Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

One of the more surprising stories of this week to fly under the radar is Trump considering another Summit with Kim Jong Un. 

Who in their right mind thinks that’s a good idea without substantial preconditions? 

We got so much from it last time.  Of course we're going to do it again.

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

One of the more surprising stories of this week to fly under the radar is Trump considering another Summit with Kim Jong Un. 

Who in their right mind thinks that’s a good idea without substantial preconditions? 

OK, that's a trick question, right?

If y'all haven't done so already, I would recommend you listen to today's podcast on The Daily.  It's a 30 minute interview of Bob Woodward discussing his use of unnamed sources for deep background, comparisons to his use during Watergate, and ultimately his impressions of Trump.  The last minute or so is chilling.

"I said to him, 'we are at a pivot point in history.'  And his response was, 'right.'"

--interviewer--"But why?"

"Because Donald Trump is President."

"But being President is about the exercise of power.  And when he told Bob Costa and myself, "you know, real power, the real stuff,  is fear.'  And I've said this, it's almost a Shakesperian aside, it's almost like Hamlet turning to the audience and saying, 'this is what it's all about.'"

--interviewer--"What did you understanding him to be saying?"

"That you have to scare the daylights out of people to be powerful."

Link to The Daily

• Like 1

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

I think we've reached the bottom of his support.  I don't think it will ever go lower.  These people are dug in like an Alabama tick.  What was Nixon's final %?  Like 24%?

This.  I've been referring to the Gallup numbers, not because they're necessarily spot-on, but because they offer a good point of comparison with prior admins.  The lowest he ever got is 35%.  It's now holding steady around 40%.  That's where we are: 35-40% stands with him.  They will not be moved.  By anything.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  I've been referring to the Gallup numbers, not because they're necessarily spot-on, but because they offer a good point of comparison with prior admins.  The lowest he ever got is 35%.  It's now holding steady around 40%.  That's where we are: 35-40% stands with him.  They will not be moved.  By anything.

These numbers mean he will lose the House in November and if they remain this low he will not be re-elected.

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

These numbers mean he will lose the House in November and if they remain this low he will not be re-elected.

1) we have shitty turnout.

2) we have short memories.

3) voter suppression works.

4) if need be, he'll get us into a war to whip up patriotic support.

5) 8 years of Trump.

Edited by Brisketexan

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Trump’s power resides on keeping the country divided.  Getting us in a significant new military excursion would unite the country against him...

unless NK nukes us, I don’t see it happening.

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1) we have shitty turnout.

2) we have short memories.

3) voter suppression works.

5) 8 years of Trump.

I don't think #1 and #2 will be a problem, particularly in a few months.

Which leads to this:  We just think we've seen him unhinged.  Just wait until the Dems control the House, and/or the Senate is too close for him to rely upon.  Imagine if Howard Hughes had twitter.  He will spend a lot more time holed up in the Devil's Workshop tweeting away.

And if the House impeaches him, then you'll see the true fireworks. He will be signing Executive Orders left and right, and will spend his days holed up in his bunker raging against everybody.

Plus, he will probably fire a lot more people after the elections.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Which leads to this:  We just think we've seen him unhinged.  Just wait until the Dems control the House, and/or the Senate is too close for him to rely upon.  Imagine if Howard Hughes had twitter.  He will spend a lot more time holed up in the Devil's Workshop tweeting away.

And if the House impeaches him, then you'll see the true fireworks. He will be signing Executive Orders left and right, and will spend his days holed up in his bunker raging against everybody.

Plus, he will probably fire a lot more people after the elections.

While this is unlikely, I’m not ruling out the possibility of Trump warming up to democrats and trying to negotiate some legislative deals to retain power.

If the democrats take the House, they will have significant leverage over not only Trump, but his republican loyalists in congress.  They will have to follow Trump’s lead if he decides to start appeasing the democrats.

Of course this would be a huge mistake for the democrats because Trump needs to be removed ASAP but I’m not ruling it out.

49 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

One of the more bizarre facts about the Trump presidency so far is he hasn’t gone overseas to visit any troops deployed in a combat area.

Former presidents and current senators do it all the time. 

It improves troop morale and usually a great PR opportunity for the visitor.

Trump should be all over that. 

Because there is no fighting going on close enough to Trump property to allow him to make $$ off secret service, press, etc housing there.

• Like 1

There was a farmer in Illinois interviewed on NPR today about tariffs.  He said they had brought his business down 20-25% so far and not only that, he was worried about the president not having a plan in place going forward.  He said that the younger farmers were the ones who were going to really be hurt.  He has been in the business for a few decades and doesn't have the huge start up costs and loans to worry about, so they are really in trouble.

At the end of the interview, he was asked if he voted for Trump (yes) and if he would again.  I don't know.  That was his answer.  I don't know.

He then said he tries to evaluate the candidates on the issues, not on the basis of R or D.  And he was a good Christian.  This is the problem.  This right here.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

23 minutes ago, sachick said:

Sounds like what my kids would say. When they were five.

Well, when you consider the fact that our country is being run by a man with the intelligence and emotional maturity of a 5 year old, literally EVERYTHING about this admin makes perfect sense.  Right down to living off of McDonalds and soda.  We are being run by a petulant, not-very-bright child.  This is exactly what the rein of a spoiled toddler (with an adult libido and appetite) would look like.

The federal deficit hit $895 billion in the first 11 months of fiscal 2018, an increase of $222 billion, or 32 percent, over the same period the previous year, according to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO).

The nonpartisan CBO reported that the central drivers of the increasing deficit were the Republican tax law and the bipartisan agreement to increase spending. As a result, revenue only rose 1 percent, failing to keep up with a 7 percent surge in spending, it added.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

He then said he tries to evaluate the candidates on the issues, not on the basis of R or D.  And he was a good Christian.  

Out of all the insane things to be confronted by in this bizarre universe we’ve fallen into, the most insane thing to me is how self-professing “Christians” feel like their belief system prevents them from turning away from a profoundly immoral and un-Christ-like man.  

Just now, Paul Wesley said:

Out of all the insane things to be confronted by in this bizarre universe we’ve fallen into, the most insane thing to me is how self-professing “Christians” feel like their belief system prevents them from turning away from a profoundly immoral and un-Christ-like man.  

Well, once you realize that American "Christianity" has nothing to do with Christ (other than using Him for branding purposes), it's pretty easy to understand.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The nonpartisan CBO reported that the central drivers of the increasing deficit were the Republican tax law and the bipartisan agreement to increase spending. As a result, revenue only rose 1 percent, failing to keep up with a 7 percent surge in spending, it added.

Ah yes, the rare and elusive bipartisan issue to rally around in DC. Increasing spending. Who says our government doesn't work when it needs to. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

While this is unlikely, I’m not ruling out the possibility of Trump warming up to democrats and trying to negotiate some legislative deals to retain power.

If the democrats take the House, they will have significant leverage over not only Trump, but his republican loyalists in congress.  They will have to follow Trump’s lead if he decides to start appeasing the democrats.

Of course this would be a huge mistake for the democrats because Trump needs to be removed ASAP but I’m not ruling it out.

Working with Dems would be a sign of weakness and/or completely turn off his base.

Most are cool with him not being a Christian or shitting on John McCain, and Vietnam vets in general, or cozying up to Russia.

But cozying up to the Democrats?  Too far for the typical Trumpkin.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’d settle for the single precondition that Trump is no longer in office.