Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

That plus driverless cars should make traffic and almost all car deaths a thing of the past.

I am going to Colorado for three weeks which we usually do in the summer.  Taking my laptop, docking station and screen.  With wifi and zoom meetings, I can do basically anything I can do sitting in my office.

Not good for commercial real estate though.  Maybe some office buildings can be converted into apartments?

I know some investors already making moves in this direction.

34 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

"No thanks I'll just ignore the obvious hole in my preferred narrative. Because a conspiracy among the countless local jurisdictions across the country is a lot more believable than way fewer car accidents due to people staying home."

Problem with this country in a nutshell.

Spider Man Reaction GIF

19 minutes ago, NoName said:

i am guessing there is an age component to those who want to see you in person? is there an acuity component?

As I'm working in Neurology, if you have any symptoms or a fever, you won't be coming into the clinic. Past that there is no restrictions. Originally we were not seeing anyone over 50 years old in clinic. We also have the waiting room consistently empty, moving patients to rooms and doing a complete wipe down of the room after each patient as well as the waiting room.

The point however is that patients are making decisions despite the ability of Telemed to be seen in person.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

That plus driverless cars should make traffic and almost all car deaths a thing of the past.

I am going to Colorado for three weeks which we usually do in the summer.  Taking my laptop, docking station and screen.  With wifi and zoom meetings, I can do basically anything I can do sitting in my office.

Not good for commercial real estate though.  Maybe some office buildings can be converted into apartments?

Commercial real estate is going to absolutely shit bed. Not quite yet, but the process has been set in motion. My company still has 2.5 years on its commercial lease but absolutely won't be renewing after that. 

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’ve said this 30x.  We see whole nursing homes ending up positive now with hardly anyone getting very sick.  It’s spreading as easily but not as potent.  That is likely to change in the fall but not a guarantee.  We are better at treating too but I don’t have access to treat with the same meds in NH’s and patients are still usually fine.  This is not what we were dealing with in March.  

I've seen you comment on this a few times and sorry if I missed this part of it already, but do you think this is driven by reduced viral load due to the hotter weather or CV19 mutating to a weaker strain or what?  It's something I've struggled to understand - steady ~20k/day new cases along with a steady decline in daily deaths.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Who will be dumb enough to build the last office parking garage in an urban core in this country?  

I'm sure someone in San Antonio will be dumb enough to do it. In fact, they built a massive via station/parking garage in the middle of one of San Antonio's more affluent areas. You know, because they expected people with money in San Antonio to ride a Via bus to work. Unsurprisingly, it sits there with anywhere between 1 and 3 cars parked in the massive garage per day. 

16 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I'm sure someone in San Antonio will be dumb enough to do it. In fact, they built a massive via station/parking garage in the middle of one of San Antonio's more affluent areas. You know, because they expected people with money in San Antonio to ride a Via bus to work. Unsurprisingly, it sits there with anywhere between 1 and 3 cars parked in the massive garage per day. 

LOL, people act as if those passive construction jobs are built for a purpose other than to line dozens of pockets.  Happens everywhere.  

44 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

My employer is building a new corporate office right behind the Ferrari dealership by the Rim. I imagine that the majority of us will not be occupying that office space now that we proved we can work remotely without issues. 

51 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Username checks out.

Also... the numbers here in San Antonio are very troubling. 1000 new cases in the past week in an area where the total number of cases is 5550. Yes, ~20% of all cases have popped up in the past 7 days. Hospitalizations have doubled in the last 7 days and more than tripled since June 6. 14.5% positive test rate on yesterday's numbers (408 new cases). 

I don't know what the fuck is going on here -- I mean, I do, but people have got to get their shit together. Wear a mask for fuck's sake.

Update 6/18/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Kung Flu Deaths - Cumulative total

3/27: 1 death

6/9: 98 deaths

6/10: 99 deaths

6/11: 99 deaths

6/12: 101 deaths

6/13: 104 deaths

6/14: 104 deaths

6/15: 104 deaths

6/16: 106 deaths

6/17:  108 deaths

6/18:  108 deaths

Last 10 Days: +10

Travis County Health Care Stats: Current numbers

6/9: Hp - 88

6/10: Hp - 91, ICU - 36, Vent - 26

6/11: HP - 104, ICU - 44, Vent - 27

6/12: Hp - 112, ICU - 46, Vent - 26

6/13: Hp - 111, ICU - -48, Vent - 24

6/14: Hp - 129, ICU - 52, Vent - 29

6/15: Hp - 142, ICU - 52, Vent - 31

6/16: HP - 158, ICU - 59, Vent - 28

6/17: Hp - 173, ICU - 63, Vent - 26

6/18: Hp - 173, ICU - 63, Vent - 26

Last 10 Days: Hp: +85 , ICU: +23,Vent: +1

Ten Day Average HP (rolling): 128.1   

10 Day Avg on 6/11 - 91.5

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

US Death Total 6/18/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 59,652 (54.3%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           50,141

