Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

21 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Quick OC note (Petrino-related)
2,113 Views | 35 Replies

Liucci
Staff
So here's where things stand as of today: As you all saw this morning, Bobby Petrino has accepted a spot on Barry Odom's UNLV staff in the OC role. He was ready to make the jump back out of FCS ball and waited to see what A&M and a couple of other SEC programs would do as long as he could. However, I'm here to tell you that if the Ags or another name program in the conference decided Petrino was the guy, Odom and the Rebels would have a very hard time keeping him in Vegas. That's just the way of the world when it comes to the college football hierarchy. So what I'm saying is I wouldn't completely rule this one out, though it's far less likely than it was.

Even then, of course, Petrino was A candidate and not THE candidate, which I said several times last week though those railing against the 'hire' were more interesting in going apoplectic on the boards and social media.

I said last week that the Ags were actively engaged with two other candidates, as well. Those two are still very much in play and are guys I believe Jimbo Fisher could have as soon as he decides to go. However, I think we all understand there's a reason why neither those guys nor Petrino have gotten the call just yet. Why do I say that? Because the Ags aren't sitting around waiting until after the bowl games are played and it's my understanding that the aim is to have this thing wrapped up either before or shortly after next week's Early Signing Day. If one of the guys were leaping off of the page above the others, I think we'd be talking about the next Aggie play-caller by now.

Now, there are a few of you who won't let it go and feel the need to hold whatever I say against me despite the fact that what I'm saying is accurate and you're just railing to rail about something so let me be as clear as I can: Having someone hired by Signing Day (a week or so from now) is the 'aim.' It's a moving target and if Fisher decides to wait things out in search of a better fit or more qualified or celebrated candidate, then that's what he'll do. We've seen Jimbo do it before and, once we pass NSD, the pressure to get something done in an instant is essentially behind us.

With that said, word I received today is that the goal is to wrap this thing up before the holidays and not after and the three names I was told are still out there. Despite today's Petrino news, the Ags are sitting on the same three candidates they were several days ago but my personal opinion is that the head coach is still looking for the perfect fit.

A couple of other things to help provide some clarity:

-Don't waste your time tracking flights. Some of you are just stirring up false hope or random candidates because - in 2022 - Fisher and the Ags aren't flying guys to College Station to risk outing candidates when you can simply get things done via zoom. Believe me or not, I'm simply here trying to save you guys some time and mental energy.

-There are candidates who were under consideration that Fisher could have had and locked but the Ags chose not to go that particular route. We'll see if the Aggies end up in a better situation or not but that list has included the likes of Phil Longo (Wisconsin), Petrino (UNLV) and recent South Carolina hire Dowell Loggins. At least one other sitting SEC OC has made it clear he'd love the job but Fisher and the Ags decided against adding him to the interview list. In a perfect world, I believe we'd be talking about either Garrett Riley or Dan Mullen as the Aggie OC today and I've been pretty clear why neither of those things happened. Beyond that, much of the hand-wringing you're seeing here hasn't been shared across the street at Bright.

Doesn't change the fact that Fisher has to get this one right, however.

And so we wait a little longer and reserve judgement

423F12D8-307D-4611-AC36-E1B4D1648E69.thumb.png.6e6148762aaf9568d8558537dec14a6c.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

TLDR:

Jimbo has 3 really weak tier 3 options at this point, after all of the tier 1 and tier 2 candidates declined. He’s desperately searching for another tier 2 candidate before settling for one of the tier 3 candidates. Jimbo can only wrap it up by accepting a tier 3 now. Otherwise he could be searching for months. 

Rock clapping .gif 

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Here is something fun to lift your holiday spirits.... I have heard a new name that came from the aggy side, someone I trust implicitly as a friend who has ties to the extreme top in Bright. This OC candidate is one of the most innovative minds in college history, someone that showed the ability to change the position he coaches on the fly this past offseason. Someone with SEC chops that stack up with the best of them, and you should see his All Time Commits list...thats right (AND I AM 1000000000% SERIOUS, NOT FUCKING WITH YOU ALL AT ALL)

image.thumb.png.a0b47f69edeb0dc4cc0852b7c1ef074b.png

My buddy sent me this last night, completely unprovoked when he found out that Petrino was taking UNLV instead (LOL). Jimbo has been pushing Craig to get the job at every single turn. He actively fucked up possible hires with Longo, Grimes, and others then got used by Riley as a raise play. The longer this plays out, the longer this lasts, Jimbo may promote Craig. Enjoy!

Shark Tank Confetti GIF by ABC Network

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I don’t know how Fisher is really working this search, but if he’s doing it the way Liucci describes, he’s screwing it up. 

The most important strategic decision a head coach makes is what offense to run. That determines what kind of player he recruits and what kind of defense he needs for complementary football. The head coach picks an offense. 

