80s club scene in Houston

OWLVIS

I DJ'd  at Confetti ,Ocean club and lizard lounge. Got some great stories of Jim Kelly taking a swing at me@ 6400 Kiki Diayla actually  stepped between us,

Then the shark feeding at lizard lounge hark feeding lizard lounge ,sexual fee for all at confetti more celebrity sightings at ocean club

even had a very small consequential part and the concept for the eliminator  album.

I think the 80s club scene in Houston was a last time there was a really subversive nightlife in Texas

sure some of y'all have stories

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, OWLVIS said:

I think the 80s club scene in Houston was a last time there was a really subversive nightlife in Texas

Pretty bold statement. I'd invite you to spend some time at rap shows during SXSW if you really beleive this. And not the headliner ones that you need a badge to enter. 

2 minutes ago, mchookem said:

Numbers regular here. no celebrities, just beats and strobes. and drugs. lots of drugs. 

Should be a fucking disclaimer on that place... Went in rolling one night with some friends who said it would be "interesting." I left after the fish heads song. /csb

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, OWLVIS said:

I DJ'd  at Confetti ,Ocean club and lizard lounge. Got some great stories of Jim Kelly taking a swing at me@ 6400 Kiki Diayla actually  stepped between us,

Then the shark feeding at lizard lounge hark feeding lizard lounge ,sexual fee for all at confetti more celebrity sightings at ocean club

even had a very small consequential part and the concept for the eliminator  album.

this is your brain on drugs 80s GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Nickel beers at Power Tools

Ladies nights at Wild West always crazy

Yucatan Liquor Stand - used to see Warren Moon there frequently.  He had several blonde nieces he enjoyed spending time with 

Emo's had that pool...no telling what was down there 

Great concerts at #s

Got into fights every time we ended up at Ocean Club

Great memories...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Doesn’t  meeting Janis Joplin at Threadgill’s original gas station dump count?

Hey man don’t get me wrong. That’s an awesome story. I just mean there’s always people in there 20s getting blitzed out of their minds on drugs and partying their faces off. That’s not an exclusive pastime for any generation. 

9 hours ago, OWLVIS said:

Same era, basically, but Starck Club would like a word.

And yeah, it's my understanding that a lot of "urban" type clubs today are a lot like strip clubs without rules.  Assuming "subversive" means debauched.

Edited by TwiceHorn

You can go ahead and extend that to clubs in general. The shit we used to do in vegas clubs was outlandish and nobody gave a fuck. One of my friends had a girls tits out and was  motorboating her right at our table in Tryst. And of course there’s always the ever popular finger bang on the dance floor. And don’t get me started on the shit that goes on at the pool parties.

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

A friend of mine was part owner of Power Tools. That place was as subversive as it gets. I don’t think they’d let you in if you weren’t rolling. 

That place was sketchy as fuck but that was what made it fun. Back then weapons weren't as common, just a matter of being able to handle your business if shit went sideways.

1 hour ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

You can go ahead and extend that to clubs in general. The shit we used to do in vegas clubs was outlandish and nobody gave a fuck. One of my friends had a girls tits out and was  motorboating her right at our table in Tryst. And of course there’s always the ever popular finger bang on the dance floor. And don’t get me started on the shit that goes on at the pool parties.

Did all that plus getting a handy from this UT Zeta in a Monterrey night club in 1961... got kicked out though. Damn prudes.

7DC87517-DBC4-48EF-8EB8-638763232B41.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, OWLVIS said:

You never left that club in the 80s.  We are all some kind of Jacobs Ladderesque hallucination that you are having.  You are still laying on the floor of that club, as the paramedics work on you.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

One of my friends had a girls tits out and was  motorboating her right at our table in Tryst. And of course there’s always the ever popular finger bang on the dance floor. And don’t get me started on the shit that goes on at the pool parties.

I did all of this and more in Matamoros during Spring Break in the mid 90's.

Remember when Ecstasy was still legal and we were all at NRG on Shepherd.  Then Xcess in Windsor Plaza and Homage in what is now kinda called Uptown.  

Specific details outside of that are hazy.

That Richmond corridor was pretty nice with LL, Sam’s Boat, YLS, etc. But that feels like a few years later.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

A friend of mine was part owner of Power Tools. That place was as subversive as it gets. I don’t think they’d let you in if you weren’t rolling. 

Haha, first place I thought of when reading OP.  I rolled through there a couple of times.  It was in a basement IIRC.  And there were always some bizzaro characters handling front door duties, theme nights, etc.  

8 hours ago, F250 said:

I did all of this and more in Matamoros during Spring Break in the mid 90's.

Did you ever get approached by somebody offering you $100 - $200  to help them find college kids to take across the border?  Either getting the college kids drunk or knocking them out with something in their drinks?  Probably before your time, this was like around 89-94.

If you took a week off from school and worked hard enough over that week and spring break, you'd have enough to buy an IROC-Z back then. 

And then about half-a-dozen vehicles later, here in 2020, you're bitter as shit that you didn't keep and take good care of that Camaro, because if you had kept it in mint condition, you'd be driving a $75,000 sports car around.

• Like 1

That place was sketchy as fuck but that was what made it fun. Back then weapons weren't as common, just a matter of being able to handle your business if shit went sideways.
Which one of you offered me free brownies laced with god knows what under the freeway outside power tools summer of 91. Yes, sketchy as fuck.

I'm more late 80s/early 90s, but I remember our rotation being: 6400, Club Etc, Numbers, Rich's, DV8, Detour, Yucatan Liquor Stand, Kaboom, Tantra, Power Tools, Red Square, Blue Planet, Lizard Lounge, Crystal, Club Some. I'm sure there are several I'm not remembering. 

Live music clubs - The Axiom, Fitzgerald's, The Vatican/Abyss, Numbers, Emo's, Cardi's, Pik n Pak, Cabaret Voltaire, Rockefellers, Bon Ton Room/Mary Jane's/Walter's, Music Hall, Tower Theater. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Did you ever get approached by somebody offering you $100 - $200  to help them find college kids to take across the border?  Either getting the college kids drunk or knocking them out with something in their drinks?  Probably before your time, this was like around 89-94.

If you took a week off from school and worked hard enough over that week and spring break, you'd have enough to buy an IROC-Z back then. 

And then about half-a-dozen vehicles later, here in 2020, you're bitter as shit that you didn't keep and take good care of that Camaro, because if you had kept it in mint condition, you'd be driving a $75,000 sports car around.

oddly specific...what color IROC did you buy?

Exactly. My only point was deviant behavior in clubs is a proud and long standing American tradition not limited to one decade. 

Thank you gentlemen for your fine work and pleasant anecdotes. 
You have a point but just remember, back in the 80's when you went up to the bar to get a shot, you could also order a few tabs of xtc legally

4 hours ago, deadshank said:

I guess I never saw any of you prissy city boys down at Blanco's on Friday nights.

Hope you had fun wearing your all black zoot suits and smoking clove cigarettes with your boyfriends.

If that’s whats the chicks wanted, that’s what’s I did.

I hope you liked two-steppin with the Marlboro Man and the cowboy from the Village People down at the Brokeback. 

Actually, a pack of clove cigarettes got me laid in 1985 or so by a hot chick who turned out to be 2 years older than me - a pretty big age gap at that point in my life.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1