CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

35 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Trump: "Look at that face!  'Would anyone want a nurse like that? Can you imagine that, the face of your nurse!" And besides - she's in a union. SHE IS  A COMMIE!" 

Trumpkins: "Damn Straight!

Trumpkins: "Leroy, stop eating your boogers!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

THE DEMS ARE PLAYING POLITICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this tweet real? I had to look it up, because I knew it was wrong, but there were 113k cases, and 3433 deaths in the US. If you had to bet at this point, who do you think will set the high score?

1 minute ago, Dutchrudder said:

Is this tweet real? I had to look it up, because I knew it was wrong, but there were 113k cases, and 3433 deaths in the US. If you had to bet at this point, who do you think will set the high score?

Covid due to mutations on Dirty 6th during SXSW. 

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

It's more plain every day the republicans in govt don't want people to be tested because they don't want true numbers of how badly this has infiltrated America to come out and spark panic that will tank the economy and cause trump to get massive amounts of blame for his administration fucking this up so badly.  

The US president, political party, and his administration are covering up a major health emergency for their own political gain. Shouldn't be surprised as this comes immediately after they covered up crimes and constitutional violations for the same reason. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, F250 said:

What is the deal with the CDC, are they just fumbling or is this political interference?

I imagine this has something to do with it:

A top official who would lead the U.S. response if a deadly pandemic broke out has left the administration amid a broad reorganization of the national security team, The Washington Post reported Thursday.

Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer left the National Security Council (NSC) this week, and national security adviser John Bolton dissolved the global health security team that Ziemer oversaw.

The Post reported that Ziemer will not be replaced, and that his departure means that there is no single official at the highest levels of the administration who focuses only on global health security.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/387191-trump-official-overseeing-pandemic-response-suddenly-leaves-admin

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I imagine this has something to do with it:

A top official who would lead the U.S. response if a deadly pandemic broke out has left the administration amid a broad reorganization of the national security team, The Washington Post reported Thursday.

Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer left the National Security Council (NSC) this week, and national security adviser John Bolton dissolved the global health security team that Ziemer oversaw.

The Post reported that Ziemer will not be replaced, and that his departure means that there is no single official at the highest levels of the administration who focuses only on global health security.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/387191-trump-official-overseeing-pandemic-response-suddenly-leaves-admin

But Dr. Nan and Trump told me nobody does the pandemic better than Trump and his people.  In fact, many have told me they do the pandemic as good as Rudy does the cyber.  Get your damn lies out of here!

2 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

But Dr. Nan and Trump told me nobody does the pandemic better than Trump and his people.  In fact, many have told me they do the pandemic as good as Rudy does the cyber.  Get your damn lies out of here!

I'm just saying prioritizing by necessity is not Trump's strong suit.  The flimsy, scalable wall out front shoulda toldja.

22 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

It's more plain every day the republicans in govt don't want people to be tested because they don't want true numbers of how badly this has infiltrated America to come out and spark panic that will tank the economy and cause trump to get massive amounts of blame for his administration fucking this up so badly.  

The US president, political party, and his administration are covering up a major health emergency for their own political gain. Shouldn't be surprised as this comes immediately after they covered up crimes and constitutional violations for the same reason. 

"Nobody knew that health care could be so complicated."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SameSame said:

We all know he is internally bitchmade, but you know what he sounds like is someone with a serious drug problem.

Say one thing one day, the next day completely contradict himself or just say he never said it in the first place.

Mood swings out of nowhere. Jumpy and nonsensical.  That somebody coming up and down off dope.

701.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, The People’s Elbow said:

Pence finally admitting the lack of testing kits is just as unsurprising as will be Trump eventually throwing him under the bus for this. This shit’s crystal clear.  

Trump isn’t going to like bad news being distributed. Much better to lie.

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

I'm starting to come around to this line of thinking.  But I can't figure out their long game if so as headlines are just going to get worse.  But then I remember it's Trump we're talking about and it makes sense.

49 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I'm starting to come around to this line of thinking.  But I can't figure out their long game if so as headlines are just going to get worse.  But then I remember it's Trump we're talking about and it makes sense.

#TrumpPlague

Kick the can down the road without stock market panic until the warm weather “miracle”.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Other administrations would be taking more heat for the problems that are assuredly helping the spread of this virus in the US. However trump is saying there are not any problems, and pence uses his soft, gee-whiz-people tone to say all of the tests we will ever need are days away.

if the normal media complains, it’s just more of what they’ve been saying for the last 4 years. Same with dem politicians. And the right politicians and media won’t say anything negative about trump. Trump skates on this fuck up 100%. Genius.

also very surreal that the president can offhand state the opposite of safety instructions from the cdc, and we all shrug that it’s trump lying and/or being ignorant again. Oh well.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

14 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

No, he's actually right on that one, or at least in agreement with the CDC

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

It might be a question of comparing estimates vs. confirmed, or first wave vs. total. 

