Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

Somebody asked me if I'd rather have Lincoln Riley or Jimbo at Texas A&M, at the answer is Jimbo. Riley is a good coach, but he coaches in a league where he has five times the talent as anybody he plays. They're both good coaches, but it's apples to oranges. Jimbo Fisher is a great fit at Texas A&M.

🤣

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Somebody asked me if I'd rather have Lincoln Riley or Jimbo at Texas A&M, at the answer is Jimbo. Riley is a good coach, but he coaches in a league where he has five times the talent as anybody he plays. They're both good coaches, but it's apples to oranges. Jimbo Fisher is a great fit at Texas A&M.

🤣

Credit to Looch, he’s was right about the bolded part. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

43 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Texas might be the most delusional fanbase in American sports. They're loud on Twitter. They get these talking points, and no matter how bad their team is or how good things are going in College Station, they cannot come off their talking points. How much money did they pay to fire Herman and hire Steve Sarkisian? We know what Sark has done. You want to boil it down to Fisher not winning a title in three years? You spent $75 million to hire Sarkisian.

oh-billy-jim-carrey.gif

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

This really sums up Texas A&M's history.

They have never been able to shut up, whether bragging about actual accomplishments or tangible assets, whether stretching the truth about how "great" they are, or making terrible decisions to prove their greatness to the world. Extending Sumlin and Fisher were awful decisions. Hiring a coach that was on the brink of firing while telling the world he was actually great was an awful decision. Continuing to demand that everyone watch them while they drove the car off a cliff, while hilarious, was an awful decision.

If they would ever shut the fuck up and be introspective (which I thought the 100 year decision posed a great opportunity for) they might actually become something greater. Then again, they would no longer be Texas A&M. 

Have you heard what Jim Rome said about aggy?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

By Billy Liucci
September 1, 2021

Key notes from Billy Liucci interview

You're going to see this contract be 10 years, starting from now, with an average right around $9 million per year. You're starting the existing deal over with a significant raise to make him the second-highest paid coach in the SEC behind Nick Saban and one of the highest-paid in college football. This is a great deal. We're going to look at it again as a great bargain.

We've been talking about it for the last three years and how wrong people were the first time. Now they're doing it again. People don't seem to understand the no-buyout thing, and that makes me laugh. The buyout is $9 million a year, $90 million guaranteed.

Nick Saban doesn't look like he's going to retire anytime soon, but say Alabama comes after Jimbo Fisher in three years when Saban is done. That's the only school that could take Fisher with the money that Texas A&M is paying. If Alabama does that, it means the next three years have been really good in Aggieland.

A buyout does nothing. When was the last time a school didn't hire a coach they wanted because of a buyout? Do you think a one-year buyout, another $9 million, would keep A&M from going to get a coach? The buyout is $90 million. It also keeps the coach here. It's like the SEC not having a grant of rights. The SEC basically says, "You want to leave? Go."

I don't think there is any danger of Fisher leaving. The danger is losing money.

If it doesn't work, you lose money. Everyone is making a big deal about it, but it's like me and Olin living in the same neighborhood. If I saw him driving a Maserati, that's Olin's business. Not mine. The way the media is acting would be like me walking around the neighborhood calling Olin an idiot for spending that money on a car. Who's the idiot in that scenario?

A&M is three years into this, and they have a pretty good idea of what they're investing in. People are saying it's only one good year, but it's not. It's one great year and three years of progress. Jimbo's first year was a nice, strong season. They finished ranked and won a bowl game, playing great football at the end of the year. His third year was a top-five finish, an Orange Bowl championship and a legitimate argument to be in the playoff.

In 12 years as a coach, Fisher has a national title, a playoff berth and another top-five finish. He probably has five top-ten finishes in 12 years to go along with that. At what point do you look at that resume and say that Fisher is an elite head coach in this game? He is. It's not debatable. Texas A&M has a coach that is among the very best, the top five, in this game.

