Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

LOL, just walked by some of the trouble areas, sheriffs out in FORCE. Still early but crowds/people almost somber. Going to a bar nearby to see the fireworks unfold. Or not. People need a release but also to be safe. I hope we find a medium that allows for safe partying but who the fuck knows what that is. Fuck this virus 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, achooloco said:

LOL, just walked by some of the trouble areas, sheriffs out in FORCE. Still early but crowds/people almost somber. Going to a bar nearby to see the fireworks unfold. Or not. People need a release but also to be safe. I hope we find a medium that allows for safe partying but who the fuck knows what that is. Fuck this virus 

Not really Covid related, but I wonder if the following tweet (and replies) is also your perception of NYC as well.

45 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Not really Covid related, but I wonder if the following tweet (and replies) is also your perception of NYC as well.

Doesn't seem to be affecting Austin's vagrant population. 

55 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Yeah, no. To be fair I haven’t been in the city since March but there have always been a shit ton of mentally unstable people in nyc. And in queens since March, I have not noticed a higher number. Morning rush hour, midday, after work gets out, all the time it was possible in the city pre-CoVID. If they are sticking out more now, it COULD but not necessarily be explained by the fact that there are less “normals” going out so the people who need help are just not blending into the background. 

now, are there more people on the edge whom CoVID pushed over? Maybe, can’t definitively say no to that but I have not seen a higher number of them in the streets near me. I’ll be honest, the tweeter sounds like a sheltered individual but I don’t know her from Adam (Eve?). There’s always random but not necessarily crazy shit going on. 

i will say there is a fair amount of pent up energy but unlike other years when that same energy would manifest in fights and crazy shit in early June and then be done, this year it’s more a slow constant release. It feels like different pockets of society are letting loose at different times so it’s like a slow roll of people just wanting to feel alive instead of one big universal valve release of “fuck the winter it’s summer and let’s feel alive!”

Edited by achooloco
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

They are in areas where they have normally not been because the city has put them up in hotels. So in my neighborhood, they have put a lot up in the Bentley hotel. We have had a LOT more incidents around here.

On 7/16/2020 at 10:54 AM, Captainant said:

Yes, your use of loaded political terms, posting numbers without citation and out of context, and downplaying the severity of the pandemic are really adding much needed value to the thread.

Christ, can we get a new CHAZ thread going? It kept all the mouth breathers in a single circle jerk, at least.

Numbers were pulled directly from worldometers. Don’t act like they are some out of context source.

Just got back from Nashville.  Statewide mask rule in public spaces with emphasis on bar districts.  Broadway was packed after dark with little or no mask wearing. The Gulch and M Street were crowded with young professionals burning cash at bars/restaurants.  Very little mask wearing.  Rural Arkansas apparently does not have internet service for keeping up with the news.  Not many people wearing at the gas stations or fast food.  Ate dinner in East Texas on the return trip.  All tables full on a Tuesday night.  Servers wore masks but did not see anyone come in with one.  Maybe limited internet service there also.  

• Like 1

This is harsh but I’m kind of tired of it. The real problem with this disease is it is not fast enough.  If 200 of those people were in a hospital today and 50 died by Tuesday, mask compliance would shoot up.  

The problem is that people are like dogs - they have no ability to correlate events that don’t happen in rapid succession. 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

This is harsh but I’m kind of tired of it. The real problem with this disease is it is not fast enough.  If 200 of those people were in a hospital today and 50 died by Tuesday, mask compliance would shoot up.  

The problem is that people are like dogs - they have no ability to correlate events that don’t happen in rapid succession. 

Not wrong

we are a fundamentally stupid society. Instant gratification culture. “I woke up the next day and I wasn’t sick, so it’s fine”

I don’t wear a mask outside. I also don’t find myself in a mass gathering of people like that video. 

I saw the post about Jackson earlier. Once I’m out of an establishment, and clear of people, the mask is off. 

Do I need to change my mask wearing usage? I feel pretty okay in the great outdoors. 

