CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yep.  This is the part that infuriates me with them.  If they would at least eschew medical help altogether, our hospitals wouldn't be full.  But no, they get sick and rush off to the ER to be pumped full of all kinds of shit (including their favorite, Regeneron, which is only available under an EUA).  And they're fine with this.  But 2 vaccine shots is a bridge too far for some reason.

My mom knew an older lady in a hill country town who was an antivaxxer. She caught it and never told anyone or left the house. They found her dead.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

I can't recall who it was, maybe @pyrohornIII or @washparkhorn or (speak up if you know!) who posted the video of Tomorrow Belongs to Me from Cabaret, but even as January 6th moves further away in the rearview, up ahead lies the real storm. It isn't all blue hairs in the GOP and the young ones are a salty bitter lot.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Grandioso said:

This is at least a principled and dignified way to go. Not sap resources from others and quietly die alone in a mess of your own making. Props to this lady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a horrible way to die though. Alone, sick, desperately trying to breathe but your lungs won't let you.

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Wanna move to Texas and run for senator? You got the surly vote and you would wipe the floor with Cruz in debates. Help us, Penelope. You’re our only hope 

As someone who is leaving the state soon, it really bothers me that I will no longer get to vote here.  Feels a bit like quitting.  Being a Texan has always felt like being an American, I should have the right to vote from abroad.  But I will have to focus my attention on doing good in my new home.

• Hook 'Em 1

My mom knew an older lady in a hill country town who was an antivaxxer. She caught it and never told anyone or left the house. They found her dead.

What a horrible way to die though. Alone, sick, desperately trying to breathe but your lungs won't let you.

Maybe so. But you forget that dying alone, in pain and suffering, is totally worth it if you own the libs in the process.

Perfect and accurate sequence.

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

As someone who is leaving the state soon, it really bothers me that I will no longer get to vote here.  Feels a bit like quitting.  Being a Texan has always felt like being an American, I should have the right to vote from abroad.  But I will have to focus my attention on doing good in my new home.

Tell us all what it feels like to vote and have good people listen to you and enact fair, prosperous, and gracious things on your behalf.  I’m assuming you’re moving to New Zealand, or Antarctica, or Mars.  But for real, Neptune. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Ladies and gentlemen, this is Ellen Troxclair, a "conservative" who is running for the Texas legislature. Here she is yesterday at a campaign event in Bell County, one of the least vaccinated counties in Texas despite being the home of Scott and White Hospital, one of the largest hospitals in the world.  Notice 1) how many old people are there 2) how nobody is wearing a mask  3) how white the crowd is. In a state that's 40% Hispanic there doesn't appear to be a single Mexican there.  

They truly are trying to kill off their voters. 

Ellen troxclair.jpg

Wood. Prob 100% chance she's getting plowed by other dudes.

MrTdgpLf.jpeg

• Fuck You 1

15 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Ladies and gentlemen, this is Ellen Troxclair, a "conservative" who is running for the Texas legislature. Here she is yesterday at a campaign event in Bell County, one of the least vaccinated counties in Texas despite being the home of Scott and White Hospital, one of the largest hospitals in the world.  Notice 1) how many old people are there 2) how nobody is wearing a mask  3) how white the crowd is. In a state that's 40% Hispanic there doesn't appear to be a single Mexican there.  

They truly are trying to kill off their voters. 

Ellen troxclair.jpg

We went to a memorial in Kerrville last Saturday for my FIL's best friend. Maybe 50-60 people, all about the age of the people in that photo. Not a single mask. Lots of hugging and sitting close together (because they're all hard of hearing, so they sit close to talk) At least it was outdoors. 

12 hours ago, Fletch said:

Wanna move to Texas and run for senator? You got the surly vote and you would wipe the floor with Cruz in debates. Help us, Penelope. You’re our only hope 

You guys might laugh, but i had given thought in the past to if I could run for The Texas lege and still keep my day job.  I decided against it.

That being said, me running for Senator and winning would result in me taking a pay cut.  How about this, I will run against Traitor Ted if I win the lottery.  Someone in Manhattan won the Mega Millions last night from a ticket bought on W 48th at a pizza place (alas, not me), so it does actually happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

You guys might laugh, but i had given thought in the past to if I could run for The Texas lege and still keep my day job.  I decided against it.

