Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Interesting, if perhaps obvious, note about accountability from Super K at The Football Braniacs:

So What Happens if Texas Doesn’t Win? | Sourced Note

Hide contents

I recently spoke to someone with knowledge of how Texas athletic director, Chris Del Conte operates. As you all know, Del Conte was previously the athletic director at TCU. He oversaw a lot of football success there with coach Gary Patterson steering the ship.

You will recall, though, that Patterson’s transition into the Big 12 wasn’t easy. And apparently, even with a coach with Gary Patterson’s record leading the team, Del Conte wasn’t going to sit by and see how things played out.

The three seasons prior to entering the Big 12 Patterson went 12-1, 13-0 (BCS Rose Bowl winners) and 11-2.

They went a decent 7-6 their first season in the Big 12. Herman just did the same in his first year in the Big 12.

But the next year they went 4-8 and Del Conte wasted no time in ensuring changes were made. TCU’s OC was let go and Sonny Cumbie & Dough Meacham were brought in to fix the TCU offense. And, they fixed it…fast.

TCU went 12-1 the next year with a dominating win in the Peach Bowl.

My source didn’t comment on what degree Del Conte had to push coach Patterson to make those changes but I certainly got the impression that no amount of reluctance was going to matter. Del Conte was going to insist upon those changes.

He also said in no uncertain terms that based on his knowledge of how Del Conte operates, if Texas doesn’t win this year, there will absolutely be changes made…willingly or otherwise.

while I don't see us at 4-8... I do believe CDC will make changes will happen if another year of stagnate offense and dumb play calling ensues. 

Edited by UTEX_ME

21 hours ago, Machinator said:

Interesting, if perhaps obvious, note about accountability from Super K at The Football Braniacs:

So What Happens if Texas Doesn’t Win? | Sourced Note

Hide contents

I recently spoke to someone with knowledge of how Texas athletic director, Chris Del Conte operates. As you all know, Del Conte was previously the athletic director at TCU. He oversaw a lot of football success there with coach Gary Patterson steering the ship.

You will recall, though, that Patterson’s transition into the Big 12 wasn’t easy. And apparently, even with a coach with Gary Patterson’s record leading the team, Del Conte wasn’t going to sit by and see how things played out.

The three seasons prior to entering the Big 12 Patterson went 12-1, 13-0 (BCS Rose Bowl winners) and 11-2.

They went a decent 7-6 their first season in the Big 12. Herman just did the same in his first year in the Big 12.

But the next year they went 4-8 and Del Conte wasted no time in ensuring changes were made. TCU’s OC was let go and Sonny Cumbie & Dough Meacham were brought in to fix the TCU offense. And, they fixed it…fast.

TCU went 12-1 the next year with a dominating win in the Peach Bowl.

My source didn’t comment on what degree Del Conte had to push coach Patterson to make those changes but I certainly got the impression that no amount of reluctance was going to matter. Del Conte was going to insist upon those changes.

He also said in no uncertain terms that based on his knowledge of how Del Conte operates, if Texas doesn’t win this year, there will absolutely be changes made…willingly or otherwise.

Interesting. Del Conte steps up to provide the coach whatever he needs to win. He opens the purse. In return, you must win or he will offer stern advice that damn well better be heeded. 

He doesn't meddle, but he is watching. Sounds smart and balanced.

19 hours ago, TornACL said:

I feel sorry for the people who don't have friends and who have to get food at DKR-TMS instead of gorging yourself at a tailgate party like a normal person.

That reminds me. We need to bring back the check pass. Or was it the gate pass? Whatever, we should be able to leave the stadium and come back. 

Edited by David Dennison

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

an AD that has conversations with actual fans and addresses their concerns? 

wtf is that?

I know he's done it many times but these were from students. But that makes it even better as he's trying to do anything he can to bolster student attendance, which is good for multiple reasons. Namely hot coeds. 

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That reminds me. We need to bring back the check pass. Or was it the gate pass? Whatever, we should be able to leave the stadium and come back. 

But then you are not in my stadium spending money on bad food and hot beer.

- Steve Patterson

I believe we can’t due to the fact that we sell alcohol in the stadium now (TABC)

28 minutes ago, woohorn said:
11 hours ago, Kevin O’Shea said:
Should we worry at some point that our AD spends a lot of time responding to twitter questions from dumbasses? 

Yes. How does he get any fuckin' work done?

A good question to ask about many prolific Surly Horns.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Roofle said:

I believe we can’t due to the fact that we sell alcohol in the stadium now (TABC)

They allow us to pass in and out at UT baseball games at Disch-Falk, where beer is now sold.  So I don't think it's a TABC thing, just seems to be a UT athletic department thing.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 11:16 AM, elfenix said:

an AD that has conversations with actual fans and addresses their concerns? 

wtf is that?

