Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Delayed theatrical releases already announced 

F9

Mulan

A Quiet Place 2

No Time to Die

New Mutants 

F9 and No Time to Die won’t be dropped on streaming.  

New Mutants on streaming makes sense - it’s not an MCU movie - basically it would be Disney clearing the desk from the Fox acquisition.  

Mulan is going to make bank in theaters, but they could dump it on Disney+, charge $10 for it or whatever, and make the budget back and then some.  

Just now, Aqua Buddha said:

So, South Korea is the only country that has this?

I don’t even know what you’re arguing.  south korea is testing everyone, up to 10,000 a day, symptomatic or not.  it’s a better data point.  the death rate there is less than 1%.  we’re testing a small number of people that are already showing symptoms. 

• Like 4

I don’t even know what you’re arguing.  south korea is testing everyone, up to 10,000 a day, symptomatic or not.  it’s a better data point.  the death rate there is less than 1%.  we’re testing a small number of people that are already showing symptoms. 

Fair point. What’s their obesity rate? And other high risk factor rate? Genuinely curious as someone who falls into the high risk categories previously mentioned.

This is true and they are by far the best data point so far. They've also been on top of this shit for a while. Nobody else has.

Look at the JH site and if nothing else it's an interesting coincidence that the 2/13 and 3/13 are the biggest one day of new confirmed cases....

I'm still also puzzled as to how China is doing it everywhere else....far as I know everywhere else isn't locked down, though I guess if the Hubei region is still largely locked down and nobody is coming in from outside the country... that would work as the fire just burns out in one place.  

38 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the 60M and 12K was US only.  50K would be great WW.  Swine flu killed 200K+

I guess you didn’t read the part about mass quarantines and the world shutting down to achieve those numbers? 

cool. Have fun with the flu 

1 hour ago, Hmmm said:

damn ztejas, what are you the surly contingency plan?  people make new accounts for various non-CV related reasons:

1.)  not to get doxxed

2.)  because there are a bunch (or maybe just one) trigger happy ban-admin that make hornsfans look like a free world.  it's a tragic irony, where shag/surly started out as an outcast of HF fans to gather (thank you sincerely, BL), and is now not so different.  perhaps this is due to more extremists views since then. 

You sound like the tampons ran out at your local generic brand grocery store.

My Dad, who is 69 with a-fib, is a county judge.   He went to judge the rib competition at a BBQ cook off today.  I’m completely flabbergasted at the decisions that people continue to make.  

Man. My mid 70s in laws are returning from Hawaii. Weird choice to go there to begin with.

To make matters worse they want to hang out with my family as much as possible next week - i travel a ton, I have 2 teenagers, and my wife IS A SCHOOL NURSE. We are literally vectors for this shit.

It blows my mind.

2 hours ago, Longhornlax said:

I work at an aquarium in Dallas and the number of people still showing up today was mind boggling. Especially the number of olds. It was basically like a normal Saturday. I have to be there to take care of the animals, but I could do without all the unwashed masses infecting each other and probably me and the rest of our staff.

Do you think you all will close down this week?   We are thinking about heading up there in a few days - they’ve been wanting to visit, and allergies will be easier on our kids, they can’t stop coughing here in Austin, even running mild fevers (oak or mold or something is really bad).  

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I just wanna say, if futureman is breaking troll on you, you're probably being a dumbass, and he's probably right. 

Do you think you all will close down this week?   We are thinking about heading up there in a few days - they’ve been wanting to visit, and allergies will be easier on our kids, they can’t stop coughing here in Austin, even running mild fevers (oak or mold or something is really bad).  
Are you serious with this
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Are you serious with this

Not really.  Well, a trip to the aquarium in Dallas is on our list, but no way in hell we’d go right now.   My wife appears to be one of the few wives on Surly who doesn’t have an urge to travel, which means she hasn’t been exposed to the virus.  

My daughter does have a cough from her allergies though, and she’s given a good 15 or more people whiplash, but it’s a wet cough.  

Just took a cruise down Commerce through Deep Ellum and it was crowded as fuck. We are not doing a good job. 
Yep. Had some at bottled blonde invite me out. I said no I'm chilling and it's probably dead. They sent a pic of it looking like a normal ass weekend. I hope this shit turns out like every one of them thinks it will
  • Like 1

My daughter does have a cough from her allergies though, and she’s given a good 15 or more people whiplash, but it’s a wet cough.  

