CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

So the FDA has authorized a 3rd dose of Pfizer or Moderna for certain individuals.  I'm curious to see what proof is required to qualify?
Dose Tres

Spoiler

The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday authorized third doses of Pfizer-BioNTech’s and Moderna’s coronavirus vaccines for some people with weakened immune systems, giving physicians more leeway to protect those who did not respond enough to an initial series of shots.
The authorization, in the form of updates to the existing emergency use authorizations for the two vaccines, applies to people who received solid organ transplants and others with similarly compromised immune systems, the F.D.A. said.
The agency’s decision came a day before the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s independent advisory committee was set to consider and vote on whether to recommend the move. The committee is likely to give its approval, and the C.D.C. would follow with its own endorsement of the additional doses.
“The F.D.A. is especially cognizant that immunocompromised people are particularly at risk for severe disease,” Dr. Janet Woodcock, the acting F.D.A. commissioner, said in a statement. “After a thorough review of the available data, the F.D.A. determined that this small, vulnerable group may benefit from a third dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna Vaccines.”
The authorization of the third doses kicks off what promises to be a busy next stretch for federal vaccine regulators — and a new phase of the nation’s inoculation drive. By the start of next month, the agency is expected to grant full approval to Pfizer-BioNTech’s vaccine. That will most likely prompt a wave of vaccination mandates from companies and organizations that waited to require vaccination until the F.D.A. fully cleared a vaccine.
At the same time, government scientists and regulators are grappling with whether more Americans will need booster shots, a hotly debated move that many scientists argue is not yet supported by data. Other countries such as Israel and Germany have implemented booster policies.
Did you know you can share 10 gift articles a month, even with nonsubscribers?
Share this article.
“Other individuals who are fully vaccinated are adequately protected and do not need an additional dose of Covid-19 vaccine at this time,” Dr. Woodcock said in her statement Thursday, adding that the agency was “actively engaged in a science-based, rigorous process with our federal partners to consider whether an additional dose may be needed in the future.”
The United States is the latest country to begin offering third doses to those with weaker immune systems. France has offered additional vaccine doses to certain people with poor immune responses since April, and Germany and Hungary recently followed suit.
About 3 percent of Americans have weakened immune systems for a variety of reasons, from a history of cancer to the use of certain medications such as steroids.
Editors’ Picks
Eye Drops Were Supposed to Help Her Vision. Why Did It Feel Worse?
Can We Ever Look at Titian’s Paintings the Same Way Again?
The March of the Karens
The F.D.A.’s decision to limit the category of people with weakened immune systems who should receive the extra dose was expected. Many scientists argue that the immunocompromised population is too diverse to uniformly recommend additional shots of coronavirus vaccine. Some may be protected by the standard vaccine dosage, despite their conditions. Others may be poorly shielded by the vaccines, but unable to benefit from an additional shot.
Studies suggest that patients such as organ transplant recipients are in between — often showing little immune response to the standard vaccine regimen, but benefiting from a third shot. One recent randomized, placebo-controlled study by Canadian researchers found that a third dose of the Moderna vaccine improved the immune response of people in that group.

giphy.gif
  • Haha 1

My wife taught in the Park Cities for a long time, and I’m not sure I ever met a parent of one of her students that would do such a thing, and I broke bread with plenty of them.  The ones I still follow on social media because I am too lazy to delete people I don’t really interact with anymore are woke moms with dads who go along to get along.  A little subtle racism? Sure.  But the education level there prevents full on stupidity in my experience.  I’m sure there are plenty of HP olds who are doing what they are told to do via Facebook, but the ones with school age kids are generally reasonable, well-educated human beings.  It’s also possible that the wife didn’t accept dinner invitations from the loons.

I think the last few years — and the pandemic — has brought out the worst in everybody, including Park Cities parents. There are wonderful people in the Park Cities and some truly wretched, odious people. I try to avoid the jackasses as much as I can — but I can say I’ve seen a side of some people during the pandemic I didn’t know existed.