Total:                                                         109,793

Top 5: Highest State Death Totals:

NY: 24,661

NJ: 12,800

Mass: 7,770

Pennsylvania: 6,361

Illinois: 6,260

Total: 56,426 (52.7% of total deaths)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/htmlview#gid=43566737

Edited by ChickenSandwich

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Update 6/18/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Kung Flu Deaths - Cumulative total

3/27: 1 death

6/9: 98 deaths

6/10: 99 deaths

6/11: 99 deaths

6/12: 101 deaths

6/13: 104 deaths

6/14: 104 deaths

6/15: 104 deaths

6/16: 106 deaths

6/17:  108 deaths

6/18:  108 deaths

Last 10 Days: +10

Travis County Health Care Stats: Current numbers

6/9: Hp - 88

6/10: Hp - 91, ICU - 36, Vent - 26

6/11: HP - 104, ICU - 44, Vent - 27

6/12: Hp - 112, ICU - 46, Vent - 26

6/13: Hp - 111, ICU - -48, Vent - 24

6/14: Hp - 129, ICU - 52, Vent - 29

6/15: Hp - 142, ICU - 52, Vent - 31

6/16: HP - 158, ICU - 59, Vent - 28

6/17: Hp - 173, ICU - 63, Vent - 26

6/18: Hp - 173, ICU - 63, Vent - 26

Last 10 Days: Hp: +85 , ICU: +23,Vent: +1

Ten Day Average HP (rolling): 128.1   

10 Day Avg on 6/11 - 91.5

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

US Death Total 6/12/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 57,657 (54.6%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           47,913

Total:                                                         105,570

Top 5: Highest State Death Totals:

NY: 24,442

NJ: 12,489

Mass: 7,538

Pennsylvania: 6,162

Illinois: 5,795

Total: 56,426 (53.4% of total deaths)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/htmlview#gid=43566737

I think they didn’t update the data yesterday.

1 hour ago, StruggleBus said:

Are you referring to the one on the North side off of US-281?

16 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Username checks out.

Also... the numbers here in San Antonio are very troubling. 1000 new cases in the past week in an area where the total number of cases is 5550. Yes, ~20% of all cases have popped up in the past 7 days. Hospitalizations have doubled in the last 7 days and more than tripled since June 6. 14.5% positive test rate on yesterday's numbers (408 new cases). 

I don't know what the fuck is going on here -- I mean, I do, but people have got to get their shit together. Wear a mask for fuck's sake.

I'm glad the mandate was passed for masks starting Monday. The entire last month went from lockdown to full IDGAF mode in SA. Hopefully it helps, but shit, if things don't slow down a bit here it could get ugly. 

1 minute ago, StruggleBus said:

yep

I thought so.  When I was working on the 281 project last year I kept thinking"why isn't that thing open"? Turns out that it was, just empty.

The real pisser is that one of the bridges was to connect to it.  Talk about a waste of money?  Damn

8 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I thought so.  When I was working on the 281 project last year I kept thinking"why isn't that thing open"? Turns out that it was, just empty.

The real pisser is that one of the bridges was to connect to it.  Talk about a waste of money?  Damn

Ah, yes. The bridge that connects the empty via bus to the empty parking lot. Talk about a great idea!

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’ve said this 30x.  We see whole nursing homes ending up positive now with hardly anyone getting very sick.  It’s spreading as easily but not as potent.  That is likely to change in the fall but not a guarantee.  We are better at treating too but I don’t have access to treat with the same meds in NH’s and patients are still usually fine.  This is not what we were dealing with in March.  

Hope it's not as potent.

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/60-confirmed-covid-19-cases-at-luling-nursing-home-facility/

A nursing home facility in Luling has 60 confirmed COVID-19 cases out of 150 residents and staff that were tested, according to the Caldwell County Office of Emergency Management.

Both COVID-19-related deaths in Caldwell County were residents at the facility. Out of the five Caldwell County nursing facilities that were tested, the Luling facility was the only one with confirmed cases, Caldwell County reported. 

The National Guard immediately conducted an extensive decontamination of the facility. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, MoJames said:

The most interesting part of the working from home part is the amount of patient's that aren't interested in it. Certainly I've had a good amount of patient's that I've seen through Telemed, but now that I'm coming back to clinic twice a week, I'm amazed at the amount of people that are itching to get seen in person.

Eventually they'll realize they can drain their victims over the internet and they won't need to come in.

spacer.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

"No thanks I'll just ignore the obvious hole in my preferred narrative. Because a conspiracy among the countless local jurisdictions across the country is a lot more believable than way fewer car accidents due to people staying home."