That being said, me running for Senator and winning would result in me taking a pay cut.  How about this, I will run against Traitor Ted if I win the lottery.  Someone in Manhattan won the Mega Millions last night from a ticket bought on W 48th at a pizza place (alas, not me), so it does actually happen.

The surly mafia will make sure you’re taken care of. @Brisketexan can be your campaign manager 

16 hours ago, crash_davis said:

0kaq0zxv5vo71.jpg

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611cd540ee5441af7b156

On behalf of the liberal conspiracy, I would like to thank all the Republicans, Libertarians and anti-vaxxers that have so enthusiastically killed themselves through their refusal to be administered the Trump vaccine (tm).   You are the real heroes.  Without you, this diabolical stroke of genius to kill off our political adversaries would just be a heroic public health success for all US citizens.  Thank you, God bless you, and goodnight.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/blm-organizer-de-blasio-vaccine-mandate-weaponized-black-community

The co-founder of New York's Black Lives Matter chapter said New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio 's citywide vaccine mandate is targeting the black community and creating conditions akin to segregation.

Seventy-two percent of black people in this city from ages 18 to 44 are unvaccinated ," Chivona Newsome said during a Monday protest in New York City. "So what is going to stop the Gestapo, I mean the NYPD, from rounding up black people, from snatching them off the train, off the bus?”

Edited by ouflak

Considering how much Mike Flynn likes to toss Trump's salad, dressing was the logical choice.  

I'm assuming orange vinaigrette.  But am open to other options.  

Edited by Lobo

I clicked on the link in the Examiner. My computer probably has a virus now. Thanks.

The Examiner reached out for comment to BLM Greater NY but didn't hear back, so the opportunity for clarification was lacking. For example, what is the group doing to counter the misinformation that is everywhere. Many black residents are not opposed to the vaccine, for example, but some fear they will feel ill and have to miss work and so on. More mobile outreach vaccine vans or shot clinics like the one AME church held (can't recall the borough) would be great.

Well THANK YOU DUMB ASS ABBOTT!!!!

So the good news is that at least one of the people I begged to get a vaccine shot for her and her epileptic son, got the vaccine... for her son.  She got covid... not sure which happened first, but thankfully the mother is OK.

The bad news is our GOvernor's endless stupidity has caused three more breakthrough cases.  In all three instances the vaccinated people who got sick got the disease from unvaccinated school age children.  Now I will be the first to say it's hard for little kids to always wear masks.  But it's fucking dumber than dumb to prevent school districts from trying to do the ONLY THING simple that works to protect our children, wearing masks.

So here we are.  I guess the "good news" is that more and more Republicans are dying as a percentage of the population.  So Abbott is literally killing his own.  Not to even mention the long term debilitation of many of Abbott's followers.  Like Ron White said, "You can't fix Stupid!"  But Abbott is not stupid, he is simply willing to allow covid to spread endlessly for.... the HOPE of political gain.  Lives mean nothing to Abbott and his Republican ilk at this point.  Anyone who thinks that Abbott's abortion stance has anything at all to do with caring about children is... well stupid.  

And the world keeps turning, and (some) Republican Governors simply don't care about human life.  Sad but absolutely true!

• Rage+1 1

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021/health/global-covid-vaccinations/

At some level is the political side of this much ado about nothing? Seems all developed nations are about the same in vaccine rates.  We are laggards, but not freakishly. I've highlighted some of our notables in our peer group below. 

I feel like it is similar to people's professed beliefs being different from their actual behavior that we talk about all the time in politics. Ask them who is going to refuse to get a vaccine, you'll get a lot of 'hell yeah. freedom!' but when the time comes, the same number do it here anyway as do anywhere else. The actual hermancainaward behavior is a number who is just very loud about their stupidity because they are Americans and enjoy having loud stupidity and we amplify it.  But their numbers aren't that out of line with what it seems like we should expect anywhere in the world.

