Holy Shit: President John Tyler's grandson just died

Gil Bang

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Reminds me of hearing the last civil war veteran widow died. It was 2003. He married a young woman very late in life. 

2008. What you described was not uncommon. Dirt poor women, typically still teenagers, would find an old civil war veteran and claim a widower’s pension when he kicked the bucket a few years later.

The last daughter collecting a civil war pension died earlier this year.

Weird facts about Tyler's presidency: 

-he assumed the presidency after Harrison's death 31 days into his term

- his first wife died early in his term and he married his second wife who was 30 years younger than him

- Texas annexation treaty failed in June 1844 but a joint resolution passed in February 1845 with some additional political pressure by incoming President Polk, won the election in December 1844 but wasn't inaugurated until March 1845. Texas and Florida gain statehood within days of each other.  (Probably some historians on here that may refute or argue some of these points,, don't shoot the messenger )

https://millercenter.org/president/john-tyler/key-events

19 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

- his first wife died early in his term and he married his second wife who was 30 years younger than him

- Texas annexation treaty failed in June 1844 but a joint resolution passed in February 1845 with some additional political pressure by incoming President Polk, won the election in December 1844 but wasn't inaugurated until March 1845. Texas and Florida gain statehood within days of each other.  (Probably some historians on here that may refute or argue some of these points,, don't shoot the messenger )

Some would argue the annexation of Texas was illegal. Or course, i believe the good people of the Kingdom of Hawaii would like to laugh in their face and tell them to stfu

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

UT probably wouldn’t have the advantage of the massive PUF if Texas had become a State under the original treaty rather than the joint resolution.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To keep their 70 year generation gap streak alive, he or his brother should have talked some 20 year old woman into having a kid.  Then in 2100, some 80-year old would be talking about how President Tyler was his great-granddad.

The day is still young.

• Hook 'Em 2

I have a picture of my grandfather and his two brothers standing behind their great grandfather taken sometime in the 1920’s when the great grandfather was over 100. Always was weird to me that I knew a guy who knew a guy that was born in the 1820’s. 

4 hours ago, blacklab said:

I have a picture of my grandfather and his two brothers standing behind their great grandfather taken sometime in the 1920’s when the great grandfather was over 100. Always was weird to me that I knew a guy who knew a guy that was born in the 1820’s. 

spacer.png

“Meet the man who met Andy Griffith!”

• Like 1

Paternal g-pa was born in 1866 somewhere around Evant, TX. G-ma was born in Missouri but was raised in part by some relative of the family who was a travelling bible salesman and riverboat gambler. She lived for a while in the Indian territory of Oklahoma with the natives. So, my dad was the 10th child of these two up and coming sharecroppers and was raised with their morals, social graces and understanding of how to behave. He then passed these on to me, a child of the 1960's and the 5th child in the brood. There was conflict. 

• Like 1

My grandmother was born in 1898.  About 50 years ago she wrote down stories about growing up in north Texas at the turn of the century.  In one story, she, her older sister, and her father were taking the wagon into town for supplies.  On the way, they met her cousin, her uncle, and the sheriff on the way to get a local boy for a shotgun wedding.  She wrote that her sister explained to her what had happened.

1 hour ago, 77horn said:

My grandmother was born in 1898.  About 50 years ago she wrote down stories about growing up in north Texas at the turn of the century.  In one story, she, her older sister, and her father were taking the wagon into town for supplies.  On the way, they met her cousin, her uncle, and the sheriff on the way to get a local boy for a shotgun wedding.  She wrote that her sister explained to her what had happened.

Pics of shotgun?