CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Meanwhile, in Canada...

Starting soon, all commercial air travellers and passengers on interprovincial trains and large marine vessels with overnight accommodations (such as cruise ships) will have to be vaccinated, Alghabra said. He said accommodations will be made for "those few who are unable to be vaccinated," such as testing and screening.

"Vaccine requirements in the transportation sector will help protect the safety of employees, their families, passengers, their communities and all Canadians. And more broadly, it will hasten Canada's recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic," he said.

6 hours ago, heso said:

Do you think it would be better to boost pfizer with moderna or more pfizer? 

Not a doctor disclaimer...I don't know and there's going to be a lot of me saying that in this post, so I'm going to lay out my thinking when I talked to a family member about it this morning.  

1) Both are statistically equally effective against ICU visits and hospitalizations so far. Unless you are immune compromised, you still have protection, even if you contract Delta. 

2) Moderna does seem to produce a stronger immune response and likely last longer, but we don't know how much longer yet until we get more real-world data. It could be as little as a month, could be a couple. Moderna claims 8 months against Delta based on lab work. Real world data, so far, is usually lower than lab results. When I first started posting about Pfizer likely waning in 4-6 months, I called 5-7 months for Moderna. I'll stick with that 7 and hope for much more.  

3) There is data that shows Pfizer's booster is effective, while Moderna is still doing trials. I'd be shocked if  Moderna's booster wasn't effective, or had any major un-reported side effects, but we technically don't know for sure. 

4) I don't know if there is a risk mixing and matching them. I don't think so, but I don't know. Many other countries mixed and matched vaccines without any problems that I've seen. Most of the studies I saw had higher efficacy for the mixed regime, than 2 doses of the same manufacturer. I'm not aware of any studies that mixed Moderna and Pfizer, but some of the countries did. 

5) I also am not sure if the size of the Moderna dose would be a problem. I don't think so, but I don't know. I'm expecting the side effects to be roughly the same as dose 2, but I really don't know. I think the dose being 3X the size of Pfizer is one of the reasons Moderna triggers a stronger immune response. 

Maybe one of the docs can chime in on that? 

All that said, I advised an immune compromised family member that asked for advice to try for Moderna. It's what I would be asking for if I needed a booster. My reasoning was they need the stronger immune response and longer protection time, because they have several underlying conditions that make them extremely vulnerable. I have some concern about the size of the third dose for them, but I'm pretty sure that's me being paranoid, given they have an auto-immune disorder. They are exposed to kids under 12 attending an unmasked school on a daily basis as well, so they face significant risk of exposure. 

Sorry for the long-ass answer to what I wish was a simple question. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

Pressley has about about 30% of surviving based on a quick google of ventilator stats and assuming he is 60 something.

Judging solely by his picture, I think that is being way generous. If I was his doctor, I think I would get a head start on the death certificate. 

FAFO

The spiritualization of bad and cruel choices is maddening. For people of faith, God blessed us with brilliant saints of all and no faiths who worked tirelessly under extraordinarily difficult conditions to produce a miraculous vaccine. Finally we could end the death and suffering with just a minor inconvenience. The inherent value of life reaffirmed.

You have not because you ask not; if you won’t accept God’s blessing via these wonderful people, what should you expect to happen? Good people sacrificed for this and so many people of faith are rejecting and vilifying them. There’s a twisted gospel message somewhere in there. A lot of the church could learn about the Gospel from the unbelieving world. They’re kicking our ass when it comes to upholding our stated values.

• Hook 'Em 3

I caught this on tv last night and it just convinced me further that we’re not getting out of this until a lot more of these fucks die. In the hospital with Covid and still don’t believe they have COVID and still won’t get vaccinated. 

• Rage+1 3

4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I caught this on tv last night and it just convinced me further that we’re not getting out of this until a lot more of these fucks die. In the hospital with Covid and still don’t believe they have COVID and still won’t get vaccinated. 

