Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

45 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Me too.

Look, if the guy’s going to preside over the downfall of the Republic, he at least needs to make me laugh. And he’s doing that. Right down to the orange clown makeup.

buf·foon
bəˈfo͞on/
noun a ridiculous but amusing person; a clown.

Just now, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Isn't Tahoe right?  Contrapostive of a true statement is a true statement.  If A then B / if not B then not A.

no...in the statement, "white" is an adjective describing the subject "racist."  Thus, to accept tahoe's contrapositive, it would have to be axiomatic that to be a racist, one would have to be white and that to be white, one would have to be racist.

the statement allows for racists that are not white and for whites that are not racists.  thus, it is incorrect for tahoe to say that one cannot dislike trump if they are white OR racist. 

1 minute ago, sidis said:

no...in the statement, "white" is an adjective describing the subject "racist."  Thus, to accept tahoe's contrapositive, it would have to be axiomatic that to be a racist, one would have to be white and that to be white, one would have to be racist.

the statement allows for racists that are not white and for whites that are not racists.  thus, it is incorrect for tahoe to say that one cannot dislike trump if they are white OR racist. 

Hm.  I guess I just read it differently.  Tahoe says:  "Thus, anybody who doesn't love Trump is either not White or not racist."  I don't understand it to mean "it would have to be axiomatic that to be a racist, one would have to be white and that to be white, one would have to be racist."  A white racist has to be both white and racist.  If you are not one of the two ("either not white or not racist") then you are not a "white racist."

So people that don't love Trump are (1) not white, but may or may not be racist or (2) not racist, but may or may not be white.  

Whatever.  Meaningless tangent over.

I'd say the fallacy would be because the original statement was not one of absolute fact, but rather as a challenge.  "Find me a white racist who doesn't love Trump."  I think one can.  I'm guessing there are white racists who don't love Trump, but I don't know any of them.  One could imagine an actual fiscal conservative not loving Trump, but still being a racist. (Tahoe may have been referencing himself.)

Edited by Tuco
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Hm.  I guess I just read it differently.  Tahoe says:  "Thus, anybody who doesn't love Trump is either not White or not racist."  I don't understand it to mean "it would have to be axiomatic that to be a racist, one would have to be white and that to be white, one would have to be racist."  A white racist has to be both white and racist.  If you are not one of the two ("either not white or not racist") then you are not a "white racist."

So people that don't love Trump are (1) not white, but may or may not be racist or (2) not racist, but may or may not be white.  

no, you are reading it incorrectly.  here is what tahoe says:

"Thus, anybody who doesn't love Trump is either not White or not racist."

in response to:

"Find me a white racist who doesn't love Trump."

what was originally said is a positive declaration that all "white racists" (importantly, combining the two terms...a racist that must also be white, and a white who must also be racist) together must like trump(a fairly silly and unprovable statement in its own right)...specifically identifying a subset of a) whites; and b) racists.  think of a venn diagram with two circles.  one white, one racist.  He is referring to the overlap between the two but not the whole of either circle as there are many whites who are not racist and many racists who are not white.  tahoe disingenuously (because he knows better) then takes that statement and infers incorrectly a contrapositive which he claims that if one does not like trump, they must not be white or must not be racist.  this ignores the parts of both circles that do not overlap (i.e., the whites that are not racist who very much do not like trump and the non-white racists who very much do not like trump).  very simple stuff here, folks.

if we cannot agree that tahoe's statement was idiotic and completely erroneous, then there is no point to debating the virtues of the iran nuclear deal.

Edited by sidis

19 hours ago, scottsins said:

I wish he would do more of those Obama-esqe commutations.  I guess he thinks that there is only one inmate with these facts.

*  Maybe this whole endeavor was the reason behind Kanye wearing a MAGA hat?

19 hours ago, crackamacgowski said:

Kanye plays chess better than DOTUS.

19 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

it makes you raise  your eyebrow a little because it came right after kanye putting on a maga hat.  his wife gets to meet with trump and he gives a pardon.  smelled a little like 'praise trump and  you too can get something.'

That would be so smart and selfless that I'd have to tip my hat to two people I wish I didn't even know about. Kanye and Kim with the clever stroke that helped a woman out of prison. I hope it's true, and I hope we find out at some point. 

25 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

And-Another-Thing-web.jpg

his contrapositive statement also cannot be applied to the original statement.  there is nothing in the original statement that one cannot find a white racist who isn't a trump supporter that connotes the logical extension that people outside of that group cannot also like trump...it is a new posit from tahoe, not a natural logical extension of the original statement.  this fallacy of course is in addition to the original fallacy of using "or" by tahoe instead of "and" in his idiotic statement.  the fact that the donut errand boy appealed to the laws of logic to double down on his stupidity is just the icing...or donut hole, if you will.

14 minutes ago, sidis said:

what was originally said is a positive declaration that all "white racists" (importantly, combining the two terms....

I think you are over thinking this.  If all "White Racists" love Trump, then it makes sense that if someone does not love Trump, they are not a "White Racist".  If they are not a "White Racist", then they are either a) not "White" or b) not "Racist". 

I think the original statement is wrong (when presented as an absolute).  I think someone like Tahoe can be a "White Racist" but still not "love Trump." Now, I would say that since Tahoe is a White Racist (hypothetically, of course) it means that not only is he left unbothered by Trump's racists actions, but can actually support that particular part of the agenda, as demonstrated by his love of Jeff Sessions. Tahoe might not love Trump because of the level of buffoonery Trump exhibits in all of his actions - racist and non-racist- or because Trump is a walking disaster zone when it comes to trade and international policy.  So, while Tahoe might not "love Trump," he is perfectly comfortable supporting Jeff Sessions as attorney general and the Republican Party in general.

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Me too.

Look, if the guy’s going to preside over the downfall of the Republic, he at least needs to make me laugh. And he’s doing that. Right down to the orange clown makeup.

Follow-up:

"I didn't see anyone taking the approach that would reflect his comments," Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez told the Chronicle. "I'll be sure to invite the President to ride out the next hurricane in a jon boat in Galveston Bay the next time one approaches."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/07/politics/donald-trump-fema-hurricane-harvey/index.html