Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

4 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I just don't understand what the possible motive for this is

Makes it cheaper to produce cars, therefore cars are cheaper. Therefore more cars will be sold. Plus, if cars get lower emissions, it paves the way for industry to start hollaring for lower standards, which means soon we can go back to setting our rivers and lakes on fire. Viva Cleveland!

2 hours ago, Grandioso said:

Have I been asleep and missed the nickname for Obama or is that new?  Love that he’s calling someone else a cheater in the midst of the Stormy weather he’s going through at the moment. Really takes your mind off his cheating and makes you realize it’s everyone else who is a cheater. 

As has been said before, one of the worst things about all of this is the fact that the presidency will not return to normal anytime soon. We're not going to turn around and elect a normal president. The left side of the aisle will remember the actions of DOTUS/Ryan/McConnell/etc. and they will want a reckoning.

Edited by retread
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, retread said:

As has been said before, one of the worst things about all of this is the fact that the presidency will not return to normal anytime soon. We're not going to turn around and elect a normal president. The left side of the aisle will remember the actions of DOTUS/Ryan/McConnell/etc. and they will want a reckoning.

And the right will return to being hypercritical of those in charge, even after letting everything slide with Trump.  It's going to be maddening.  

5 minutes ago, retread said:

Disagree. I just want a normal president. Obama, Bush Jr, Clinton, Bush sr, Reagan, Carter, any of those guys plus I will take Romney, McCain, Dole, Gore, I mean anyone that is normal, ethical, lived a life of service and understands that the office of the presidency is bigger than any one person and it is to be respected and revered. I dont even really care about their policies at this point. I just want an ethical, moral person. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Disagree. I just want a normal president. Obama, Bush Jr, Clinton, Bush sr, Reagan, Carter, any of those guys plus I will take Romney, McCain, Dole, Gore, I mean anyone that is normal, ethical, lived a life of service and understands that the office of the presidency is bigger than any one person and it is to be respected and revered. I dont even really care about their policies at this point. I just want an ethical, moral person. 

Agree. However there does need to be a reckoning for those (Ryan, McConnell, Pence, etc.) who have continued to support this moron and enabled this behavior 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, retread said:

or do they!?!

Reveal hidden contents

Every day when I think to myself "no way he could say/tweet anything that would make me think he is dumber than he already is" and he always proves me wrong. If he were in my group of friend's, he would literally be the dumbest guy I know, and yet he is the leader of our country. Thanks republicans. Enjoy your short time left as a relevant party, you fucking idiots. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DixonHur said:

To me, the scariest thing about the Trump presidency is that somehow the polls still show him having a 40+% approval rating.  How are there that many Americans who support this buffoon?  Something around 20% I could rationalize, but over 40% is completely mind boggling.

What is "party over country"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retread said:

I bet we see a big snap back.  The next guy will be over the top with decorum and norms just to emphatically turn the page on this chapter.  

Trump doesn’t know or care if amazon is paying too little for usps service or not.  The important part is that he wants to punish bezos as the owner of the Washington post.  

Hard to believe our democracy has come to this: a president trying to harm a legitimate company because of political views. 

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

So Amazon should now pay MORE to ship products than other high volume shippers? Because Bezos?

this is amazeballs. you see what he's doing, right? he knows that he reasonable people in this country think he's a moron. he's riling up the fucking rubes, though. and he's doing it with straight up untruth. just flat out lies. 

He does the same thing every time and the media falls for it. They take what he does as having far more substance. Writers are talking about how his words have some truth to it because small businesses and retailers are being hurt by Amazon. Never mind that it is mostly because of the work Walmart started. He can't go after Walmart though.

And never mind that Amazon is successful because it is something that people want and that new technologies are allowing.

But the press will pick up on one thing that "has truth to it" and buy into the argument. It is how he won.

• Like 2

I'm with Dr. Teeth on this one.

The mainstream news media are set in the ways that they take apart an event and process it for news and opinion. In the case of the president's tweets, they sift through the obvious ignorance and bombast, the horseshit if you will, to find kernels of corn that they are familiar with. They report that the president came forth with corn today and here it is with commentary.

No. It's not corn production. It's shit production. That's the story. 

In the last few days the President has strongly indicated that he doesn't understand DACA. The convoy of Hondurans headed our way to kill us, rape us and take our jobs are also looking to get in on this DACA racket. The mainstream news know how to deal with the hard story of the convoy (caravan, whatever), so they send cameras and focus on that. 

Fortunately, the insane criminality of the president is self-evident to anyone paying attention. What's that, about 20% of the electorate?

