CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

39 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Yeah, I forgot about that.  Hey Mom and Dad, maybe don't go dining indoors during a pandemic if you're worried about your son who can't be vaccinated and is immunocompromised.  Was the kid with them?  I can't remember from my reading of the original news story.

100% agree - parents are dumbasses.

Dining indoor with a bunch of unvaxxed yokels just for some chicken fingers and Miller Lite.

22 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yeah but it’s funny cuz it’s true. People need to relax. Asians prove once again they are by far the smartest demo. 

And (at the risk of characterizing too broadly), being culturally collectivistic (vs. individualistic) certainly has to help in situations like this.

Welp, Americans aren't the only crazies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/21/world/germany-coronovirus-shooting-covid.html

The suspect, who has no previous police record, told the authorities that he saw the cashier as “responsible for the situation because he was enforcing the rules,” Mr. Fuhrmann said.

46 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

And (at the risk of characterizing too broadly), being culturally collectivistic (vs. individualistic) certainly has to help in situations like this.

Only when the collective is rational. I would argue that a large swath of the unvaxxed knuckleheads are not really individualistic at all; they are merely parroting the numbskull collective to which they belong.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yeah but it’s funny cuz it’s true. People need to relax. Asians prove once again they are by far the smartest demo. 

True story, my now husband was a 20something directly from Asia, and he lived here for 10 years before he gave up on wanting to buy a minivan. The thirst is real.

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Only when the collective is rational. I would argue that a large swath of the unvaxxed knuckleheads are not really individualistic at all; they are merely parroting the numbskull collective to which they belong.

Great post.  Marching like lemmings off the anti-vaccination cliff is not rugged individualism.

15 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

True. Tribalism is definitely a factor, although I think that tribalism is more of a choice than an overarching cultural norm.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is Ellen Troxclair, a "conservative" who is running for the Texas legislature. Here she is yesterday at a campaign event in Bell County, one of the least vaccinated counties in Texas despite being the home of Scott and White Hospital, one of the largest hospitals in the world.  Notice 1) how many old people are there 2) how nobody is wearing a mask  3) how white the crowd is. In a state that's 40% Hispanic there doesn't appear to be a single Mexican there.  

They truly are trying to kill off their voters. 

Ellen troxclair.jpg

• Drool 1

On 8/26/2021 at 6:51 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The personal freedom folks should follow thru on their conviction and just stay home to die when they get sick. Bunch of quitters running to the hospital just because their oxygen level gets too low.

Yep.  This is the part that infuriates me with them.  If they would at least eschew medical help altogether, our hospitals wouldn't be full.  But no, they get sick and rush off to the ER to be pumped full of all kinds of shit (including their favorite, Regeneron, which is only available under an EUA).  And they're fine with this.  But 2 vaccine shots is a bridge too far for some reason.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Yep.  This is the part that infuriates me with them.  If they would at least eschew medical help altogether, our hospitals wouldn't be full.  But no, they get sick and rush off to the ER to be pumped full of all kinds of shit (including their favorite, Regeneron, which is only available under an EUA).  And they're fine with this.  But 2 vaccine shots is a bridge too far for some reason.

They are ignorant, hateful children.  That's why.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Ladies and gentlemen, this is Ellen Troxclair, a "conservative" who is running for the Texas legislature. Here she is yesterday at a campaign event in Bell County, one of the least vaccinated counties in Texas despite being the home of Scott and White Hospital, one of the largest hospitals in the world.  Notice 1) how many old people are there 2) how nobody is wearing a mask  3) how white the crowd is. In a state that's 40% Hispanic there doesn't appear to be a single Mexican there.  

Ellen troxclair.jpg

@PenelopeWitherspoon 

• Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

I've been eating lots of fresh fruit lately and can't help but notice I don't have COVID

Same here. I thought it might be the vaccine, but it could also be the fresh plums and apricots cleaning out my digestive tract and keeping people from wanting to be anywhere near me due to the ongoing flatulence. 

The way I figure it, if they can smell it, they ain't got Covid... so I'm doing a public service of sorts.

Edited by NWBuck
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Ellen troxclair.jpg

lifeless-eyes-black-eyes.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

j&j 2 dose regime better than 1 dose (i am jack's complete lack of surprise):

At the same time as it was organizing its first study, ENSEMBLE 1, Johnson & Johnson also planned a second 30,000-patient study, ENSEMBLE 2, in which volunteers would receive two doses 56 days apart. Part of the reason for the long interval is that there was some data indicating that J&J’s vaccine platform, which uses a modified virus called adenovirus, does not work as well when doses are given too close together.

