My families Great American Adventure

Wulaw Horn

47 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Without a doubt.  @Wulaw Horn it's like you bought a yacht to travel the Caribbean and now you're trying to do it in a canoe.  What's the point in keeping on?  Why not just postpone?  Head home for a couple months while the RV gets good as new, catch your breath financially and pick back up later on.  American adventures will still be there.  Covid will still be there.  The chance to homeschool will still be there.  No shame in that.  Are you just afraid you won't pick it back up where you left off or something?  I appreciated the stubbornness up to a certain point, but now I just don't get it.  Fleabag hotels and miserable travel arrangements sounds...well, miserable. 

I think he burned his house down before he left?  Maybe I have him confused with Cortés. 

Also, if Wulawhorn's mental response upon reading this is anything but similar to what follows, I will be disappointed.  All the best on your quest for fun/pilgrimage to see a moose.

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I think he burned his house down before he left?  Maybe I have him confused with Cortés. 

You sure you're not confusing him with the poster who shot his wife and himself because she got the sniffles and he was sure it was covid and she was a selfish bitch for catching it?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

You sure you're not confusing him with the poster who shot his wife and himself because she got the sniffles and he was sure it was covid and she was a selfish bitch for catching it?

No, I'm pretty sure it was Cortes. 

But when did that happen?

21 minutes ago, royiv said:

Dude is a masochist. There's no way I'd put myself through some sort of Grapes of Wrath tour of America much less three other humans and a dog. I don't know whether to admire the perseverance or feel sorry for all involved.

That Grapes of Wrath tour is a lifelong experience those kids will NEVER forget. Family legend were built on less. Trust me Wulaws great, great, great grandchildren will hear of and be forced against their will into taking the family roadtrip ritual. Griswalds? They were pussies.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Hahaha early in covid.  Instant classic.  Dude went off the rails.

Here it is, enjoy...

Oh, yeah, I remember something about that now.  I don't remember anyone's getting shot.  Off for a trip down I can't remember lane.

/back.  His last post was that day.  Did he really shoot her?  Yes, I feel dumb for asking.  Seems like I would have heard something about that in the past several months

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Hahaha early in covid.  Instant classic.  Dude went off the rails.

Here it is, enjoy...

I abandoned that thread literally months ago, and several like it.

Did that piece of shit ever show back up, or did anyone confirm he went apeshit and Chris Beniot'd his wife?

Thanks in advance to anyone who enlightens me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RPM said:

That Grapes of Wrath tour is a lifelong experience those kids will NEVER forget. Family legend were built on less. Trust me Wulaws great, great, great grandchildren will hear of and be forced against their will into taking the family roadtrip ritual. Griswalds? They were pussies.

The great grandkids will still be paying off Wulaw’s kids therapist bills. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I abandoned that thread literally months ago, and several like it.

Did that piece of shit ever show back up, or did anyone confirm he went apeshit and Chris Beniot'd his wife?

Thanks in advance to anyone who enlightens me. 

Oh shit, he was just posting about a new Bowflex he got in the workout thread. 

• Haha 1

I sort of see Wulaw sweated up after a day hike with the kids. Just a bit farther than anybody wanted to go..As Wulaw glances across the Green Book landscape he now resides in...

POOF....  I envision WuLaw as his younger Richard Gere self... crying, clawing and screaming... " I've got no place else to go!!!!!"

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Welp, I got some bad news today that is going to put a bullet in the head of this whole thing- repair bill came back at $37k and timeline to fix came back at 3 plus months. 
it looks like the insurance adjuster is probably going to total it and sell it for salvage. At a minimum it’s looking like after thanksgiving before it’s going to be ready to go. 
That’s it- we are throwing in the towel I think. 
which sucks because this thing, I repeat, was awesome when we were in the RV 

