So, am I getting another $3900 check? Should I?

Wulaw Horn

16 minutes ago, Foosters said:

So trickle down doesn't work in this particular instance?

Curious.

Too rich for a stimulus but too poor to benefit from the GOP tax scam.  So you get nothing at all  

Party of the working man, indeed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So I fully expected the typical partisan split by now, but so far I’m still seeing condemnation from all sides on the shit Mitch is pulling. Am I missing something or is Mitch actually fucking this up?

Mitch is fucking it up, and he ran his mouth with the "rich friends" nonsense, when a lot of lower-/middle-class Republicans could easily use that money.

And it's not playing well in Georgia at all, and it's giving ammunition to Ossoff and Warnock.

Mitch should have kept his mouth shut and just poison-pilled it, but nope, he had to give everybody a juicy soundbite showing how out-of-touch he is with typical Americans.

I'm still really surprised that Mitch has drawn a line in the sand on this, when we are less than a week from the Georgia runoff elections, elections that are happening in part because the state flipped, and Trump is doing everything he can to trash Republican officials Georgia, up to and including inventing non-existent brothers with jobs in Jina.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Exhibit 69: Republicans know nothing about economics.  

Fucking yankee carpetbagger with his yankee BBQ. Saying he has a bird brain is an insult to birds.

f7YqNoZ.gif&f=1&nofb=1

This is too charitable to Cornyn, assuming he’s ignorant.

He’s not ignorant, he’s full of shit. He’s not opposed to giving money to people with means, he’s opposed to giving money to people without means because he thinks they should have to risk their lives to work for subsistence wages from the people who actually deserve help from the government.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Mitch is fucking it up, and he ran his mouth with the "rich friends" nonsense, when a lot of lower-/middle-class Republicans could easily use that money.

And it's not playing well in Georgia at all, and it's giving ammunition to Ossoff and Warnock.

Mitch should have kept his mouth shut and just poison-pilled it, but nope, he had to give everybody a juicy soundbite showing how out-of-touch he is with typical Americans.

I'm still really surprised that Mitch has drawn a line in the sand on this, when we are less than a week from the Georgia runoff elections, elections that are happening in part because the state flipped, and Trump is doing everything he can to trash Republican officials Georgia, up to and including inventing non-existent brothers with jobs in Jina.

The checks would stimulate the economy. Giving Biden something decent to start with.  Stock market would be up, consumer confidence up with people getting $2k to spend, profits for stores

No money = evictions, credit problems, poverty, job losses = shittier economy. 

All they care about is hobbling Biden’s presidency from the start.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

This is too charitable to Cornyn, assuming he’s ignorant.

He’s not ignorant, he’s full of shit. He’s not opposed to giving money to people with means, he’s opposed to giving money to people without means because he thinks they should have to risk their lives to work for subsistence wages from the people who actually deserve help from the government.

He's a little ignorant.  Sure, he thinks it's funny to stick it to the poor and lower-class, the proverbial "fuck you pay me" or "fuck you I've got mine" mindset.

And it shows just how much the GOP doesn't even bother pretending to be the party of Christians.

The thing is, he's really fucking ignorant about how many Texans and Texas businesses are suffering, and that the whole point of this is to stimulate the economy - those small businesses, restaurants, etc., that are hanging on by a thread could use a bunch of customers with stimulus checks.  Their employees could use the checks.  GOP is overseeing some seriously long-term damage to the economy, but they'll get to blame it on Biden.

I'm hoping that whoever is running for various state officers in two years, is collecting all of these little soundbites to use against Republicans.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

He's a little ignorant.  Sure, he thinks it's funny to stick it to the poor and lower-class, the proverbial "fuck you pay me" or "fuck you I've got mine" mindset.

And it shows just how much the GOP doesn't even bother pretending to be the party of Christians.

The thing is, he's really fucking ignorant about how many Texans and Texas businesses are suffering, and that the whole point of this is to stimulate the economy - those small businesses, restaurants, etc., that are hanging on by a thread could use a bunch of customers with stimulus checks.  Their employees could use the checks.  GOP is overseeing some seriously long-term damage to the economy, but they'll get to blame it on Biden.

I'm hoping that whoever is running for various state officers in two years, is collecting all of these little soundbites to use against Republicans.