I’m not from here but married (now divorced) into it. My kids go to school in HPISD and I have many friends — and clients — in HP/UP but I definitely have to watch what I say around certain people because I can’t risk business relationships.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I think the last few years — and the pandemic — has brought out the worst in everybody, including Park Cities parents. There are wonderful people in the Park Cities and some truly wretched, odious people. I try to avoid them as much as I can — but I can say I’ve seen a side of some people during the pandemic I didn’t know existed.

I’m not from here but married (now divorced) into it. My kids go to school in HPISD and I have many friends — and clients — in HP/UP but I definitely have to watch what I say around certain people because I can’t risk business relationships.

How old are you?  I’m 46 and have not felt the need to watch what I say around anyone my age or younger.  Aunts, uncles, parents and their friends are a different deal.

Edited by conVINCEd

How old are you?  I’m 46 and have not felt the need to watch what I say around anyone my age or younger.  Aunts, uncles, parents and their friends are a different deal.

I’ll be 49 this fall. I’m in sales (high net worth personal insurance) and these are my clients and prospects. I have to be careful with the things I say around people that move around in those circles. It is what it is.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

I’ll be 49 this fall. I’m in sales (high net worth personal insurance) and these are my clients and prospects. I have to be careful with the things I say around people that move around in those circles. It is what it is.

I get it.  My impression is that 95% of the parents sending their kids to school currently (20’s/30’s/40’s) are rational humans.  Their parents are a different story.

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Ah yeah. The "I made a lot of money in this one thing, so therefore I'm an expert on all things" crowd.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Well now you know that he doesn't tell you what he really thinks. I bet he's even gone as far as tearing Wallace stickers off the bumpers of cars.

He ain't even got a garage; I called home and asked his wife.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Bookman said:

Hey remember all the retards who said that Covid talk would go away after the election?

Donald Trump was still saying it in late October. Pretty sure Don Jr. was too. Or he might have said it at the RNC. It’s hard to keep all their bullshit straight. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

6 hours ago, Pods said:

They speculate the same reasons for Moderna being more effective that have been speculated by myself and others on here (larger doses and longer dosing interval), but also note the lipids used to coat the spike protein are different.

Unfortunately, they didn't analyze date of vaccination, so it's not clear if it's waning immunity, or Delta, or something else. I think it's likely it's both, but that's my own opinion. 

Another variable to consider is that Pfizer vaccinations started considerably earlier than Moderna on average, so there are more people walking around 5-6 months post-Pfizer vaccination than post-Moderna. The Mayo didn't look at vaccination date, so we can't tell how big of an effect that had.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pods said:

Another variable to consider is that Pfizer vaccinations started considerably earlier than Moderna on average, so there are more people walking around 5-6 months post-Pfizer vaccination than post-Moderna. The Mayo didn't look at vaccination date, so we can't tell how big of an effect that had.  

Do you think it would be better to boost pfizer with moderna or more pfizer? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

We all know why Trump won't do a full-throated vaccine endorsement, but to read a story about the reasoning gives it more meaning:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/donald-trump-keeps-rejecting-pleas-from-allies-for-pro-vax-campaign?ref=home?ref=home

Reveal hidden contents

Whether Trump sees doing that as politically beneficial to himself, however, remains an open question—at best.

According to the four sources who spoke to The Daily Beast about their phone calls and in-person conversations since early this year with Trump or former first lady Melania, the suggestions have varied considerably.

Some have suggested teaming up with the Bidens, while others have told the former president that it would be an awful idea, both on pragmatic and political levels. Several have suggested Donald and Melania Trump star in public service announcements and others videos, such as those featuring highly visible conservative influencers. Others have pitched the former president on dedicating entire interviews and whole speeches to the topic, making appearances at related venues with doctors, prominent Republicans, or pro-vaccine evangelical leaders.