My 4 yo has had a hacking, dry cough for about the last 10 days that I would really like to go away. I take his temp about 3x day just to be sure, but totally normal. He also seems fine, other than a bit tired some days from the coughing at night. Your kid having a persistent cough while this stuff is going around is no bueno.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, futureman said:

common sense.  also south korea’s mortality rate that is below 1%. 

Who has quarantined everyone in the country since close to after the first case and tested 100k in the same time we did 6k.   Nice comparison....   Pretty sure we are way past that. 

Edited by Hook1997

Early this evening, visited Randall’s on 38th to top off a few items - we are now good to go for staying away from stores for a few weeks.  Saw a guy with a black mask (looked like an N95), and black gloves.  In a t-shirt and shorts, no glasses or goggles,   First masked person in the wild.   Eggs and lots of fruits and veggies were gone   Odd, but they are getting a truck or two tomorrow I believe  

Also took kids to neighborhood park, and with the exception of a few people letting their kids play with other kids on the playscape, most families and people were finding their own little parts of the park, staying away from equipment, and just chilling with frisbees and soccer balls.     It was odd, given that it’s a Saturday night, and even with spring break, you normally see plenty of people.  

Also didn’t see the large group of dumbasses who normally take their dogs off their leashes and let them run wild on the baseball and soccer area.   That maybe neighborhood drama that resolved itself - there’s been a group of people who are tired of the dogs running amuck, bothering kids/adults, and other folks with dogs,  and generally shitting everywhere.   It was hinted at on Nextdoor and on an email list that they were filming/photographing the folks with dogs off leashes and we’re going to turn them in or something, not sure what they could actually do other than maybe shame them.  Edit   I also saw somebody spreading the “your dog can get it” rumor.

Anwyays, I do think I saw social distancing in action at the park, but also saw some that didn’t give a shit.

Edited by atomheartbevo

I could totally work from home. I'm a software developer for a military defense contractor. HR / leadership has let it known that we are not allowed to work from home even if our jobs allow it because "they can't have everyone working from home". No explanation. They seem to not trust us. It's pretty maddening knowing that my wife and two kids are quarantined at home for two weeks but i'll have to expose them daily because my company doesn't trust us.

9 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

My 4 yo has had a hacking, dry cough for about the last 10 days that I would really like to go away. I take his temp about 3x day just to be sure, but totally normal. He also seems fine, other than a bit tired some days from the coughing at night. Your kid having a persistent cough while this stuff is going around is no bueno.

Yeah, some mild cold or something went around our 4 yo’s little group of friends over the past two weeks.   Temp never got above 99.7, runny nose, cough (I caught and it lasted just a few days with no cough and mild fever and sore throat for me).  

She still has a cough, but it’s wet and coincides with the allergy counts.  And her allergy medicine mostly knocks it down.  

Annoying though, because it makes people stare at you.   At least it means some people are paying attention.   

• Like 2

FFS

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/patient-with-symptoms-consistent-with-covid-19-lands-at-abia/

A patient showing symptoms consistent with COVID-19 landed on a plane at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport on Saturday, a city spokesperson confirmed to KXAN.

It was a British Airways flight, and the spokesman could not confirm where the flight was coming from. An ABIA spokeswoman confirmed the British Airways flight landed in Austin from London Heathrow.

At last check, all the passengers were off the plane, including the patient, who was treated by Austin-Travis County EMS medics. A test for the virus was administered to the patient and the person will be quarantined.

The city spokesperson could not answer questions about why this particular case was being handled in the way it is or why the person was treated, other than the symptoms that were present.

I wouldn't say my wife is pissed, but after detecting some 'tude and pressing her on it a little bit, I discovered that the "household procedures" that I am trying to implement (e.g., 'for any Amazon deliveries, hit all six sides of the box with disinfectant spray, take it to the garage, open it there, take out the contents, and immediately dispose of the shipping box in a garbage bag that will never enter the house') are stressing her out. 
Sorry I'm trying not to kill your parents, dear!!! 
Why are you not disinfecting what's inside, too? 90% of most Amazon deliveries now come from a semi-local distribution center (there's a big one down near San Msrcos) then to a local warehouse for sorting (two in Austin) the same-day or the day after you order it. It's usually on your doorstep less than 24 hrs after ordering. Considering it's been said the C19 can live on some surfaces up to 72hrs - and that at least one Amazon warehouse worker tested positive (in Seattle) - the safest thing to do would be to push the box into the garage with your boot and let it sit there for 3 days before opening it.

- source: I do Amazon delivery.
  • Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away