COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

We to define what "sick" is.  If I have a fever, I'm usually out for the count.  But other symptoms I absolutely work though depending upon the severity.  Often, I can go for a 5 mile run with a cough and runny nose and not miss a beat.  And, in my mind, if I can go for a run, I can show up at work.
One thing I did not learn until very recently is that 30-50% cases of flu per year are asymptomatic.  Like Covid, do we define that as sick?  We certainly never have because we've never known or cared.

Stop showing up to the cockpit with a cough and sneezes. Fucking first officer with "just getting over a cold". It's good though because he went to the pharmacia in Guatemala City on the layover and got ivermectin and. His wife swears by it.

I expect to be dead inside a week. He also has a ted Cruz Texas face mask that gets carried around most of the time.
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Stop showing up to the cockpit with a cough and sneezes. Fucking first officer with "just getting over a cold". It's good though because he went to the pharmacia in Guatemala City on the layover and got ivermectin and. His wife swears by it.

I expect to be dead inside a week. He also has a ted Cruz Texas face mask that gets carried around most of the time.

Are you a really fat guy or something?

6 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Don’t worry, I heard from the public information officers at all the airlines that the air exchange inside a commercial airliner is amazing, surpassed only by the filtration system.  

and they’d never lie to coax customers onto flights, so you are as safe as a baby in its mother’s arms. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Yeah, this. Before this fucking pandemic, one day I’m at the office and there’s somebody sneezing and coughing. I hear “are you OK?” to which he responds “yeah, I’m OK, I just have flu symptoms”. WTF? Puritan work ethic or whatever.

I used to be like that when I was younger.  "I'll tough it out, show'em what a man I am, coming to work with mid-grade fever and hacking all over!"  At some point you realize you're not only risking getting your co-workers sick, but their families (kids, elders etc.)  If you're hungover, maybe go to work.  If you're sick with a contagious illness, maybe not so much*.

* I realize that hourly workers/workers with no leave don't always have this option.  I would like to fix that.

• Hook 'Em 3

Wife and I both tested positive today. Had to have relatives drop off tests on our front door because it was a 5 day wait for in person test with no tests on the shelves.

We figured we both had a cold because the symptoms were so similar but I guess now we start our 5 day wait as we haven’t had a fever. 

From 1998-2005 I worked for a company that had unlimited sick days. If you were sick you were expected to stay out of the office- don't come in and infect others. Work at home if you want or don't work at all... just stay the fuck away while you're sick. 

I don't recall anyone ever abusing it and it was great not having sick people coming into the office and infecting others. 

Edited by KaiserSoze
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Okay, so I'm trying to do some back of envelope math, and I may be looking like this....

confused-math.gif

BUT....Because Omicron transmission is 4X Delta's, BUT, it's hospitalization is .25X Delta's, we end up with a hospitalized population equal to that of the Delta wave.

BUT, then the next number is "severe cases" (which I think should be our REAL metric -- not even hospitalizations, as people are apparently being admitted for monitoring, etc., when they don't have a severe case requiring ICU, vent, etc.).  And as patients are 73% likely to NOT have a severe case (meaning 27% do have a severe case), then we are going to see 1) a hospitalized population as big as the Delta wave, but 2) only 27% of that population will have a severe case.

So, the last data point that I'm missing....what percentage of Delta admissions were severe cases, so we can do an apples-to-apples comparison?  NEVERMIND -- I see it.

66.9% severe disease during Delta

28.8% severe disease during Omicron

So, the 73/37 numbers are relative to Delta's numbers?  Now I really am the confused math lady.

Toss into this equation what I heard today on the radio that while the hospitalization rate is currently slower than the case rate, this is largely due to the high number of breakthrough cases (which tend to be much less severe).  What is still unclear is whether Omicron is any less severe than prior variants to the unvaccinated.  Those folks still risk poor outcomes, and with the significantly higher transmissibility of Omicron, we still could see hospitals get overrun.  

Seems like we can bank on:

1. January being very bad

2. This wave being shorter in duration than the previous 3.  

3. This wave not killing a very high % of vaccinated people

The main unknowns are:

1. Just how bad will this wave be in terms of hospitalizations/deaths

2. Will enough people come out of this wave with lasting immunity to ensure that omicron and previous variants are no longer meaningful threats to overwhelm our healthcare system and cause significant human suffering 

3. Will there be another (potentially worse) variant in the short or medium term

10 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Toss into this equation what I heard today on the radio that while the hospitalization rate is currently slower than the case rate, this is largely due to the high number of breakthrough cases (which tend to be much less severe).  What is still unclear is whether Omicron is any less severe than prior variants to the unvaccinated.  Those folks still risk poor outcomes, and with the significantly higher transmissibility of Omicron, we still could see hospitals get overrun.  