Some have recommended that Trump welcome vaccination drives at his ongoing series of political rallies, while some have kept their proposals as simple as telling Trump that his office and political operation should blast out reminders to get people and their families vaccinated against COVID-19.

Thus far, hardly any of these suggestions have gone anywhere, nor has anything remotely resembling a serious push from the ex-president come to pass. A Trump spokeswoman did not respond to emails seeking comment for this story.

This summer, some high-profile Trump confidants have made pro-vaccine pitches to GOP voters. Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Trump’s former White House press secretary, put out a July opinion piece titled, “The reasoning behind getting vaccinated.”

“Based on the advice of my doctor,” Sanders wrote, “I determined that the benefits of getting vaccinated outweighed any potential risks. I was also reassured after President Trump and his family were vaccinated. If getting vaccinated was safe enough for them, I felt it was safe enough for me.”

And early this month, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), a top Trump ally on Capitol Hill, told the Associated Press that he encouraged Trump to “speak up” and “to be aggressive and say, ‘Take the vaccine.’”

More than 400,000 Americans had died of coronavirus when Trump left office, and the death count has swelled to more than 600,000 since. But as Trump has settled into a post-presidency defined largely by prolonging his anti-democratic crusade and settling scores with Republicans who crossed him, the former president has privately dropped hints about why, exactly, he has been so derelict.

According to two of the sources who have spoken to Trump about this, he has occasionally referenced polling and other indicators—such as what he’s seen on TV—that show how the vaccines are unpopular with many of his supporters. This has left the impression with some of those close to Trump that he doesn’t want to push too hard on the subject, so as to not “piss off his base,” one of the two people said.

At other times in recent months, Trump has simply said he doesn’t feel he needs to do any “favors” for Biden, given how much Biden is “destroying” the country—and that if Biden wants to ask him to do something, the sitting president is welcome to ask, the sources recounted.

Although Trump has told unvaccinated supporters to get their coronavirus shots during a handful of public appearances—campaign-style rallies, fundraisers, media interviews—he’s also qualified his endorsement of the vaccines by emphasizing that the “freedoms” not to get it are important, too.

Trump even released a written statement last month sympathizing with anti-vaxxers because, according to Trump, "people are refusing to take the Vaccine because they don't trust [Biden’s] Administration, they don't trust the Election results, and they certainly don’t trust the Fake News, which is refusing to tell the Truth.”

In poll after poll this year, self-identified Republicans have been out of step with the mainstream of Americans on a number of public health issues related to the coronavirus pandemic, from attitudes towards mask requirements, to vaccine hesitancy, to blatant anti-vaccine posturing.

A Morning Consult poll published Wednesday showed approval for local government mask mandates in offices, gyms, and indoor dining areas enjoyed hovering in the low to mid 60 percent range among Americans overall. But the partisan breakdown shows that, despite majorities of independents and Democrats supporting mask mandates, most Republicans are still opposed to them.

The contrast is also reflected in vaccine uptake. Seventy-six percent of those who identify as Democrats or lean Democratic told Morning Consult pollsters they were fully vaccinated but that number shrunk to 62 percent for Republicans and those who lean towards the GOP.

A poll conducted by Monmouth University in late July found that Republicans make up the bulk of those who are staunchly opposed to the vaccine rather than the merely hesitant or procrastinating. Seventeen percent of respondents made up the hardcore of respondents who said they will “likely will never get the vaccine” if they can avoid it. Republicans make up the vast majority of those hardcore refusals, accounting for 70 percent of the “never” respondents compared to just six percent for Democrats.

Despite his inaction, this is a situation that Trump himself has acknowledged is a problem among conservatives—and he even acknowledged that it could be a huge problem as early as September, before he lost the 2020 presidential contest.

“It was a glancing conversation in the Oval Office in September, in between meetings, and I mentioned how vaccine hesitancy was likely going to be a big problem, especially among Republicans and Trump supporters,” Michael Caputo, a former Trump campaign adviser who later served as the assistant secretary of public affairs at the Department of Health and Human Services under Trump, said in an interview in March. “And he said, ‘Yes, I understand, and it’s a problem.’”

