Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

35 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

The NY Times has a map up showing your chances of encountering people all wearing masks in five random encounters:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/07/17/upshot/coronavirus-face-mask-map.html

They polled 250,000 people asking how often they wear masks and used the data to create a map showing which areas of the country probably have more mask wearers.

The map looks....familiar 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You mean the Texas portion?  A deep pink, surrounded by softer shades of almost a coral rouge color.  Before fading up top into a fleshy color as you approach Oklahoma.  

reminds me of Stone Oak's mom in a way, just not sure why...

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

You mean the Texas portion?  A deep pink, surrounded by softer shades of almost a coral rouge color.  Before fading up top into a fleshy color as you approach Oklahoma.  

reminds me of Stone Oak's mom in a way, just not sure why...

No the map correlates to a map from 2016. That’s all. Almost exactly too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Cynical me says half the "Yes I wear a mask" responders are assholes using them as chin-straps, while half the "Never wear one!" are blustering rednecks who do indeed put one on if the have to go to Walmart, albeit with their schnozz hanging out.

I take Mr. Miyagi's advice to Daniel-san: Best block is not be there! I don't know if I'll meet 5 people in masks, because I refuse to expose myself to that many people. Usually like 3 people per week.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

The NY Times has a map up showing your chances of encountering people all wearing masks in five random encounters:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/07/17/upshot/coronavirus-face-mask-map.html

They polled 250,000 people asking how often they wear masks and used the data to create a map showing which areas of the country probably have more mask wearers.

Polling sucks because people lie. How many of those saying "no" are "the gubmint can't tell me what to do" types who are definitely wearing masks at their job at Walmart?

31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I cant get it to post here but there’s a chart in the middle of this article called:

“Chance everyone is masked in five random encounters”

This is one of my favorite misleading graphs in a while.  Check the Y axis.  Another, less stupid way to present this is “pretty much exactly the same.”  Top line to bottom line on the graph is a total difference of 6 percent.  

12 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I cant get it to post here but there’s a chart in the middle of this article called:

“Chance everyone is masked in five random encounters”

This is one of my favorite misleading graphs in a while.  Check the Y axis.  Another, less stupid way to present this is “pretty much exactly the same.”  Top line to bottom line on the graph is a total difference of 6 percent.  

What are the chances south Austin’s mom is masked in 5 encounters?

spacer.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, XYZ said:

Why would he go through the trouble of suing? Is it that there are “titans of industry” pushing him to open the economy up and pretend that we are not in a global pandemic so that their bank accounts will get slightly more padded? Is it a move designed to capture votes from the “muh rights!” crowd? I don’t get it.

If you prevent cities/counties from enacting mandatory mask orders, you can help contribute to a huge jump in cases, and then ask Washington for relief for businesses.  Including maybe businesses that were already in trouble pre-covid.

For those businesses who were doing alright, those "titans of industry" would benefit from everybody wearing a mask and keeping things open, rather than spreading it and shutting things down again.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/16/us/chuck-woolery-son-covid-19/index.html

Former game show host Chuck Woolery's son has Covid-19, a spokesperson for Woolery said Thursday.

"Chuck's son is fine and asymptomatic," Mark Young, with Jekyll and Hyde Advertising, told CNN.

Woolery deactivated his Twitter account Wednesday, Young said.

In his last posted tweet, Woolery said, "Covid-19 is real and it is here."

"My son tested positive for the virus, and I feel for those suffering and especially for those who have lost loved ones," Woolery said in a tweet on Monday morning

That's some quick reversal.

20 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Have we tried testing less people so covid numbers will go down?

Maybe retest the dead people before they vote...

Some friends own a brewery in Montana. Their mandatory mask order started yesterday so the wife posted up at the door to check masks and hand them out as needed. She told us about an exchange she had earlier today...

Two women walk up with no masks.

Friend: “hello. Do you need a mask?”

Lady pulls out her phone and starts filming and says “I have a medical condition. We both do and can’t use a mask.”

Friend: “why are you filming?”

Lady: “To document how you are discriminating against me!!!”

Friend: “ok. Are you dining in or getting to go?”

Lady: “I have a condition do you understand?!?!”

