Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

6 minutes ago, Vermin said:

aggy thought they could poach an NFL coach with a 7-2 record in the middle of November? This isn't a joke?

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

I think the bigger point is that aggy really had no plan in place when they fired Jimbo. It looks like they're putting out feelers for a bunch of coaches. I'm confused by the timing of this move but maybe they know Elko or Traylor will accept whenever it comes to that. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think the bigger point is that aggy really had no plan in place when they fired Jimbo. It looks like they're putting out feelers for a bunch of coaches. I'm confused by the timing of this move but maybe they know Elko or Traylor will accept whenever it comes to that. 

The timing was they had to do this before Jimbo did a Les Miles and forced them to keep him at least into next season. 

But I agree they were probably operating under the assumption they can hire Elko or Traylor at any point when they run out of wish list candidates.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The timing was they had to do this before Jimbo did a Les Miles and forced them to keep him at least into next season. 

But I agree they were probably operating under the assumption they can hire Elko or Traylor at any point when they run out of wish list candidates.  

Definitely seems why which is odd to me. 

1) A 4 loss season in year 6 is still enough justification to fire Jimbo. 

2) Still seems very unlikely that aggy's 3rd string QB can keep pace with LSU's offense in Baton Rouge. LSU will be a 14 point (or more) favorite if Max Johnson isn't back. 

3) If aggy wins there will now be a ton of momentum to just hire Robinson. 

Seems like a flawed decision calculus. Let Jimbo finish the season while you search for a coach behind closed doors. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t remember any reasonable poster thinking we ever had a shit at Shanahan. This isn’t the football board. 

Yeah, I think the conversations went something like this:

What about Shanahan?

Yeah, he would be great, but he isn't going to take the job.

But, I do think reporters kept asking Shanahan and Shanahan did release a statement similar to Campbell's:

Former Texas football transfer and San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan reportedly doesn’t want to coach in college.

The conversation surrounding where the Texas football program can take its coaching search as they approach the 2021 offseason is coming to a head right now. Texas still has fourth-year head coach Tom Herman around heading into a game this weekend against the Kansas State Wildcats on the road in Manhattan.

Herman and the Longhorns kick off against Kansas State at Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Dec. 5 at 11 a.m. CT.

But as Texas approaches this key showdown against Kansas State, which could have bowl game positioning on the line for both teams, most of the focus is surrounding the recruiting trail and potential coaching search. Texas also lost a good number of key players to opt outs/transfers this week. The Longhorns are now down junior running back Keaontay Ingram, redshirt junior offensive tackle Sam Cosmi, and junior safety Caden Sterns.

So what can Herman do from here so solidify job security?

It’s hard to tell.

If he is replaced heading into next offseason, the common name that is being discussed of late is former Ohio State Buckeyes and Florida Gators three-time National Championship winning head coach Urban Meyer. But if Texas can’t get Meyer, then they’ll have to look elsewhere if the plan is to replace Herman no matter what.

One name that was brought about on my list of potential Herman coaching replacements is the Texas Ex and current San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan. That name was thrown around a little bit in this potential coaching candidate conversation, but he reportedly (per Horns247 piece, paid content) “isn’t interested” in coaching at the college ranks right now.

Shanahan led the 49ers to the Super Bowl last season, which eventually led to a loss to superstar quarterback Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs. He would be a home run hire if the Longhorns could land him, but it doesn’t appear that is a possibility right now.

He is willing apparently to make a recommendation for other coaching candidates, namely among those on his staff with the 49ers at the moment. But that might not do all that much to help Texas athletic director Chris del Conte make a decision in the near future.

Herman and the Longhorns hold a record of 5-3 (4-3 Big 12), following their disappointing loss to head coach Matt Campbell and the No. 13 ranked Iowa State Cyclones last week (on Black Friday/Senior Day). Texas lost to Iowa State by the final score of 23-20.

6 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This plus you couple in the fact our success and going to the SEC. They have already made it seem like our game next year is their super bowl. 

6 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

A 4 loss season in year 6 is still enough justification to fire Jimbo. 

Interesting, indeed. It's funny how we're so used to them shitting in their own punch bowl that the fact that they are firing him because they're afraid he'll win a big game doesn't stand out so much.

Jimbo has to go. We need to fire him.

Okay, as soon as the season's over we'll make the move. Good headstart. We can start preparing the search.

Not so fast.

Oh?

I'm worried he'll beat LSU with a third string QB.

Worried? Isn't that a good thing for A&M.

No. Not if he does it. If he does it, we can't fire him.

You've already decided to fire him.

Yes. But if he wins the LSU game, I'll be forced to change my mind.

Annnnnd, why is that?

You just don't get it, do you? What if he beats LSU forcing me to keep him and then he beats tu next year? Huh, smart guy? What then?

These are not goals you want to achieve?

The goal is to get rid of him. I've made up my mind. Are you paying attention?

Especially if he wins.

Now you're getting it, son.

I knew that I shouldn't have taken this job.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Interesting, indeed. It's funny how we're so used to them shitting in their own punch bowl that the fact that they are firing him because they're afraid he'll win a big game doesn't stand out so much.

Okay, as soon as the season's over we'll make the move. Good headstart. We can start preparing the search.

Not so fast.

Oh?

Annnnnd, why is that?

You just don't get it, do you? What if he beats LSU forcing me to keep him and then he beats tu next year? Huh, smart guy? What then?

Especially if he wins.

Careful , you're getting dangerously close to understanding them . 

