Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

I still trip out at how fucked up Herman had things and I am extremely grateful to have an AD like this. All this bitching about coaches and losses. I came to be a Longhorn in the early 80s, we lost all the time, in most sports, especially football. I watch gomer beat us 5 years in a row, then we win and lose another 4. We would win a conference championship and shit in the bowl game, fire the coach after the next season. That was the norm of the 80s and 90s. 

All of this is wild to me, I could not believe the VY and Colt years, it didn't seem real. And I find myself now accepting that we some bad motherfuckers now. 

We have the best of the best running the show. Good interview, thanks for sharing. 

• Hook 'Em 5

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

1 - Wow.

2 - Who has tickets in multiple Tiers for the same sport?

I do, for baseball, because I couldn't get 4 together in the "tier" I wanted. So I have 2 in one tier, 2 in the other, and then just plan to sit in empty seats for 90% of the games. 

31 minutes ago, hornian said:

I do, for baseball, because I couldn't get 4 together in the "tier" I wanted. So I have 2 in one tier, 2 in the other, and then just plan to sit in empty seats for 90% of the games. 

Ok, gotcha. 

The letter is still confusing. It sounds like it's addressed to someone with tickets in all four Tiers.

51 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Ok, gotcha. 

The letter is still confusing. It sounds like it's addressed to someone with tickets in all four Tiers.

That's the way I see too.  Tier 3 and 4 I don't think have much seat donation attached so they took them away altogether, and said they can keep Tier 1 and 2 as long as they pay full donation price.  Which implies they are grandfathered in and have had the seats for a decent number of years, but mostly sell them.

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Ok, gotcha. 

31 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

That's the way I see too.  Tier 3 and 4 I don't think have much seat donation attached so they took them away altogether, and said they can keep Tier 1 and 2 as long as they pay full donation price.  Which implies they are grandfathered in and have had the seats for a decent number of years, but mostly sell them.

Apparently,  there are many people in this category (likely including ticket brokers) which warranted this policy.   Not just a few which would have been addressed individually.

43 minutes ago, torre said:

Apparently,  there are many people in this category (likely including ticket brokers) which warranted this policy.   Not just a few which would have been addressed individually.

This makes sense, but begs the question: Who but a reseller would buy season tickets in all four Tiers?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

A selection of the Q and A from tonight’s town hall

Stupid question time, who the fuck "owns" Gregory that would make it at all difficult for our athletic teams to play there? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Blotto said:

Stupid question time, who the fuck "owns" Gregory that would make it at all difficult for our athletic teams to play there? 

I don’t think he said or implied it’s difficult to play there; however, they can’t do what they want to certain spaces because they don’t own it. 

6 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
8 hours ago, Blotto said:

Rec Sports owns Gregory.

Isn’t this just kind of dumb?

Why doesn’t UT athletics ‘buy’  the arena portion of Gregory so they can add concessions, etc.? Is this because Volleyball wants an adjacent training facility as well and Gregory is hemmed in?

Do we really need a whole new 5k seat stadium on campus? Also, WtF are they then going to us Gregory for?

This all seems like a stupid pissing match within the administration 

• Hook 'Em 2

If any program deserved a nice shiny new arena, it's the volleyball team. 

Gregory is old and aging and limited in capacity.  The volleyball team cannot make changes at will - everything from the type of flooring to locker rooms have to go through Rec Sports. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Gregory is old and aging and limited in capacity.  The volleyball team cannot make changes at will - everything from the type of flooring to locker rooms have to go through Rec Sports. 

I agree but why can they not just play at Moody ?

Just now, Steamboat1874 said:

I agree but why can they not just play at Moody ?

I assume they want to recreate the atmosphere of Gregory, with some expansion due to demand of the program.  Gregory is about 4k right now, so you can up that by a couple thousand.  Moody is too big for volleyball. We're not Nebraska.  I don't know if we'd consistently sell out 10k.

35 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Do we really need a whole new 5k seat stadium on campus? Also, WtF are they then going to us Gregory for?

This is one of those things where i just have to ask why do you care? Who cares if we build a new arena. We have the money, and it doesn’t even seem like they would go that route. They’d finance it like they did with Moody. But my point still stands—why do you care if we build it? This is me when typing this reply:

the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Depending on where they put it, they can also build their sand courts adjacent to double up the function of the training/locker room areas 

We do have a shiny new beach team that needs a dedicated place to play 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

I bet because UT doesn’t control moody and oak view group would probably rather have big money events there than volleyball.

Also will run into scheduling conflicts in November between MBB, WBB and volleyball all in the same building. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

This is one of those things where i just have to ask why do you care? Who cares if we build a new arena. We have the money, and it doesn’t even seem like they would go that route. They’d finance it like they did with Moody. But my point still stands—why do you care if we build it? This is me when typing this reply:

the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF

You have a point.

I still wonder where it would go.

whatever they do build though is going to be pretty bad ass I’m sure.

25 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

You have a point.

I still wonder where it would go.

whatever they do build though is going to be pretty bad ass I’m sure.

The old bubble site once the new indoor practice facility is done? 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The old bubble site once the new indoor practice facility is done? 

Move UTPD over there. Build a new Latin/Diversity building around the Thompson Conference Center. Use all that space and that southernmost lot to build a women's sports complex.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

An insane gym that is also a practice facility and hangout for the volleyball players would be the best.

10 minutes ago, Teebox said:

McCombs is old? 

Well it opened in 1998, so it's not ancient, but in context:

• OU is opening a brand new stadium
  • aggy opened a new one in 2018
  • Missouri opened a brand new one in 2017
  • Florida went through major renovations in 2019
  • Alabama went through some major renovations in 2009 and 2010
  • Tenn opened their new one in 2008
  • LSU opened their new one in 2009

If not a new one, due to space, it needs a major demo and renovation to the seating style. 

2 hours ago, Teebox said:

McCombs is old? 

Yes

Compared to the top programs (especially who will will be recruiting against in the SEC), McCombs looks like a little league softball park you’d find at a 2A high school. 

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

We need a new softball stadium. McCombs is old and our new SEC brethren are lapping us on the softball stadium race. OU too. 

I was wondering if anything was said about the softball complex.   Compared  to what OU Sux is about to open and a few other venues around the softball universe, we have some catching up to do.    

IMG_0959.jpeg

Edited by Nueces River Rat

10 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Move UTPD over there. Build a new Latin/Diversity building around the Thompson Conference Center. Use all that space and that southernmost lot to build a women's sports complex.

I’m not familiar with the current location of the Latin/Diversity building, but I’d go bold and demolish Sid Richardson Hall and UTPD. Like you said, UTPD can be moved to what’s left of the Indoor Practice Facility land (after TxDOT takes their bite of it). This leaves plenty of land to rebuild a taller version of SRH, a new volleyball arena, and probably something else. That whole area always seemed to be inefficient use of space, and UT has all the money in the world. Besides, who needs parking?

HaHaHaHa 😂😂😂😂

PowerPoint slide shows Texas, Texas A&M rivalry pettiness is back

November 30 can't get here soon enough.

image.png.8aefed82e0c0879832fa569fecb564b4.png

Texas held a town hall meeting on Tuesday, in which AD Chris Del Conte offered Longhorn Nation updates across a number of initiatives across the athletics department

As part of his presentation, Del Conte included a map of the new SEC. Texas will be the SEC fourth multi-school state. For simplicity and diplomatic purposes, the map split Alabama, Tennessee and Mississippi evenly down the middle, giving equal space to Bama and Auburn, Tennessee and Vandy, and Ole Miss and State. 

But as one's eye moves to the Southwest corner of the map, one can't help but notice that UT divvied up its own state differently. 

Bear in mind, this was effectively a private meeting, where Texas was speaking exclusively to its own supporters and donors. If Texas wanted to take a public shot at Texas A&M, there are much louder ways to do so.

https://footballscoop.com/news/powerpoint-slide-shows-texas-texas-a-m-rivalry-pettiness-is-back

• Hook 'Em 4

15 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

As someone who was an undergrad while Gregory was totally renovated and came out seeming sparkly and new, I scoffed when I read this, as obviously it isn’t that old.

Then after a moment of thought:

Bored Will And Grace GIF by Cameo

Scrolled past a similar reminder on IG today. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d2ce6b4ec6c6df0741a1ee59303e257f.jpeg

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2YZTL9vzCM/?igsh=MTAzeWkzN2QwajQxMw==

• Rage+1 1

From 247's The Insider (FCB):

SEC football scheduling, Texas Volleyball venue, "Mini-Moody," adding Women's Gymnastics:

Spoiler

Following up on CDC's town hall meeting

— Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte said the SEC is likely to have an eight-game conference schedule in both 2024 and 2025 before looking to go to a nine-game conference schedule in 2026.