My sarcasm meter may be off, but I call that leadership.  He's a handler, problem solver, get it done type guy who will lead people at all levels, not just the BMDs.

Just now, jdhorn92 said:

My sarcasm meter may be off, but I call that leadership.  He's a handler, problem solver, get it done type guy who will lead people at all levels, not just the BMDs.

might want to look into the 2019 model, on sale at fry's right now.

22 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is a good and interesting read on the recent hire Drew Martin. 

http://collegead.com/drew-martin-fan-engagement/

19 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

All I got from this is that activation is the new buzzword for engagement. 

Then you missed some stuff.

Drew Martin: I think a lot of it really boils down to giving fans permission to have fun.

Giving fans permission to really get into the games, have a good time. We really want to dial back a lot of the over-the-top corporate sponsorship aspects of it. You score a touchdown and we go to a commercial and the next thing you know, a bank president is on the field with the athletics director getting a game ball, and the fans sit down.

So what we’re really telling them is, hey, take a breath, take a pause, when we should be telling them let’s celebrate this touchdown. Let’s keep this momentum going. Let’s have some fun with the band. Let’s have some fun with the video boards, and let’s do some things that are engaging to really keep you invested and keep you having fun.

There are certainly areas, you know, we would be remiss to not find areas to activate with our sponsors. They’re paying quite a bit of money to be a part of the University of Texas brand. But I think there are different ways that you can do that and still keep that fan engaged, ways that are more entertaining than on-field presentation after on-field presentation, weather report after weather report. Those kinds of things really turn the fans off.

Scott Fisher is sad.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

He’s being polite, but apparently “any place any time anywhere” doesn’t mean exactly that. He implied that they didn’t even make an effort to free their schedule to play us. 

I also have to think he’s being coy with the talk about no major upgrade to the football stadium in a long time, in order to sell the other end zone project.  Also kept saying “if” that happens. Making sure nobody can use his words to get tight with their wallets. 

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, Machinator said:

Perhaps a bit to early to tell, but this guy seems like he's awesome.

Hate the long delay in hearing the Craig Way call of the game.  Always a full play behind.  Now if he can just get some shade to the west side upper deck, I'll be sitting pretty.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 11:31 AM, Kevin O’Shea said:

Should we worry at some point that our AD spends a lot of time responding to twitter questions from dumbasses? 

Chris Del Conte: It’s important for me. I say all the time — I report to the UT President [Greg Fenves], but I work for everybody. And sometimes it’s hard to reach everybody all the time. So on social media, whether it be Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, if someone asks me a question and we are asking that same person to use their discretionary income to support our program, they deserve a response from me specifically. I just feel that way.

from the BON article linked a few posts up

On 7/27/2018 at 12:19 PM, closetojumping said:

I'm absolutely fucking shocked that you feel entitled to free shit at taxpayer expense.

Taxpayer expense? You might want to look at the university budget. 

Also, why wouldn't a state institution use taxpayer funds to provide services for its citizens? That's kind of what taxes are for. I certainly wouldn't mind my taxes going toward free wifi at UT, or any other public university in the state for that matter.

Edited by David Dennison

Chatted w/ a local Austin beer rep at my pub last night. Said UT held a meeting w/ the different food & bev distributors earlier in the week. CDC was there. He told me he'd never been more impressed by a high level exec before. His presentation was spot on about their mission to give event attendees the best of everything, & if there's something in the way of them delivering on that promise then he wants to know & they will damn sure fix it. After the presentation it was open for Q&A from the floor. CDC wouldn't leave until every question was answered. He said if there was a hand in the room he didn't shake or an introduction he didn't make then he didn't see it. He connected with everyone.

Now this rep works for one of the biggest in Austin. I'm sure anyone with half a brain can connect the dots. But he's been doing this for 25+ years & has heard pitches from everyone about everything throughout most of the state. Said he went in expecting to half sleep through another dog & pony, but came out invigorated & motivated. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Chatted w/ a local Austin beer rep at my pub last night. Said UT held a meeting w/ the different food & bev distributors earlier in the week. CDC was there. He told me he'd never been more impressed by a high level exec before. His presentation was spot on about their mission to give event attendees the best of everything, & if there's something in the way of them delivering on that promise then he wants to know & they will damn sure fix it. After the presentation it was open for Q&A from the floor. CDC wouldn't leave until every question was answered. He said if there was a hand in the room he didn't shake or an introduction he didn't make then he didn't see it. He connected with everyone.

Now this rep works for one of the biggest in Austin. I'm sure anyone with half a brain can connect the dots. But he's been doing this for 25+ years & has heard pitches from everyone about everything throughout most of the state. Said he went in expecting to half sleep through another dog & pony, but came out invigorated & motivated. 

I get the gist of this, but why was a buyer making a pitch to sellers?