Best hope to keep the dream alive is that it gets fixed up, family wants to go out after Christmas, and I can get someone I work with (or maybe mom and dad) to house sit with us. 
unfortunately for me (fortunate for her- I’m very proud and we are helping her) my niece and her husband- who had been house sitting- are buying their first house. They were going to wait it out until we got home- whenever that is- so now whenever will be sooner rather than later. I think the dream is like 90% dead. 
I feel really really awful about hitting that fucking bridge in Springfield Massachusetts. 
I asked my wife if she’d do it all over again knowing how it turned out- she said yes- but head home immediately upon wrecking RV. 
I needed the 3 or so weeks to figure out for myself this thing wasn’t salvageable. 
when I get home I promise to do a final post with journal of miles travelled, states visited, money spent etc. 
My goodness I had the right execution- just fucked up implementation, because I’m an idiot. 
If you ever think of doing something like this I can’t recommend it enough. Provided your relationship with your wife is rock solid and you can stand to be in the same room as your kids, and you have the ability to roll with the punches. 
feel like shit. But I’m happy to get out of staying at shorty hotel rooms across the upper plains. RV is so much better than all that. 
thanks to all her gave advice, wished me well, of pointed and laughed. 
there are two kinds of stories in this world- aspirational stories and cautionary tales. I hope this served as one or the other to all of you, and y’all can figure out which it was supposed to be. 

For 37 K you can buy a used RV and do it all over again!

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, davidg said:

That sucks to hear.  If they total it out are you going to be under water on the deal?  If not, what’s keeping you from finding another RV and getting back out there, provided you can figure out the house thing?

No- I got gap insurance so not underwater. In some ways it’s the best possible scenario, as I bought it with no money down- at all. So- I made 3 payments of $750 a month, all while I owned it and then would be done. Cheapest rental ever. 
nothing. Other than the house things and starting all over. Maybe some day?  

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Welp, I got some bad news today that is going to put a bullet in the head of this whole thing- repair bill came back at $37k and timeline to fix came back at 3 plus months. 
it looks like the insurance adjuster is probably going to total it and sell it for salvage. At a minimum it’s looking like after thanksgiving before it’s going to be ready to go. 
That’s it- we are throwing in the towel I think. 
which sucks because this thing, I repeat, was awesome when we were in the RV 

Best hope to keep the dream alive is that it gets fixed up, family wants to go out after Christmas, and I can get someone I work with (or maybe mom and dad) to house sit with us. 
unfortunately for me (fortunate for her- I’m very proud and we are helping her) my niece and her husband- who had been house sitting- are buying their first house. They were going to wait it out until we got home- whenever that is- so now whenever will be sooner rather than later. I think the dream is like 90% dead. 
I feel really really awful about hitting that fucking bridge in Springfield Massachusetts. 
I asked my wife if she’d do it all over again knowing how it turned out- she said yes- but head home immediately upon wrecking RV. 
I needed the 3 or so weeks to figure out for myself this thing wasn’t salvageable. 
when I get home I promise to do a final post with journal of miles travelled, states visited, money spent etc. 
My goodness I had the right execution- just fucked up implementation, because I’m an idiot. 
If you ever think of doing something like this I can’t recommend it enough. Provided your relationship with your wife is rock solid and you can stand to be in the same room as your kids, and you have the ability to roll with the punches. 
feel like shit. But I’m happy to get out of staying at shorty hotel rooms across the upper plains. RV is so much better than all that. 
thanks to all her gave advice, wished me well, of pointed and laughed. 
there are two kinds of stories in this world- aspirational stories and cautionary tales. I hope this served as one or the other to all of you, and y’all can figure out which it was supposed to be. 

Shit man, that really sucks. You know I get a kick out of you regardless but this was a really cool thing you were doing with and for your family. I don’t over-romanticize the shit out of it like rpm or others but it was an awesome journey. I’m sorry for you that it’s ending with a fizzle and a bit of a bad taste but it was inevitable once your decapitated the rv. Pretty amazing you all hung in as long as you did.  This was a really nice thread to follow.  Safe travels home to you and your family and best of luck with all your transition. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If by aspirational, you mean huge balls, then yes.  Can't emphasize enough how cool it was of you to share your adventure, warts and all.  Maybe this was just a test run, and you can do it again with a yuge knowledge-base.

8 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No- I got gap insurance so not underwater. In some ways it’s the best possible scenario, as I bought it with no money down- at all. So- I made 3 payments of $750 a month, all while I owned it and then would be done. Cheapest rental ever. 
nothing. Other than the house things and starting all over. Maybe some day?  

Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet this morning, but please explain why you can't get another RV and pick up where you left off?  You're out nothing on the one you wrecked (well, other than the $2,250 which, I mean you have to pay to live somewhere so that really doesn't count).  Have you just thrown in the towel that the whole thing was a bad idea?  Doesn't sound like it.  Sounds like you thought it was great when you had the RV.  So get another one and keep on.  What am I missing here?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Shit.  Sure was fun while it lasted.  And you guys will remember it forever, particularly the kiddo who walked in on you and the wife, thus necessitating the sex tent.  Safe travels home.  And thanks for laying it all out there for our entertainment. 