Yeah.... the impact on hospitals is real, no matter the source (vaxxed, unvaxxed, or both).

But as to the broader public health risk of COVID.....seeing the numbers on severe disease for Omicron among the vaxxed vs. the unvaxxed would be some helpful data to getting to the point of understanding if "so, if we're vaccinated, between that and Omicron becoming the dominant strain, we've turned COVID into a bad cold" is a possible outcome here.

My suspicion is that the data is going to show us that for fuck's sake, get everyone (or over 90%, or some similarly high number) fucking vaccinated, and we can put COVID as a "public health crisis" behind us.  Omicron, and the delta between severe disease outcomes for vaxxed vs. unvaxxed, will tell us that the most essential step for closing the book on COVID as a world-changer will be continued vaccination campaigns.

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah.... the impact on hospitals is real, no matter the source (vaxxed, unvaxxed, or both).

But as to the broader public health risk of COVID.....seeing the numbers on severe disease for Omicron among the vaxxed vs. the unvaxxed would be some helpful data to getting to the point of understanding if "so, if we're vaccinated, between that and Omicron becoming the dominant strain, we've turned COVID into a bad cold" is a possible outcome here.

My suspicion is that the data is going to show us that for fuck's sake, get everyone (or over 90%, or some similarly high number) fucking vaccinated, and we can put COVID as a "public health crisis" behind us.  Omicron, and the delta between severe disease outcomes for vaxxed vs. unvaxxed, will tell us that the most essential step for closing the book on COVID as a world-changer will be continued vaccination campaigns.

I meant to be clearer in my earlier post, but what what struck me about that report was that while we've all been talking about how Omicron is less severe to the total population, there doesn't appear to be any indication -- YET -- that it is any less severe to those who are unvaccinated.  We all of course hope it turns out to be so, but let's not start asking the fat lady to warm up just yet.  Because it could get really ugly especially if Omicron rips through the unvaccinated as fast as it seems to be ripping through the rest of the population.

41 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

LOL, pediatrician sent out an email blast today.  Basically  said "We are fucking swamped.  If your kid has a positive rapid test, go with it. No need to confirm via PCR because we are spread too thin and our phones are ringing off the hook."

That is what I’m reading is the standard response by the health care industry.  Accept that the positive rapid test is correct and follow the guidelines. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Pfizer boosters for 12-15 to be approved on Monday. 

despite the lowered risk level for that age group, and the apparently lowered risk of serious illness from omicron, we will be getting boosters for our kids as soon as we can schedule them. 

I ask this, while risking being negged into oblivion.  I am a parent of 3 boys 12 and under.  They are not vaccinated (wife and I are, as are all adults in extended family).

While the timing of the approval of vaccinations for children are a few months behind adults, they seem to follow the same path.  And you can kind of see where this is going.

Adults 16+ approved for 2 shots.  12-15 approved for two shots.  5-12 approved for 2 shots.  Now 0-5 is about to be approved.  Boosters recommended for vulnerable adults, Then boosters recommended for all adults.  Now children 12-15 are approved for boosters.  I feel comfortable saying 5-12 then 0-5 will be as well.

Then you see boosters only last 10 weeks.  Israel just approved 4th shot for vulnerable.  I have to imagine that will happen here before to long.  Then work its way down the age groups.

Then you read concerns that so many shots in a short period of time could actually weaken immunity.  That it could cause an immune system fatigue.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/23/world/middleeast/israel-vaccine-4th-dose.html

And its not just that one article.  Statistically my 9 year is not at risk at all.  For example, we tested all the kids for antibodies and he was positive (timing would've been delta).  We honestly have no idea when that might have happened, so he clearly had little trouble with it. 

For a kid like him, is he better off getting what could be 10, 15, 20 shots by the time he's 20 years old when he finally reaches an age where there's a sliver of risk of Covid - or - likely getting asymptomatic or mild Covid a few times (call it once a year) by the time he's 20?  Which approach gives him a better immune system heading into adult life?  

I'm far from anti-vax.  I'm not against it for my kids.  I understand the community sacrifice aspect, but I also approach that differently as an individual vs as a parent.  

If the answer to the question "what is best for my child's body long term?" is "we don't know yet", I have a hard time with that when the statu quo is almost zero risk to my child.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I ask this, while risking being negged into oblivion.  I am a parent of 3 boys 12 and under.  They are not vaccinated (wife and I are, as are all adults in extended family).

While the timing of the approval of vaccinations for children are a few months behind adults, they seem to follow the same path.  And you can kind of see where this is going.

Adults 16+ approved for 2 shots.  12-15 approved for two shots.  5-12 approved for 2 shots.  Now 0-5 is about to be approved.  Boosters recommended for vulnerable adults, Then boosters recommended for all adults.  Now children 12-15 are approved for boosters.  I feel comfortable saying 5-12 then 0-5 will be as well.

