Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

For those of us with the young kids, what are you planning to do while they're home? My wife and I have been making a list, so wanted to share here in case others have ideas that we should add on our list. We are taking this really seriously (thank goodness she came around, she was pissed at my suggesting she stop taking the kids to play dates until I made her read articles about Italy and how it spreads). Our kids are 1.5 and 4. Here are our ideas:

- My wife got a bunch of craft stuff, so she'll do some kind of craft every day with them
- I just bought the 4 year old a couple of soccer goals for the yard and a football, once it stops raining it's time for him to learn the games
- Our almost 2 year old is way behind on speech development, so we're going to work with him on new words every day
- He also has recently started taking interest in us going to the bathroom, could we come out of quarantine with two potty trained?
- I bought the 4 year old an Xbox with Kinect and introduced him to his first video games this weekend. Trying not to show him any that aren't Kinect/active play for now. I know the time will come...
- The 4 year old is really close to being able to read. We don't want to buy any books and have them delivered right now, so we'll find online beginning reading stuff for him to read on the tablet
- Both kids like their bikes/trikes, so we'll do daily walks in the evening with them and the dog once this rain eventually clears
- We just got a bunch of games at Christmas like connect 4 and operation, so I expect those will get some good use.

As for the wife and me, we're looking at projects around the house we've been putting off that we might as well do when we're stuck here. Cleaning out closets, fixing things that need a little love, and boring stuff like that. We also have been trying to learn some new stuff, foreign languages, instruments, etc. No better time than now. We're looking at what we can do for date nights to keep from getting beat down. Grilling steaks and opening an expensive wine instead of going out. We both like board games as well and have some we haven't brought out in a while. Plenty of series we've meant to binge and never have. We've also already been on a home workout routine, and it will be hard to argue we don't have time to keep up with that now.

This all might sound a bit ambitious, and maybe it is. I'd rather have plans for what we want to do with the time. Otherwise I think we'll go crazy, or worse, not stick to the self quarantine. We're going in with the mindset that this is a few months not a few weeks. I don't think this will be done quickly, so we can take our time on this stuff.

Would love to hear other ideas any of you have, particularly for the kids. This won't be an easy time, but I'm focused on coming out the other side feeling like we made the best use of the time we could rather than laid around lazy and wasted a few months.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

For those of us with the young kids, what are you planning to do while they're home? My wife and I have been making a list, so wanted to share here in case others have ideas that we should add on our list. We are taking this really seriously (thank goodness she came around, she was pissed at my suggesting she stop taking the kids to play dates until I made her read articles about Italy and how it spreads). Our kids are 1.5 and 4. Here are our ideas:

- My wife got a bunch of craft stuff, so she'll do some kind of craft every day with them
- I just bought the 4 year old a couple of soccer goals for the yard and a football, once it stops raining it's time for him to learn the games
- Our almost 2 year old is way behind on speech development, so we're going to work with him on new words every day
- He also has recently started taking interest in us going to the bathroom, could we come out of quarantine with two potty trained?
- I bought the 4 year old an Xbox with Kinect and introduced him to his first video games this weekend. Trying not to show him any that aren't Kinect/active play for now. I know the time will come...
- The 4 year old is really close to being able to read. We don't want to buy any books and have them delivered right now, so we'll find online beginning reading stuff for him to read on the tablet
- Both kids like their bikes/trikes, so we'll do daily walks in the evening with them and the dog once this rain eventually clears
- We just got a bunch of games at Christmas like connect 4 and operation, so I expect those will get some good use.

As for the wife and me, we're looking at projects around the house we've been putting off that we might as well do when we're stuck here. Cleaning out closets, fixing things that need a little love, and boring stuff like that. We also have been trying to learn some new stuff, foreign languages, instruments, etc. No better time than now. We're looking at what we can do for date nights to keep from getting beat down. Grilling steaks and opening an expensive wine instead of going out. We both like board games as well and have some we haven't brought out in a while. Plenty of series we've meant to binge and never have. We've also already been on a home workout routine, and it will be hard to argue we don't have time to keep up with that now.

This all might sound a bit ambitious, and maybe it is. I'd rather have plans for what we want to do with the time. Otherwise I think we'll go crazy, or worse, not stick to the self quarantine. We're going in with the mindset that this is a few months not a few weeks. I don't think this will be done quickly, so we can take our time on this stuff.

