CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

6 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

I don't visit my parents in Conroe, because the lake water seems to have rotted the brains of everyone in Montgomery County. I told them this would be the case a little over a year ago, when all their buddies were spouting off hateful shit on Facebook (which I don't have, but the especially heinous comments get relayed to me). They can drive to central Texas to see me, which they have done a couple of times. I certainly don't have the respect I once did for them, though.

You won't visit your parents because of random comments on a social media platform you don't us?

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, The Dog said:

He's not necessarily anti-vax as he is anti-superintendent. He's been on a jihad against Dr. Azaiez and has posted info about the dude's personal life. Jeremy is a real piece of shi...er work.

Follow up on this - Jeremy is now in jail.

One of his sycophants is now asking for a "call to action" to protest his arrest. 

So much for "backing the blue"...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am so glad I got out of Texas in 2019.  Seriously, you guys need to think about leaving.  Leave it to the stupids.  

We’ve cornered the market on stupid out here.  Not about COVID, but in many other areas.  But I ain’t leaving.  I just try to ignore the stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

September 10, 2021
Re: COVID Vaccine Mandates

Since March of 2020, we have seen much controversy over COVID, mandates, restrictions, lockdowns, vaccines, and a number of other things. We have watched as this topic has divided families, friends, and coworkers. We have seen an unprecedented amount of division, hate, and contention among Americans. With the rollout of the COVID vaccines, that division has become more and more widened, and the vitriol more intense between those who believe in the vaccines, those who don’t, and those who are undecided.

As law enforcement officers, our first duty and what we swear an oath to, is to support the Constitution of the United States, and the Constitution of the State of Arkansas. It is in that defense and the defense of individual liberty that the Cleburne County Sheriff’s Office has not, and will not mandate the COVID vaccine for any of our employees. Just like with the flu shot, their choice to get vaccinated or not is theirs and theirs alone, and we respect their decisions.

I am not pro-vaccine, and I am not anti-vaccine. I am pro-freedom, and I am for each person’s ability and responsibility to decide for themselves (in conjunction with their doctor) whether or not to get the vaccine.

I am appalled at some of the absolute dictator-like things we are seeing from the Federal Government, and several of the State Governments. It is absolute tyranny, and completely abhorrent. It flies in the face of everything our country has always stood for, and is only furthering the damage and division done to the people of this wonderful nation.

CS Lewis said this: “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

It's time for our politicians and other public servants to stand up and remember that their first responsibility is to protect people’s rights, not to run their lives.

Sheriff Chris Brown

May be an image of text

• Rage+1 1

Lanson Jones did not think that the coronavirus would come for him. An avid tennis player in Houston who had not caught so much as a cold during the pandemic, he had refused a vaccine because he worried that it would spoil his streak of good health.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/18/health/covid-antibody-regeneron.html

Within days of his [antibody] infusion, Mr. Jones, the patient in Houston, had left the bedroom where he had been quarantined and returned to his work as a landscape architect. But he was still weighing whether to be vaccinated.

His doctor was pushing for the shot, he said. But the monoclonal antibodies had worked so well that he was tempted to simply return for another infusion if he caught Covid-19 again.

“If I can go get an infusion and feel as good as I do right now, man, I’d rather not take a vaccine that has just been developed,” he said. “That makes me nervous, still.”

Lanson Jones of Houston, Texas, seems like he has a difficult time understanding things.

Edited by Bookman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, lmao said:

You won't visit your parents because of random comments on a social media platform you don't us?

This is a perfect encapsulation of the stupidity of your ilk. 

"Mmm, I'll take a selective reading of a post, pick the parts I want to be angry about, twist a few words, and voila! I can accuse someone of being dumb and morally inferior."  

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

I don't visit my parents because the people making those racist comments on a social media platform I don't use also make those comments in person and are a constant presence when I am there. And while they may contain themselves to some degree when my wife, who is not white, and I are around them, I know that my parents are not above those same thoughts. Did I spell it out well enough for you this time?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:
9 hours ago, lmao said:

I don't visit my parents because the people making those racist comments on a social media platform I don't use also make those comments in person and are a constant presence when I am there. And while they may contain themselves to some degree when my wife, who is not white, and I are around them, I know that my parents are not above those same thoughts. Did I spell it out well enough for you this time?

Yes. Didn't realize your parents were racist and keep racist company. I wouldn't visit them either if that was the case.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I will never ever understand how thousands of unnecessary deaths facilitated by poor state government leadership will go without any political consequences 

People aren't smart enough to connect the dots combined with an active disinformation campaign to convince them it's someone else's fault.

The conflict aversion is how these sorts of people have power. When you confront them, they crumble

This this this this this.

My life is literally adversarial conflict, every day. This is what I do, and I regularly have to deal with an adversary counsel or party who operates the way antivaxxers etc do. I learned long ago that the way to put a stop to a wave of outrageous, indefensible bullshit is just….stand up and call it out. Clearly and firmly. It really is that easy. They bristle at first, but because they have no real foundation upon which to stand, they eventually crumble.

Don’t treat them gingerly. Tell them clearly and firmly that they are idiots, and they should GTFO. This works on all manner of morons - antivaxxers, racists, etc.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

My life is literally adversarial conflict, every day. This is what I do, and I regularly have to deal with an adversary counsel or party who operates the way antivaxxers etc do. I learned long ago that the way to put a stop to a wave of outrageous, indefensible bullshit is just….stand up and call it out. Clearly and firmly. It really is that easy. They bristle at first, but because they have no real foundation upon which to stand, they eventually crumble.

Don’t treat them gingerly. Tell them clearly and firmly that they are idiots, and they should GTFO. This works on all manner of morons - antivaxxers, racists, etc.

You must practice a lot in Dallas. Those guys are the absolute worst. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

If only the Dems knew how to do this.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

So the Sarah Palin link points out what appears to be dramatically lower rates of infection and hospitalization in unvaccinated, previously-infected Israelis compared to vaccinated, never-infected Israelis.  If you follow an embedded link in that story you can go down a rabbit hole of other stories explaining the study in more detail.  It's a textbook example of using small numbers to reach striking conclusions.  The money shot:

“The differences are huge,” says Thålin, although she cautions that the numbers for infections and other events analyzed for the comparisons were “small.” For instance, the higher hospitalization rate in the 32,000-person analysis was based on just eight hospitalizations in a vaccinated group and one in a previously infected group. And the 13-fold increased risk of infection in the same analysis was based on just 238 infections in the vaccinated population, less than 1.5% of the more than 16,000 people, versus 19 reinfections among a similar number of people who once had SARS-CoV-2.

"ZOINKS!  Vaccinated people are 8X more likely to be hospitalized than those with natural immunity!"  (Yes, 8/1 = 8X, but it's still only 9 people out of a 32,000 person pool.)

More info here:

Israeli study

How did MADD change the deeply personal decision of whether or not to drive drunk into a social and legal responsibility? Can drunk drivers apply for religious exemptions? If I want to plow through a minivan at a stoplight, isn’t that my right to do so? Our bodies, my choice.

• Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So the Sarah Palin link points out what appears to be dramatically lower rates of infection and hospitalization in unvaccinated, previously-infected Israelis compared to vaccinated, never-infected Israelis.  If you follow an embedded link in that story you can go down a rabbit hole of other stories explaining the study in more detail.  It's a textbook example of using small numbers to reach striking conclusions.  The money shot:

"ZOINKS!  Vaccinated people are 8X more likely to be hospitalized than those with natural immunity!"  (Yes, 8/1 = 8X, but it's still only 9 people out of a 32,000 person pool.)

More info here:

Israeli study

This is exactly the problem I have w the US studies saying you have roughly twice the likelihood of repeat infection vs breakthrough infection. The study doesn’t say how many in each cohort

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Why isn’t this 100%?  Don’t they still give orders in the armed forces?

Because we haven’t hit the deadlines yet and aren’t particular close yet. Army 12/15. USAF 11/2. Navy and USMC 11/28

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Because we haven’t hit the deadlines yet and aren’t particular close yet. Army 12/15. USAF 11/2. Navy and USMC 11/28

I wonder if they are intentionally staggering the rollout.  Vaccinating every soldier at, say, Fort Hood in one fell swoop could cause logistics issues if a significant fraction gets sidelined by side effects.

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I will never ever understand how thousands of unnecessary deaths facilitated by poor state government leadership will go without any political consequences 

We have a government of the shitty people, by the shitty people and for the shitty people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Well they won’t have nearly as many people voting for them next go round

5 hours ago, hookem2010 said:
15 hours ago, lmao said:

Same here. When my own father called me a traitor to my people, that was it. 

Been a year and I've never been happier now that all that toxic evil shit is out of my life.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Same here. When my own father called me a traitor to my people, that was it. 

Been a year and I've never been happier now that all that toxic evil shit is out of my life.

Me too, I was called a 'pussy" because I was for protecting my family.

I have not spoken to my little brother {nouveau riche divorced angryman} for 16 months. 

And I'm cool with it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

So I went off on the troll who shows up at our local brewery and likes to do nothing more than butt into conversations with openers like "man, that Fauci dude doesn't know shit from shinola" or "vaccines are killing more people than kung-flu." My friends were a bit shocked when I told him to take his bullshit elsewhere, we were enjoying our beers. One pulled me aside and said that I'd been a little harsh on the guy, but my response was after almost 2 years of this I'm tired of playing nice and being tactful and diplomatic around a bunch of anti-vax fuck nuts who are actively working to prolong this pandemic. Fuck 'em. Their idiocy is directly degrading the quality of life for hundreds of millions of Americans. Somehow the fear of being impolite or rude in their presence seems pretty fucking trivial.

CampbellvsSMUjpg.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

So I went off on the troll who shows up at our local brewery and likes to do nothing more than butt into conversations with openers like "man, that Fauci dude doesn't know shit from shinola" or "vaccines are killing more people than kung-flu." My friends were a bit shocked when I told him to take his bullshit elsewhere, we were enjoying our beers. One pulled me aside and said that I'd been a little harsh on the guy, but my response was after almost 2 years of this I'm tired of playing nice and being tactful and diplomatic around a bunch of anti-vax fuck nuts who are actively working to prolong this pandemic. Fuck 'em. Their idiocy is directly degrading the quality of life for hundreds of millions of Americans. Somehow the fear of being impolite or rude in their presence seems pretty fucking trivial.

You just flashed me back to my Saturday nights in College Station.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Given that some vaccine reluctance related to testing the vaccines on fetal cells, it is rather interesting that the same objection is not raised with respect to Regeneron as its manufacturer also tested the antibody treatment potency on similar cells.

They’re hypocrites.  Water is wet.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3