Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

30 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

It is a little more nuanced than that if you actually read the article and his comments. Basically, the theory goes that something happened late in late May or early June that led to the rise in cases. Southern states had reopened with fewer restrictions at that time because they hadn't experienced a severe outbreak. However the surge came long enough after those reopenings that the reopenings alone could not be to blame. His theory is that people from northern states where infections had been more prevalent came down to the southern states for vacation. That started outbreaks in the southern states. And those outbreaks were able to readily spread as a result of the reopenings. 

So, his conclusion (or rather, speculation) is that the virus was introduced into south by people going on vacation from northern states. The virus then spread rapidly in the south because everything was open without sufficient restrictions. If any of that is true, then reopening was still a bad idea and still to blame for what is happening. I guess this theory isn't absurd, but it also isn't very well vetted and I'm surprised to see a public health official openly speculating like this. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 1

It is a little more nuanced than that if you actually read the article and his comments. Basically, the theory goes that something happened late in late May or early June that led to the rise in cases. Southern states had reopened with fewer restrictions at that time because they hadn't experienced a severe outbreak. However the surge came long enough after those reopenings that the reopenings alone could not be to blame. His theory is that people from northern states where infections had been more prevalent came down to the southern states for vacation. That started outbreaks in the southern states. And those outbreaks were able to readily spread as a result of the reopenings. 
So, his conclusion (or rather, speculation) is that the virus was introduced into south by people going on vacation from northern states. The virus then spread rapidly in the south because everything was open without sufficient restrictions. If any of that is true, then reopening was still a bad idea and still to blame for what is happening. I guess this theory isn't absurd, but it also isn't very well vetted and I'm surprised to see a public health official openly speculating like this. 

I agree that the public speculation is unfounded and unwarranted even if it is an interesting and possibly plausible explanation.

That said, reopening locally may not have been a problem but reopening to visitors from hotspots may have been. Maybe the southern states should have had a 2 week quarantine in place for any out of state travelers like the northern states have. And of course, this is only true if the unsubstantiated theory is proven to be true.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

I agree that the public speculation is unfounded and unwarranted even if it is an interesting and possibly plausible explanation.

That said, reopening locally may not have been a problem but reopening to visitors from hotspots may have been. Maybe the southern states should have had a 2 week quarantine in place for any out of state travelers like the northern states have. And of course, this is only true if the unsubstantiated theory is proven to be true.

Yeah, I agree with this. Of course, a huge hole in this theory is that the outbreak was never zeroed out in the south. You had active pockets of infection and continued identification of confirmed cases the whole time. So, it has to be clear that not all infections came from travelers from northern states. Maybe travel created additional flash points and tipped us over the edge into full scale outbreak. But, ultimately I think the most travel could have done would be to accelerate a process already underway as a result of the reopenings. 

• Like 2

Just now, Hate said:

Florida had a total ban on short term rentals like VRBO, AirBNB, condos, etc (although resorts operating as hotels were exempt) until Mid-May I believe for that exact reason - to prevent migration from the Northeastern hot spots at the time.

• Like 1

Maybe the northeasterners (why does that feel weird to type?) came to these hotspots because they had reopened.  Chicken and egg thing.  If I'm looking to get out of New Jersey for awhile and I google Florida or Texas or Arizona and all their restaurants are closed for takeout only, their beaches have severe restrictions, their vacation rental platforms restrict out of state renters, and most of their tourist attractions/themeparks/golf/etc. are all closed down, I'm probably not gonna bother getting on a 4 hour plane ride down there.  But if they are aggressively reopening and lifting restrictions left and right, I'm probably gonna opt for that particular state.  And bring whatever virus is in my town to meet whatever virus is in your town and have a little shindig.  

I'm glad the CDC is at least thinking about shit like this.  I'm also curious why they disappeared their case count page on their website though.  

So was the conversation like this?

"Look, we have no fucking idea because we can't contact trace worth a shit and we can't blame it on the BLM protests, can't blame it on memorial day bbqs, can't talk about border crossings from Mexico where it is fucking wheels off, so lets blame it on the "Northerners".  Especially since the NY Times wrote that article about NY seeding the spread across the country".