In this study, there were 14 cases of moderate-to-severe Covid in the vaccine arm compared to 52 in the placebo arm (that works out to 75% efficacy) and zero cases of severe or critical Covid in the vaccine arm compared to eight in the placebo arm. In the U.S., there was one case of moderate-to-severe Covid in the vaccine arm and 14 in the placebo arm.

J&J also released further results from the ENSEMBLE 1 study of the one-dose vaccine. There were 433 cases of moderate-to-severe Covid in the vaccine arm, compared to 883 in the placebo arm — an efficacy of 53%. The efficacy against hospitalizations remained high, at 76%. (There were 16 cases in the vaccine arm and 64 in the placebo arm.)

https://www.statnews.com/2021/09/21/johnson-johnson-says-additional-dose-boosts-covid-vaccine-efficacy/

also potential for a 3rd dose booster 6 months down the line (or maybe the second dose should be 6 months down the line, article ain't real clear)

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I thought Germans liked rules. I thought that was like their whole raison d'etre, I mean, Daseinsberechtigung.*

*I shouted that word.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Those people should be booted from the hospital. No drama around it, no discussion. 

7 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Plus they get their dumbass prayers answered by an indifferent god.  Win/win.

Let them stay. Then, as they are in the final depths of their delirium, have a staffer dress up as Allah and visit them. 

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Actually last I heard, Fox Troxy isn't happy with the first draft of the State Senate map because she's not drawn into a GOP district.

You get good intel.  They just finished a big renovation of their home so they ain't moving.  Of course, I think in the election most immediately following a re-draw, there's some leeway given.  

36 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

Same here. I thought it might be the vaccine, but it could also be the fresh plums and apricots cleaning out my digestive tract and keeping people from wanting to be anywhere near me due to the ongoing flatulence. 

I'm here to tell you, plums & apricots make a wonderful pizza when combined with fontina cheese and ivermectin sauce.

• Haha 1

If Alabamians are looking for a reason to never vote Republican again, here:

For the first time in its recorded history, the state of Alabama recorded more deaths than births in 2020.

State Health Officer Dr. Scott Harris said 64,714 people died in the Heart of Dixie last year, where only 57,641 were born, Alabama station WSFA reported. The state’s population is around 5 million people.

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You get good intel.  They just finished a big renovation of their home so they ain't moving.  Of course, I think in the election most immediately following a re-draw, there's some leeway given.  

It's also a first draft map, so I expect a teeny tiny change to put her in the district she wants. 

3 minutes ago, Satchel said:

For the first time in its recorded history, the state of Alabama recorded more deaths than births in 2020.

State Health Officer Dr. Scott Harris said 64,714 people died in the Heart of Dixie last year, where only 57,641 were born, Alabama station WSFA reported. The state’s population is around 5 million people.

I am doing a post-Doc in Alabama Psychology. You don't need any of those "fact" thingies. Just do this:

Have Joe Biden use the Federal Government to persuade even more Alabamians to vote Republican. Maybe tell them they have to, and make fun of them if they don't. Do that, and, I'm not sure what people would vote for, but it damn sure wouldn't be R.

Also, don't send somebody like AOC or Omar to carry the message. There is a risk that they could flip into the Adorable Finite-Number of My Ethnic Friends zone. Send John Kerry's Lurch ass to condescend and maybe mix in a little French.

29 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Only 13k died from covid and it looks like maybe a third of those are 2020.  Went from probably 60k deaths to 64k or something.  I label this a “potentially misleading”

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Ellen troxclair.jpg

This is the Bell County Republican County Chair.   She's a full on GQP

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/unvaccinated-central-texas-bell-county/

Nancy-Boston-Republican-Party-Bell-County.jpg

10 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am really irritated with BLM in NYC at the moment.  Rather than talking about how Vaccine mandates can disenfranchise people of color and protesting on the UWS, use your outreach and get more people of color to get vaccinated.  

At this point, I do not care what race you are, if you have chosen to not be vaccinated, you should be shunned.  You are part of the problem.  Fuck you.

Wanna move to Texas and run for senator? You got the surly vote and you would wipe the floor with Cruz in debates. Help us, Penelope. You’re our only hope