Then you see boosters only last 10 weeks.  Israel just approved 4th shot for vulnerable.  I have to imagine that will happen here before to long.  Then work its way down the age groups.

Then you read concerns that so many shots in a short period of time could actually weaken immunity.  That it could cause an immune system fatigue.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/23/world/middleeast/israel-vaccine-4th-dose.html

And its not just that one article.  Statistically my 9 year is not at risk at all.  For example, we tested all the kids for antibodies and he was positive (timing would've been delta).  We honestly have no idea when that might have happened, so he clearly had little trouble with it. 

For a kid like him, is he better off getting what could be 10, 15, 20 shots by the time he's 20 years old when he finally reaches an age where there's a sliver of risk of Covid - or - likely getting asymptomatic or mild Covid a few times (call it once a year) by the time he's 20?  Which approach gives him a better immune system heading into adult life?  

I'm far from anti-vax.  I'm not against it for my kids.  I understand the community sacrifice aspect, but I also approach that differently as an individual vs as a parent.  

If the answer to the question "what is best for my child's body long term?" is "we don't know yet", I have a hard time with that when the statu quo is almost zero risk to my child.

I wouldn't necessarily rush to get a BOOSTER for my kids.

But yeah, even if they already had a case, I'd get the regular vaccination cycle for them.  And you can hold there.  I don't think the long-term plan is to get 20 shots in the next 10 years.  We are still very early in this particular game, so we're cobbling together an effective vax strategy as we go.

But as for the basic vax cycle, it 1) has an infinitesimally low risk of material adverse outcome, 2) it is highly effective at protecting against severe disease (which DOES occur in kids, albeit at a much lower rate than adults), and 3) it reduces the risk of them having COVID and transmitting it to another person.

If I was in your shoes (I'm not -- my kids are both older, and fully vaxxed and boosted), that would likely be my approach.  I'd move deliberately/slowly, but I'd get them the basic vax cycle for now.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

I don't think the long-term plan is to get 20 shots in the next 10 years. 

Maybe.  But the post I was responding to was about to get third shot for kids in a 6 month period.  And that shot is looking like it may only last 3 months...

1 shot every 6 months doesn't seem that crazy of a future prediction.

I, maybe incorrectly, am assuming that the first 2 shots wear off just as fast (6 months) in kids as they do in adults.  If that's the case, the booster only makes sense if that's the route you choose.

Earlier I posted stats from north/west ruralish Texas indicating the upticks there had peaked.  Lulz.  Big cities getting flooded now.  Yes, we have a "with covid, not for covid" issue with this data, but we had that in the last few waves as well.  This wave looks on track to be very similar to the last two.  

Whole state:

state

Austin:

austin

DFW:

DFW

Houston:

houston

1 minute ago, Herbie Hancock said:

The hospital I transport to is full. I don’t recall it being this bad at any point in the last two years. The halls look like something out of a third world country. They had wheelchairs in the triage area because they ran out of regular chairs for people. Are all of these people in need of a hospital? Highly unlikely, but they’re swamping the system again and it’s unlike anything I’ve seen in my decade of doing this.

I worked Wednesday at my children’s hospital. Mom brought one kid in for possible flu, but she brought the other 4 siblings who were not sick and dad/father figure with her. Kid tested positive for Covid. And they were in my ER spreading their germs everywhere, not wearing masks, and not staying in their room. This happens multiple times a day at my facility and I’m sure at facilities all over the country. The lack of recourse for hospitals having to deal with stupidity like this is making it all the more worse for everyone. 

I could write a book about the stupidity I deal with on a daily basis, and unless you came to work with me there’s no way you would believe most of it. I shouldn’t have to give you a ride in an ambulance to a hospital because you got a splinter. Or because you got bit by a fire ant. You’re 26 years old and have no history of being allergic to fire ants, and you’re not experiencing any signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis, but because you want to go I now have to give you a ride in a fucking ambulance to the ER so that you can tie up vital resources that may be needed for a real emergency. 

Tldr\; The flu, the latest variant, and the uptick in bitchassness from the general population is making this the biggest surge I’ve seen thus far.

Too bad you can't make a recommendation for a lobotomy when you drop some of these dumbasses off.  Thanks for what you do.

4 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Go with your gut, not what anyone on this board recommends.  You’re the father of your children, none of these assholes are

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Wife and I both tested positive today. Had to have relatives drop off tests on our front door because it was a 5 day wait for in person test with no tests on the shelves.

We figured we both had a cold because the symptoms were so similar but I guess now we start our 5 day wait as we haven’t had a fever. 