Would love to hear other ideas any of you have, particularly for the kids. This won't be an easy time, but I'm focused on coming out the other side feeling like we made the best use of the time we could rather than laid around lazy and wasted a few months.

spacer.png

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I've got 14 employees spread across 2 different construction companies plus subcontractors.  Some of these guys are hourly wage earners (and while very good at what they do aren't necessarily really adept at handling pressing societal and hygiene concerns in times like this) and I have salaried guys that are out on job sites and in constant contact with subs, suppliers and property owners.  At some point every day they come back to office or into warehouse, do their thing and go back out.  The hourly guys handle the same machinery over and over and are in close contact with others.

Yes, I have concerns about the asymptomatic types and the impact they will have on others and, of course, how others will impact them. I will continue payroll if a government mandated shut down comes.  It will be difficult but will also be necessary.   

I will meet with all my guys in the morning and go over hygiene issues and tell them their payroll will be secure for as long as I can make it work.  I hope our customers will be reasonable in their expectations. 

I hope to cobble together a plan where salaried managers avoid the office as much as possible and hourly types that have to work the machinery in the warehouse can do so with an increased focus on hygiene.  

It will be a chore. 

I'm hoping for the same. I forget do you do residential or commercial?  It would help if they closed the office to file mechanic's liens.  That would give at least some owners some relief/understanding.  May need to look at your GC and or blanket sub agreements and update for something like this.  All the best man. 

Edited by RollLeft

17 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

I’m thinking these elevated death numbers relative to new cases are showing that testing isn’t sufficient and they, like us, have far more infections than being reported. The deaths are starting to hit hard, and look high compared to reported cases but not actual cases. This is us pretty soon. 

6 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

I am going gain 10 lbs while this shit goes on. We have meals planned out for days.  Wife was told to stay away from the office for 14 days, kids home, it is like a staycation.  All there is to do for 2 weeks is eat, drink, screw, and watch Disney plus and Netflix.  It is not the virus that is going to kill us all it is the going back work.

Sounds like your wife will gain a lot more weight over the next 9 or 10 months.   

13 hours ago, futureman said:

I don’t even know what you’re arguing.  south korea is testing everyone, up to 10,000 a day, symptomatic or not.  it’s a better data point.  the death rate there is less than 1%.  we’re testing a small number of people that are already showing symptoms. 

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

I didn't get to hear all of Clay Jenkins on NBC News in Dallas this AM due to kids screaming, but did here him say goal is 1000+ tests per day locally but we're probably 6 weeks away from that.   Didn't get a lot of comfort testing will be ramped up significantly this week which is disappointing as as high number of confirmed cases is probably the only thing that will start making those going out to bars, etc. like a normal weekend take it more seriously.

spacer.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Got it.  I see that announcement as quadrupling the HEB clusterfucks over the next couple days.  Which sucks for me since I'm in post-symptom quarantine and at some point I'm going to need essentials, like beer.

Favor is your friend. Or Mini Bar. 

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

This may have already been posted, but sharing here in case it hasn't been. It's good. It's posted publicly on FB by an emergency physician in Dallas (Cara Norvell, you can look her up and she has posted subsequent things):

So this part:

People in their 20s and 30s are in respiratory failure and ARE dying. These are not elderly people with lots of medical problems that have had the chance to live full lives. These are young and previously healthy people. Yes, the elderly are more likely. But the young and healthy ARE NOT IMMUNE.

I turn 50 soon and I have young children.  I know there's really nothing to do other than stay isolated as possible (and thanks to school, we have not), but it still spooks me. I knew I wasn't immune, but I guess I had hoped being in good health and non-smoker would increase the odds in my favor.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m thinking these elevated death numbers relative to new cases are showing that testing isn’t sufficient and they, like us, have far more infections than being reported. The deaths are starting to hit hard, and look high compared to reported cases but not actual cases. This is us pretty soon. 

italy does have one of the oldest populations in the world.  it’s relevant to their higher rate of fatality. 

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

Ten years ago I woulda loved this...stay home for two weeks drinking, playing movies and video games, and avoiding people would be heaven.  

Now, we are trying to find ways to avoid killing the kids...particularly the 3yo daughter...the 6yo boy is pretty self sufficient and easy going but my 3yo is already on her third meltdown today.  The thought of 14+ more days like this has my blood pressure rising. 

You could throw screen time rules out the window, and setup a tablet for her - my wife being a teacher for a long time, and both of us watching what apps and games our kids play, we’ve got a good list of apps for toddlers/pre-schoolers if you’re curious.  

Whatever you do, don’t let her loose on YouTube (kids app or regular app with parental restrictions on).  She will find either Ryan or Nastya, and then you’ll be wishing to get the virus and be in a hospital for 2-3 weeks.  