Yeah, it sucks but you had an idea and you ran with it. That took massive balls and as someone who is very risk averse who would never put my ass out there to try something like this, I commend you greatly for doing it and letting us live vicariously through you.

More importantly, you gave your kids the experience of a lifetime. They'll always remember that one crazy summer Dad put them all in an RV and toured America. Truly, I tip my cap to you. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet this morning, but please explain why you can't get another RV and pick up where you left off?  You're out nothing on the one you wrecked (well, other than the $2,250 which, I mean you have to pay to live somewhere so that really doesn't count).  Have you just thrown in the towel that the whole thing was a bad idea?  Doesn't sound like it.  Sounds like you thought it was great when you had the RV.  So get another one and keep on.  What am I missing here?

There are very few people who we trust

to stay in our house and take care of property (6 acres- 3400 square foot house with pool) dogs, cats and livestock. The people we had doing it are now buying their own house. Money was more than we thought, and serious bills attached to the last month. Also- we got really lucky with what we bought with no money out of pocket. Not sure we could find such a great deal again in this market. We shall see. Maybe they don’t total it (I think they are leaning toward totaling). We will see. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There are very few people who we trust

to stay in our house and take care of property (6 acres- 3400 square foot house with pool) dogs, cats and livestock. The people we had doing it are now buying their own house. Money was more than we thought, and serious bills attached to the last month. Also- we got really lucky with what we bought with no money out of pocket. Not sure we could find such a great deal again in this market. We shall see. Maybe they don’t total it (I think they are leaning toward totaling). We will see. 

I would think if they total it, you’d be better off.  If that is the case, I’d think you could just head to the closest RV dealer to wherever you are right now and try to buy another one?  Maybe you can’t find one in a similar deal...or maybe you can.  Never know until you try.  The RV market (and boat and pool) is way up right now, but they’re out there.

With regard to the Niece buying a house, that seems a little chicken and egg.  Isn’t she just deciding to buy it now because you’re coming home and therefor, essentially kicking her out?  Wouldn’t she stay if you weren’t coming home?

You have been inspiration with this thing from the jump.  I remember when you were just going to pull a trailer behind your F-150 thinking this would be awesome and it ended up being so much more incredible than I ever hoped.  Hate that it ended like it did but as others have said maybe the replacement RV will be easier to find than you think.  I'll bet you a dollar you are on the internet at night looking up RV's for sale within a week of that first night in your bed at home.

Seriously thanks for letting us share this journey with you.  Best of luck to you and your brood.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/25/2020 at 1:30 PM, royiv said:

Dude is a masochist. There's no way I'd put myself through some sort of Grapes of Wrath tour of America much less three other humans and a dog. I don't know whether to admire the perseverance or feel sorry for all involved.

During a pandemic 

• Haha 1

I, for one, congratulate Wulaw. Do you have any idea the size of huevos it requires to undertake a family adventure like this? It's something you read about in books or see in a movie. He actually did it and came out relatively unscathed. Maybe Wulaw 2: West Coast Boogaloo is a possibility?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah tons of cred. Not an easy endeavor at all. Great memories or great stories, and probably both... “remember that time when dad...” yeah that’s what you want when you’re old is your kids retelling your stories. Good on wulaw.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I know right. Got out and was like fuck- missed it by a couple weeks. 

Not to jinx it, but 9/16 on is looking alright. 

Even better up here in north TX.  Forecast only calls for one more day above 90F.  Fingers crossed.

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Not to jinx it, but 9/16 on is looking alright. 

Even better up here in north TX.  Forecast only calls for one more day above 90F.  Fingers crossed.

I sure hope that cold front comes through next Tuesday/Wednesday. It's face melting bad here in Htown right now.

Still waiting on word on if we are getting totaled.  Dragging ass on forever seemingly. I have to think it's getting totalled though, with a $37k estimate and a 49k total policy.  Thank goodness I have gap insurance.

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I sure hope that cold front comes through next Tuesday/Wednesday. It's face melting bad here in Htown right now.

Still waiting on word on if we are getting totaled.  Dragging ass on forever seemingly. I have to think it's getting totalled though, with a $37k estimate and a 49k total policy.  Thank goodness I have gap insurance.

So, now that you're a seasoned RV veteran, go grab that $5,000 trailer and let the adventure resume! :)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1