But let's do a little quick math on that: 12,469/60.8E6 = 0.02% fatality rate. Hopefully, as asymptomatic cases are accounted for the, estimated fatality rate for Covid-19 will drop from the 1-2% range to something much lower, but we don't have solid evidence it will, and we don't know what it will drop to.  

Edit: a couple of other points on swine flu: 1) it was detected in the US, so it's not like we had time to take precautions. 2) the big deal about the swine flu was that it impacted younger people, including kids.  

Edited by Tuco

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Isnt the accepted fatality rate for covid-19 over 3% not 1-2% but with more testing it should drop.

Shhh...I'm trying to think happy thoughts. 

I'm not really sure.  I think the 3.4% is just straight data on confirmed cases, the 1-2% has some adjustment based on conservative assumptions, but the hope is that as more data is available, they can lower it by reducing the conservationism.  Of course, we won't know shit until more testing is done. 

Something to keep in mind with China: they quarantined 50 million people to slow the spread.  50 million people, basically on house arrest.  In the US, people freak out if you talk about cancelling sporting events.  With our culture, there will need to be a lot of pain before we are willing to take drastic measures. 

• Like 1

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/coronavirus-quarantine-cruise-ship-begins-testing-passengers-new-cases-san-francisco/

Pat Herrick, whose mother was a resident in the nursing home, said she got a call in the morning that her mother had passed overnight. Herrick said she was told her mother died of natural causes. She expressed doubt, insisting her mother had been healthy, but praised the Life Care staff.

"I'm asking and lobbying to make sure she gets tested, I want her body tested. And I've been told we don't do that, you know we just have to assume it's natural causes. So I'm saying that's not okay," Herrick said.

Well that's one way to keep the numbers low.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/coronavirus-quarantine-cruise-ship-begins-testing-passengers-new-cases-san-francisco/

Pat Herrick, whose mother was a resident in the nursing home, said she got a call in the morning that her mother had passed overnight. Herrick said she was told her mother died of natural causes. She expressed doubt, insisting her mother had been healthy, but praised the Life Care staff.

"I'm asking and lobbying to make sure she gets tested, I want her body tested. And I've been told we don't do that, you know we just have to assume it's natural causes. So I'm saying that's not okay," Herrick said.

Well that's one way to keep the numbers low.

Also even if it was COVID-19, that’s still a “natural” death. Technically correct, the very best kind.

3 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

To be fair aren't all deaths natural unless they are accidental or murder?

No, they are all natural unless caused by unnatural forces, like vampires, witchcraft, or Trump's tan. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

No, they are all natural unless caused by unnatural forces, like vampires, witchcraft, or Trump's tan. 

Alex, what are three things that oddly arouse Mike Pence?  

So when the Trump Administration tells us that we have the focus of everyone on this. The very best people! We should have 1,000,000 test kits by the end of the week.

Uh... well... 75,000 test kits is what we managed to do.

I know 7.5% doesn't sound that great but that's barely twice the unemployment rate!  No Worries!

• Like 1

Trump's got his eye on the ball.  During signing ceremony for CV funding, shares his thoughts about the positive aspects the outbreak will have on travel and resort spending. 
Fuck he's an idiot. Besides the callousness of that statement it's absurd. I got an email this morning from work instructing us to cancel all non-essential travel.

Trump's got his eye on the ball.  During signing ceremony for CV funding, shares his thoughts about the positive aspects the outbreak will have on travel and resort spending. 
Fuck he's an idiot. Besides the callousness of that statement it's absurd. I got an email this morning from work instructing us to cancel all non-essential travel.

4 minutes ago, lemonlime said:
20 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

3 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Posted 4 times. Jesus how many fucking work trips did you have planned?

• Like 5

Lulz

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo accused China on Friday of holding back the United States’ response to the coronavirus outbreak by being “incredibly frustrating” to work with.

Pompeo said that China’s reluctance to provide the United States with data, which “will ultimately be the solution to both getting the vaccine and attacking this risk,” is complicating U.S. efforts.

“Remember, this is the Wuhan coronavirus that’s caused this, and the information that we got at the front end of this thing wasn’t perfect and has led us now to a place where much of the challenge we face today has put us behind the curve,” Pompeo said during a morning interview with CNBC.

2 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Lulz

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo accused China on Friday of holding back the United States’ response to the coronavirus outbreak by being “incredibly frustrating” to work with.

Pompeo said that China’s reluctance to provide the United States with data, which “will ultimately be the solution to both getting the vaccine and attacking this risk,” is complicating U.S. efforts.

“Remember, this is the Wuhan coronavirus that’s caused this, and the information that we got at the front end of this thing wasn’t perfect and has led us now to a place where much of the challenge we face today has put us behind the curve,” Pompeo said during a morning interview with CNBC.

Ah yes, already working on passing the buck because OUR reaction has been 100% perfect

9 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Important Pompeo admission: we're behind the curve.

big time.

10 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Fuck him. Our crack team of surly assholes has been diligently working on this thing since January 22, and we're just a bunch of drunk, regarded, misanthropes. 

You are welcome for sending up the bat signal and bringing the team together. Can I get a job with the next administration? 

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk