Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

23 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I don't live in Lubbock.  I work for an area including Texas, OK, AR, & LA.  The discussions/ observations are consistent among my peers.  It's hardly anecdotal or the exception.  We are absolutely out in the public, to the point our employer keeps trying to tout "servicing America.  You are heroes."  and I roll my eyes heartily at the notion; but yeah, we be in it neck deep.  It's pretty much the same everywhere.

The shelter in place applies to them other people...

Yeah... you might want to look up the definition of anecdotal. Actually, maybe you don't need to. You've illustrated it wonderfully. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, G650 said:

Wut?

I live on an island of 3500 people on the Texas coast, with no hospital and only 1 doctor and yes I could get tested today and it’s been that way for weeks.

i know people were complaining weeks ago that it was difficult to get tested but I’m not seeing those stories anymore? If you are sick right now and can’t get tested you need to find another doctor.

1 minute ago, justhookit said:

I live on an island of 3500 people on the Texas coast, with no hospital and only 1 doctor and yes I could get tested today and it’s been that way for weeks.

i know people were complaining weeks ago that it was difficult to get tested but I’m not seeing those stories anymore? If you are sick right now and can’t get tested you need to find another doctor.

Huh. I know of a real wealthy guy with a Dr. son here in SA who had to fly to CO to get a test last week. 

just sayin

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

So what is the hurricane forecast looking like? 

6 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Huh. I know of a real wealthy guy with a Dr. son here in SA who had to fly to CO to get a test last week. 

just sayin

And my mom’s doctor in San Antonio has been running tests since early March and still has them. We have drive thru testing in Corpus. Was he sick? I don’t think he needed to leave the freaking state to get a test.

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

So what is the hurricane forecast looking like? 

Windy.

If Port A gets a hurricane this year this island will go nuts. People are already losing their minds but still mostly doing a good job of staying isolated. If we go another few weeks with a closed beach though it won’t be pretty.

11 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

just sayin

Could it be that "Flying to Colorado to get a test" is the new "Hiking on the Appalachian Trail?"

say no more, say no more...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, justhookit said:
51 minutes ago, G650 said:

Uh, this is probably why you can easily get the test man.

21 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

just sayin

Also this guy is a moron if he was sick since he did exactly what we have been told not to do by leaving the house and then getting on a plane. No wonder nobody in San Antonio wanted to test him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Schools need to open. I say that as a father of 3 kids with a stay at home wife- so if anyone is set up to fade schools being closed it’s me- this is not personal or selfish. 

We need herd immunity- kids pass this shit around like crazy and don’t seem to be effected all that much by it. Send the little bastards to school so they can infect themselves and bring it back home and infect me and my wife and get this whole shindig over with. 

By shindig, you mean life?  If they had reopened schools, there's absolutely no way I was sending my kids back.  

In other news, my 5th grader's elementary school principal tested positive for COVID19 a week or so ago.  I suspect he got it while participating in the food pickup at the school.  He is doing okay and recovering at home but he posted a video for the kids on the school's youtube channel (before we were told he had the rona) and he looked like hammered shit.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, G650 said:

Uh, this is probably why you can easily get the test man.

It surprised me that a rural doctor had the tests. We have 7 cases here which is a lot for our small population, but they are all related to a group that went to Costa Rica over spring break. I figured people here would have to go to Corpus (30 miles) or San Antonio (180) to get tested. Which you can also do. I’m sure there are parts of the country where this isn’t the case. 

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

The Walmart i was at yesterday had about 80% of the morbidly obese patrons wearing a mask. I see them quite a bit. Part of why I think we’re going to be ok. 

Did pick up last Wednesday at a WalMart grocery in a good part of town.  Curbside was taking a bit longer than usual.  I probably watched 100 people go into the store.  Maybe 10--12 of them were wearing masks.  Some appeared to be of lower means, i.e., maybe couldn't get a mask or some such.  Most appeared to be complete dipshits that didn't give a damn.  During this time, there were three apparently unrelated people that insisted upon standing in front of the exit, talking within one foot of one another, and repeatedly hugging one another.  

I got my order, took it home, bleach wiped everything before bringing it inside, and decided this all was going to take a lot longer to resolve.

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Yes, yes, yes, but please don't let that stop me from creating a totally delusional timeline of events in an alternate reality where contemporary knowledge and information is replaced with with perfect future hindsight. 

I don't know why they call it the NOVEL coronavirus. 

novel2 [ nov-uh l ] - 

adjective

of a new kind; different from anything seen or known before: a novel idea.

This is our first big one, of many more to come. The World was caught with its pants down. Every country is trying to do what is best for its citizens. Less than 90 days ago, no one had any idea how contagious it was, how deadly, or how many ways the virus could attack the body. Not ONE country was willing to tank their economy based on unforeseen circumstances. But, hindsight is 20/20. Governments will be ready the next time a pandemic happens. I believe George Bush said it best, "fool us once, shame on you. Fool us twice....we won't get fooled again."

For everyone clamoring about testing, that's fine and good, how do you propose we get millions of test tubes, swabs, and petri dishes in a couple of weeks? I bet China has been 95% of our source for 25 years, and they need all of the items for their own population. Our pipelines to these items have completely dried up, and we can't magically produce 10 million test kits a week, without time to gear up. . We have to take back our PPE, medical, and pharmaceutical industries despite higher production costs. It will bolster our National Security as well as stimulate the economy.

CHIEF

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

@justhookit Victoria county hasn’t had County run tests available since April 6th.  Article from today’s paper says they are “working on” a list of private testing that is available.....  They don’t list a single one.