Just got news one of the guys I’ve been hunting with for the last several days’ wife is +, and both of us have been trending sicker since weds. In his defense, she didn’t feel bad until we were down there, all vaxxed etc. But apparently it’s crushing her hard at moment. She’s super in shape (yoga instructor) so hope she can avoid serious hospitalization etc.  I figured I was still just trying to recover from the first night 18-pack but looks like I’m in contention for Omicron.  Neighbors dropping off a rapid test in AM (we’ve burned thru all ours with kids/school) and if I’m feeling well enough I’ll try a local drive thru testing station. Wife has me quarantined in the movie room but I feel like ass.  So now I’m trying to catch up on this variant. Admittedly I got burned out following the other threads closely for the last 18 months.  I’m moderna vaxxed and was due for the booster in Jan.  Preparing thy anus. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I meant to be clearer in my earlier post, but what what struck me about that report was that while we've all been talking about how Omicron is less severe to the total population, there doesn't appear to be any indication -- YET -- that it is any less severe to those who are unvaccinated.  We all of course hope it turns out to be so, but let's not start asking the fat lady to warm up just yet.  Because it could get really ugly especially if Omicron rips through the unvaccinated as fast as it seems to be ripping through the rest of the population.

I follow an immunologist that said the medical outcomes for a person that gets to a hospital bed is no different between delta and omicron. Granted, this was 8 or 10 days ago which is an eternity for omicron, but we know the type of people that end up in a hospital bed.

32 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Just got news one of the guys I’ve been hunting with for the last several days’ wife is +, and both of us have been trending sicker since weds. In his defense, she didn’t feel bad until we were down there, all vaxxed etc. But apparently it’s crushing her hard at moment. She’s super in shape (yoga instructor) so hope she can avoid serious hospitalization etc.  I figured I was still just trying to recover from the first night 18-pack but looks like I’m in contention for Omicron.  Neighbors dropping off a rapid test in AM (we’ve burned thru all ours with kids/school) and if I’m feeling well enough I’ll try a local drive thru testing station. Wife has me quarantined in the movie room but I feel like ass.  So now I’m trying to catch up on this variant. Admittedly I got burned out following the other threads closely for the last 18 months.  I’m moderna vaxxed and was due for the booster in Jan.  Preparing thy anus. 

Good luck. We are all counting on you to pull through enough to post the pics of buddy’s wife in yoga pants.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

15 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Maybe.  But the post I was responding to was about to get third shot for kids in a 6 month period.  And that shot is looking like it may only last 3 months...

1 shot every 6 months doesn't seem that crazy of a future prediction.

I, maybe incorrectly, am assuming that the first 2 shots wear off just as fast (6 months) in kids as they do in adults.  If that's the case, the booster only makes sense if that's the route you choose.

I’d also do the regular vax cycle and hang tight…which is easy enough as we’ll know a shitload more about Omicron before they’d even be eligible for a booster and that can inform further movement.

*I have two 12-17s that are vaxxed but am not rushing to boost them

You should consult with their pediatrician and then make the decision you think is right.
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

IMO it’s reasonable to be hesitant with kids, especially ones that have already had Covid. It seems more and more to me that the vaccine is essentially a pre-treatment to lessen the severity of the disease given how the immunity wanes. In this case a disease that you didn’t even know your son contracted. Balance that and the civic duty aspect against the short term risk especially in boys, the unknown long term risk of the vaccine, and the idea of jumping them on this prospective “vaccine treadmill” that is getting fired up and waiting/passing is defensible imo. Also what if omicron is last big wave and it is weaker? 

I don’t think that many people really care what their physician thinks unless the patient was already in agreement with the physician’s opinion or they had no opinion to start with. If you walked into a doctors office against the Covid vaccine, the doctor is not going to spend much time trying to convince you otherwise. They don’t want to talk you into a medical decision.

Good point.  I think Americans have way different conversations with their physicians than the commercials/media would have us believe, or more likely---no conversations with their physicians.  

Wife has her smell and taste back already. My smell is starting to trickle back and I tasted about 75% of my coffee this morning. Kids seem to have skated by and they are unvaxxed due to age. We got it from a small, less than 15 person, family event where everyone was vaxxed, a couple boosted, a couple prior infected. The boosted people never had any symptoms, the prior infected plus Vax have coughs, but they also have been smoking for 3 decades, and those who were symptomatic were just vaxxed, not boosted.

I wanted to hold off on the booster until after the holidays because we had zero plans to be around random people and were only going to be around other vaxed people. I was going to get my booster literally this week, but Omicron didn't care. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that 1/4 of the entire nation is currently in some stage of COVID infection, be it incubation, active, or recovery in the final infectious hours/trace virus that would be detected. It is burning through every social circle in my family's life, right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Had to have relatives drop off tests on our front door because it was a 5 day wait for in person test with no tests on the shelves.

R/Austin has a pinned thread with info about which stores have rapid tests in stock. The CVS near campus, and the one on 5th and Congress, and one in Pflugerville have stock in store, as of one hour ago.

Edited by Willfully Horn