CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

So, simple logical syllogism:

1 -- I exercise a "PERSONAL CHOICE!", because my freedoms.

2 -- as a result of my PERSONAL CHOICE, I and others who made the same choice end up using ALL of a finite common resource.

3 -- because all of the finite common resource has been used, it is not there for people who need that same resource, particularly including people who need that common resource for ordinary reasons that are NOT a result of any particular choice they made.

This is an ANTI-libertarian syllogism.  It is against the core tenet of libertarianism.

Let's imagine that the finite common resource here was clean drinking water.  Some PERSONAL CHOICE heroes install massive spigots and leave them running 24/7, because MY CHOICE MY FREEDOM.  Sure, they will pay a big water bill, but that's THEIR CHOICE.  After a couple of weeks, the local reservoir runs dry.  Now nobody has access to clean drinking water.

When your personal choices deplete a necessary, communal resource to the detriment of everyone else, a functioning society has the ability to restrict/contradict your personal choices.  Nobody defending the anti-vax path should ever use the work "liberty" again, because they sure as fuck have no fucking idea what it actually means in the context of a society.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The last sentence....*bangs head on table*

This is the giant fucking stupidity of these people. They will NOT get vaccinated because yada yada yada. But they'll go and take horse shit medicine because some dipshit in Facebook said to. "I will not be told what to do by the gobment but if my FB buddies says it's cool then fuck yea!!!"

These people really need to die. The world will be better for it.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

2 -- as a result of my PERSONAL CHOICE, I and others who made the same choice end up using ALL of a finite common resource.

3 -- because all of the finite common resource has been used, it is not there for people who need that same resource, particularly including people who need that common resource for ordinary reasons that are NOT a result of any particular choice they made.

This is an ANTI-libertarian syllogism.  It is against the core tenet of libertarianism.

Let's imagine that the finite common resource here was clean drinking water.  Some PERSONAL CHOICE heroes install massive spigots and leave them running 24/7, because MY CHOICE MY FREEDOM.  Sure, they will pay a big water bill, but that's THEIR CHOICE.  After a couple of weeks, the local reservoir runs dry.  Now nobody has access to clean drinking water.

When your personal choices deplete a necessary, communal resource to the detriment of everyone else, a functioning society has the ability to restrict/contradict your personal choices.  Nobody defending the anti-vax path should ever use the work "liberty" again, because they sure as fuck have no fucking idea what it actually means in the context of a society.

In very real and concrete ways, their personal choices are threatening the lives of others. By any reasonable definition of "freedom," none of their behavior qualifies.

MAGA rebuttal:

1.  If I have to think about ANYBODY ELSE in exercising my freedums, that's SOCIALIZM!1!! 

2.  Socializm is the debil.

3.  I can do whatever I want.

'Murica.

Edited by Gap03

1 minute ago, Gap03 said:

Rebuttal:

1.  If I have to think about ANYBODY ELSE in exercising my freedums, that's SOCIALIZM!1!! 

2.  Socializm is the debil.

3.  I can do whatever I want.

'Murica.

Your wrongness percentage here is 0.0%.  Stupid, selfish, sociopathic people using buzzwords they don't understand to justify the following: I'm utterly selfish and can do whatever I want without any regard for whether it harms others.

In other words, people like this are EXACTLY why mankind decided long ago that society needs some sort of government.  Tragedy of the commons, all that shit.  It's in some of our oldest American DNA -- towns would regulate local usage of streamflows, because the stream was a common resource, and society couldn't let one person use/divert the flow at the expense of everyone else who needed the resource.  But today.....the selfish moron class would deem that COMMUNISM FROM NAZI GERMANY! and storm the capitol to stop it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

So here's a little nightmarish weaponry to share with anyone you know on the fence about getting the shot. 

The summary from r/hermancainaward comment:

And the article: https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210604/SARS-CoV-2-evades-neutralizing-antibodies-and-rapidly-spreads-by-cell-fusion-finds-study.aspx

If this gets in your lungs then you are proper fucked. 

Ouch

Another common theme in the r/hermaincainaward subreddit is the amount of folks posting their every inner thought on social media (predominantly facebook).  I'm pretty convinced if all of this had happened prior to the internet, the amount of anti-vaxxers would be way lower.  I mean, maybe not.  Maybe all the Limbaugh AM radio listeners would be out there doing something similar.  But Facebook seems to embolden them.  They poorly meme their idiocy and get likes for it.  

Then of course they all turn to "pray for me" and "prayer warrior" call outs.  Theme number two--Dear Lord save me from my own shit ass self.  And forgive me for my memes of hate I have preserved for time immemorial.  

Anyway, I think the giving the crazies a sense of 'there are so many of us' and the amplification of that sense through social media has made this worse.  Someone on this thread talked about it used to be you only saw these crazies at the local bar, and they were usually ignored.  Now they get an audience and make it worse for all of us.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Saying you should wear a mask because you could potentially give someone Covid - is like saying you should never drive because you could potentially kill someone in an accident. Realistically we gamble with our lives everyday because we are not promised tomorrow.

Mrs Hannah Yoder
@mrshannahyoder

Let's do a little fact-checking, ignoring the obvious argument related to the relative inconvenience of never driving VS wearing a mask outside the home.

Odds of an American dying in a car crash over one's lifetime:  1 in 103

Average American lifespan:  78 years

So, distributing that risk evenly over one's life, we can ballpark the chances of dying in a car crash at roughly 1 in 8,000 per year.  Let's double that for the heavy driving years -- 1 in 4,000 or about a 0.025% chance in any given year.  Crude math, I know.  I have only so much interest in this.