Cross them off then. These insolent children deserve every bit of pain and suffering they endure.

I just wish the finding out part of their fucking around was restricted to said cunt pumpkins. As it is we must suffer these fools as they drag us through wave after wave of largely preventable calamity.

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

So I'm supposed to go to a show at Stubb's tonight.  Supposedly masks are required, but I'm sure that will be mostly not enforced.  Is this a dumb idea?  I was planning on masking up and standing at the back.

Indoor or outdoor?  I'm supposed to see Primus here at an outdoor venue next week with my son.  I'm guessing if we mask up it isn't the worst idea?  But if it is, someone keep me from being stupid(er).

I heard that dipshit Alex Berenson on the radio today.  He just spews lies.  I am 100% convinced it's a money play on his part -- he has set himself up as the contrarian covid "expert" and is making bank.

He cites rising case and hospitalization rates in Oregon as evidence the vaccine isn't working.  It's not a big stretch to understand why that's wrong:  delta is more contagious, and it is hitting the unvaccinated hard.  

He flat out states that medical and public health personnel are lying when they say that the overwhelming majority of hospitalized covid patients are unvaccinated.

Who can fight this shit when the people he is speaking to want to hear exactly those lies?  It's maddening.

Here's an older article I read about him that deep dives into his lies and manipulation of statistics.  He's obviously not changing his tactics.  Again, it's a pathological money grab, there is no other explanation.  I wish this shit didn't bother me so much, but that's exactly what he's hoping is true.

Alex Berenson

• Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Indoor or outdoor?  I'm supposed to see Primus here at an outdoor venue next week with my son.  I'm guessing if we mask up it isn't the worst idea?  But if it is, someone keep me from being stupid(er).

Outdoor.  My wife isn't too keen on it, so we'll see if I end up going or if I'm going to have a Spotify Rise Against party in my living room tonight.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I heard that dipshit Alex Berenson on the radio today.  He just spews lies.  I am 100% convinced it's a money play on his part -- he has set himself up as the contrarian covid "expert" and is making bank.

He cites rising case and hospitalization rates in Oregon as evidence the vaccine isn't working.  It's not a big stretch to understand why that's wrong:  delta is more contagious, and it is hitting the unvaccinated hard.  

He flat out states that medical and public health personnel are lying when they say that the overwhelming majority of hospitalized covid patients are unvaccinated.

Who can fight this shit when the people he is speaking to want to hear exactly those lies?  It's maddening.

Here's an older article I read about him that deep dives into his lies and manipulation of statistics.  He's obviously not changing his tactics.  Again, it's a pathological money grab, there is no other explanation.  I wish this shit didn't bother me so much, but that's exactly what he's hoping is true.

Alex Berenson

This is the guy who thinks marijuana usage is responsible for our nation's mental health and violent crime crises.

26 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Thanks for posting it.  Again, if they don't trust medical science they should quit taking up valuable hospital space and resources.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Alex Berenson

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/618475/

4 minutes ago, Foosters said:

This is the guy who thinks marijuana usage is responsible for our nation's mental health and violent crime crises.

Oh, that just connected some dots for me.  In the small town where I grew up, the big fish small pond dumb jock QB has stuck around and established himself as the local expert in addiction counseling.  (Trust me, the irony is real.)  He is constantly hammering on cherry-picked marijuana statistics, usually out of Colorado.  I'd bet good money he's getting his "thoughts" (ha) from Berenson and guys like him, because he definitely doesn't have enough gray matter to come up with an original thought of his own.

22 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

This is the exact type of fuckery that is driving healthcare workers batshit crazy.

All the hard work and expenditure on resources for patients who are essentially ungrateful as exhibited by their behavior.

Remember these are the same patients who get to rate hospitals and healthcare workers for the work they perform and the "service" the patients receive. I recently heard some chatter about temporarily suspending patient satisfaction surveys because they would only serve to exacerbate the already high levels of burnout in healthcare workers.