“We have eight games scheduled right now,” Del Conte said. “We're working on going to a nine-game schedule, but we have a ways to go on that. So, I would say this year we have an eight-game schedule. The following year, we have another eight-game schedule. Then, we'll look at going into a nine-game conference schedule [in 2026].”

At the SEC meetings in Destin last May, the league voted to have an eight-game conference schedule in 2024 before taking up the matter again at this year’s SEC meetings in May.

— Del Conte brought up the possibility of building a “mini-Moody” for volleyball during his Town Hall meeting Tuesday night.

“There are so many things we could do better in terms of game-day, LED lighting, concessions and everything else,” Del Conte said Tuesday night. “So we're looking with partners right now at doing a 5,000-to-6,000-seat arena that we can address volleyball’s needs. The Moody Center has been a huge hit for us, and we’re looking to see if we could replicate that in a smaller fashion.”

After talking to sources Wednesday, I’m told the idea of a “mini-Moody” is just that — an idea — in the neo-natal stage. There’s talk about rough estimates in terms of costs, but there’s been no site location exploration at this point and certainly no fundraising.

It’s something being “looked at, talked about” as of now, said one source, adding that nothing is likely to happen until after the new football practice facility is completed in the spring of 2025.

— I’m hearing some buzz about Texas adding gymnastics as a women’s sport as the Longhorns prepare to move into the SEC, a league that’s highly competitive in women’s gymnastics. If that ends up having traction, gymnastics and volleyball could both make use of a mini-Moody Center.

Del Conte mentioned the idea of a “mini-Moody” when he was asked if he could do LED lighting in Gregory Gym to improve the game day atmosphere for volleyball. Del Conte said he has no authority to make changes at Gregory Gym because it’s a full-time student recreation center operated by the central university that athletics rents for volleyball.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Like 1

Thursday: The Lieutenants

By Bobby Burton       11 hours ago

If you listened to the Town Hall meeting of Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte on Tuesday night, you realize just how many talented people work alongside Del Conte to make Texas athletics the best in the country.

I felt like it would be informative to give a little more background info on those folks and exactly what they do.

Drew Martin - If it has to do with marketing and game-day experience, Drew Martin is the person whose fingerprints are all over it. Martin also helps manage and oversee third party agreements with media behemoths like Learfield and William Morris Endeavor.

Chris Plonsky - Plonsky was once the women's athletic director, but when CDC was hired, Texas unified the athletic department into one outfit for both men and women. CDC, however, did not clip the wings of Plonsky in the process. Instead, she has continued to help build Texas women's athletics into the juggernaut it is and CDC gives her due credit in the process.

Andrew Hamor - One of the leads of the Longhorn Foundation, Hamor helps CDC find the funds for various athletic department projects. While CDC is the forward facing fundraiser for the athletic department, Hamor is someone almost every major Longhorn donor knows.

Ricky Brown - The former fullback for Ricky Williams is one of the heads of outreach from the athletic department to former players.

Shawn Eichorst - He's the deputy. Eichorst is CDC's right-hand man, the "glue" that keeps it all together. The former Nebraska AD is a voice of experience that CDC can count on.

Sarah Baumgardner - Baumgardner works directly with Texas coaches to fix issues that arise on a daily basis. She works hand-in-hand with CDC.

Fernando Lovo - All those pretty new facilities and their functionality? That's Lovo's job, to execute the vision, work with the general contractors, architects, and the university, to make sure it all comes out to plan.

Rob Novak - The CFO of Texas athletics. He makes sure the money is there, not just for next month, but for large projects well into the future.

While CDC is a gifted administrator and fundraiser, the success of Texas athletics is far from a one-man show, and that's something CDC would tell you himself, and why he mentioned the folks above during his speech on Tuesday night.

Hats off to all of those who help make Texas athletics the best program in the country.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Shawn Eichorst - He's the deputy. Eichorst is CDC's right-hand man, the "glue" that keeps it all together. The former Nebraska AD is a voice of experience that CDC can count on.

He’s the guy who fired Pelini for his 67-27 record?