Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Lol...the only ones that will be left are the incels that don't reproduce anyway, so we have reached peak humanity.  I weep for those of you who never got to see Jerry Garcia live.

I’ll lookin’ forward to a world where 99% of people know how to reset an internet router tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Isn't it fair to say that the only real concern we should have at this point is the potential shortage of ventilators that will lead to deaths?

We will be rationing care in less than 2 weeks. If youre over 60, youre not getting a ventilator

ex: Houston, a city of almost 6 million people and one of the largest healthcare complexes in the country has less than 3,000 ventilators 

Edited by GreenspointTexas

26 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Maybe it was @ChiTownDoc who posted this, but a transcript from a conference call with physicians in California indicate many in the medical community believe we’re past the containment phase, and that containment at this point in the U.S. is futile. So seems like we should be in the “fuck it” phase, but still trying to play it as safely as we can for those more vulnerable.

You are looking at containment like we stop the spread.  What we need with containment is to slow the curve if infection rate so it overwhelms the medical system to a much smaller degree.  It is here and will spread, we need to “contain” how fast it spreads.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dad said:

I could totally work from home. I'm a software developer for a military defense contractor. HR / leadership has let it known that we are not allowed to work from home even if our jobs allow it because "they can't have everyone working from home". No explanation. They seem to not trust us. It's pretty maddening knowing that my wife and two kids are quarantined at home for two weeks but i'll have to expose them daily because my company doesn't trust us.

My wife's job is doing the same thing for the same reason.  I'm pissed.

Some on here may know I'm a teacher in Plano ISD.

Seems our district is using the additional week of Spring Break to gather data about which students have reliable internet access and which do not. We already have a program that can get them internet, and I'm assuming we will issue Chromebooks to those who don't have computers at home. We have thousands of Chromebooks in classrooms already we can issue.

Sounds like it is a good possibility that we will attempt online instruction as much as possible.

I'm fine with that as I'm pretty tech savvy and I already make YouTube videos for my students to use at home as a supplement of our normal instruction. I'll just have to expand that to all my lessons. 

I know some other teachers will struggle with how to effectively teach online. 

Will be interesting to see. I do predict that if many districts stay closed longer than this week the State will likely cancel the STAAR test this year.

Oh and we are already implementing meal pickups for those families on the free breakfast and lunch programs. Some of those kids it is their only reliable source of food. 

Edited by Hawndoh
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Spanish flu pandemic of 1918, #4 is exactly what happened. The world weathered the spring and made it to summer and people stopped worrying about it. 

Come fall, it turned out the warm weather was just enough to keep a lid on the spread of the virus, but it was still there dormant. Lots of people died in the fall because people let their guard down. 

I hope we make it to summer just fine, but I really hope (against hope) that it will continue to be taken seriously by our national leaders and decision makers. 

Plan and store for now and for the fall

2 hours ago, B00M said:

If you stop drinking and even just lightly exercise to boost your immune system you'll lose 10 lbs. Drinking heavily right now and depressing your immune system is almost as selfish as the fucks out partying.

Oh for fucks sake, fuck off Debbie Downer.

2 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

This post should concern all of us. 

Eh, I'm not saying she made the right decision, but death of an immediate family member and hasn't seen any of them in 2 years. She's fully aware of the risks and implications. Some circumstances unfortunately take precedence over being cautious. The real issue is travel still being allowed.

Ten years ago I woulda loved this...stay home for two weeks drinking, playing movies and video games, and avoiding people would be heaven.  

Now, we are trying to find ways to avoid killing the kids...particularly the 3yo daughter...the 6yo boy is pretty self sufficient and easy going but my 3yo is already on her third meltdown today.  The thought of 14+ more days like this has my blood pressure rising. 

I’m with you, my 3-year daughter is melting down and she has a bad temper already. My 6-year daughter is mostly laid back but does have her moments and is being extra emotional. Plus we have a newborn daughter. This will be fun for my wife as I have to go into the office next week.

39 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

MN closing schools by Wednesday- all of next week. And probably beyond that

I was impressed by the new conference from state officials in Minnesota. Teachers there are already planning for and communicating about how they will keep education moving forward for Minnesota's K-12 students while schools are temporarily closed. 

One of the biggest take aways from this is going to be the logic error that so many people have been making from the beginning. We knew that testing was far behind the actual spread of infection in almost every country, with Korea being the only exception. Yet we kept talking about fatality rates while KNOWING that the number was horribly wrong. But then ignoring that and making future projections based on numbers that were obviously wrong to anyone willing to actually think about it. 

And now we’re acting like we’re preventing the spread of something that’s already spread. Responses are happening so far behind the real time situation. 

How are prisons with corona virus because if my wife asks me one more time to start cleaning out another drawer, closet, you name it and start throwing away shit my hoarder ass has been keeping for no reason I am going to lose it.  She needs to just leave me alone while we are stuck in the house for the foreseeable future.

lol! I have no doubt that the “working from home” issue is going to result in a few divorces.

The “cause and effect” theory is going to be wide reaching.
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Some on here may know I'm a teacher in Plano ISD.

Seems our district is using the additional week of Spring Break to gather data about which students have reliable internet access and which do not. We already have a program that can get them internet, and I'm assuming we will issue Chromebooks to those who don't have computers at home. We have thousands of Chromebooks in classrooms already we can issue.

Sounds like it is a good possibility that we will attempt online instruction as much as possible.

I'm fine with that as I'm pretty tech savvy and I already make YouTube videos for my students to use at home as a supplement of our normal instruction. I'll just have to expand that to all my lessons. 

I know some other teachers will struggle with how to effectively teach online. 

Will be interesting to see. I do predict that if many districts stay closed longer than this week the State will likely cancel the STAAR test this year.

Oh and we are already implementing meal pickups for those families on the free breakfast and lunch programs. Some of those kids it is their only reliable source of food. 

What I'm curious on with this is besides all the bandwidth and potential issues let's just say the school districts have enough rats running on the wheels to power online material/content/teaching material and let's just say that the students out there have the means to receive said material.  

You're telling me a second grader, fourth grader hell seventh grader is going to take that shit seriously and buckle down and get shit done (especially if no parents around to enforce)

5 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Daughter came down with fever. Anyone know how we get testing in Austin?

Your best bet is to try and treat it at home, she’ll never get tested for it. Just assume she has it. Only take her to the doctor if she’s taking a turn for the worse. That’s the situation we’re in.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Bought a bunch of THC vape cartridges to weather the storm and just realized that they're probably not great for keeping lungs healthy. Now what the fuck am I supposed to do.

Any pulmonologists, etc., have any firm opinions on whether vaping vs. smoking flower is the least worst idea for right now? 

I know which method I think my lungs prefer, but am interested in hearing an from someone with a well-reasoned opinion. 

Asking for Foosters's friend. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Bought a bunch of THC vape cartridges to weather the storm and just realized that they're probably not great for keeping lungs healthy. Now what the fuck am I supposed to do.

Sell them to somebody dumber  for a considerable profit.

• Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away