Next, you hire the OC for fitting that offense. The search Liucci has been describing, where they are considering OCs with offenses as diverse as those of Riley, Grimes, Longo and Herman…that’s a search for a star coach, not a search to deliver a desired offense. Does that make sense to anyone?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Here is something fun to lift your holiday spirits.... I have heard a new name that came from the aggy side, someone I trust implicitly as a friend who has ties to the extreme top in Bright. This OC candidate is one of the most innovative minds in college history, someone that showed the ability to change the position he coaches on the fly this past offseason. Someone with SEC chops that stack up with the best of them, and you should see his All Time Commits list...thats right (AND I AM 1000000000% SERIOUS, NOT FUCKING WITH YOU ALL AT ALL)

Reveal hidden contents

My buddy sent me this last night, completely unprovoked when he found out that Petrino was taking UNLV instead (LOL). Jimbo has been pushing Craig to get the job at every single turn. He actively fucked up possible hires with Longo, Grimes, and others then got used by Riley as a raise play. The longer this plays out, the longer this lasts, Jimbo may promote Craig. Enjoy!

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Reveal hidden contents

Jimbo pulling a play out of Strong's playbook

Edited by Codaxx

20 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Reveal hidden contents

I choose to believe this 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, statsman said:

I don’t know how Fisher is really working this search, but if he’s doing it the way Liucci describes, he’s screwing it up. 

The most important strategic decision a head coach makes is what offense to run. That determines what kind of player he recruits and what kind of defense he needs for complementary football. The head coach picks an offense. 

Next, you hire the OC for fitting that offense. The search Liucci has been describing, where they are considering OCs with offenses as diverse as those of Riley, Grimes, Longo and Herman…that’s a search for a star coach, not a search to deliver a desired offense. Does that make sense to anyone?

I think you’re right that this is the way you’d go about hiring an OC if you were in the first 1-3 years of your tenure and you have that luxury. But when your balls are in a vice you gotta look for a splash and hope for luck. Jimbo is putting his rent money on red. 

5 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

I think you’re right that this is the way you’d go about hiring an OC if you were in the first 1-3 years of your tenure and you have that luxury. But when your balls are in a vice you gotta look for a splash and hope for luck. Jimbo is putting his rent money on red. 

his nuts aren't in a vice! A&M's are, but he is guaranteed 80+ million no matter what.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This Anthony Hill shit is incredible.  There has been absolutely zero evidence, public or private, that Hill is still seriously still considering aggy after his decommitment, yet the lunatics all just penciled him back into their class after the LSU game.  Now, the aggy 995ers are trying to beat around the bush and let them down easy when what they all really want to say is "Jimbo isn't even doing an in-home you fucking morons."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This Anthony Hill shit is incredible.  There has been absolutely zero evidence, public or private, that Hill is still seriously still considering aggy after his decommitment, yet the lunatics all just penciled him back into their class after the LSU game.  Now, the aggy 995ers are trying to beat around the bush and let them down easy when what they all really want to say is "Jimbo isn't even doing an in-home you fucking morons."

To be fair, there probably are conversations still happening, but even if there aren’t the Aggie 9.95’rs are experts at illusions, using terms like “ground to make up”.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Reveal hidden contents

This would explain having 2 unnamed candidates sitting around waiting for a call. I would assume the other name would be Coley or Robinson just to make it seem like they had options other than Craig. 

The day after LSU an aggie friend of mine said he would bet any amount of money that Jimbo was going to give up the offense and hire a top flight OC and for some reason I passed.. 

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Hide contents

cda16da6ed65afbe267748a292a267db.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

To be fair, there probably are conversations still happening, but even if there aren’t the Aggie 9.95’rs are experts at illusions, using terms like “ground to make up”.  

To be fair, they're probably money whipping somebody for information.  Situation is fluid.  

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

His return to aggy was "the worst kept secret in all of college football" according to aggy.

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

North Carolina DB that hit the portal.  Former 5*, but think most have said he hasn't been any good?

He is the second best corner on UNC. Grimes, with a 63.3 PFF grade UNC finished last in the ACC giving up 277 passing yards and 13 out of 14 in yards per attempt. UNC finished 111th in pts per drive in the nation.

Edited by Codaxx

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Why did Longo leave NC? Was Mack giving him a soft exit? I thought their offense wasn’t bad this year. 

Yeah, UNC fans are pretty happy to see the back of him. Almost exactly the same trajectory he had at Ole Miss - puts up huge numbers against bad teams, develops QBs, completely falls apart in big games or in clutch moments.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah, UNC fans are pretty happy to see the back of him. Almost exactly the same trajectory he had at Ole Miss - puts up huge numbers against bad teams, develops QBs, completely falls apart in big games or in clutch moments.

Mack Brown fucking LOVES those kinds of OCs!