Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

13 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes - neckties are fucking disgusting.

I’m tapping my sarcasm meter and the needle is not moving. Ties? You mean like the tie that you wear with a suit? What is wrong with ties?

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Almost certainly.  That said, the protesters are heavily loaded with the least vulnerable population (they skew young, AND there's some decent mask-wearing).  I think we'll see a bump in cases, but maybe not a big bump in hospitalizations and such.

I hope you are right.  But the same arguments made about reopening and the muh rights protests apply here.  It's the secondary transmissions when they younger protesters take it home and transmit it to their parents and grandparents.  I hope that you are right and we don't see a bump, but the scale and duration of these protests are so large, man I hope you are right. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, XYZ said:

I’m tapping my sarcasm meter and the needle is not moving. Ties? You mean like the tie that you wear with a suit? What is wrong with ties?

Well when you're a physician you wash your shit all the time - except ties.  They're dragged all over the place and yes - full of bacteria.  It's a common thing in medicine to get rid of ties - at least in hospitals if not a clinic setting...

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I hope you are right.  But the same arguments made about reopening and the muh rights protests apply here.  It's the secondary transmissions when they younger protesters take it home and transmit it to their parents and grandparents.  I hope that you are right and we don't see a bump, but the scale and duration of these protests are so large, man I hope you are right. 

I hope so too.  But you are definitely pointing out the risk  here -- secondary transmission.

Well when you're a physician you wash your shit all the time - except ties.  They're dragged all over the place and yes - full of bacteria.  It's a common thing in medicine to get rid of ties - at least in hospitals if not a clinic setting...
Think how many times you touch it to keep it straight throughout the day. Gross.

5 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
11 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Think how many times you touch it to keep it straight throughout the day. Gross.

A friend who was fairly attractive said that right after that lecture - and I told her it also points right at a dude's junk.  It was great because months later she said she can't look at ties the same ever again.  So at least that was good...she was a great time. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes - neckties are fucking disgusting. 

First day of clinical rotations our attending showed some studies on ties from people who work in hospitals.  Yeah, we all pretty much quit ties right then and there.  

and stopped leaning against the wall during hospital rounds.   

36 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
42 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’d venture to say that all the Surlyites here touch themselves all day, and then some.

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Update 6/1/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Wuhan Flu Deaths - Cumulative total

3/27: 1 death

5/28: 92 deaths

5/29: 92 deaths

5/30: 93 deaths

5/31: 93 deaths

6/1:   93 deaths

Last Five Days: +1 

Travis County Health Care Stats: Current numbers

5/28: Hp - 88, ICU - 38, Vent - 22

5/29: Hp - 88, ICU - 38, Vent - 22

5/30: Hp - 79, ICU - 39, Vent - 19

5/31: Hp - 79, ICU - 34, Vent - 19

6/1:  Hp: - 97, ICU - 41, Vent - 21

Last Five Days: Hp: +9, ICU: +3, Vent: -1

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

US Death Total 6/1/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 50,502 (52.8%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           45,226

Total:                                                           95,728

Top 5: Highest State Death Totals:

NY: 23,959

NJ: 11,721

Mass: 7,035

Michigan: 5,334

Illinois: 5,270

(Pennsylvania: 5,152 out of top five)

Total: 53,319 (55.7% of total deaths)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/htmlview#gid=43566737

UCPM50.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, I mean we are definitely stress testing the system with the protesting.  I think that we are going to see a spike as result of the protests over the rest of the month.

I mean, I would hate to see that all those infected with COVID-19 were local business looters.

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Update 6/1/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Wuhan Flu Deaths - Cumulative total

5/28: 92 deaths

5/28: Hp - 88, ICU - 38, Vent - 22

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

US Death Total 6/1/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 50,502 (52.8%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           45,226

Total:                                                           95,728

NY: 23,959

NJ: 11,721

(Pennsylvania: 5,152 out of top five)

Total: 53,319 (55.7% of total deaths)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/htmlview#gid=43566737

43rciu.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

C3LXFc1WIAInv_H.jpg

• Like 2

Update 6/2/20

Travis County Kung Flu (for DDD) Deaths - Cumulative total

6/2:   93 deaths

6/2:  Hp - 97, ICU - 41, Vent - 21

US Death Total 6/2/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 50,573 (52.8%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           45,280

Total:                                                           95,853

NY: 24,023

NJ: 11,770

Total: 53,432 (55.7% of total deaths)

• Like 1

Ok so...we haven’t had a 2k death day in a 4 weeks. Daily Cases aren’t dropping THAT drastically off, they’re trending down noticeably but how haven’t we had at least 1 day of 2k cumulative deaths when according to worldometer our largest case days were in late April early May?

Is the remdesivir(sp) and other treatments really starting to show their effects in early stages of the sickness in the graphs? Did this disease run out of people to kill in bulk numbers? I can’t imagine there many LTC/nursing homes left in America, at least in the urban parts, that haven’t had multiple cases.

24 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Update 6/2/20

Travis County Kung Flu (for DDD) Deaths - Cumulative total

6/2:   93 deaths

6/2:  Hp - 97, ICU - 41, Vent - 21

US Death Total 6/2/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 50,573 (52.8%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           45,280

Total:                                                           95,853

NY: 24,023

NJ: 11,770

Total: 53,432 (55.7% of total deaths)

Not sure if posted above but Dallas County had a record new number of cases and deaths today.  Hopefully it's just a blip.  Hospitalizations appear flat, which is encouraging.

