CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't think they're being quiet, per se. I just don't think the numbers or public attention are where it needs to be yet for that to work. If they bang the table now, and this thing doesn't get bad here for whatever reason, they look like quacks. But if they wait to say the same things before people start dying in every single city, they get the same desired outcome with zero risk. 

If I were the democrats, I'd be sitting around waiting to make sure you've got the kill shot. It's not going to change what happens with this virus, and it won't change the outcome and their ability to exploit it if they wait. Just my opinion. 

The problem with sitting back and being quiet is that if they're silent, a lot of people that are not part of Trump's base will simply accept whatever the administration is saying and if things get really bad, they'll just think "well that's how these things work and nothing more could've been done." Due to decades of GOP propaganda and intentional mismanagement by GOP officials whenever they're in charge, much of the American public has simply internalized the idea that government can't do anything right. So even when Trump and the GOP are directly responsible for exacerbating an outbreak, not enough people will blame them.

The Democrats need to be loudly and repeatedly reminding the public that government can in fact help mitigate a pandemic and that Obama built and gave Trump a system ready to do so that Trump destroyed for no reason. They need to be performing actual oversight and communicating accurate information about the disease to the public. They need to be telling people that this type of thing is exactly why we have government in the first place, but that Trump will let their parents and sick friends die to protect his rich friends' investments in the stock market.

The Democratic party is so fucking passive when it matters that it might as well not exist. Of course Republicans will launch political attacks if they "politicize" this shit. But they're doing that already! When the Democrats don't respond, the public only hears the story the Republicans are telling.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Per Wapo:

The travel and tourism industries are facing their worst crisis since the 2001 terrorist attacks, prompting White House officials to consider deferring taxes for the cruise, travel and airline industries to stem the economic fallout of the coronavirus, according to two people briefed on the discussions.

It's the only play they know how to run. But, what taxes?  If they don't make a profit, taxes are kind of irrelevant.  Maybe delay tax payments 2020Q1, with the idea that it would get wiped out in Q2 or Q3 anyway? 

50 minutes ago, bonnieblue said:

Interesting, short interview clip between Maddow and Warren on the economy/corona intersection. That our toolkit of future stimulus tools is so bare is........worrisome. 

Oh look, a smart person. I almost forgot what one of those in government looks like.

Someone please put her in charge of our fucking financial system, please. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't think they're being quiet, per se. I just don't think the numbers or public attention are where it needs to be yet for that to work. If they bang the table now, and this thing doesn't get bad here for whatever reason, they look like quacks. But if they wait to say the same things before people start dying in every single city, they get the same desired outcome with zero risk. 

If I were the democrats, I'd be sitting around waiting to make sure you've got the kill shot. It's not going to change what happens with this virus, and it won't change the outcome and their ability to exploit it if they wait. Just my opinion. 

This, except Dems should be laying groundwork by suggesting things that we should be doing, and citing experts that recommend those measures.  Trump won’t do them.  If this thing explodes, the Dems can point back and say “Everyone was saying we needed to do x, y, and z to stop this thing and we COULD have stopped it.  But Trump sat around playing golf.  This is his fault.” 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The problem with sitting back and being quiet is that if they're silent, a lot of people that are not part of Trump's base will simply accept whatever the administration is saying and if things get really bad, they'll just think "well that's how these things work and nothing more could've been done." Due to decades of GOP propaganda and intentional mismanagement by GOP officials whenever they're in charge, much of the American public has simply internalized the idea that government can't do anything right. So even when Trump and the GOP are directly responsible for exacerbating an outbreak, not enough people will blame them.

The Democrats need to be loudly and repeatedly reminding the public that government can in fact help mitigate a pandemic and that Obama built and gave Trump a system ready to do so that Trump destroyed for no reason. They need to be performing actual oversight and communicating accurate information about the disease to the public. They need to be telling people that this type of thing is exactly why we have government in the first place, but that Trump will let their parents and sick friends die to protect his rich friends' investments in the stock market.

The Democratic party is so fucking passive when it matters that it might as well not exist. Of course Republicans will launch political attacks if they "politicize" this shit. But they're doing that already! When the Democrats don't respond, the public only hears the story the Republicans are telling.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but I think all the things you described about in your first paragraph happen no matter what. They'd happen if they were talking today. They'd happen if they were talking after Thunderdome hits. So it doesn't matter. What does matter is winning the winds that CAN be won, imo. I don't disagree with your message, I think you just wait to start beating people over the head when it's obvious and things HAVE gotten bad. Thats when you remind people over and over the fuckups Trump has done.

In this instance, we're probably talking about a matter of 2-3 weeks. 

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

This, except Dems should be laying groundwork by suggesting things that we should be doing, and citing experts that recommend those measures.  Trump won’t do them.  If this thing explodes, the Dems can point back and say “Everyone was saying we needed to do x, y, and z to stop this thing and we COULD have stopped it.  But Trump sat around playing golf.  This is his fault.” 

Yes, absolutely. 

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

This.  Get shitty.  Then get even shittier.  Siphon huge amounts of cash to some PAC that you can claim you don't have any responsibility.  Then let them run amok and cover Kentucky with billboards and ads with Mitch McConnell's wife's picture next to the word Coronavirus.    