He’s not ignorant that businesses are suffering. He thinks they should fail and his wealthy friends should be able to acquire their assets for close to nothing.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

A response like that is why I had mentioned in an earlier post that there was something outside of just having polio that happened to McConnell as a kid that shaped the person he is. It is sad that he has spent a lifetime treating so many people with so little dignity while succeeding at making life unnecessarily hard for millions because he has a desire to bring punishment to others.

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Who donates to him?  With whom does he associate?   

9 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

A response like that is why I had mentioned in an earlier post that there was something outside of just having polio that happened to McConnell as a kid that shaped the person he is. It is sad that he has spent a lifetime treating so many people with so little dignity while succeeding at making life unnecessarily hard for millions because he has a desire to bring punishment to others.

I'd agree. Would make for interesting reading because he's been in office for so long. People don't change unless circumstances force them to, and he's been fairly adept at adhering himself to power.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

No, but really, I appreciate the vulnerability as it pertains to our relationship building here. Brene Brown would be proud.

My income has consistently been upper middle class. Sometimes, for a few minutes, that meant upper middle class in the US. Other times, somewhat longer times, it meant upper middle class in Guatemala, or perhaps Zimbabwe.

The essential thing is to remember that the workers are looking up to us for reassurance and a certain amount of structure.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I was led to believe everybody on Surly is rich and bangs 10's. Surely nobody qualifies among these parts!

Most of the guys here are banging 8s, and 9s (Which are East Texas 10s), and most of us probably have tiny dicks, like really tiny, 6-inches or less tiny.

Sorry, but starting the new year off with a little honesty.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

No, but really, I appreciate the vulnerability as it pertains to our relationship building here. Brene Brown would be proud.

tumblr_nk2noqM5Tv1qzghgbo1_500.gif&f=1&n

no, but seriously, just advance an idea for consideration. Embrace your vulnerability knowing there are no guarantees. 

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Got our stimulus about an hour ago.

Unexpected way to start the New Year.

Me too.  I don't know why, but I thought it was $600 per family.  I was pretty surprised that it was 4 times that.  Is it the same way with the proposed $2000? That's per person in the household?  If so, I don't know... I like money, and won't give it back, but we don't need that.

16 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Me too.  I don't know why, but I thought it was $600 per family.  I was pretty surprised that it was 4 times that.  Is it the same way with the proposed $2000? That's per person in the household?  If so, I don't know... I like money, and won't give it back, but we don't need that.

$2,000 per adult, $600 per dependent, so $5,200 for family of four.   A shitload of people do need it.  Just not an easy way to determine who.

Plus, it’s meant to stimulate the economy, hence stimulus.  Get people out spending money at stores and such.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

$2,000 per adult, $600 per dependent, so $5,200 for family of four.   A shitload of people do need it.  Just not an easy way to determine who.

Plus, it’s meant to stimulate the economy, hence stimulus.  Get people out spending money at stores and such.  

Thanks. Was wondering about that. So $5800 for my family of 5 vs $3000 then. 
I, too, like money so I’m not giving it back. But yeah- I’ve probably marginally been an economic winner from Covid so this being touted as Covid relief shouldn’t hit me. Economic stimulus?  Sure- we will spend that money inside of 3 months I can almost guarantee. I’d imagine most of our fellow Americans will do the same. 
As I posted in the OP- it seems like we don’t have any inflation problems so this probably isn’t a massive issue, but who the hell knows. 
I thought PPP round one was great- round 2 makes sense bc it’s going to businesses with 25% revenue hit- but I guess I’d prefer targeted direct payments to people hurting over broad stimulus. 
that’s not an argument from me being a macro economic expert and more an argument from an American citizen saying I’d prefer we do whatever we can to shore up people hurting directly bc of the pandemic as opposed to a little to (mostly) everyone. I have no idea what the downstream benefits and detriments will be to this though. 

I like money too, but like the rest of the Surly 1% folks I don't really need it.

So, we've already identified a number of places we can send it (jobless folks, medical care for undocumented workers, educational support for kids, that kind of thing). We'll let our daughters help us decide where it goes, as we traditionally do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 1/1/2021 at 12:03 PM, atomheartbevo said:

income limits are the answer. the worst that could happen is some families that are doing marginally well will now be doing a little better. use the money to pay off some debt, or repair the car, or get a new roof. all of these things boost the economy and create more money circulation. I don't understand why this is so difficult

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2