"Uhhh, sure, sounds good to us"

5 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

So was the conversation like this?

"Look, we have no fucking idea because we can't contact trace worth a shit and we can't blame it on the BLM protests, can't blame it on memorial day bbqs, can't talk about border crossings from Mexico where it is fucking wheels off, so lets blame it on the "Northerners".  Especially since the NY Times wrote that article about NY seeding the spread across the country".

"Uhhh, sure, sounds good to us"

Border crossings from Mexico are wheels off?

1 minute ago, stone oak said:

yOu cAn'T dIsCuSs CoViD wiThOuT pOliTiCs

Seriously, if you can't control yourself in your posts you should take a break from posting, or someone should make you take one.  When people from all sides of the political and sociological spectrum are negging your posts, you should consider whether it's you with the problem.

Just now, DDD Dad said:

Seriously, if you can't control yourself in your posts you should take a break from posting, or someone should make you take one.  When people from all sides of the political and sociological spectrum are negging your posts, you should consider whether it's you with the problem.

Nah. It's pretty easy to figure out who is negging my posts. The CR hive mind hypocrites are out in full force.

Control myself? As in, fall in line with everyone else's opinion and views. Pass.

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, stone oak said:

yOu cAn'T dIsCuSs CoViD wiThOuT pOliTiCs

There's an ocean of difference between discussing the political decisions to reopen early and ahead of guidelines, and shouting down data you don't like saying "librul cabal"

But fuck it, if the mods don't care anymore let's thunderdome this bitch.

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

There's an ocean of difference between discussing the political decisions to reopen early and ahead of guidelines, and shouting down data you don't like saying "librul cabal"

They care.  They just can't be everywhere at once. 

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'm the one posting the hard numbers. I'm sorry they don't support your politics at this time.

• Fuck You 2

8 minutes ago, stone oak said:

I'm the one posting the hard numbers. I'm sorry they don't support your politics at this time.

On 7/13/2020 at 9:08 AM, stone oak said:

The intelligent and woke left, ladies and gents.

23 hours ago, stone oak said:

Go ahead and run along back to your safe space in the CR echo chamber where you and your ilk can circle jerk to whatever highly intellectual discussion is taking place.

18 hours ago, stone oak said:

If only Oklahoma people could be as skilled at fighting COVID as NY, NJ, CT, MA, RI, PA, DE...and the other 38 states across the nation with a higher death toll per million. 

Damn deplorables!

Annotation 2020-07-15 1557301.jpg

Annotation 2020-07-15 155824.jpg

Yes, your use of loaded political terms, posting numbers without citation and out of context, and downplaying the severity of the pandemic are really adding much needed value to the thread.

Christ, can we get a new CHAZ thread going? It kept all the mouth breathers in a single circle jerk, at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stone oak said:

Speaking of hard numbers, where’s the CDC hospital dashboard?   Why’d it get gone?

Just now, Lobo said:

Speaking of hard numbers, where’s the CDC hospital dashboard?   Why’d it get gone?

The middle of a pandemic is the best time to change data collection and distribution methods, right? It's now being handled by a company called Teletracking Technologies who through a no-bid contract got a whopping $10MM (sarcasm) to build a "realtime healthcare system capacity reporting system" to replace the data collection capabilities of the CDC.

Change was made in less than 48hrs, and now the data is no longer available to the public. And hospitals have to learn a completely new system in the middle of this.

The discussion on "why" is probably more suitable for a different board.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Js1 said:

2020 America: NO IF I WANT THE NAZIS TO BOMB THE BLOCK ITS MY RIGHT. You’re the nazi fascist for telling me what to do

Not just London. They had compulsory blackouts in Beaumont and Port Arthur in 1942-43 because German U-Boats were coming up the Neches River. 

Meanwhile, my fuckstick brother in law still has his wedding scheduled for next month. They even want my daughter to be in it. 

The wife was a bit upset but understood when I informed her that we won't be attending. I just don't get who in the fuck would even consider having a wedding right now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Colorado now has a statewide mask mandate.  If you're coming here to visit, please do your part.  Our cases are increasing just like everyone else's.

That means you, @Johnny Sack

I'll be there Saturday...  already on board with the mask-a-rama.