This took 10 seconds to google. From their Friday press briefing.

“David Gonzales, Victoria County Public Health Department director addressed testing. The closing of the on-site specimen collection pod in Victoria does not mean there is no testing being done in Victoria. To date, 1,080 tests have been administered to date, 30 tests were administered over the last 2 days and about 30 tests are pending. Victoria County testing numbers are currently double Texas’ testing numbers.”

https://www.victoriatx.org/departments/communications-office/emergency-information/coronavirus-covid-19

10 minutes ago, justhookit said:

This took 10 seconds to google. From their Friday press briefing.

“David Gonzales, Victoria County Public Health Department director addressed testing. The closing of the on-site specimen collection pod in Victoria does not mean there is no testing being done in Victoria. To date, 1,080 tests have been administered to date, 30 tests were administered over the last 2 days and about 30 tests are pending. Victoria County testing numbers are currently double Texas’ testing numbers.”

https://www.victoriatx.org/departments/communications-office/emergency-information/coronavirus-covid-19

Yea the only way to get tested right now is the ones they have at the hospital if you are sick, I wouldn’t call that readily available testing though like y’all have. Atleast that’s what people that live in Victoria have told me when they tried to get tested.

Edited by Hook1997

6 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Yea the only way to get tested right now is the ones they have at the hospital if you are sick, I wouldn’t call that readily available testing though like y’all have. 

Here is a listing of multiple places to get tested in NW Harris county. Prescreening required for the private locations as they want to test symptomatic patients. 

spacer.png

Texas Panhandle (26) counties   population 438,000 (rounded)......COVID 19 cases=  423

https://www.newschannel10.com/2020/04/18/amarillo-covid-cases-reach-april/

Williamson County population  590,000 (rounded)....... COVID 19 cases= 151

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/williamson-county-reports-five-new-covid-19-cases-recoveries-climb-to-90

• Like 1

Austin/Travis County numbers for today were just released and are only up 18!     ( https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984 )

Confirmed cases

That's the lowest increase in about a month.

jpeg

We should have a giant party downtown or something. 

Edited by 0xdeadbeef

Here is a listing of multiple places to get tested in NW Harris county. Prescreening required for the private locations as they want to test symptomatic patients. 

E0-A7-D0-AA-7993-42-A1-A963-77-A89-E90-D0-B6.jpg

This is not proof of the earlier post that said anyone can get tested. That actually says the opposite, only those with symptoms or exposure to a covid positive person.

Also, aren’t there many areas around the country where the testing continues to be more limited? There have been numerous news stories over the last week of people getting sick but still not able to get tested because they didn’t fit the target profile. It seems like there is rationing occurring and that there is not open testing for anyone that wants it, but it’s difficult to know without clear data.

10 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Austin/Travis County numbers for today were just released and are only up 18!     ( https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984 )

Confirmed cases

jpeg

That's fucking great if it is not an artifact and the trend continues.  Until of course we start doing dumb shit. 

27 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Confirmed cases

jpeg

Let's see where we are in about a week or so after the protest downtown today.

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

Windy.

If Port A gets a hurricane this year this island will go nuts. People are already losing their minds but still mostly doing a good job of staying isolated. If we go another few weeks with a closed beach though it won’t be pretty.

Beach got crazy leading up to spring break, that first weekend of SB in mid march was nuts all thing considered.  It seemed every day afterward the number of people halved it closed.  I was more than happy to shelter in place/social distance on the beach during the days with the next closest person hanging out 50-100 yards away.  Of course there was an exception at cinnamon shores, a group of what looked like 7-8 families arrived after spring break and crowded together with their 30 or so kids.  Social distancing completely escaped them.  

19 hours ago, gmr548 said:

This is a stupid concept all around. Number one, generational "toughness" is a stupid concept. Number two, military service does not equal "toughness." Three, millennials were born early 80s to mid 90s. Most were not eligible to enlist after 9/11. I'm 28, toward the younger end of the millennial cohort. I was in fourth grade in 2001, was not 18 until 2010.

By the time most of the generation were legally adults, Iraq had long since been exposed and the US military was downsizing from its post 9/11 surge of personnel. Also worth nothing that the military downsized considerably after the Cold War. At no point in millenials' adult lives has the military been anywhere near as large as it was when boomers or Xers would have enlisted. So even ignoring the inherent stupidity of the concept, the comparison isn't apples to apples.

Yep. A generation claiming toughness because some of them served in combat is sort of like A&M claiming it's a military school even today.

The one military quote that does apply comes from Full Metal Jacket:

67f168e0bdd027f52843bc850a868c96.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Confirmed cases

jpeg

Does that mean the ~2 week count down til we get to phase 1 started yesterday? 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

This is not proof of the earlier post that said anyone can get tested. That actually says the opposite, only those with symptoms or exposure to a covid positive person.

Also, aren’t there many areas around the country where the testing continues to be more limited? There have been numerous news stories over the last week of people getting sick but still not able to get tested because they didn’t fit the target profile. It seems like there is rationing occurring and that there is not open testing for anyone that wants it, but it’s difficult to know without clear data.

I wasn’t trying to make a point, just sharing that information since I had a friend this morning complaining to me that there isn’t anywhere to get tested in Houston. Happened to come across that in the paper and thought I would share here.

Aside from that, if someone hasn’t encountered someone that’s tested positive and they aren’t showing symptoms, they are down my priority listing for having immediate access to a test.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away