If you look at what Fisher is doing in recruiting and don't feel extremely confident in your investment, I don't know what to tell you.Regarding the timing, coaches don't like negotiating during the season. What if Texas A&M reached the playoff this year and LSU spiraled? I think Texas A&M did the right thing. We got our guy, and he's locked up for as long as he wants to coach.This guy won a national title. He won 27 of 28 games with Jameis Winston in 2013 and 2014. People want to say it was all Winston, but you can't take away a guy's best player. If you take away Vince Young, what did Mack Brown do? Take away Joe Burrow, Ed O doesn't win a championship.

I know what Dan Mullen has done, and I know what Jim Harbaugh has done. What in the hell have they done that Jimbo hasn't done? Mullen won a New Year's Six game, and Florida caught some criticism for that extension. The blowback shows how big the spotlight is on Texas A&M and Jimbo Fisher.

For the people that say A&M isn't relevant, you're hearing most of that from Texas, Oklahoma and some from LSU. They're whining fake tough guys.

If you say a negative thing about Oklahoma, the Sooners go insane. Somebody asked me if I'd rather have Lincoln Riley or Jimbo at Texas A&M, at the answer is Jimbo. Riley is a good coach, but he coaches in a league where he has five times the talent as anybody he plays. They're both good coaches, but it's apples to oranges. Jimbo Fisher is a great fit at Texas A&M.

Texas might be the most delusional fanbase in American sports. They're loud on Twitter. They get these talking points, and no matter how bad their team is or how good things are going in College Station, they cannot come off their talking points. How much money did they pay to fire Herman and hire Steve Sarkisian? We know what Sark has done. You want to boil it down to Fisher not winning a title in three years? You spent $75 million to hire Sarkisian.

LSU is just scared. They had that great year and smoked the Aggies in 2019, but they've lost two of three to Texas A&M. Jimbo Fisher is the guy they've tried to hire twice. Ed Orgeron is a trainwreck of a coach, and they know it. They were hoping they could possibly hire Fisher at some point, and the Aggies just put up a wall around College Station.

A day ago, what was the big cry coming out of Austin, Baton Rouge and Norman? That Fisher would be in Baton Rouge in a year. That was the battle cry from those three fanbases, and they wouldn't shut up about it. Today, 10 years and $90 million later, A&M is stupid for paying it? It's a constantly moving target

Ho-Lee-Chit, I had never seen that before.   Mind bottling. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

A buyout does nothing. When was the last time a school didn't hire a coach they wanted because of a buyout? Do you think a one-year buyout, another $9 million, would keep A&M from going to get a coach? The buyout is $90 million. It also keeps the coach here. It's like the SEC not having a grant of rights. The SEC basically says, "You want to leave? Go."

This line stuck out given the current circumstance they are in.

Baby Mirror GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

By Billy Liucci
September 1, 2021

Key notes from Billy Liucci interview

You're going to see this contract be 10 years, starting from now, with an average right around $9 million per year. You're starting the existing deal over with a significant raise to make him the second-highest paid coach in the SEC behind Nick Saban and one of the highest-paid in college football. This is a great deal. We're going to look at it again as a great bargain.

We've been talking about it for the last three years and how wrong people were the first time. Now they're doing it again. People don't seem to understand the no-buyout thing, and that makes me laugh. The buyout is $9 million a year, $90 million guaranteed.

Nick Saban doesn't look like he's going to retire anytime soon, but say Alabama comes after Jimbo Fisher in three years when Saban is done. That's the only school that could take Fisher with the money that Texas A&M is paying. If Alabama does that, it means the next three years have been really good in Aggieland.

I don't think there is any danger of Fisher leaving. The danger is losing money.

If it doesn't work, you lose money. Everyone is making a big deal about it, but it's like me and Olin living in the same neighborhood. If I saw him driving a Maserati, that's Olin's business. Not mine. The way the media is acting would be like me walking around the neighborhood calling Olin an idiot for spending that money on a car. Who's the idiot in that scenario?

A&M is three years into this, and they have a pretty good idea of what they're investing in. People are saying it's only one good year, but it's not. It's one great year and three years of progress. Jimbo's first year was a nice, strong season. They finished ranked and won a bowl game, playing great football at the end of the year. His third year was a top-five finish, an Orange Bowl championship and a legitimate argument to be in the playoff.

In 12 years as a coach, Fisher has a national title, a playoff berth and another top-five finish. He probably has five top-ten finishes in 12 years to go along with that. At what point do you look at that resume and say that Fisher is an elite head coach in this game? He is. It's not debatable. Texas A&M has a coach that is among the very best, the top five, in this game.

If you look at what Fisher is doing in recruiting and don't feel extremely confident in your investment, I don't know what to tell you.Regarding the timing, coaches don't like negotiating during the season. What if Texas A&M reached the playoff this year and LSU spiraled? I think Texas A&M did the right thing. We got our guy, and he's locked up for as long as he wants to coach.This guy won a national title. He won 27 of 28 games with Jameis Winston in 2013 and 2014. People want to say it was all Winston, but you can't take away a guy's best player. If you take away Vince Young, what did Mack Brown do? Take away Joe Burrow, Ed O doesn't win a championship.

I know what Dan Mullen has done, and I know what Jim Harbaugh has done. What in the hell have they done that Jimbo hasn't done? Mullen won a New Year's Six game, and Florida caught some criticism for that extension. The blowback shows how big the spotlight is on Texas A&M and Jimbo Fisher.

For the people that say A&M isn't relevant, you're hearing most of that from Texas, Oklahoma and some from LSU. They're whining fake tough guys.

If you say a negative thing about Oklahoma, the Sooners go insane. Somebody asked me if I'd rather have Lincoln Riley or Jimbo at Texas A&M, at the answer is Jimbo. Riley is a good coach, but he coaches in a league where he has five times the talent as anybody he plays. They're both good coaches, but it's apples to oranges. Jimbo Fisher is a great fit at Texas A&M.

LSU is just scared. They had that great year and smoked the Aggies in 2019, but they've lost two of three to Texas A&M. Jimbo Fisher is the guy they've tried to hire twice. Ed Orgeron is a trainwreck of a coach, and they know it. They were hoping they could possibly hire Fisher at some point, and the Aggies just put up a wall around College Station.

A day ago, what was the big cry coming out of Austin, Baton Rouge and Norman? That Fisher would be in Baton Rouge in a year. That was the battle cry from those three fanbases, and they wouldn't shut up about it. Today, 10 years and $90 million later, A&M is stupid for paying it? It's a constantly moving target

Oh fuuuuuuuck man. That's the good stuff Just shoot it right into my veins!

• Hook 'Em 3

The 2020 season might have been the biggest fool's gold you can imagine. Beyond the players missing games for Covid and no crowds just look at the coaches that aggy had to beat that year. 

Vanderbilt (Mason fired)

Florida (Mullen fired)

Arkansas (Pittman will be fired in another year if he doesn't figure things out)

South Carolina (Muschamp fired)

LSU (Orgeron fired)

Auburn (Malzahn fired)

Tennessee (Pruitt fired)

7/10 games were against coaches who will be fired at their respective schools. Incredible. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The 2020 season might have been the biggest fool's gold you can imagine. Beyond the players missing games for Covid and no crowds just look at the coaches that aggy had to beat that year. 

Vanderbilt (Mason fired)

Florida (Mullen fired)

Arkansas (Pittman will be fired in another year if he doesn't figure things out)

LSU (Orgeron fired)

Auburn (Malzahn fired)

Tennessee (Pruitt fired)

7/10 games were against coaches who will be fired at their respective schools. Incredible. 

secsecsec. This is why it makes sense to be in that overrated ass conference.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Vanderbilt (Mason fired)

Florida (Mullen fired)

LSU (Orgeron fired)

Auburn (Malzahn fired)

Tennessee (Pruitt fired)

To be fair, losing to Jimbo and aggy should be a fireable offense. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

They’ll beat MSU and ACU… But if they lose either by some divine act of providence, I have no doubt they’d do whatever it takes to send Jimbo packing… It’d get too ugly.