If you or one you love starts finding it acceptable to wear maroon colored clothing please call 444-4444

Edited by BigHornedLurker

IMHO Campbell would have bee the best hire they could have gotten.  A legacy that was moving from the NFL to his old team.  That wold be a big enough splash to get kids to at least listen to the guy.  The fact he left at 7-2 would have been a coup!  I think he might have won and recruited well using a I know what it takes to play in the NFL, I was head coach there last year.  I took this job to win by developing players just like you." could have been a strong recruiting pitch. 

Enough to dispel the bleakness of each year living in College Station? We will never know.  So onto head coach options 4,5 and 6 by the end of the weekend.

I just honestly cannot wait to see how the contract is structured.  A good case study in, "Can an Aggie Learn?" 

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Not so fast.

Oh?

Annnnnd, why is that?

Especially if he wins.

I mean there was very real concern on here by some that Herman might save his job with a late season win....After all according to those in the know he was lined up to be fired in 2019 when he beat Tech and that was apparently enough for him to save his job for another season.....I would have much rather we fired Herman before Tech then wallowed through that next season with him.

16 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

I mean there was very real concern on here by some that Herman might save his job with a late season win....After all according to those in the know he was lined up to be fired in 2019 when he beat Tech and that was apparently enough for him to save his job for another season.....I would have much rather we fired Herman before Tech then wallowed through that next season with him.

Who would have been the hire then?

2 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Who would have been the hire then?

I was just wondering the same thing. We’d go after Urban hard again, maybe we get him if we aren’t competing against NFL jobs. FSU hired Norvell that off-season, he would have been a candidate. Campbell was already starting to slide a bit at that point but he would have come up. 

Kiffin was also hired that offseason, but I don’t really see him being seriously considered (even with his similarities to Sark).

I can’t really remember who else we were clamoring for at the time aside from NFL pipe dreams like John Harbaugh or Shanahan. 

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

was he fucking around? or is that the basis of his hate for Campbell?

No he posted about it after the Tech game that we had a great coach lined up to take the job but CDC talked them out of firing Herman after the win.  Probably the genesis of his dislike for CDC.

His hatred for Campbell I think stems from the "5 star culture" bs he was spewing in Sark's first season....and how whiney he has been the past few seasons.

Post 24208 in the below 

17 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

According to CTJ Matt Campbell was lined up to take the job before the Tech Game.

That was the word and no one has ever edited the story. CDC didn't want to fire Herman after year 3. No clue as to the veracity, but the info came from folks who have been right on a whole lot of shit when it comes to Texas and CFB.

14 minutes ago, NoName said:

was he fucking around? or is that the basis of his hate for Campbell?

I don't hate Campbell. I don't care enough about the guy to have that kind of emotion. I think he's a thunderdouche, sure. In any event, it wasn't Campbell's fault for Herman staying on as HC.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 hours ago, The Beast said:

Doesn’t matter who the new coach is most on this site will crap their pants about how Texas is now screwed. It could be bozo the clown and there will be entire threads on how he is the next Saban and we suck. 

that is correct, we are going to knock this out of the fucking park*

*john sharp is going to hire the reanimated corpse of emory ballard

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That was the word and no one has ever edited the story. CDC didn't want to fire Herman after year 3. No clue as to the veracity, but the info came from folks who have been right on a whole lot of shit when it comes to Texas and CFB.

I don't hate Campbell. I don't care enough about the guy to have that kind of emotion. I think he's a thunderdouche, sure. In any event, it wasn't Campbell's fault for Herman staying on as HC.

And the following year, when Herman was fired, a bunch of people in early October were fretting that he might be retained again, but the decision had already been made to get rid of him, regardless of how the Meyer saga played out. It was funny watching people in December get all worked up about the fact his firing hadn’t been announced yet. 

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

And the following year, when Herman was fired, a bunch of people in early October were fretting that he might be retained again, but the decision had already been made to get rid of him, regardless of how the Meyer saga played out. It was funny watching people in December get all worked up about the fact his firing hadn’t been announced yet. 

I remember stating repeatedly that he was gone on the coaching carousel and Urban Meyer threads as time passed. I understood the handwringing, but folks involved were steadfast.

Tom Herman was right there with all of the folks who didn't buy that he'd be fired. He thought the Meyer stuff was a joke and Internet rumor until several of his staff members sat him down and said "hey man, they're really talking to him." He was equally stunned when they sat him down and told him he was fired. I've always taken a small amount of pleasure in that, sadly. I don't like to root in favor of someone losing their job, usually, but that asswipe earned his unceremonious exit.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I remember stating repeatedly that he was gone on the coaching carousel and Urban Meyer threads as time passed. I understood the handwringing, but folks involved were steadfast.

Tom Herman was right there with all of the folks who didn't buy that he'd be fired. He thought the Meyer stuff was a joke and Internet rumor until several of his staff members sat him down and said "hey man, they're really talking to him." He was equally stunned when they sat him down and told him he was fired. I've always taken a small amount of pleasure in that, sadly. I don't like to root in favor of someone losing their job, usually, but that asswipe earned his unceremonious exit.

Meh, he was always smart enough to get another job.  He needed to be humbled as his arrogance was insufferable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

My favorite part is when the locker room splintered and some very good players like Overshown had their performances tank because they were all running around trying to become a bunch of activists while Herman was threatening to throw his wife out of a moving plane. Those were the days. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

One name continuing to simmer in the mix is Washington’s Kalen DeBoer, who’s considered a long shot candidate. So are Clemson’s Dabo Swinney, Nebraska’s Matt Rhule and Florida State’s Mike Norvell. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/jeff-traylor-mike-elko-candidate-aggies-fisher-18496173.php

Christmas came early if aggy goes to the washed up ACC coach well again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Not just worked up.  Kirk Bohls actually published "journalism" stating he would be back.