CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

48 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

What's remarkable is that they believe it without a single molecule of evidence to support it.

That is a lie. One of those poor kids imprisoned and used for sexual slavery scratched a note all about it on the wall of the pizza place.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chooky said:

The newly formed coalition includes Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi,

Fair or not, I consider Bama Chick responsible for this.

When Louisiana is the thoughtful and scientifically responsible state, we are through the looking glass folks.

• Like 3

WASHINGTON — In Maryland, so many callers flooded a health hotline with questions that the state’s Emergency Management Agency had to issue a warning that “under no circumstances” should any disinfectant be taken to treat the coronavirus. In Washington State, officials urged people not to consume laundry detergent capsules. Across the country on Friday, health professionals sounded the alarm.

Injecting bleach or highly concentrated rubbing alcohol “causes massive organ damage and the blood cells in the body to basically burst,” Dr. Diane P. Calello, the medical director of the New Jersey Poison Information and Education System, said in an interview. “It can definitely be a fatal event.”

Even the makers of Clorox and Lysol pleaded with Americans not to inject or ingest their products.

The frantic reaction was prompted by President Trump’s suggestion on Thursday at a White House briefing that an “injection inside” the human body with a disinfectant like bleach or isopropyl alcohol could help combat the virus.

spacer.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They've been trained to think everything is a conspiracy. 

There’s some psychological force at work here. I don’t know if it’s a new thing or what, but I have to think social media amplifies this impulse. Yet another reason social media is the debil. 

• Like 1

Crossposting from the Trump thread; meant to put it here:

Latest MAGA talking points from my MIL's Facebook; it's back to being the regular flu, because hospitals and doctors are reporting everything as a Covid related death, because they (hospitals and doctors) get paid more for a Covid death than a "regular" death.

What the fuck.

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

WASHINGTON — In Maryland, so many callers flooded a health hotline with questions that the state’s Emergency Management Agency had to issue a warning that “under no circumstances” should any disinfectant be taken to treat the coronavirus. In Washington State, officials urged people not to consume laundry detergent capsules. Across the country on Friday, health professionals sounded the alarm.

Injecting bleach or highly concentrated rubbing alcohol “causes massive organ damage and the blood cells in the body to basically burst,” Dr. Diane P. Calello, the medical director of the New Jersey Poison Information and Education System, said in an interview. “It can definitely be a fatal event.”

Even the makers of Clorox and Lysol pleaded with Americans not to inject or ingest their products.

The frantic reaction was prompted by President Trump’s suggestion on Thursday at a White House briefing that an “injection inside” the human body with a disinfectant like bleach or isopropyl alcohol could help combat the virus.

spacer.png

You know how there is a tweet for every situation with respect to Trump? Apparently there is a rationalization for every statement he makes as well. No, not the sarcasm excuse; what I was seeing around social media last night was that vaccines have ingredients that are disinfectants in them and that was what he was talking about. Really. The anti-vaxxers and their President have come full circle.

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The Onion did

We lived in Madison when The Onion was still a print edition and located there. That city had some really funny smart people. We've lived in various cities/small towns and despite their politics going sideways after we left, we still have great memories from back then.

I haven't been in that thread in DT lately. At first it was fairly straightforward: cases, medical news, etc but one could see policy was going to become extremely important so Cloakroom Covid was created. But instead of migrating here to discuss policy, the convos there became very odd. Less and less medical to the point that another thread on that specific topic was started and policy discussions existed in an alternate universe that was supposed to be apolitical and yet it wasn't. @Pasken's post didn't seem out of place and yet he became caught in the shrapnel. Weird, but not my board so not my decision and I'm cool with that. I learn a lot in the CR and various other threads and enjoy reading the discussions when alternate perspectives are thoughtful and provide at least some source documentation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Who the hell is Ari Paul, and why should I care what he thinks?

Prominent crypto investor. Does it really matter? I only have to go back one page to see someone sharing David Frum’s fucking opinion. 

I shared it as an example of the growing sentiment outside of Cro-Magnon red state areas that it’s time reassess our shelter in place policies. 

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I haven't been in that thread in DT lately. At first it was fairly straightforward: cases, medical news, etc but one could see policy was going to become extremely important so Cloakroom Covid was created. But instead of migrating here to discuss policy, the convos there became very odd. Less and less medical to the point that another thread on that specific topic was started and policy discussions existed in an alternate universe that was supposed to be apolitical and yet it wasn't. @Pasken's post didn't seem out of place and yet he became caught in the shrapnel. Weird, but not my board so not my decision and I'm cool with that. I learn a lot in the CR and various other threads and enjoy reading the discussions when alternate perspectives are thoughtful and provide at least some source documentation.

Quit obsessing over the DT thread. It literally has zero effect on anything here. 

26 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Quit obsessing over the DT thread. It literally has zero effect on anything here. 

I was referencing the post above mine and the post to which that one referred, so buzz off shrimpdick. Your perspective of obsession has zero effect on me.

However, in reference to your other post, I am for some restrictions being lifted with clear guidelines in place from a local to a national level. Beyond hygiene (which is mostly agreed upon for any illness) those guidelines/restrictions may need to be curtailed depending upon the location. I would like for the testing and contact tracing to be robust, but it appears that is not going to happen really. I am opposed to the IMO blase announcement by the Las Vegas mayor.

Some of the conspiracy theorists believe that the President received the vaccine back in November, during his trip to Walter Reed correct? I can't recall if I read that here or elsewhere. Funny how the theories take a little fact here or there and use silly string to tie it all together. If the President had the vaccine, then he wouldn't need to have his temp taken and curtail his rallies, but they would have an answer for that, too I suppose.

9 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I mean you don't have to reinvent the wheel here. South Korea has already shown exactly how to do it in a democratic society. Massive testing/tracing/quarantine program combined with 100 percent mandatory masks by law in all public places anywhere in the country. If you aren't at home or in your car a mask should be required. 

The blueprint is there. We just don't have the discipline, cohesion, or intelligence as a country to actually do it. Other countries do. If that's not a sign of how far gone we are as a country I don't know what is. 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Like 5

I mean you don't have to reinvent the wheel here. South Korea has already shown exactly how to do it in a democratic society. Massive testing/tracing/quarantine program combined with 100 percent mandatory masks by law in all public places anywhere in the country. If you aren't at home or in your car a mask should be required. 
The blueprint is there. We just don't have the discipline, cohesion, or intelligence as a country to actually do it. Other countries do. If that's not a sign of how far gone we are as a country I don't know what is. 

User name checks out.