I don't. It's all internet bravado. Nobody is spending $100 million to get rid of a coaching staff and then hire a new coaching staff. 

Liucci and Zwerneman have pretty much been laying the groundwork that aggy has no choice but to keep Jimbo. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Copy pasta? 

It's free but 

Spoiler

COLLEGE STATION — Nearly a decade after delivering a speech as a national championship coach at Florida State, Jimbo Fisher is making a pitch for his gig at Texas A&M. 

“We have the talent to (win) and the kids have the heart,” Fisher pledged this week. “… Guys aren’t backing off, they’re still competing and being right there at one play (away). As long as you’re that close in that way and they have that look in their eyes, you can get there.” 

Fisher, 58, speaks from experience having won a national title at FSU following the 2013 regular season. A&M snatched him from Tallahassee, Fla., four years later with the idea of the Aggies winning their first national title since 1939 by now. 

They haven’t made the four-team College Football Playoff in Fisher’s five previous seasons at A&M, however, and won’t again this year after losing to Miami, Alabama, Tennessee and Mississippi in four of their first nine games. 

RELATED: Texas college football rankings

Should the Aggies (5-4, 3-3 SEC) beat woebegone Mississippi State (4-5, 1-5) at Kyle Field on Saturday night as expected, beat Abilene Christian on Nov. 18 at Kyle and lose at LSU on Nov. 25 to wrap up the regular season, the home of the 12th Man will be 12-12 in the past two seasons. 

That won’t cut it at a place that has paid hundreds of millions of dollars in the past decade — including a half-billion dollar rebuild of Kyle Field eight years ago — to try and win titles, but there’s one big thing in the way of cutting the line with Fisher: his whopper of a contract. 

Following this season the Aggies will owe Fisher about $77 million on the eight years remaining on the guaranteed deal. Should A&M’s ballers and shot-callers somehow decide they’ve seen enough by December, the buyout would be nearly four times what Auburn paid Gus Malzahn to go away three years ago ($21 million), considered a gut punch of a buyout at that time. 

A&M at least could claim one title out of the whole misadventure — most massive buyout shelled out by a landslide. It shapes up as to why, at least as of early November with three regular season contests and a bowl game to go, Fisher is expected to earn at least one more year to try and right the titanic ship dubbed Texas A&M football. 

“We’ve just got to find a way and once you do it — I’ve been there and you build slowly and you’ve went down and built back up — once you get over that hump and the guys can feel that, I think they’ll take off and I think we’ll … do it,” Fisher insisted. “I’ve been there before.”  

His promise has some merit. The Aggies were 7-5 in the regular season in 2019, their second year under Fisher, before narrowly winning the Texas Bowl over Oklahoma State. The next year they finished 9-1 in a pandemic-tightened season, and their No. 4 final ranking in the Associated Press poll marked theira highest finish since winning the national title in 1939. 

RELATED: A&M hopeful QB Max Johnson can play vs. Mississippi St.

The Aggies have gone a positively mediocre 18-15 in the three seasons since, but what separates Fisher from his predecessor Kevin Sumlin on that front — and Sumlin has a three-game lead over Fisher 69 games into their respective A&M swings — is Fisher continuing to recruit at a high level. 

While Sumlin’s recruiting had dropped off late in his A&M tenure (2012-17), Fisher’s class of 2024 currently is ranked ninth via 247Sports.com despite the Aggies’ on-field woes. Fisher also landed A&M’s lone No. 1 class of the two-decade Internet era in 2022 — a haul that perhaps factors into why at this rate he’ll still be around in 2024. 