Netherlands 22,196,529
Cyprus 1,138,132
Cook Islands 22,456
Mauritius 1,625,865
Monaco 49,980
Germany 106,070,782
Falkland Islands 4,407
Turkey 106,066,262
Lithuania 3,339,375
Malaysia 40,664,674
Japan 154,971,886
Anguilla 18,565
Luxembourg 777,789
Andorra 93,430
Liechtenstein 45,718
Austria 10,750,025
Switzerland 10,158,674
Saudi Arabia 41,176,166
Ecuador 20,813,706
Sri Lanka 24,927,089
Panama 5,061,909
Greece 11,934,359
United States 386,780,816
Sint Maarten 49,159
Curaçao 185,751
South Korea 57,316,031
Hong Kong 8,423,251
El Salvador 7,184,406
Czech Republic 11,737,482
Argentina 49,331,494
Fiji 975,268
Dominican Republic 11,672,207
British Virgin Islands 32,229
Brazil 223,469,326
Morocco 38,436,040
Costa Rica 5,278,407
Estonia 1,338,040
French Polynesia 282,180
Slovenia 2,072,356
New Zealand
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I clicked on the link in the Examiner. My computer probably has a virus now. Thanks.

The Examiner reached out for comment to BLM Greater NY but didn't hear back, so the opportunity for clarification was lacking. For example, what is the group doing to counter the misinformation that is everywhere. Many black residents are not opposed to the vaccine, for example, but some fear they will feel ill and have to miss work and so on. More mobile outreach vaccine vans or shot clinics like the one AME church held (can't recall the borough) would be great.

This is why I am pissed at BLM.  If they matter, then get out there and pound the pavement doing outreach to counter or stop the spread of misinformation.  So far, people are choosing to be disenfranchised.  This isn’t racism or something they cannot control.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ouflak said:

Actually, her numbers are wrong,  it is 65% of black New Yorkers between 18 and 44 are not fully vaccinated.  Also, another 9% have had at least one shot.

However, again.  This vaccine is WIDELY available and FREE.  So what the fuck is BLM doing to ensure that black citizens get vaccinated?  Seems like they could be doing a lot of good rather than protesting a shitty tourist trap with a hostess that might have used a slur when enforcing the law.  BLM is on the wrong side of this.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

This is the Bell County Republican County Chair.   She's a full on GQP

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/unvaccinated-central-texas-bell-county/

Nancy-Boston-Republican-Party-Bell-County.jpg

Although a metaphysical store might seem out of place in a town better known for its massive military base, King of Swords is one of three stores at the Killeen Mall hawking magic crystals. Sales have been so strong that RamStone is expanding into a permanent space, next to Kay’s Jewelers and Candy Corner, where he will provide tarot readings and sell metaphysical books with titles like Ascension Magick and The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Spells and Spellcraft. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=ecf05e47dt

Just for fun and before I get back to work, I looked up Michael Flynn's little "medical" friends listed at the bottom of that video tweet.

Vladimir Zelenko is the HCQ proponent from way back who got in trouble in April of 2020 when he claimed to have FDA approval for a HCQ study *he did not have approval* and when Jerome Corsi who had been working on a telemedicine website *ah, um, gee, that's sounds like rather erm suspicious timing* with Zelenko accidentally emailed not Zelenko, but Aaron Zelinsky, the federal prosecutor who had worked with Robert Mueller and had questioned Corsi regarding Roger Stone. A series of uh-oh exchanges ensued when Zelinsky responded to Corsi's email, but ultimately nothing happened. *Boo! Boo this man!*

Gotta be careful with those auto prompts Jerome!

The other fellow is from the Rand Paul school of medicine, which is the veering out of the ophthalmology branch and into all things COVID because why not. Jim Meehan has been a member of the Encyclopedia of American Loons since about 2018. He operated(s) a wellness center in Oklahoma *hmmmm, lots of potential for irony there but nah* and is pretty much all in on anti-vaccination conspiracy theory VAERS database is accurate and reliable medical quackery.

And that is pretty much the grifter game. The bar to be an ethical practitioner of healthcare is too high for these folks because they can make a lot of money selling snake oil anti-parasitics and charms and other propaganda designed to keep the groupthink coalesced and unified and not be limited by ethics or state lines or health boards or what have you. It is ominous because they are an arm of Flynn's and Manafort's insurgent effort and are out of control and extremist enough to follow commands. Not good, not good at all, at all.

Encyclopedia of American Loons: https://americanloons.blogspot.com/2018/03/1989-jim-meehan_31.html

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ouflak said:

So, person who posted a link to an article along with a quote from said article: are you going to return and contribute your thoughts, questions, suggestions, and concerns to the discussion?