I suppose natural selection isn't doing a good enough job because those refusing to get vaccinated aren't dying off fast enough and even worse, they are still able to procreate.

Don't expect healthcare workers to have any sympathy for COVID patients moving forward. We're only human too.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

This is the exact type of fuckery that is driving healthcare workers batshit crazy.

All the hard work and expenditure on resources for patients who are essentially ungrateful as exhibited by their behavior.

I was a little surprised that Chubina Hogg emphasized the fact that covid is real and a terrifying sickness.  Then, in an utterly predictable turn of events towards the end of the piece, she stated she still wasn't interested in getting the vaccine. 

I think she might do some more "research", though.  #fingerscrossed #LOLno

8 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Don't expect healthcare workers to have any sympathy for COVID patients moving forward. We're only human too.

I would be so tempted to just be like "whoops, forgot to turn your oxygen tank on.  Sorry."

4 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Also, Mrs. I-Don't-Know-What's-In-It doesn't even know what's in all the food she's obviously been scarfing down.  As if her knowing 'what's in it' would be something she could even comprehend.  

What's In It is a stay out of ICU free card you dummy.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I was a little surprised that Chubina Hogg emphasized the fact that covid is real and a terrifying sickness.  Then, in an utterly predictable turn of events towards the end of the piece, she stated she still wasn't interested in getting the vaccine. 

I think she might do some more "research", though.  #fingerscrossed #LOLno

Let's also not lose perspective of how many COVID vaccines in America are being trashed due to expiry while much of the rest of the world (including developed nations such as Australia and Japan) had experienced or continue to experience difficulty in procuring enough vaccine supply to get their respective citizenry fully vaccinated. 

This decay of moral character (including dereliction of responsibility to community and country) is what 'America First' gets you.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Let's also not lose perspective of how many COVID vaccines in America are being trashed due to expiry while much of the rest of the world (including developed nations such as Australia and Japan) had experienced or continue to experience difficulty in procuring enough vaccine supply to get their respective citizenry fully vaccinated. 

What is the refrigerated shelf life of Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J?

If practical, I would be 100% in favor of shipping them off to Oz and other needy locales with, say, a week left before expiry.  Fuck Americans who won't get the shot.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What is the refrigerated shelf life of Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J?

If practical, I would be 100% in favor of shipping them off to Oz and other needy locales with, say, a week left before expiry.  Fuck Americans who won't get the shot.

Roughly 6 months if the vials are unopened and stored properly.

It's optics. But then again doesn't everything boil down to optics? America is hoarding vaccine because no one truly knows when the pandemic will end and that opened up lots of other possibilities including the need for boosters which subsequently became a reality. It's a much worse look if America doesn't have enough vaccines to inoculate its population, so other countries are/were on backlog waiting for new vaccine to be manufactured and distributed to them because America bought out the lion's share, if not all of the initial inventory. It's one of the reasons that the Japanese people were protesting AGAINST having the Olympics because their population wasn't fully vaccinated and it wasn't as a result of their anti-vaxxer/QAnon camp.

48 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Also, Mrs. I-Don't-Know-What's-In-It doesn't even know what's in all the food she's obviously been scarfing down.  As if her knowing 'what's in it' would be something she could even comprehend.  

What's In It is a stay out of ICU free card you dummy.

200.gif

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The internet is definitely where you want to turn for that sort of advice.

Where would you turn? As I said, no one knows the answer to his question. 

People should talk it over with their doctor, but that's the data we have.

It would be nice to get proactive guidance from the CDC, or to have had clinical trials looking at it, but we aren't and we don't. The CDC announced about a week ago they are going to start a clinical trial to look at mixing and matching doses that will include mixed third boosters. They are not going to want to update the guidelines until that data comes in.

Edited by Pods

19 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Lol. Trump isn’t gonna tell his supporters to get the vaccine because he doesn’t given one shit about them and if they die. He’s the most narcissistic asshole who ever lived. He had to be hospitalized due to Covid and when he got out, told everyone not to worry about it and to just get on with their lives.