The class, led by currently injured five-star quarterback Conner Weigman, will finally be upperclassmen (as juniors) with a couple of years of seasoning under their collective belts, and plenty of early playing time in a plethora of tight league games. 

“Sometimes it’s like a young eagle on a cliff,” Fisher said of talented players earning game time, often only a few months removed from high school. “Sometimes mama has just got to push them off the cliff, ad you’re scared if they can fly, but they take off.” 

Those young birds have experienced their share of heartbreak over the past two seasons, including last year’s 5-7 finish, and the Aggies’ three SEC losses this season against Alabama, Tennessee and Mississippi all have been by one score. 

Their lone double-digit loss this season came in Week 2 in a nonconference contest at Miami, 48-33, before the defense developed into one of the SEC’s top units under second-year coordinator D.J. Durkin.  

The A&M offense behind first-year coordinator Bobby Petrino showed plenty of life, too, against No. 10 Ole Miss on Saturday in Oxford, Miss., in scoring four touchdowns (one of the Aggies’ five touchdowns occurred on special teams) in A&M’s 38-35 loss, and the Aggies’ three SEC losses have been by an average of 5.3 points. 

As for 2024, the Aggies own their most favorable SEC schedule since joining the league in 2012 (for one, no Alabama for the first time since 2011), and they draw old rival Texas at Kyle Field in the Longhorns’ first foray into the SEC.  

It adds up to Fisher, as of early November with life and game prognostications subject to change, earning another shot at A&M, while the Aggies hope to put that $77 million to better use than on an old coach — one giving national title speeches a decade ago at a previous perch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Deej said:

It was more than $100 million, wasn't it?

His original contract was $75 million from January 2018, so $7.5 million/year for 3 years which is $22.5 million, then a 10 year $95 million extension. So an out the door price of $117.5 million.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is the aggy mouthpiece. Definitely sounds like Jimbo is getting another year. 

There’s a couple guys willing to stroke big checks now, but they are trying to get a few others to pony up.    

Fatigue has set in and it would feel better to have that money mean something like a new gulag building in your name rather than gifting it to a little West Virginia hillbilly cuck.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

There’s a couple guys willing to stroke big checks now, but they are trying to get a few others to pony up.    

Fatigue has set in and it would feel better to have that money mean something like a new gulag building in your name rather than gifting it to a little West Virginia hillbilly cuck.  

How about the Jim Q Bigaggie school of I Tell You What

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

And you're missing MY point, apparently.

And I countered that Gundy did a 1 year turnaround based out of spare parts no one wanted based entirely on his coaching accument. It can't be fucking culture when everyone has been there less than a year. The point is the growing paints might not be as long or painful as you'd think. 

accument” & “the growing paints” have to become part of the Surly vernacular.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

the growing paints in college station are uphauling

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

accument” & “the growing paints” have to become part of the Surly vernacular.

Better than a growing taint. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I might know a spot where you can get some of those in Burnt Orange. @closetojumping Plans on sporting his next year when he rolls into College Station for the game. 

image.png.fc690255fa34aad64e8417ce90fb1c2b.png 

I fully expect Lane Kiffin to have one of these on when Ole Miss comes to Kyle next year. He'll have the cup in front of him as well in the post victory press conference.

I asked the guy in the pink shirt to pass the idea on to Lane.

spacer.png

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

I see why Billy Boy doesn't resort to simile much. He's very bad at it. It would be more like Olin spending the money on a sputtering Maserati that the owner was delighted to unload and hoping the car will heal itself.

Oh, and Billy is the idiot in any scenario.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I see why Billy Boy doesn't resort to simile much. He's very bad at it. It would be more like Olin spending the money on a sputtering Maserati that the owner was delighted to unload and hoping the car will heal itself.

Oh, and Billy is the idiot in any scenario.

More like spending $150k on a 10 year old Mini Cooper with a Maserati name plate glued to the front.  And the driver won't shut up about how they stole it for $150k

• Haha 2