We're not as organized. Kids are 11, 9, 4. So far, it's been:

- Fortnite
- Rake leaves
- Fortnite
- Backyard sports
- Fortnite
- Family movie
- Fortnite

If we go major lockdown, I'm planning to build a fort with the older kids in the greenbelt by our house.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

All of those. I would suggest creative stuff for the 4 year old like building things with blocks, magnet tiles, trainset, forts etc.  Were doing a camping night tonight where I put together a tent inside one of the rooms and have jerry rigged s’mores. We also ordered some science stuff on amazon that should keep them entertained, volcano kit, butterfly growing kit, ant farm.

I’m considering ordering a gaming console for my own sanity and playing grand theft auto or getting into this call of duty ordeal that people rave about in the evenings when kids are down. Thankfully west world starts up again tonight too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Let's be honest teachers wear many hats....this is unfortunately one of them.  They wear that hat because usually somebody at home isn't....this isn't going to magically change.

Of course some students won't take it seriously and participate properly. But continuing to educate some is better than nobody being educated at all. 

It is likely we will finish the year with an incomplete curriculum, and that will have to be addressed by next year's teachers, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to accomplish something online now.

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah, Italy has moved to just testing the severe hospital cases now, asking everyone else to just stay home. Between that and the lag from symptoms taking up to two weeks to manifest, their overall number of infections is certainly much higher.

3 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I had hoped being in good health and non-smoker would increase the odds in my favor.

It does. Of course, that doesn't mean you and your family shouldn't isolate as much as possible. The facts that young/healthy people can develop serious cases and that the impacts are generally much more severe for the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions aren't mutually exclusive. The ER doc wants people to know it can happen and take appropriate precautions. Fact is, dealing with a number of cases on a pandemic scale, even the small fraction of younger folks that have severe symptoms is going to be a large raw number. That's the price of failing to contain the virus.

- Fortnite

- Rake leaves

- Fortnite

- Backyard sports

- Fortnite

- Family movie

- Fortnite

If we go major lockdown, I'm planning to build a fort with the older kids in the greenbelt by our house.

There’s going to be a ton of 12 years and younger fortnite pros here soon

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

I’m considering ordering a gaming console for my own sanity and playing grand theft auto or getting into this call of duty ordeal that people rave about in the evenings when kids are down. Thankfully west world starts up again tonight too.

If you haven't played it before, GTAV is basically a fifteen hour heist movie as a videogame 

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Sounds like your wife will gain a lot more weight over the next 9 or 10 months.   

Not possible.  I'm fixed.  

Just bought Disney plus and put it on the kids TV's upstairs.  I won't see them unless it is meal time.

Edited by Moby Ric
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Of course some students won't take it seriously and participate properly. But continuing to educate some is better than nobody being educated at all. 

It is likely we will finish the year with an incomplete curriculum, and that will have to be addressed by next year's teachers, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to accomplish something online now.

Did I say somewhere we shouldn't do this? Just pointing out another hurdle to it.  

12 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

- Fortnite
- Rake leaves
- Fortnite
- Backyard sports
- Fortnite
- Family movie
- Fortnite

Then they can have a Fort Night.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

For those of us with the young kids, what are you planning to do while they're home?

The son's birthday got canceled, so I bought Mario Party as his gift, got some cupcakes, and we're going to break it out today. Lots of standing and movement, so I hope that takes care of the rainy days. We walked to the small grocery store yesterday and killed 2 hours that way. Now we plan on only walking the neighborhood, as we are stocked up on calories and we are now full self-quarantine. Everything that I have has moved 100% online, so the vast majority of my time will be spent on this 1/4 acre lot.

2 hours ago, B00M said:

has Italy's curve flattened at all yet? Or do they have another week of exponential growth to look forward to?

There is some data from Wuhan to show how this works.  In China, they asked all of the people who tested positive to guess what day they started showing symptoms, and then backed that up to show when they probably were exposed.

Shortly after the date of the lockdown, they believe new infections dropped significantly.  But it took around 12 days for that drop to show up in the form of a reduction of new daily cases.  Once you start social distancing or lockdowns, you have to go through about two weeks and trust that it is working before you see a benefit in the data.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The reason its 7% (and going to continue to climb) is because the country is and has been out of ventilators for almost 5 days now

that will easily happen here

You know it’s not 7% and you know the number will decrease not increase. You’re so full of shit. Just stop. You’re intentionally lying. 

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away