We'll be fine.

In what way did Obama cheat?

They are still trying to push the completely bullshit narrative that he won in 2012 from illegal voters and that he was born outside of the US.  His followers will jump all over it, as they always do.

Edited by SameSame

I wonder if this has anything to do with Trumps tweets about Amazon.....

http://fortune.com/2017/10/17/amazon-donald-trump-net-worth-forbes/

Amazon Caused Donald Trump to Lose $400 Million in Net Worth, Says Forbes

President Donald Trump’s net worth declined by more than $600 million in the past year, according to the Forbes 400 List of the richest people in America. However surprising Trump’s loss may be, the reason for it is even more unexpected. Trump’s real estate holdings, specifically those in New York City, have taken a big hit in the past year, as retail values are struggling in response to Amazon’s e-commerce gains.

Edited by Ted Lange

14 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

I wonder if this has anything to do with Trumps tweets about Amazon.....

http://fortune.com/2017/10/17/amazon-donald-trump-net-worth-forbes/

Amazon Caused Donald Trump to Lose $400 Million in Net Worth, Says Forbes

President Donald Trump’s net worth declined by more than $600 million in the past year, according to the Forbes 400 List of the richest people in America. However surprising Trump’s loss may be, the reason for it is even more unexpected. Trump’s real estate holdings, specifically those in New York City, have taken a big hit in the past year, as retail values are struggling in response to Amazon’s e-commerce gains.

Except that's not quite the reason.  The Fortune article says:

"Appearing on CNN Tuesday, Forbes assistant managing editor Kerry Dolan leveled blame for Trump’s real estate losses on e-commerce’s domination over retail, mentioning Amazon. Specifically citing the lease of the Niketown store and the Trump Tower property, Dolan said that retailers are suffering—even on the high end. It would appear that Amazon’s strategy of e-commerce over brick and mortar retail is winning, and that is having an effect on real estate values, she added."

In actuality, Nike isn't closing up shop. Its moving its flagship floor 5 blocks down 5th Avenue.  Amazon has nothing to do with it.  Its moving because Trump is Trump and because his space doesn't suit their needs. From another article.

"Two anonymous Nike employees told Forbes that these space issues at Niketown were the biggest reason for the move, while the association with Trump's brand was only "a factor, to some degree."

http://www.businessinsider.com/nike-is-leaving-its-iconic-niketown-property-2017-12

He basically killed his own worth.  He's not only losing retail tenants.  At a time when prices have been going up for other Manhattan luxury condos and apartments, his are going down.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/real-estate/news/a9887/trump-tower-apartment-sales/

Manhattan elites hate his fucking guts now, and that's where he made his fortune.  Once he no longer has pay-for-play to offer foreign investors, he's gonna end up bankrupt for real this time.

Edited by FondrenRoad

8 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Except that's not quite the reason.  The Fortune article says:

"Appearing on CNN Tuesday, Forbes assistant managing editor Kerry Dolan leveled blame for Trump’s real estate losses on e-commerce’s domination over retail, mentioning Amazon. Specifically citing the lease of the Niketown store and the Trump Tower property, Dolan said that retailers are suffering—even on the high end. It would appear that Amazon’s strategy of e-commerce over brick and mortar retail is winning, and that is having an effect on real estate values, she added."

In actuality, Nike isn't closing up shop. Its moving its flagship floor 5 blocks down 5th Avenue.  Amazon has nothing to do with it.  Its moving because Trump is Trump and because his space doesn't suit their needs. From another article.

"Two anonymous Nike employees told Forbes that these space issues at Niketown were the biggest reason for the move, while the association with Trump's brand was only "a factor, to some degree."

http://www.businessinsider.com/nike-is-leaving-its-iconic-niketown-property-2017-12

He basically killed his own worth.  He's not only losing retail tenants.  At a time when prices have been going up for other Manhattan luxury condos and apartments, his are going down.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/real-estate/news/a9887/trump-tower-apartment-sales/

Manhattan elites hate his fucking guts now, and that's where he made his fortune.  Once he no longer has pay-for-play to offer foreign investors, he's gonna end up bankrupt for real this time.

What are the chances that Trump blames himself for these losses, vs blaming someone else?  I'd put it at about 0%

"These big flows of people are all trying to take advantage of DACA. They want in on the act!"

When you unpack all of the implications from this stupid little 2-sentence tweet, it is mind-blowing: the Fox News feedback loop, his utter miscomprehension of DACA and immigration laws (or really, ANY laws), who is eligible for DACA, his willingness to make sweeping generalizations based simply on his perceived beliefs, etc.