Yeah, he's out of office so it doesn't benefit him at all.  He knows that (his lack of response to) covid helped fuck his Presidency, and he's hoping it'll do the same to Biden.

2 minutes ago, Pods said:

The CDC announced about a week ago they are going to start a clinical trial to look at mixing and matching doses that will include mixed third boosters. They are not going to want to update the guidelines until that data comes in.

Meanwhile heterologous regimens have been the norm is most other first world countries for a while now.  My cousin in france did AZN + MRNA.  UK has used mixed regimens, Canada etc. It's amazing how conservative we are about vaccine regimens in the middle of a fucking pandemic.  The inability of the CDC or FDA to incorporate a little basic immunological science, epidemiology, and emerging data into their decision making at this point is bang head against the wall frustrating.  We should have been doing rapid roll out of first dose, mixed regimens and extended intervals when necessary from day 1 in the US.  We would have saved thousands of lives and perhaps even got in front of the disinformation curve with more rapid uptake. 

42 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The internet is definitely where you want to turn for that sort of advice.

I had a Zoom faculty meeting today.  

At one point, another prof asked about getting a booster shot, which prompted a 5-minute discussion on what people had heard.

Me: "Are we done here?"

Chair: "Huh?"

Me:  "Well, I don't think this is the proper place to discuss whether or not someone should get a vaccine booster.  That needs to be discussed with your doctor.  Is there anything else on the agenda?"

I'm not sure if everyone thinks I was being an asshole or were grateful that I caused the meeting to end earlier.

Probably both.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Meanwhile heterologous regimens have been the norm is most other first world countries for a while now.  My cousin in france did AZN + MRNA.  UK has used mixed regimens, Canada etc. It's amazing how conservative we are about vaccine regimens in the middle of a fucking pandemic.  The inability of the CDC or FDA to incorporate a little basic immunological science, epidemiology, and emerging data into their decision making at this point is bang head against the wall frustrating.  We should have been doing rapid roll out of first dose, mixed regimens and extended intervals when necessary from day 1 in the US.  We would have saved thousands of lives and perhaps even got in front of the disinformation curve with more rapid uptake. 

I'm 100% in agreement with everything but the highlighted text.  There is no getting in front of the disinformation train.  It adapts to current science, because it isn't about truth, it's about "us" vs "them".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

At one point, another prof asked about getting a booster shot, which prompted a 5-minute discussion on what people had heard.

Me:  "Well, I don't think this is the proper place to discuss whether or not someone should get a vaccine booster.  That needs to be discussed with your doctor.  Is there anything else on the agenda?"

I'm not sure if everyone thinks I was being an asshole or were grateful that I caused the meeting to end earlier.

Probably both.

Well, obviously they were appalled that you didn't know if there was anything else on the agenda.  Somebody had to type that up, and you clearly couldn't be bothered to memorize it.  Fucking professors.

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Probably both.

Should have just gone to the restroom and flushed the toilet with the mutes off. That's one of my key moves. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You've forgotten more about this topic than I'll ever know.  And we could have reworked the logistical side of the regimens to perfection, but we were never going to outrun the Empowered Stupidity in this nation.  We were always gonna hit this roadblock that we've been in for 60 days, and probably 60 more days to go.  Science and a better deployment method mixed with better messaging and continued mitigation efforts.  Would have saved maybe a few thousand people, but that's being generous. 

The curve of stupidity cannot be flattened.  Stupid people got a taste of not only feeling smart, but feeling in control.  That drug is impossible to kick.  Enough of them will be shamed into taking it, or feel like "Ah well, what the hell?  Nobody cares anymore that I chose not to take it for freedom reasons.  Might as well, I think we might need it for work anyway."  Plus a little uptick in herd from all the new cases.  We should drag our asses across the finish line by mid-Autumn.  If we're lucky.