom Green, Jackass, Andy Dick?!?  The stupidity and absurdity was contained to humorous television shows, not "real life".

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

Why do you assume the contents of the box are any more corona free than the outside?

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I believe that the virus only lives for 24 hours on cardboard, so as long as the items have been en route for a day or so, I should be okay with anything inside that's itself packaged in a box.

If I ordered something loose or that's essentially a hard surface, I would blast it with the disinfectant, too. 

2 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I believe that the virus only lives for 24 hours on cardboard, so as long as the items have been en route for a day or so, I should be okay with anything inside that's itself packaged in a box.

If I ordered something loose or that's essentially a hard surface, I would blast it with the disinfectant, too. 

if the delivery person or mail carrier is positive.... but you have to empty the mailbox.   so i throw down the mail, wash my hands, and open the week's mail on sundays.

Anyone have a recommendation for a succinct source of infection and death statistics in the US?

I don’t want recommendations on hand washing, face touching, social distancing, Trumps failures, death pits in Iran, updates on bakery closures in Naples, South Korean strategy, ...

Just now, Incredulity said:

Anyone have a recommendation for a succinct source of infection and death statistics in the US?

I don’t want recommendations on hand washing, face touching, social distancing, Trumps failures, death pits in Iran, updates on bakery closures in Naples, South Korean strategy, ...

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

48 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Probably not. At least not mutated enough for the test to miss. You are insinuating that the virus is changing the one gene used for detection multiple times. Not likely. 

46 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Until we get rapid accurate testing, sadly this is true. This last week of monitoring Italy and Spain has changed my outlook.  We have to flatten the curve.

I thought that the most accurate test was with PCR and it takes longer? That the faster tests lead to false negatives (which would be bad?). In other words, with the sequencing a test won't tell you a false positive but some of the tests may not be as accurate. True? False?

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I’m feeling a little off but just took my temp and nailed 98.6 like a boss.  must be the pollen that’s bothering me. 

Hangover really making the Corona virus stick. 

* and any idiot calling themselves a doctor saying we are “past the point of containment” in regards to restricting movement should be stripped of their license to practice medicine. They know damn well it’s not about 100% prevention. Fuck those assholes. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Neighbor manages an HEB.

She said that one of the reasons they shortened the hours is that the stockers haven't been finishing until after opening.  That hadn't been a problem before, but now they were getting accosted by shoppers.  

I asked if she has gotten herself some TP.  She said she grabbed one packed, but she has been taking it to her car one roll at a time for fear of getting jumped.  

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Neighbor manages an HEB.

She said that one of the reasons they shortened the hours is that the stockers haven't been finishing until after opening.  That hadn't been a problem before, but now they were getting accosted by shoppers.  

I asked if she has gotten herself some TP.  She said she grabbed one packed, but she has been taking it to her car one roll at a time for fear of getting jumped.  

It's smart to segregate the stockers from the general public.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Still getting invites to house parties going on the St. Patrick's day weekend. None of my friends or colleagues really give a shit about this yet.

There were a bunch of cars in front of a house down the street from me today.  When I passed, I noticed they had a sign announcing that they were having a birthday party for a 94-yo veteran.

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Good luck.  I've tried, i have friends that have tried with theirs, they just don't give a fuck.  American Exceptionalism.  Fox and God told them so.  And last week OM said it's all good.  They have plenty of food and medicine.  And goddamnit they will go play bridge and get their hair "fixed" and nails done come hell or high water and fuck you and fuck everyone who says they are not entitled to their version of reality.

May God have mercy on us all.

C'mon Hagbard.  You're better than this.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away