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  The Bloomberg PAC ads are going to be easy. 

Just play the clip (with the date) of "we closed it down, we stopped it."  Then, show the clip of bodybags being wheeled out of homes, and newspaper headlines both as to the death count and the recession resulting from same.  "Trump didn't protect us.  He lied to us.  Again.  And people died.  People we know and love."  Then a nice 10 second clip of a gal in middle America "I lost my mother, because Donald Trump lied about protecting us."  "No more lies. No more death.  No more recession.  No more Trump."

Y’all some cold blooded political killers.

If the ads are what you say, I love it, especially later in the summer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Sometimes you really do kinda have to kinda hope a lot of people kinda, you know, die. 

The olds don't really seem to want any of us millennials to live, so I don't feel that bad about feeling similarly about many of them.

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

This.  Get shitty.  Then get even shittier.  Siphon huge amounts of cash to some PAC that you can claim you don't have any responsibility.  Then let them run amok and cover Kentucky with billboards and ads with Mitch McConnell's wife's picture next to the word Coronavirus.    

Commence Operation COOTIES McCHING CHONG!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Foosters said:

He says Americans should "avoid" Seattle and California. 

Cool, any idea how 40+ million people are supposed to avoid the state they live in?

What about their other homes?

Why not just stay in Arizona... or Florida. I mean, I know that no ones wants summer in those places but sacrifices have to be made... for the good of the country!

One cannot explain the elegance of the unifying theory of plate tectonics to a toddler.

25 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Trump's top economic advisor Larry Kudlow says American workers should "fuck as many AIDS patients as they can, without a condom."

Trump's top economic advisor Larry Kudlow says American workers should "lick every doorknob they see."

Trump's top economic advisor Larry Kudlow says American workers should "drink hemlock."

FIFperfection.

• Haha 1

One cannot explain the elegance of the unifying theory of plate tectonics to a toddler.

23 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Cool, any idea how 40+ million people are supposed to avoid the state they live in?

Well a shitload of them will be flying to Austin over the next couple of weeks, so there’s that.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, saw this nice summary.  There are presently two countries that have prohibited their top health officials from speaking on the pandemic: the United States, and North Korea.

Currently.

• Like 2

Well a shitload of them will be flying to Austin over the next couple of weeks, so there’s that.

I seriously doubt SXSW will proceed.  The conference is just trying to get the city to make the call so their insurance has a chance in hell of paying out.

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Well, they can't avoid the state they live in, but by God, we have the technology to keep everyone else away:

WE GONNA BUILD THAT FUCKING WALL ALRIGHT; IT'S GOING TO BE AROUND CALIFORNIA AND SEATTLE.

And the Mexicans debt buying Chinese are gonna pay for it

I'm still seeing a bunch of interactive/fintech shit going on on the 13th-16th.  but yeah the festival proper is done.  Man, lots of hotels and restaurants gonna lose their shit.  

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

SXSW cancelled by the city.  Hopefully the conference can recoup their insurance amount; otherwise, they're bankrupt and that's that.

Fucking up corona response and canceling SXSW to own the li...bssss...

Oh I guess that kinda works. 
Broken clock. Twice a day. Etc.

Edited by Dnaguy

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

Sounds like bullshit.  I know for a fact there were Nebraskans before.

Nebraska had been listed previously because there were around a dozen Diamond Princess passengers who had been confirmed, and transferred to University of Nebraska Medical Center for quarantine and treatment.  There were also some passengers who had not been confirmed, that were quarantined at a military base.  But that should have been with a big asterisk.  They weren't Nebraskans and they were not out in public in Nebraska.  While this patient didn't contract in Nebraska, she may have been out in public for about a week.  

I'm sure there may have been others with it being out in the public in the state, but it's the first confirmed. 

I wouldn't buy tickets to the College World Series this year. 

link

4 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Holy fuck, did anyone else just hear Trump talk about this? We're so so so fucked. 

Just watched his press conference. Didn't think my opinion of him could get any lower, but I was wrong. Especially liked how our new tests are "perfect, just like the letter, just like the phone call, and just like the transcript, well maybe not as perfect but close".

Also not wanting to bring the people off of the cruise ship because it will make our numbers go up.

Edited by Seger78

Summary?

We're testing more than other countries and more proactive. Other countries are just "sampling". If he had his way, he would just sit back and wait for it to go to another community and then address where it spread to rather than being proactive. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

W.T.F.

I had a friend just out of law school placed in a leadership position over a federal agency that was actively handling an ongoing crisis. He was shocked he was given so much responsibility. 

Plum jobs are Plum jobs. They are positions for the politically connected. I just wish the guy had taken the course on the area he managed. He later became a regular on CNBC. That's how the revolving door works.  

Freeze, Coronavirus! You're under arrest.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2020/03/christian-prophet-cindy-jacobs-declares-coronavirus-illegal-because-jesus/

Good News: Christian Prophet Cindy Jacobs reports that the coronavirus “will cease worldwide” because the virus is now “illegal” in the name of Jesus.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Trump is really losing it this time. And that’s saying something.  

Good lord. Do you think he would intentionally fuck federal help to Washington bc of the Democratic governor? That's on a whole other level. 

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk