Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Remember when Nick Starkel went from almost committing to Yale, to Texas A&M, to Arkansas, to San Jose State (and actually winning a Mountain West title there)? It was like human evolution in reverse.

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Starkle Motion 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

Fun fact: as things currently stand, when you consider the last two 247 scores for their respective classes, UT is now significantly higher than the Ags:

Texas

2022 - 289.04

2023 - 294.53

Average - 291.79

A&M

2022 - 333.13

2023 - 236.05

Average - 284.59

That’s without even taking into account the fact that they have already lost two five stars and several four stars to the portal from 2022. It’s incredible to see how little they are going to take advantage of the best class of all time. 

Edited by UncleSonny

12 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Fun fact: as things currently stand, when you consider the last two 247 scores for their respective classes, UT is now significantly higher than the Ags:

Texas

2022 - 289.04

2023 - 294.53

Average - 291.79

A&M

2022 - 333.13

2023 - 236.05

Average - 284.59

That’s without even taking into account the fact that they have already lost two five stars and several four stars to the portal from 2022. It’s incredible to see how little they are going to take advantage of the best class of all time. 

And if you take into account that their '21 has been a failure of a class that  finished 9th and only has 1 real contributor to date. 

14 minutes ago, Yesh said:

Marquis Groves-Killebrew to the portal

The beginning of portaling out now that semester is over.

14 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Good for the kid, but this reminds me of Herman and Hand grasping at straws after our top choices fell through. They went scrambling trying to offer late and flip kids.. Ended up with Max Merrill 

Are they expecting to lose an OL commit?  Or just adding more bread?

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Honestly that was coming from day one. Dude exploded his ACL in high school and the rankings never adjusted and aggy took him pretty much explicitly to get the #1 class ever ranking bump.

Want to know who didn't see it coming?  🙂

image.thumb.png.20228e97b3a9ce1d90db2a10e9b44f5d.png

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I liken it to the scenario where a key employee leaves an org and then an exodus follows him/her to their new gig. A phenomenon I’ve experienced a few times in getting to see it is that as each additional person leaves, those viewed as allied with that group who are still employed at the first place become more and more valuable to management from a retention perspective. Hicks, Rogers, the other DB and that aggie-looking OL from NJ are all suddenly extremely valuable. I think ATM will do whatever it takes to retain those guys. Whatever it takes. 

That said, yeah, the folks I know think that there is legit risk on the Hicks commitment, and not just from Oregon. If he’s in College Station this weekend, I would assume he’s locked up though. 

who else is still really in on that recruitment? OU, Oregon, and Miami maybe? As much as I would like to wishcast UT on that list it just never seemed like it was going to happen

3 minutes ago, Noozak said:

who else is still really in on that recruitment? OU, Oregon, and Miami maybe? As much as I would like to wishcast UT on that list it just never seemed like it was going to happen

Davis is pretty ambivalent on him. Sort of a "We'll take you if you're really excited about it" vibe.

33 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

There is only one name who came save this class and the future of the gomers. A perfect match for dumbo and his personality. Picture if you can him standing on the sidelines next to dumbo......................Mangino :)

Mangino would ironically have too much self respect to associate himself with Jimbo.

Edited by TexasRenegade
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Leanderman said:

There is only one name who came save this class and the future of the gomers. A perfect match for dumbo and his personality. Picture if you can him standing on the sidelines next to dumbo......................Mangino :)

I mean, Mangino is a hell of a football coach and a total and complete asshole, so he’s only half way acceptable for Jimbo. 

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, Mangino is a hell of a football coach and a total and complete asshole, so he’s only half way acceptable for Jimbo. 

Mangino would honestly be about the best hire Jimbo could make. Negative press be damned, that dude can flat run an offense.

Let’s play armchair GM here, how would you unfuck aggy’s roster management issues?

Personally, I would load up on grad transfer rentals. They either pan right away or they’re gone in a year. And then drop crazy ass bags to instate only 2024 dudes, and try to sign 35.

Loading up on 3 star bread in 2023 creates a 4-5 year problem. And I’m here for it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Let’s play armchair GM here, how would you unfuck aggy’s roster management issues?

Personally, I would load up on grad transfer rentals. They either pan right away or they’re gone in a year. And then drop crazy ass bags to instate only 2024 dudes, and try to sign 35.

Loading up on 3 star bread in 2023 creates a 4-5 year problem. And I’m here for it.

"Fix" can have a lot of different meanings. Personally, I would try to "fix" things by really loading up on 2 dozen kickers, punters, and long snappers. 

But yeah, you're right. Their only hope now is pulling a LOT of guys out of the portal - and I doubt they'll be able to pull enough quality to do much. 

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I have first hand knowledge of their plan. Leaked from someone on the inside.

To paraphrase:

We need to move quickly in the spring portal.  Lots of sip bread jumping ship soon after the class and portal studs they've brought in. I'm tired of the same old peters and pals. 

Source: 

sheep-free-thinker.gif.4e8c1d24fc92d840992d876551234a95.gif

6 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Holy crap!  As undesirable as aggy is right now, there must be some temptation to join on just to have zero competition for playing time and get 80 snaps a game.  

I mean, it is the perfect formula for a perpetual 8-4 ceiling, is it not?

8 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

They have a thread now explaining how the portal should be open every week of the year with no limits, if they want to transfer 14 times so be it.  Good lord they are desperate to be able to buy players. 

The portal has been working swimmingly for them.  By my count, E Stewart would have only portaled 4x this season in that scenario.   

21 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Texas

2022 - 289.04

2023 - 294.53

Average - 291.79

A&M

2022 - 333.13

2023 - 236.05

Average - 284.59

What’s their 2022 total after the current defections?