Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust

RGBIII

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

I'm from 806, and I don't give a shit. You know that area codes were assigned based on how long it'd take to dial them on the rotary phone? That's why NYC gets 212, Los Angeles gets 213, Austin gets 512, and Amarillo gets 806. Try dialing 806 on a rotary phone, I dare ya.

And notice I didn't mention Lubbock. Because Lubbock doesn't count, not even to people from Amarillo.

Why?  Only ever had to dial area codes for a long distance call. 

speaking of, are you happy with your long distance rates and service?  MCI has a variety of plans to fit your needs. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ousux said:

No love for the 817? Had no idea we had Dallas' code after WWII..

Edit- which cooincidentally was McGuires area code until about 2 weeks ago.

DFW was 214, still in dallas today.  They sure as shit didn’t give Texarkana the short number.  

212 NY, 213 LA, 214 DFW, 413 Chicago, 215 Philly, 313 Detroit, 413 Boston…

certainly a pattern there.  

1 hour ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

25% of the state was 512 until late 80s I'm guessing. Austin to the valley was all 512 for years.

1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Austin has been in the 512 area code since area codes were established in post-WWII era.  512 used to cover most of South Texas.

North American Numbering Plan NPA map BTM 1947.png

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Nope

1 hour ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

He gets a pass on this one. Unless the KY is for jelly and not Kentucky.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

huh? its been 512 forever...I mean THE "512"

56 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

No. I was in Austin in late 80s, and it was 512 then.

Got it, got it. Lived in Corpus and it switched to 361, so as a wee lad the message was that Austin "took it". Apologies.

"Wow the Ewers thread has jumped quite a few pages on the day of his visit! He must've committed!!... Nope, area code talk."

Edited by KYHorn
different code
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Got it, got it. Lived in Corpus and it switched to 361, so as a wee lad the message was that Austin "took it". Apologies.

"Wow the Ewers thread has jumped quite a few pages on the day of his visit! He must've committed!!... Nope, zipcode talk."

Area code talk. Night crew will shift over to zip code talk. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I always thought it was stupid when Reggie Bush put his area code under his eyes. There's nothing special about coming from an area code with a few million people in it. Now, a zip code would be much more granular and relate more to a neighborhood--it would really give a sense of place--if anyone ever knew zip codes.

Confession: When I was a kid I knew the Huntsville zip code because 77340 spelled 0hELL when you turned one of those old calculators upside down. Yes, I was a rebellious child.

Just now, jetsfan76 said:

The area codes with low numbers were given to the most populated cities back when we had rotary phones. Thus, 212 NY, 213 LA, etc. SA was also 512 back in the '80s

Coincidentally, that's when the average weight of San Antonio women was only 512 pounds.

Charles Barkley Smile GIF by NBA

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

DFW was 214, still in dallas today.  They sure as shit didn’t give Texarkana the short number.  

212 NY, 213 LA, 214 DFW, 413 Chicago, 215 Philly, 313 Detroit, 413 Boston…

certainly a pattern there.  

Why did Houston get boned? 

• RGBIII changed the title to Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust