CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

10 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

If you say you're from Austin, I've found that people give you the benefit of the doubt. They'll tell you how great Austin is and then you can complain together about the rest of the state.

Yeah if you say Austin/Houston/Dallas/San Antonio, people tend to understand.  

10 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Unfortunately many of the ones coming will not help the branding problem Texas finds itself in. 

There are unassigned cattle?  Like mustangs, right?

tumblr_lum9f4DUui1qzz46zo1_500.gif

Edited by slorch

2 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Worse - trumpers from blue states.

They will bitch about the infrastructure relentlessly and then claim it is communism to pay for it.

Insufferable twats. 

Sure.  They're flocking to the cities and urban areas.

VastNastyAkitainu-max-1mb.gif

25 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

That’s either a venous blood gas which is still bad or that was drawn off a dead person.

Here is another.

Lab guy here. 15 years of doing and running ABGs. Before Covid, it was always newsworthy when we had a pH of 6.9, like "wow bring the students over here to check this out!"

I had only seen like two of <6.8, and I don't remember any good outcomes for those. One had was pulled from a lake two minutes away, no ROSC during CPR, drew the gas using the compressions, the whole deal, they called it when the ABG also came back with a 10.2 K, and I spun it down just to make sure it wasn't hemolyzed (since that was faster than the gel tube still).

I only say this story because that situation left such an impression on me that I remember it ten years later. And that's getting turned on it's head. I've reviewed almost a dozen ABGs so far since August that floated between 6.5-6.6- I literally did not believe my own instruments, and the pH is one of the most simple, basic (har) tests to perform and verify, I can think of like 3 rolls of litmus paper within sneezing distance- it's not a value that can really be screwed up. All these patients were covid. I don't even remember the previous 3 waves having these kinds of acidosis, and we've been too slammed to audit the year to see if I was just getting lucky last fall.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

If you say you're from Austin, I've found that people give you the benefit of the doubt. They'll tell you how great Austin is and then you can complain together about the rest of the state.

This is my approach. I tell them Austin is the blueberry in the shitty tomato soup that is Texas. They usually nod in agreement.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

...~120k troops

Remember the uproar about Jade Helm military exercises in Texas?  Yea that was funny as shit watching asshat "patriots" complain about US military convoys driving around Texas all the while forgetting that we have the largest US military base smack dab in the middle of the state.

Like then, these same asshats are just looking for another reason to show their stupidity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am so glad I got out of Texas in 2019.  Seriously, you guys need to think about leaving.  Leave it to the stupids.  

Lol, a recruiting firm for a place out of state called my spouse and he has an interview next week. I think some companies are going to poach from Texas because they sense conditions are favorable to do so. He's going to see how it goes, and I'm good either way.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Texas tough = this antivax snowflake collapsing like a Euro soccer player in the second clip:

what a drqma queen . . . 

I was waiting for the part then they put him on the ground and then kneeled on his neck.  I haz disappoint.

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Texas tough = this antivax snowflake collapsing like a Euro soccer player in the second clip:

what a drqma queen . . . 

He's not necessarily anti-vax as he is anti-superintendent. He's been on a jihad against Dr. Azaiez and has posted info about the dude's personal life. Jeremy is a real piece of shi...er work.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

oh shit, is it that simple? why didn't I think of that?!

but seriously, not everyone can just up and leave. and then there's those of us trying to make life the best we can here and continue to vote that way. you know, that whole not give up thing

I did not just up and leave.  I got a MUCH better job in NYC.  My life here is much better than it was in Houston.  

If you are a woman, Texas has declared you a second class citizen.  Why should they stay?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 2

I certainly don't begrudge anyone leaving and I'm not optimistic about our chances of successfully wrenching power from the lunatics in Texas, but it does seem unfair to the millions of decent people who don't have the resources to leave (or can't leave for other reasons) if those of us who could try to help fight the GOP up and leave. 

Plus if I left I'd have to sit for another bar exam. Fuck that. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I certainly don't begrudge anyone leaving and I'm not optimistic about our chances of successfully wrenching power from the lunatics in Texas, but it does seem unfair to the millions of decent people who don't have the resources to leave (or can't leave for other reasons) if those of us who could try to help fight the GOP up and leave. 

Yeah, I am not a lawyer.  Makes my life a lot easier.  I also negotiated a full relocation.  

I have not seen my parents in over 2 years, and I will not see them until they come visit me.  I refuse to step foot in Texas since they have basically said that I am not worthy enough to make decisions about my own fucking body. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

5 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, I am not a lawyer.  Makes my life a lot easier.  I also negotiated a full relocation.  

I have not seen my parents in over 2 years, and I will not see them until they come visit me.  I refuse to step foot in Texas since they have basically said that I am not worthy enough to make decisions about my own fucking body. 

kinda weird to punish your parents for a law they probably don't support, but you do you I guess

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yea, exactly.  Fuck all of that shit.  If I leave then in some messed up way these asshats win and I can't abide that.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

No offense, but that seems like a really stupid reason not to go and see your parents. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

I see both sides of it (oh god, that made me throw up in my mouth saying that).

I left for greener pastures (new job, more money, blue state) but I definitely felt like I abandoned Texas to the crazy fucks and can't fight them or cancel out their votes from elsewhere.  But I'm headed back due to family stuff - Colorado isn't going to miss my blue vote, but Texas will welcome it.

Hey, at least I made sure Cory Gardner ended up unemployed. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Remember the uproar about Jade Helm military exercises in Texas?  Yea that was funny as shit watching asshat "patriots" complain about US military convoys driving around Texas all the while forgetting that we have the largest US military base smack dab in the middle of the state.

Like then, these same asshats are just looking for another reason to show their stupidity. 

The best part of all of that from my industry's perspective were the missile silo rumors at the WalMarts that shut down. as in, underneath the WalMart stores...

Edited by slorch