Friend: “ok. For your safety, I can seat you on the patio if you want to dine in. If you want to go, I’ll take your order and you don’t even have to go inside.”

Lady turns to the camera and starts crying “ can you believe how she treated me!?!?” and they walked away.

Holy fuck. America is dead.

Yesterday a guy refused to wear one because it was illegal to wear a mask and conceal carry. My friend said great. We don’t allow guns on the premises. They posted that rule because twice some numnuts left a pistol on the fucking towel dispenser in the shitter.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Not sure how accurate this map is. About 4 out of 5 people you saw walking around in Teton County in WY and ID had masks. It was 100% inside stores. Those two areas are a very light shade on the map. 

About twice a week I have a patient want to explain to me how this is all a hoax. I tell them none of the hospitals will let me do surgery if it requires an overnight stay because all the beds normally available for surgical patients are full of Covid patients and people are still having heart attacks strokes and getting fucked up in fights and car wrecks.  That convinces most of them but there are still a few dumbfucks that want to try and argue. I offer to take them on a tour of the Covid floors. Funny but not a single one has taken the offer

• Like 8

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Some friends own a brewery in Montana. Their mandatory mask order started yesterday so the wife posted up at the door to check masks and hand them out as needed. She told us about an exchange she had earlier today...

Lady pulls out her phone and starts filming and says “I have a medical condition. We both do and can’t use a mask.”

Friend: “ok. For your safety, I can seat you on the patio if you want to dine in. If you want to go, I’ll take your order and you don’t even have to go inside.”

Lady turns to the camera and starts crying “ can you believe how she treated me!?!?” and they walked away.

Yesterday a guy refused to wear one because it was illegal to wear a mask and conceal carry. My friend said great. We don’t allow guns on the premises. They posted that rule because twice some numnuts left a pistol on the fucking towel dispenser in the shitter.

Im-being-repressed.gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

CSB. I mean yes that happens, but it’s probably less than 1% of the population. America isn’t dead. Shitshow of all shitshows down here on the beach, but people are being really good about masks.

How many people did she interact with that didn’t do anything like that?

it’s not news that there are a lot of idiots/assholes out there.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2020 at 11:25 PM, NorthLoop said:

Also this talk of weddings during Covid.

My uncle is getting remarried.  He called me a couple of weeks ago to let me know of the plans.  Small gathering, indoors, 30 people, spaced out at tables. 

Told him I was sorry to have to miss it.  He told me they were having a big party when all of this is over.  I'm thinking to myself, then just go get married and skip the risk of exposure to your nearest and dearest.  I unfollowed his soon-to-be wife on FB this morning.  I gather from her posts on other topics that she is not entirely convinced this is real.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Why is that news/tweet worthy? Not looking at you but the person behind the tweet. Been that way for a while now, at least a month. 

that said, this was the high street 2.5 small street blocks from my place on Thursday night: Link 

On the one hand I’m jealous cause I’m not going and it’s tittays on parade season But on the other hand, if incidence of the bug in the nyc population is closer to Europe levels (wasn’t there a graph on here a couple days ago showing 736 total cases for all of NY state?) and this is all outdoor, maybe it isn’t that bad? 

Honestly don’t know, but I hope we don’t and aren’t shitting the bed all over again. The tweet was from Thursday but it’s been like that for weeks now and last night was no different. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Why is that news/tweet worthy? Not looking at you but the person behind the tweet. Been that way for a while now, at least a month. 

that said, this was the high street 2.5 small street blocks from my place on Thursday night: Link 

On the one hand I’m jealous cause I’m not going and it’s tittays on parade season But on the other hand, if incidence of the bug in the nyc population is closer to Europe levels (wasn’t there a graph on here a couple days ago showing 736 total cases for all of NY state?) and this is all outdoor, maybe it isn’t that bad? 

Honestly don’t know, but I hope we don’t and aren’t shitting the bed all over again. The tweet was from Thursday but it’s been like that for weeks now and last night was no different. 

Yeah if that was indoors I’d say y’all are fucked again. Outdoors isn’t exactly great but seems to be ok. The indoor stuff is what screwed up Texas. I haven’t been inside a bar or restaurant since March. I miss it. Sometime in 2021 I guess.

CSB. I mean yes that happens, but it’s probably less than 1% of the population. America isn’t dead. Shitshow of all shitshows down here on the beach, but people are being really good about masks.
How many people did she interact with that didn’t do anything like that?

it’s not news that there are a lot of idiots/assholes out there.

Agreed that it’s not news that a lot of assholes exist. What’s new is that they’re so fucking empowered and proud to flaunt their assholery. It remains jaw-dropping.
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

That’s farther down, Just by a couple avenue blocks. The blink gym in his subsequent day after tweet is my gym And shows Lunera, Basurero, and ritmo 60 which are all lots of fun in non CoVID times, but I’ve seen them all have zero distancing for over a month now. 

• Fuck You 1

16 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Did you get their badge number?

1 hour ago, achooloco said:

Waitaminute! I thought all the dumbasses were in Texas?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Yeah if that was indoors I’d say y’all are fucked again. Outdoors isn’t exactly great but seems to be ok. The indoor stuff is what screwed up Texas. I haven’t been inside a bar or restaurant since March. I miss it. Sometime in 2021 I guess.

My son & dil went into a TexMex joint in our neighborhood Wednesday to eat. Only six tables (Spaced out) going out of the original 18-20. But the bar....

52C9849F-8117-4C99-929A-F520E0B60F8E.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

There maybe some kind of stimulus in the next few weeks (otherwise Congress heads home for the August recess, until after Labor Day) and possibly released around August 15-27 (based on the speed of the Treasury).  One of the Treasury officials said they were working closely with both parties to get something put together quickly, and voted on by the end of the month.  Otherwise, a shitload of people will probably lose their homes/apartments, as the earliest additional stimulus would be decided upon and released would be late September.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

My uncle is getting remarried.  He called me a couple of weeks ago to let me know of the plans.  Small gathering, indoors, 30 people, spaced out at tables. 

Told him I was sorry to have to miss it.  He told me they were having a big party when all of this is over.  I'm thinking to myself, then just go get married and skip the risk of exposure to your nearest and dearest.  I unfollowed his soon-to-be wife on FB this morning.  I gather from her posts on other topics that she is not entirely convinced this is real.

Good for him. His days are numbered, so he might as well sign up to fuck a psycho chick for the rest of em. 

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

People have lost their damn minds

You assume they had their minds to begin with? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

It’s the wonder virus. Does a little of everything. 

Kind of a renaissance virus, if you will.  Well-rounded and completely ignored by ignorant people.  However, turned un-enlightened folks into armchair scientists and statisticians, so in a way, the opposite.  But you're right...the damn thing is a wonder.  It's emboldened some of the dumbest people I've ever known to believe they can chime in on public health policy while they vilify some of the most brilliant people our society has to offer.  Curious juxtaposition.  Something of a reverse-renaissance for the United States, it would seem.  

I miss the days when being born dumb or consciously staying uneducated was embarrassing.  

40 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Kind of a renaissance virus, if you will.  Well-rounded and completely ignored by ignorant people.  However, turned un-enlightened folks into armchair scientists and statisticians, so in a way, the opposite.  But you're right...the damn thing is a wonder.  It's emboldened some of the dumbest people I've ever known to believe they can chime in on public health policy while they vilify some of the most brilliant people our society has to offer.  Curious juxtaposition.  Something of a reverse-renaissance for the United States, it would seem.  

I miss the days when being born dumb or consciously staying uneducated was embarrassing.  

Yea I was thinking about the myriad side effects and symptoms the virus causes. But that too. 

I hear you though. I like people usually but I hate the public. 

My kid’s baseball coach just got back from a tournament in Jackson with his older kid. There’s a mask requirement in Teton county for indoors, but he said the square was jam packed with people, and none were wearing the masks that they no doubt had on them in order to go inside anywhere. 
...also I just made a reservation for a hotel in Bozeman for a baseball tourney next weekend, and occupancy is very full in hotels as well as rv campgrounds.  So maybe dense city hotels are feeling it, but that’s not a nationwide phenomenon.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away