Caputo added that he’d been told Trump had other conversations after he left the administration. “We started getting more and more suspicious of [anti-vaccine sentiment on the right] as I left,” Caputo said. “We were talking amongst ourselves in HHS in August, saying that it was ironic that the most vaccine-hesitant among us were our friends, our allies. And we still face that question.”

In April, Caputo told CNN he visited Trump at Mar-a-Lago just weeks before, adding that they “spoke about vaccine hesitancy and what can be done about it.”

But as 2021 went on, Republican hostility toward the COVID vaccines has been reinforced and stoked by some of the biggest names in right-wing media and MAGA-land.

On Fox News, Laura Ingraham has been among the most frequent critics of COVID-19 vaccines on the network, according to a Media Matters study. Primetime host Tucker Carlson has also wrongly declared to his audience that “maybe the vaccine doesn’t work” and has recklessly suggested that vaccines are killing dozens of people a day.

This phenomenon, of course, did not spring out of nowhere.

For one, a mid-2016 study conducted by Washington State University for The Daily Beast found that anti-vaxxer respondents frequently said they believed Trump shared their views, compared to Democrats, who were much more pro-vaccine. The correlation pointed to a relatively recent shift in partisan attitudes towards vaccines, as polling in the late 2000s and early 2010s didn’t show a strong correlation between partisan affiliation and attitudes towards vaccination.

As for the current Trump fundraising operation, there isn’t much shyness when it comes to hitting up donors and supporters with messages encouraging vaccine “freedom.” 

On Wednesday afternoon, Team Trump texted supporters asking, “Why haven’t you claimed your ‘FREEDOM PASSPORT’ shirt from President Trump?”

The link sends users to a page from WinRed, the Republican fundraising platform, offering a white T-shirt emblazoned with the American flag and the words “THIS IS MY FREEDOM PASSPORT” for a $45 donation.

While the page text itself doesn’t mention vaccines, metadata tags in the page’s html code instruct social media platforms to apply a more direct headline when the link is posted to Facebook or Twitter: “FREEDOM PASSPORTS > VACCINE PASSPORTS.”

What a joke that anyone in Trumps orbit suggesting to Trump that he participate with Biden in a speech to encourage vaccination. Remember, trump has neither met nor spoke with Biden since before the election. Getting on stage with Biden would be some level of acknowledgment that Biden is the actual President, which cannot be done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What a joke that anyone in Trumps orbit suggesting to Trump that he participate with Biden in a speech to encourage vaccination. Remember, trump has neither met nor spoke with Biden since before the election. Getting on stage with Biden would be some level of acknowledgment that Biden is the actual President, which cannot be done.

But he recently acknowledged Biden was President.  Seems this point was lost to lots of MAGA folk.  Your point remains, however.  He would never, ever appear anywhere near Biden, no matter how benign the situtation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Huckabeef and Ladybugs aren't going to convince him. It's encouraging she has made a stand for getting the jab. 

It's still mind boggling. Biden just did the things he had at hand. Trump could have been a fucking hero if he wasn't so dug in on it being a hoax.

Still living by Dotatrd's Razor. What's the stupidest option? That's the one for him.

So of course he will sit and pout while his base dies. 

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

But he recently acknowledged Biden was President.  Seems this point was lost to lots of MAGA folk.  Your point remains, however.  He would never, ever appear anywhere near Biden, no matter how benign the situtation.

Fair point that the words came out of his mouth. But as you state appearing with Biden is at a different level. That is a fundamental acknowledgement that Biden won the election.

Three teachers and a teaching assistant in Florida's Broward County died from COVID-19 within a span of 24 hours, the Broward Teachers Union told NBC Miami on Thursday.

The union's president, Anna Fusco, said at least three of the four were unvaccinated, per NBC Miami. All four were on summer break when they caught the virus and died just as the school year was about to begin, she added.

