Jump to content

Need a tent


Recommended Posts

Just keep in mind that a 4 person tent comfortably holds 2 adults.  Not to say you can't get 4 people in there, but it will be cozy.

If you're carrying it a long way when you actually camp it might be worth keeping it small, but other than that get a 6 or 8 person tent to have a little room to spread out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A cabin style tent with vertical or near vertical walls makes things much nicer for regular car camping. It's nice being able to stand up and walk around. We have a Coleman Weathermaster 6 with a screen porch that is nice for leaving shoes and stuff in in the event of inclement weather. That way you don't track so much dirt in. It also has doors with hinges like a regular door so you aren't fighting zippers when you get up to pee at night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Word of advice:. Most people that use a tent a couple times a year just throw the tent in the garage or attic, attic is worse.  The consistent high heat of an attic will ruin the nylon eventually.  Keep your tent inside in a closet or under the bed or something.  

 

Loosely packed in a plastic tub with vent holes in the side.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

^^^ That will be OK for nice weather, casual use.     In heavy rain, that style tends to get some water inside since the fly doesn't to all the way to the ground.   We had a bunch of cheap, house brand, 4 person tents from Academy of this style and they lasted about 3 years under monthly use.    They have all been replace by 2 person REI backpacking tents and work much better.

Also, ditch the cheap wire or plastic stakes that come with the tent and get some of the stakes that are big nails with a green plastic top.  You can beat them into hard ground with a hammer and they won't bend or break like the ones that typically come with the tent.  

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, davidg said:

^^^ That will be OK for nice weather, casual use.     In heavy rain, that style tends to get some water inside since the fly doesn't to all the way to the ground.   We had a bunch of cheap, house brand, 4 person tents from Academy of this style and they lasted about 3 years under monthly use.    They have all been replace by 2 person REI backpacking tents and work much better.

Also, ditch the cheap wire or plastic stakes that come with the tent and get some of the stakes that are big nails with a green plastic top.  You can beat them into hard ground with a hammer and they won't bend or break like the ones that typically come with the tent.  

 

 

MSR Groundhog stakes are awesome BTW.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Best quality value is this.  https://www.rei.com/product/880483/nemo-wagontop-4p-tent

Read more here but ignore the title as it is really an article questioning roof top tents practicality in terrains that don't require one.  https://www.outsideonline.com/2071176/we-designed-best-rooftop-tent-ever-sort

You can likely get away with the 4person since it has a vestibule to take wet and muddy stuff off outside the tent.  How much room in your vehicle do you have haul the tent?  People in CUVs, when buying, tend to not consider the space a tent takes while driving. Beginning campers don't usually think of ease to set up either.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OP,
I’ve never heard of a tent helping with the cold. However look for one that can minimize the wind coming through. For example, my Coleman Sun Dome is great for the heat because of massive vent on top and also the rain cover canopies far to let air through. However that sucks when it’s cold because the wind passes right through.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, William_Cannon said:

OP,
I’ve never heard of a tent helping with the cold. However look for one that can minimize the wind coming through. For example, my Coleman Sun Dome is great for the heat because of massive vent on top and also the rain cover canopies far to let air through. However that sucks when it’s cold because the wind passes right through.

Tents can add 5-7 degrees. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...
6 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Wink Wink Nudge Nudge GIF - Wink Wink Nudge Nudge Monty Python GIFs

I don't understand this. Probably my fault. 

Most tents, from what I've seen, comfortably accommodate half the number of people that the rating says. So, a 4-person tent can comfortably hold 2. So, based on that, and because we'll be storing our bikes in the tent, along with a little crafts table, an 8-person tent seems to fit the best, with an Exped Megamat Duo. 

Please tell me if I'm missing something. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Asithappens said:

I don't understand this. Probably my fault. 

Most tents, from what I've seen, comfortably accommodate half the number of people that the rating says. So, a 4-person tent can comfortably hold 2. So, based on that, and because we'll be storing our bikes in the tent, along with a little crafts table, an 8-person tent seems to fit the best, with an Exped Megamat Duo. 

Please tell me if I'm missing something. 

He wants to know if your wife likes photography. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/24/2022 at 1:09 PM, Asithappens said:

I don't understand this. Probably my fault. 

Most tents, from what I've seen, comfortably accommodate half the number of people that the rating says. So, a 4-person tent can comfortably hold 2. So, based on that, and because we'll be storing our bikes in the tent, along with a little crafts table, an 8-person tent seems to fit the best, with an Exped Megamat Duo. 

Please tell me if I'm missing something. 

I get the math, but how many people would a 1-person tent hold?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

I get the math, but how many people would a 1-person tent hold?

1 person uncomfortably. Just as a 2-person tent will hold 2 people uncomfortably, and so on.

The reason that it's so frustrating is because we (rightly I think), consider a tent a room, whereas the manufacturers have always sized them as if they were a just a bed. A 2-person tent, for instance, has just about the same square feet as a queen sized bed (35ish).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any experience on the North Face Wawona 8-person tent? 
Only about 2 people would be using it most of the time, maybe 4 for a few other times. 
Looks like REI has it.

Are you actually going to be backpacking or camping in crappy weather? If not, you may consider getting a big ass Coleman for 1/3 the cost.
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...