No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

10 hours ago, NoName said:

conference titles? sure. 15 in the last 23 years.

but since Switzer left OU in 88, Texas and OU have the same number of national championships.

since 2000, Texas and OU have the same number of national championships. that includes the worst decade in the history of Texas football. that includes, by winning % 3 of the worst 7 coaches in Texas history. that includes, by winning %, 2 of the 3 worst coaches in Texas history (Strong and Sark)

OU is absolutely not Ohio State, who haven't missed on hiring a head coach since like 1946 when they hired a guy who was there for one year and still won 55% of his games. literally, since 1900 that's their worst full time coach.

here is OU since Switzer left:

• Gary Gibbs, 62.5%
  • Schnellenbarger, 50%
  • John Blake, 35.3%
  • Stoops, 79.8%
  • Lincoln Riley, 84.6% (higher than Switzer, higher than Bud Wilkinson
  • Brett Venables, 46.1% --> for comparison, Charlie Strong was at 44.4%.

Venables is much closer to John Blake than he is Bob Stoops. next year is make or break for him, and personally i have little faith in him not being who he showed everyone he was last year.

now, does OU have a ton of institutional buy in ? yes. do they have a great AD? absolutely. but let's not act like they have some institutional long level of success in hiring great coaches and only great coaches.

Fuck OU

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

On 2/27/2023 at 7:57 AM, NoName said:

conference titles? sure. 15 in the last 23 years.

but since Switzer left OU in 88, Texas and OU have the same number of national championships.

since 2000, Texas and OU have the same number of national championships. that includes the worst decade in the history of Texas football. that includes, by winning % 3 of the worst 7 coaches in Texas history. that includes, by winning %, 2 of the 3 worst coaches in Texas history (Strong and Sark)

OU is absolutely not Ohio State, who haven't missed on hiring a head coach since like 1946 when they hired a guy who was there for one year and still won 55% of his games. literally, since 1900 that's their worst full time coach.

here is OU since Switzer left:

• Gary Gibbs, 62.5%
  • Schnellenbarger, 50%
  • John Blake, 35.3%
  • Stoops, 79.8%
  • Lincoln Riley, 84.6% (higher than Switzer, higher than Bud Wilkinson
  • Brett Venables, 46.1% --> for comparison, Charlie Strong was at 44.4%.

Venables is much closer to John Blake than he is Bob Stoops. next year is make or break for him, and personally i have little faith in him not being who he showed everyone he was last year.

now, does OU have a ton of institutional buy in ? yes. do they have a great AD? absolutely. but let's not act like they have some institutional long level of success in hiring great coaches and only great coaches.

Very good points. You’re right about the National Championship thing, and I didn’t think out the coaching timeline I didn’t think that far into it. The obvious argument is number of trips to the NC, but nobody remembers the loser haha. Venables doesn’t seem like he’s going to be the answer, I never got the feeling that he was HC material. He reminds me a little of Coach O. He may have a random amazing year because of the recruits and the coaches around him, but he’ll end up crashing it into the ground. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 8:20 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

I forget the exact number, but if we used the Bama (pre-2009)/USC/Aggy method we could claim multiple other titles. 

We could claim 9 the Bama/USC/aggy way, but UT doesn't.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/How-many-national-titles-can-the-Texas-Longhorns-claim-28834307/

Edited by DFW Horn

• 3 weeks later...
your vacations kinda suck don't they?

kidding.... just kidding

I mean, sorta because I don’t like travel. It was just a week off of work that I had planned while the kids were out of school so I could hang out with them and get some “spring” cleaning done. Mother Nature fucked me on that.

• 2 months later...

Some of you surly lawyers need to get on this, fast. Contact family and Tech. This sort of name usage, particularly in the circumstances, pretty much has to be illegal unless family signs off on it. Could be a pretty nice payday - god nose Tech fucking well owes it.

• Hook 'Em 2

Does Craig James also get inducted into the hall of fame too for killing five hookers while at SMU?

It's crazy because Craig James killed five hookers at SMU

How does someone like Craig James kill five hookers at SMU?

Craig James Killed Five Hookers at SMU

unreal

Craig James Killed Five Hookers at SMU

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=craig+james+killed+five+hookers+at+smu

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Please tell me Tech at least reached out and got the blessing of Leaches widow/family on this, last I recall reading he was still not on great terms with Tech after how he was let go.

CJK5H

What a slap to the face. Have to wait for Leach to die before doing that because he'd say hell no if he were still alive.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, n64ra said:

What a slap to the face. Have to wait for Leach to die before doing that because he'd say hell no if he were still alive.

Not sure I agree with this.  Of course we will never know if Leach would have declined,   but GOBs aside, Leach is still very much beloved and respected by Tech fans.  There’s a significant rift that exists within our fan base to this day because of continued support of TSO.  Mike was absolutely aware of those feelings.

Mike would likely have quipped something about having to die to get in or whatever.

Edited by slorch

46 minutes ago, slorch said:

Not sure I agree with this.  Of course we will never know if Leach would have declined,   but GOBs aside, Leach is still very much beloved and respected by Tech fans.  There’s a significant rift that exists within our fan base to this day because of continued support of TSO.  Mike was absolutely aware of those feelings.