What are the odds of dying of covid in a given year?  Well, roughly 600,000 Americans died in the 12 months spanning 3/20 through 2/21.  There are 330M Americans, give or take, so it looks to me the odds of dying of this particular disease are roughly 0.18%.

That's a factor of 7X higher than the odds of dying in a car crash.

Shut up, Hannah, put on your mask, and get the vaccine while you're at it.  The reason your son is suffering is because of idiots like you.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Ughhhhhh

I’m sitting in my car and crying with absolute rage.

We have no beds, patients laying wherever they can. And just found out one of my absolute favorite surgical nurses just died of a heart attack because she couldn’t get optimal care nor a transfer because every fucking hospital in Alabama is in the same boat.

I’m at the end of my rope.

Sorry for venting here - can’t say this stuff on my real life social media for various reasons.

So sorry for your personal loss.  I have appreciated all the venting from you and trauma babe.  It is insight I don't get as much of elsewhere.  Vent as much as you need, and again, very sorry for what you're going through.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

So here's a little nightmarish weaponry to share with anyone you know on the fence about getting the shot. 

The summary from r/hermancainaward comment:

And the article: https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210604/SARS-CoV-2-evades-neutralizing-antibodies-and-rapidly-spreads-by-cell-fusion-finds-study.aspx

If this gets in your lungs then you are proper fucked. 

Yeah this video pretty much freaked me out:

95460_1_22virus-micro-video_wg_1080p.mp4

A microscopic video shows the coronavirus causing cell fusion and death in bat brain cells. This video received honorable mention in the 2021 Nikon Small World in Motion Competition. Video by Sophie-Marie Aicher & Dr. Delphine Planas.

9 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Another common theme in the r/hermaincainaward subreddit is the amount of folks posting their every inner thought on social media (predominantly facebook).  I'm pretty convinced if all of this had happened prior to the internet, the amount of anti-vaxxers would be way lower.  I mean, maybe not.  Maybe all the Limbaugh AM radio listeners would be out there doing something similar.  But Facebook seems to embolden them.  They poorly meme their idiocy and get likes for it.  

No doubt and while its joked about I am thoroughly convinced social media will be the downfall of society as we knew it

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, C-Man said:

Not sure if this is the thread where this was being discussed but Rex Racer is still "hanging in there."

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 12.38.38 AM.png

somebody on that thread asked if Rex was responding or someone on his behalf.

either way, "hanging in there" is definitely the optimist's response.

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Blah, blah, libtard lies.  Covid is a hoax and/or is 100% curable if big pharma would just let us take our HCQ and horsepaste!*

*Note -- this insane position ignores the fact that a metric shitton of people have engaged in exactly that self-help regimen.....and still ended up seriously ill/dead from COVID.

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Well, it is winning temporarily.  Ultimately, the virus will take out the stupid, and that will be better for all of us.

Silver lining and all that shit.

It will go away, or at least not be so detrimental, but it will never be cured. This pandemic has really driven home how many truly stupid people there are walking the earth.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Can we start pulling the plug on ventilators being used by the willingly unvaccinated shit heads?

Yes, we can.  For real.  It's called triage.  When resources are scarce, you allocate them to the patients most likely to benefit from them.  In most cases, that will be vaccinated patients as opposed to unvaccinated patients.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

51 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Ughhhhhh

I’m sitting in my car and crying with absolute rage.

We have no beds, patients laying wherever they can. And just found out one of my absolute favorite surgical nurses just died of a heart attack because she couldn’t get optimal care nor a transfer because every fucking hospital in Alabama is in the same boat.

I’m at the end of my rope.

Sorry for venting here - can’t say this stuff on my real life social media for various reasons.

Do not let your employer force you into working more than you normally would.  Tell them to fuck off with any overtime.  Do not break yourself.  They are not going to fire you.  Or fuck it call in sick. 

10 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

add in smart people who just don't give a shit and you have a cosmic soup of malice and idiocy

Yes, smart people who encourage the stupid with the purpose of raking in material riches. (That reminds me -- whatever happened to the t-shirts we were going to start selling with @PenelopeWitherspoon to Trump-tards?)

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes, we can.  For real.  It's called triage.  When resources are scarce, you allocate them to the patients most likely to benefit from them.  In most cases, that will be vaccinated patients as opposed to unvaccinated patients.  

Ah yes. Fuck around. Find out.

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

somebody on that thread asked if Rex was responding or someone on his behalf.

either way, "hanging in there" is definitely the optimist's response.

This guy was posting multiple times a day for year's. He hasn't posted once in nearly a week.  Think about how much energy it takes to move your fingers to type out a post.  He doesn't have the energy for that now.  

He's not hanging in there, he's hanging on.

Edited by Post Oak

5 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

This guy was posting multiple times a day for year's. He hasn't posted once in nearly a week.  Think about how much energy it takes to move your fingers to type out a post.  He doesn't have the energy for that now.  

He's not hanging in there, he's hanging on.

I’m sure he’s very busy in his hospital bed. Only so many hours in a day to post. 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The first spike wasn’t selective by intelligence, but this spike sure is. 

If it weren't for the peripheral damage to those who can't get non-covid treatments, and the stress and pain on our medical providers, I would be great with this sentiment.  Hell, I'm all for the covidiots dying off.   But they're harming the rest of us while they're at it.  Oh, and there's the whole vector for yet another variant thing.   

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

watching these idiots choosing to inflict all kinds of bullshit cures and precautions on themselves just to avoid the vaccine is lulz worthy. 

own the lib and gubment by shitting myself to death!

The level of commitment to the lie is quite impressive.

• Like 1