Hopefully we'll just be doing some family shit, playing cards/ dominoes, expending ammunition, and consuming copious amounts of alcohol.

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Not just London. They had compulsory blackouts in Beaumont and Port Arthur in 1942-43 because German U-Boats were coming up the Neches River. 

There's a PBS show covering the Germans doing shit in the Gulf of Mexico.  They sunk like 15-20 ships around New Orleans/Louisiana alone, and sank over 70 ships total in the Gulf. And we sunk German subs along the Coast.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

I'll be there Saturday...  already on board with the mask-a-rama.

Hopefully we'll just be doing some family shit, playing cards/ dominoes, expending ammunition, and consuming copious amounts of alcohol.

You might not be expending ammunition.  Check into local fire restrictions (which often include restrictions on shooting).  It's fire season and it's been hot and dry lately.  

We've got the Georgia Governor banning cities/counties from implanting mask orders.  We've got legislators in Florida suing like crazy to prevent cities/counties handing out mask orders.

spacer.png

On a side note, NFL has 70+ players who tested positive last week, and the Mississippi Governor, who, oddly enough for a Mississippian, knows math, and is on twitter telling people that to reach herd immunity, they'd have to overrun the hospitals every day for over a year and kill a shitload of people before hitting even 40%.

And it's not even Friday.

I am hoping that once we have the vaccine next year, we can all just take a nice long nap/put things on cruise control for a while, and just chill the fuck out with a drink on a beach somewhere.  Except Oklahoma.  Somebody has to bring us our drink.

25 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You might not be expending ammunition.  Check into local fire restrictions (which often include restrictions on shooting).  It's fire season and it's been hot and dry lately.  

cousin is a firefighter, so he'll be aware.  Always big on the safety aspects, even if we can't shoot real straight.

Thanks for the heads up.

Meanwhile, my fuckstick brother in law still has his wedding scheduled for next month. They even want my daughter to be in it. 

The wife was a bit upset but understood when I informed her that we won't be attending. I just don't get who in the fuck would even consider having a wedding right now. 
My eldest was supposed to have a hill country wedding in August. Postponed the big ceremony for a year and doing a backyard family ceremony instead. The venue and vendors moved all our payments and deposits to the new date. They would work with your bil, but it sounds like they haven't tried.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
1 hour ago, StruggleBus said:

My eldest was supposed to have a hill country wedding in August. Postponed the big ceremony for a year and doing a backyard family ceremony instead. The venue and vendors moved all our payments and deposits to the new date. They would work with your bil, but it sounds like they haven't tried.

Yeah, a couple who is best friends with my (adult) kids had their wedding scheduled last May.  Optimistically they rescheduled for October thinking this might be over by then.  Last week they canceled altogether and the venue gave them their deposit back.  Smartly,  they are eloping and having a first anniversary party next year instead.  

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

The middle of a pandemic is the best time to change data collection and distribution methods, right? It's now being handled by a company called Teletracking Technologies who through a no-bid contract got a whopping $10MM (sarcasm) to build a "realtime healthcare system capacity reporting system" to replace the data collection capabilities of the CDC.

Change was made in less than 48hrs, and now the data is no longer available to the public. And hospitals have to learn a completely new system in the middle of this.

This is awesome. Thank you for confirming that I am, in fact, dreaming, and this whole 2020 nightmare will be over as soon as I wake up. I mean, things have felt a little surreal for awhile, but I hadn't gotten the batshit crazy, no-way-this-is-reality smoking gun. Until now.

33 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

This is awesome. Thank you for confirming that I am, in fact, dreaming, and this whole 2020 nightmare will be over as soon as I wake up. I mean, things have felt a little surreal for awhile, but I hadn't gotten the batshit crazy, no-way-this-is-reality smoking gun. Until now.

Somehow it's related, and don't ask me how it's related, but I just know it's related, that just as this shit started earlier this year, we had an insanely popular show on Netflix drop, about a flaming, gun-toting, Okie, with multiple husbands and hundreds of tigers, and a bitch who may have killed her husband and fed him to the tigers, oh, and she now owns the former tiger park in Oklahoma.

There's got to be a correlation there.

spacer.png

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away