Mike would likely have quipped something about having to die to get in or whatever.

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/college-sports/2022/mike-leach-records-lawsuits-1234698384/

Pretty sure I have a good idea what Mike Leach, who was willing to rack up $20k-30k in legal fees a month with Wayne Dolcefino fighting open records lawsuits against Texas Tech, would have said to anyone at Texas Tech about accepting anything other than a big check and an apology:

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Hopefully they pay his family for the 2009 season.... but I doubt it. Judas Tech, they will forever live in damnation for betraying their savior.

He was paid for the 2009 season, but fired the day before he was eligible for an $800k bonus, which he had by all measures except being employed that day, earned..

Edited by slorch

I have a couple of friends/colleagues whose families are among those who still tell themselves good riddance. They use his never disclosed officially but often speculated private life to tell themselves that “he had to go.”

edit families who were in the crowd that ran him off

Edited by Magus Ossis

49 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Since the issue was not paying the Pirate a bonus, that ssems like a school rather than donor issue.  @slorch, other Techsters how did you see this?

It was handled as badly as possibly, due to short-sightedness and infantile leadership styles.  Donors were involved, but they were selfish and fucked-up donors who valued access to golf games and barbecues more than winning.

It still reflects negatively on Tech.  It was trumped up bullshit that never should have seen the light of day.  Leach offended their sensibilities by demanding to be paid market value.  They were just looking for an excuse, and that came in the form of shithead Adam James/ Craig James family.

22 hours ago, slorch said:

He was paid for the 2009 season, but fired the day before he was eligible for an $800k bonus, which he had by all measures except being employed that day, earned..

And my understanding is his contract was guaranteed, so he should have gotten the bonus….but they used the fake James BS to fire for cause and hence not have to pay.   Which was later shown that they knew was BS.

Then Tech went down the sovereign immunity path of it doesn’t matter that we violated the contract and law, you can’t sue us unless we let you.

15 hours ago, slorch said:

It was trumped up bullshit that never should have seen the light of day.  Leach offended their sensibilities by demanding to be paid market value.  They were just looking for an excuse, and that came in the form of shithead Adam James/ Craig James family.

And, isn’t the trumped up bullshit James “firing for cause” excuse the reason they still owe him part of his contract? 

18 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

They use his never disclosed officially but often speculated private life to tell themselves that “he had to go.”

I must have missed something. Anyone, please enlighten me. What part of Coach’s private life justified these assholes ending his job?

1 hour ago, Bama Llama said:

I must have missed something. Anyone, please enlighten me. What part of Coach’s private life justified these assholes ending his job?

I won’t dignify the cruelty by going through it, but it basically involves alcohol. Mike RIP; we miss you!

Of course, Mike could have waited a day, and therefore still qualify for the bonus due to still being employed instead of taking Tech to court over being suspended - not fired - suspended  - which occurred first and people conveniently forget happened.

There was dumbassery by all parties involved.

Edited by BluTechsan

39 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

Of course, Mike could have waited a day, and therefore still qualify for the bonus due to still being employed instead of taking Tech to court over being suspended - not fired - suspended  - which occurred first and people conveniently forget happened.

There was dumbassery by all parties involved.

It wasn’t a both sides issue, and I’ve yet to see a single person that “forgets” Leach was suspended first. What people do forget to use is the word “wrongfully.” As in “Mike Leach was wrongfully suspended and subsequently wrongfully fired.” Yes, there are certain defenders of the faith in Kent Hance and Craig James’ provably false make believe and pretend bedtime stories that do indeed forget to use that word. But that shouldn’t surprise anyone. Sports bring out the stupid in everyone. After all, there are still people who believe in Mike Nifong.

40 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

It wasn’t a both sides issue, and I’ve yet to see a single person that “forgets” Leach was suspended first. What people do forget to use is the word “wrongfully.” As in “Mike Leach was wrongfully suspended and subsequently wrongfully fired.” Yes, there are certain defenders of the faith in Kent Hance and Craig James’ provably false make believe and pretend bedtime stories that do indeed forget to use that word. But that shouldn’t surprise anyone. Sports bring out the stupid in everyone. After all, there are still people who believe in Mike Nifong.

Ok, perhaps no one has forgotten.

But I can garrandamntee you that 14 years later there are folks that have no clue whatsoever about the suspension

1 minute ago, BluTechsan said:

Ok, perhaps no one has forgotten.

But I can garrandamntee you that 14 years later there are folks that have no clue whatsoever about the suspension

This is no doubt true in our world of widespread ignorance. But they were never going to pay Leach. To suggest otherwise is fatuous at best. Leach underestimated how petty and self destructive (and destructive of what they professed to defend) the people who ostensibly want the best for Tech were willing to be. He may have been happier in the final analysis; he received better treatment elsewhere once he got back into coaching.

2 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

This is no doubt true in our world of widespread ignorance. But they were never going to pay Leach. To suggest otherwise is fatuous at best. Leach underestimated how petty and self destructive (and destructive of what they professed to defend) the people who ostensibly want the best for Tech were willing to be. He may have been happier in the final analysis; he received better treatment elsewhere once he got back into coaching.

Things had soured, no doubt.

But I cannot say with certainty that had he served the suspension that a firing would still have occurred.