14 hours ago, justhookit said:

I heard Adler was thanking the “protesters” on Saturday for wearing masks. Talk about clueless. But that should likely go on the circus of insane thread. Back on point Port A is full open, except for a surprising number of bars that are doing their best to obey the rules. I won’t mention any names but I have heard it’s hard to get a drink at 361.

today my boss, who is a smart guy, mentioned the riots and said at least the Austin people were all wearing masks.  I said really you think they were wearing masks due to covid?  he was confused for a second and then said..."good point."

• Like 1

I would be really impressed if we don’t see a spike from the protests. Actually I’d be really encouraged this thing might be closer to over 

I’ve checked out of this thread since we de facto declared the pandemic mostly over (btw is that Greenspoint fellow still cowering in a corner?) but I thought the data was pretty strong that viral load was key to transmission and you are like 20 times safer being outdoors. I remember reading that mass spreading events almost always occurred in confined spaces where people were in close proximity for an hour or more and running their mouths, singing, etc. is that not still the going theory?
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

I’ve checked out of this thread since we de facto declared the pandemic mostly over (btw is that Greenspoint fellow still cowering in a corner?) but I thought the data was pretty strong that viral load was key to transmission and you are like 20 times safer being outdoors. I remember reading that mass spreading events almost always occurred in confined spaces where people were in close proximity for an hour or more and running their mouths, singing, etc. is that not still the going theory?

it was mainly old folks homes, mass transit, meat packing plants, and mardi gras. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

what you mean 'we,' kemosabe?”

As to your question, I think indoor events are more likely to result in mass-spreading, but I don't believe transmission is impossible outdoors. I certainly don't think we have any reliable evidence suggesting large scale spreading is unlikely during crowded outdoor events. 

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

what you mean 'we,' kemosabe?”

As to your question, I think indoor events are more likely to result in mass-spreading, but I don't believe transmission is impossible outdoors. I certainly don't think we have any reliable evidence suggesting large scale spreading is unlikely during crowded outdoor events. 

I don't know abut that.  We don't have any controlled experimental evidence that demonstrates that, but the lack of massive flare-ups following the Spring Break revelers crowding onto beaches in Texas and Florida and doing shots off each others' butt cracks is certainly SOME evidence that suggests that large scale spreading isn't necessarily likely during crowded outdoor events.

I don't know abut that.  We don't have any controlled experimental evidence that demonstrates that, but the lack of massive flare-ups following the Spring Break revelers crowding onto beaches in Texas and Florida and doing shots off each others' butt cracks is certainly SOME evidence that suggests that large scale spreading isn't necessarily likely during crowded outdoor events.

Back to doing butthole shots!

https://apnews.com/3c061794970661042b18d5aeaaed9fae

"WHO officials were lauding China in public because they wanted to coax more information out of the government, the recordings obtained by the AP suggest. Privately, they complained in meetings the week of Jan. 6 that China was not sharing enough data to assess how effectively the virus spread between people or what risk it posed to the rest of the world, costing valuable time."

What's the point of the WHO if they are going to lie to the public and can't get access to information. They should have been calling China out from the start.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, BNB said:

"WHO officials were lauding China in public because they wanted to coax more information out of the government, the recordings obtained by the AP suggest. Privately, they complained in meetings the week of Jan. 6 that China was not sharing enough data to assess how effectively the virus spread between people or what risk it posed to the rest of the world, costing valuable time."

What's the point of the WHO if they are going to lie to the public and can't get access to information. They should have been calling China out from the start.

obligatory...you know.

10 minutes ago, Nonbryan said:

So are we supposed to be back to normal yet or what?  Asking for a friend.

What are your interests?

work, family events, fishing, taking the kids to the playground, dinner with the neighbors,....? Absolutely not!

Now get out there and loot a Target.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What sucks is I think testing is going to go way down these next few days. Hope not but MN had 50% drop today(yesterday) in tests vs the last few weeks. I still have an idea what the numbers are if we put up regular test numbers

Testing also may go way up in a week or 2 after the first brunt of protestors get sick

2020 is one big mindfuck for the history books and it’s not even half way over yet, and there’s a thing going on in November

Where do you get tested in a Minneapolis now?   

25 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

What are your interests?

work, family events, fishing, taking the kids to the playground, dinner with the neighbors,....? Absolutely not!

Now get out there and loot a Target.

AYE AYE CAPTAIN!!!!  ARRRRGH!!

4 hours ago, BNB said:

“We were working covertly to get more information out of China!!” 

~the day after the US vows to end their heavy monetary sponsorship of WHO operations. 

Edited by Trey3216

Ya we had a 5-7 day break from Corona coverage. Now they will start driving the next outbreak from the protesters. They also are already driving how bad the winter is going to be.

Im not saying there won’t be a second wave but this is a never ending target for some.

• Like 2

Guest Lobo

They've already got a scary enough story---the first named storm to jump from the Pacific into the Gulf in May in recorded human history is pretty fucked up.  

In other news, I quit wearing a mask and sneezed on somebody at the liquor store the other day . Apparently that's still frowned upon. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away