Problem with this country in a nutshell.

Moving vehicle accidents don’t drive the overall number of deaths in the us on a yearly basis.   The run about 35,000 deaths per year out of a total of 2.8M.   It’s about 1.2% of total deaths.  

try again.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Moving vehicle accidents don’t drive the overall number of deaths in the us on a yearly basis.   The run about 35,000 deaths per year out of a total of 2.8M.   It’s about 1.2% of total deaths.  

try again.   

Was going to try to throw out a car pun, but I'm exhausted.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Players that decide to participate will be subject to extensive testing, quarantines from their families and strict rules pertaining to social behavior.

Translation for a stable of super athletes so fit they have as much chance dying from COVID as being struck by lightning:  "NBA" now stands for NO BANGING....AT ALL.  Have fun in quarantine....

4 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I've seen you comment on this a few times and sorry if I missed this part of it already, but do you think this is driven by reduced viral load due to the hotter weather or CV19 mutating to a weaker strain or what?  It's something I've struggled to understand - steady ~20k/day new cases along with a steady decline in daily deaths.

Could be either.  I have zero idea.  I just kmow what we see as a very large group.  Whatever it is - this is NOT what we had in Spring.  

are all these comparisons to New York meaning that New York is doing it correctly now, or that it already went through and killed everyone there so there's no one left to get infected?

Edited by Viper
  • Like 3

Navy reversed their reversal today  Captain of the USS Roosevelt is officially canned from command.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/navy-upholds-firing-carrier-captain-holds-promotion-admiral/story?id=71325876

the review claimed that the Captain made mistakes before the news found its way to the press so he gets fired anyway.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/northwest-austin/development/2020/05/20/developers-break-ground-on-128000-square-foot-office-building-aspen-lake-three-in-northwest-austin/
This new office building is being built around the corner from me.

Talked with our facility and resource mgmt team today, and my company is still glad we’re adding another building despite future WFH opportunities.  They are talking about redesigning many of the open floor plans and adding more walls (possibly made of glass) to break up the floors into sections and this will also add more closed offices.  There will still be the community elevators, bathrooms, coffee bars and printer but with masks they still think we could limit the spread effectively if this continues on or anything like this occurs again in the future.  They still have some challenges to work out like keeping people separate during mass movement events like fire drills and “all hands” meetings but this all still sounds encouraging.

What do y'all think of this chart? I saw it initially on the Karl Denninger blog and I decided to make my own with more years, and I adjusted the deaths each year according to population growth. It shows the number of weekly deaths. I want you to focus on the red curve, where it dips below the others. Why do you think that is happening? In case you are thinking "fewer vehicle accident deaths", the average weekly number of deaths in vehicle accidents is around 730. As of the last reported week on this chart, which ended on 6/6, we were at around 15,000 fewer weekly deaths than previous years, so even if all 730 vehicle accidents went away (they didn't), that would only account for 5% of the drop in deaths.

396250763_AllCauseMortality.thumb.png.0f2bfcbcfdf95cc83e3a0c143e23232b.png

ABC News just reporter that New York has seen a massive increase in heart attacks over the last few months. 4,000 heart attacks and 90% fatal! They attribute the surge to undiagnosed coronavirus. Those numbers are not included in the NY death numbers. Scary stuff.

3 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Navy reversed their reversal today  Captain of the USS Roosevelt is officially canned from command.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/navy-upholds-firing-carrier-captain-holds-promotion-admiral/story?id=71325876

the review claimed that the Captain made mistakes before the news found its way to the press so he gets fired anyway.

How shocking they put this out on a Friday afternoon.  This was a White House decision.  

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Or just fat fucks who would of died from a heart attack. Got absolutely no exercise for 3 months and ate at home. Then went out had a cheeseburger and the ol ticker went kaboom

And a bunch of people who are stressed the f out from being stuck at home and experiencing extremely negative financial hardship with nothing they can do.

• Like 2

I'm apparently too incompetent to paste a tweet but...

NEW: San Antonio’s coronavirus outbreak is spiraling. Officials have reported 412 new cases today. There have been 1,569 cases reported since Monday. 

Four more people have died, bringing the local death toll to 96. 

The positivity rate for the past week is *19 percent. 

4 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Guess where my parents live...and where I'm going to visit in 2 weeks...😬

Meh. Just wait until it gets hot in Arizona. 

I just came from a baseball tournament in scenic Lovell, WY where none of the players, coaches, spectators, umpires, or food truck people had on a mask. 

real smart considering my county had like 2 total cases up to last week, and 8 cases this week. Hey, maybe it’s here now. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away