• Like 1

Yeah, what the fuck is that event in Houston?  I'm a "if you can stay 5-6' apart and keep it under 25 people, you should be fine outside, only taking your mask off to eat/drink but keeping it on to chat" kind of believer.  But fucking a, that's like 3 people per square meter, that's insane.  

If you're a dude at an outdoor event and you can have to keep asking yourself, "Who dat grinding up on me like that?" more than once, congrats-you got the virus.

Edited by Lobo

Yeah, what the fuck is that event in Houston?  I'm a "if you can stay 5-6' apart and keep it under 25 people, you should be fine outside, only taking your mask off to eat/drink but keeping it on to chat" kind of believer.  But fucking a, that's like 3 people per square meter, that's insane.  
If you're a dude at an outdoor event and you can have to keep asking yourself, "Who dat grinding up on me like that?" more than once, congrats-you got the virus.

It was in Mabank and apparently is a 3-day event. Unreal.

2f36ba315c141aa31c8a5592a31e5590.jpg

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

It was in Mabank and apparently is a 3-day event. Unreal.

2f36ba315c141aa31c8a5592a31e5590.jpg

Not really any worse than the protests, and that has shown that mass grouping outdoors is not really a COVID spreader. 

CHIEF

5 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Not really any worse than the protests, and that has shown that mass grouping outdoors is not really a COVID spreader. 

CHIEF

Way worse than the protest, moron. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

I think its

1a. Mabank/Showstoppas/Houston rap festivals

1b. Protests

2. bars/July 4th

3. Memorial Day BBQ's

2 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The one protest I went to had 95%+ mask wearage. The only people not wearing masks were the Magat counter protesters.

It's far too easy to find evidence of protesters that were not Maga counter protesters.  Let's just all agree to use common sense and say that there were more than enough people not wearing masks of all backgrounds.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The one protest I went to had 95%+ mask wearage. The only people not wearing masks were the Magat counter protesters.

my list was in jest.  no one knows mask usage of any large group/event. its all bullshit "takes" by one side or another.

Anyone here been paying any attention to how this pandemic is progressing thru 3rd world countries? Central America, African continent, Caribbean, etc...? Just wondering if the relative lack of mobility in some of those countries has helped or if they have hard hit hot spots due to lack of masks. 

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

Anyone here been paying any attention to how this pandemic is progressing thru 3rd world countries? Central America, African continent, Caribbean, etc...? Just wondering if the relative lack of mobility in some of those countries has helped or if they have hard hit hot spots due to lack of masks. 

I do the best I can. Information is spotty.  And one issue we are seeing is a real lack of testing in most places. I have a business partner in Kenya who told me it is a lot worse than reported. One problem they faced is when Nairobi and Mombassa were locked down a lot of people got out of the cities and went to the country. 

AllAfrica.Com has started a daily tracker for all Africa. 

https://allafrica.com/coronavirus/#covid19-map

Some Latin American countries are reporting, others are not. Argentina went to a massive lockdown and it worked. Chile reopened like we did and had to lock it back up but they did it for certain areas based on contact tracing instead of 1 lock down for all. My brother lives on the North Coast of the Dominican Republic. They were hit hard early and it continues to roll. 

India is getting hammered but very little of this is reported. 

I really do not think we will have real numbers for the developing world. 

If I see anything of interest I will post. 

• Like 1

BBC issued this today. Report on Latin America and Covid. Interesting map. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52711458?at_custom2=twitter&at_custom4=1BB1C836-CA87-11EA-B243-8C1A933C408C&at_medium=custom7&at_campaign=64&at_custom1=[post+type]&at_custom3=%40BBCWorld

A note on testing. 

Chile has had one of Latin America's highest rates of testing - it's done around 72 tests per 1,000 people so far.
But testing across most of the region has been below some other parts of the world, according to the most recent figures from Our World in Data.
Mexico has tested around five people for every 1,000, and as of the end of June, Brazil had tested around seven in every 1,000 - compared with more than 133 per 1,000 in the US.

image.thumb.png.987196de825dde19d8155d5359ae4261.png

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away