COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Kids are sick from not having had their immune systems challenged for 20 months. It’s not Covid. My hospital has been full since the end of May with RSV and bronchiolitis. This is an illness we don’t see until mid October and is full bore around January. We are above typical l January numbers and it’s july/august. We just climbed above 2 Covid cases at once last week for the first time since November.

No clue if you're right but it makes sense. Neither of my kids have been sick in over a year. Before that my oldest daughter (now 5) had RSV twice, hand foot mouth twice, as well as rhino virus, noro virus and tons of other shit. 

1 hour ago, smoky said:

One of the local TV stations had a quote that something like 80% of Austin's hospitalizations were from one of the zip codes near Del Valle. I'll try to find a link to their story, but I couldn't ever find their back up.

Looking at the case map for Travis county, most of the cases from the past 14 days are from Pflugerville and del Valle, so it could be true.

I personally know 11 from Metropolis to Dell Valley. 5 from a single family, though.

38 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I don’t know how to say this without sounding incredibly condescending, but I didn’t ask if you think I’m right. I’m in the middle of it. I’m telling you how it is. It’s not up for debate.

Which hospital and how many are Covid patients?

10 minutes ago, Okie State said:

So I keep reading comments about how vaccinated people are actually the super spreaders causing all the spikes in infections we're seeing currently. Where in the world is this coming from? Has there been anything at all showing that is occurring?

It’s coming from Facebook trolls of questionable origin who then rely on Facebook idiots who “do their own research” to spread it around Ad Infinitum. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So I keep reading comments about how vaccinated people are actually the super spreaders causing all the spikes in infections we're seeing currently. Where in the world is this coming from? Has there been anything at all showing that is occurring?

The anti vaxxers aren't going to own the consequences of their actions. They're going to blame others.
  • Hook 'Em 2

It’s coming from Facebook trolls of questionable origin who then rely on Facebook idiots who “do their own research” to spread it around Ad Infinitum. 
The anti vaxxers aren't going to own the consequences of their actions. They're going to blame others.
I figured as much. Just didn't know if it was coming from some quack 'expert' or incomplete data that was taken out of context and bent to fit the narrative. That seems to be the source of most of these types of things that spread like wildfire.

25 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
41 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Yep. My wife’s best friends husbands parents are currently in a Scott and white hospital in temple because of Covid and are not only denying its Covid, even though the doc and the test says so, but are currently blaming it on the vaccinated for putting them there.

Sort of disheartening but oh well. I don’t know them, never met em, so fuck it man! Life moves on!

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, Okie State said:

No, of course not. Apparently Joe Rogan completely misinterpreted a 2015 study on the phenomenon. From what I can tell, the current dominant variants, if you will, of ill-informed views on Texags/TD are (i) you can still get it/pass it so there’s utterly no point*, (ii) the vaccine is causing the super variants and (iii) IVERMECTIN!!!! 

*As a corollary, the eradication of polio appears to be a big “checkmate lib” talking point. I have no idea why.  As it turns out, COVID led to a suspension of WHO’s polio immunization campaigns last year, leaving 30-40 million kids without inoculations. So aggy is fucking up polio, too. 

9 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Yep. My wife’s best friends husbands parents are currently in a Scott and white hospital in temple because of Covid and are not only denying its Covid, even though the doc and the test says so, but are current blaming it on the vaccinated for putting them there.

Sort of disheartening but oh well. I don’t know them, never met em, so fuck it man! Life moves on!

you can't change the mind of the conned sadly. 

man thats shit to read

have to go next level and allocate resources to those trying to prevent shit from getting worse. everyone is saying that but whatever. it ain't going to happen

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, XYZ said:

That guy claims a lot of things. You say he’s almost completely wrong. What is he not wrong about?

Kids wearing masks correctly is like trying to bathe a cat so while masks work, realistically they won’t in elementary school. The reason kids didn’t get Covid last year is because the alpha variant just wasn’t very contagious among those under 12. 

And normal vitamin D levels are correlated with better outcomes than low levels for hospitalization and death. We just don’t know if supplementing them in for treatment works, so I will give the guy a half pass on that.

But his message overall was extremely dangerous.

Is there any data anywhere for percentages of hospitalized vaxxed vs unvaxxed? I'm having a discussion with some distant family members and making good progress, but this seems to be the hangup ATM. I can't find it anywhere in the TMC dashboard, but I thought someone had posted numbers somewhere. I'll take any info from any of the major Texas metros. 

Tell em to have a conversation with their physician and not you. Less CNN and more PhD.

14 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Kids wearing masks correctly is like trying to bathe a cat so while masks work, realistically they won’t in elementary school. The reason kids didn’t get Covid last year is because the alpha variant just wasn’t very contagious among those under 12. 

And normal vitamin D levels are correlated with better outcomes than low levels for hospitalization and death. We just don’t know if supplementing them in for treatment works, so I will give the guy a half pass on that.

But his message overall was extremely dangerous.

Unless you live on or near the equator everyone should take vitamin d supplements to offset the lack of sun, especially during the winter months when the sun is low. It can’t hurt. Vitamin d is the only thing you can’t really get from food. Wonder why that is? Because it comes from the sun. Just like photosynthesis for plants. It regulates the immune system and helps keep you alive.

Once you already have covid though supplements of vitamin d probably won’t do shit but based on anecdotal evidence from the Spanish flu days sunlight exposure itself might help somewhat. 

Anti vaxxers are complete idiots though. Just so I stay on topic.

shit 

32 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Once you already have covid though supplements of vitamin d probably won’t do shit but based on anecdotal evidence from the Spanish flu days sunlight exposure itself might help somewhat. 

Anti vaxxers are complete idiots though.

We need to tell them to shove their vitamin D where the sun doesn't shine, since that's obviously the place most in need of sunlight.

2 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

No, of course not. Apparently Joe Rogan completely misinterpreted a 2015 study on the phenomenon. From what I can tell, the current dominant variants, if you will, of ill-informed views on Texags/TD are (i) you can still get it/pass it so there’s utterly no point*, (ii) the vaccine is causing the super variants and (iii) IVERMECTIN!!!! 

*As a corollary, the eradication of polio appears to be a big “checkmate lib” talking point. I have no idea why.  As it turns out, COVID led to a suspension of WHO’s polio immunization campaigns last year, leaving 30-40 million kids without inoculations. So aggy is fucking up polio, too. 

Seriously? Joe Rogan started or aided the propagation of that nonsense? Or am I reading that wrong?

6 hours ago, wood said:

Seriously? Joe Rogan started or aided the propagation of that nonsense? Or am I reading that wrong?

I kind of like the contrarians in our society to avoid groupthink but they are often narcissistic and don't know when to stop. So that's how we get Joe Rogan and Tucker C overstepping their lane and get stupid on us.  This is true for all of these crackpot "experts" going viral with FB "doctors" propagating the BS in an effort for confirmation bias.

spacer.png

16 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How good is austin as a proxy for the state or beyond?  My guess is not great. 

If you look at the vaccination tab under the ut health link I posted above, you can see a county by county map.  Basically, the metro areas are doing better than the rural areas, the valley is doing pretty well, and El Paso is crushing it.

11 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Yep. My wife’s best friends husbands parents are currently in a Scott and white hospital in temple because of Covid and are not only denying its Covid, even though the doc and the test says so, but are currently blaming it on the vaccinated for putting them there.

“It’s not COVID, and it’s the fault of people shedding COVID bugs.”  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I check out the NYTimes hotspot map each day. Darker oranges and red indicate many cases per 100k.  I wish they had a timelapse view of the map progression but a regular visit shows you how the delta wave is proceeding throughout the southeast. Now you see it creeping outwards into Indiana, Illinois and perhaps WV or OH.

The halt of high covid cases into east Texas from AR and LA is questionable but perhaps there isn't much interaction across the Sabine. Unfortunately I think this will be short lived as east Texas with low vaccination rates is an unlikely fire break.

Capture - Copy (2).JPG