Fusco told CBS Miami that one was a high-school teacher, another taught in elementary school, and the teaching assistant and the remaining teacher were from the same school. "It's extremely frightening," she said. "I hear this every day. Whether in Broward or elsewhere. We're the fifth-largest union in the country."

She told NBC Miami: "It really hits because we've been in this conversation about masking up in schools, our own elected governor acting like masks are not necessary."

Broward County is located in southeastern Florida and includes Fort Lauderdale. Earlier this week, the Broward County Public Schools board defied Gov. Ron DeSantis' ban on mask mandates. They voted 8-1 to require staff members and students to wear face coverings amid a record-breaking spike in the state's coronavirus cases.

"Bring it," said one board member, Nora Rupert, after DeSantis threatened to withhold paychecks of school officials who made masks mandatory.

A representative for DeSantis previously told Insider's Connor Perret that DeSantis wanted to protect parents' rights to choose whether their kids should wear masks

https://www.insider.com/four-broward-county-school-teachers-pass-from-covid-24-hours-2021-8

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So I'm supposed to go to a show at Stubb's tonight.  Supposedly masks are required, but I'm sure that will be mostly not enforced.  Is this a dumb idea?  I was planning on masking up and standing at the back.

Didn't you just have Covid, or am I confused?

17 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Measures of central tendency are just different types of "averages", ways to characterize a distribution. In common usage, "average" is used to refer to the arithmetic mean, but technically there are many different types of "averages". It's terminology and pedantry. I always referred to these things as measures of central tendency and not "averages". I think that it was  @Huckleberry that actually brought this particular pedantry to my attention when this clip was put forth in the past, and I chose to enthusiastically embrace it. 

Does pedantic bullshit sound like something I'd post?

Okay, yeah, was probably me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

He has brain Covid.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

So I'm supposed to go to a show at Stubb's tonight.  Supposedly masks are required, but I'm sure that will be mostly not enforced.  Is this a dumb idea?  I was planning on masking up and standing at the back.

Who’s playing?

20 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I bet his aides asked the healthcare workers to remove their masks for the photo. And that the one woman gave them the staredown that she wasn't going to, and dared them to ask her to step out of the photo.

It's FL.  Half those workers are anti-vaxxers.

19 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

There is no possible way to police that.

On the NOLA crackdown, would it be just fines?  If someone got out of hand and started resisting, would they be arrested?   If so, where do they put all these unvacinnated dumbasses?  Surely they'd have to have some special holding facility?  Honestly, that would definitely be another facet to policing this.

18 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It is AMAZING how sensitive these fucking people are.  

YES! Even wearing a slight mask throws their life balance all out of whack.

13 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Hope she makes it. I don't have it in me to get mad at telenovela stars who rush into a room in a push-up bra, spewing a stream of loud inaccurate invective, who then throw a vase at your dead father's portrait while daring you to jump up, grab them, and crush them close in your arms. YOUR BROTHER PABLO WOULD HAVE DONE THAT. If you were only half the man he was.

Trump is Pablo.  Biden is his brother.  It's one reason they had such a swing from blue to red.

4 hours ago, Bookman said:

I persuaded a friend of mine to get the jab. She's 50.

When I found out she hadn't been vaccinated, I asked her why. She responded "I already had Covid."

"You did? You never told me that. When did you get it?"

"I got it around Thanksgiving 2019. I was sick for days."

"2019 or 2020?"

"2019."

"Were you in China or something?"

"No. It was going around here before it became official."

"Did you lose your sense of smell?"

"No."

"Did you lose your sense of taste?"

"No."

"Why do you think you had Covid?"

"Because I was sick."

This is what we're dealing with people.

My brother tried to sell me this.  Fortunately he and his wife went ahead and got shots.  

34 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

giphy.gif

I love this gif.  She hits him so hard, her own teeth rattle.

• Hook 'Em 1