Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Thank you Greg Abbott, this shining example of impotence in the form of large orange balls that won't do shit is exactly what we need to be spending taxpayer money on.

Buoy-barrier-1.jpg?w=1280&h=720&crop=1

He is so fucking proud of this.

It's a good thing that nobody will swim under them.  Or try to go over them.

Although, since we're Texas, I'm sure it's going to kill a bunch of people.

hmm I don’t see how he wins in the courts, even with he corrupt 5th 

32 minutes ago, tchookem said:

You know what would be cheaper... and more effective?

Policy. An actual policy that addresses these peoples' needs to get out of their homeland, employers' needs for laborers, and our need to feel good about ourselves for actually doing the right thing.

But yeah, some big orange balls, that will... um... yeah.

What's amazing is that back in August of 2001, Rick Fucking Perry had an actual policy that addressed those things.  He even talked about improving the border situation to the point where we could have "open borders" (his actual words), and talked about how we can't slow down illegal immigration unless we understand and address the root causes, and how we could benefit from people living along the border in one country and working in another.  Even talked about a unified healthcare system along the border (unified with Mexico) and about raising the standards of living.

You can read his speech here: https://web.archive.org/web/20111019194534/http://governor.state.tx.us/news/speech/10688/

9/11 happens a few weeks later, that ends that experiment.

Then 4-5 years down the road, in 2006, President George W. Bush, Senator McCain, Senator Kennedy, and quite a few others, including, yes, Rick Fucking Perry, talk about a guest worker program where we acknowledge all of the illegal immigrants, get them registered, etc. - in fact most of Bush's plan was passed by the Senate, but killed by the House.  Bush's plan included:

1. Protecting the homeland by protecting our borders: the program should include efforts to control the United States border through agreements with participating countries.
  2. Serve America's economy by matching a willing worker with a willing employer: the program should efficiently connect prospective workers with employers in the same sector.
  3. Promoting compassion: the program should provide a temporary worker card to undocumented workers that allows them re-entry into the United States during their three years.
  4. Providing incentives to return to home country: the program should require workers to return to their home countries after their work period has ended.
  5. Protecting the rights of legal immigrants: the program should not be connected with obtaining a green card.

The program also contains specific agenda items for reformation of the guest worker programs already in effect:

1. Employers must make every reasonable effort to fill a position with American workers first.
  2. Enforcement against companies hiring illegal immigrants will increase.
  3. The United States will work with other countries to have guest workers included in their home country's retirement plans.
  4. Those in the program can apply for citizenship, but will not be given any preference and will enter at the end of the line.
  5. A reasonable increase in the number of legal immigrants into the United States.

Of course, if you wanted to be cynical, you could point out that Perry's two biggest donors (who also pumped money into Bush's campaigns as Governor and President), were the largest home builder in Texas, and the owner of the largest grocery chain in Texas, so of course both relied heavily on immigrant construction and agricultural workers, but that's only if you're being cynical.

These kinds of things would have slowed illegal immigration down and would have allowed us to get a grasp on who was actually here.  Nope.  Can't be smart these days.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

What's amazing is that back in August of 2001, Rick Fucking Perry had an actual policy that addressed those things.  He even talked about improving the border situation to the point where we could have "open borders" (his actual words), and talked about how we can't slow down illegal immigration unless we understand and address the root causes, and how we could benefit from people living along the border in one country and working in another.  Even talked about a unified healthcare system along the border (unified with Mexico) and about raising the standards of living.
You can read his speech here: https://web.archive.org/web/20111019194534/http://governor.state.tx.us/news/speech/10688/
Then 4-5 years down the road, in 2006, President George W. Bush, Senator McCain, Senator Kennedy, and quite a few others, including, yes, Rick Fucking Perry, talk about a guest worker program where we acknowledge all of the illegal immigrants, get them registered, etc. - in fact most of Bush's plan was passed by the Senate, but killed by the House.  Bush's plan included:
  1. Protecting the homeland by protecting our borders: the program should include efforts to control the United States border through agreements with participating countries.
  2. Serve America's economy by matching a willing worker with a willing employer: the program should efficiently connect prospective workers with employers in the same sector.
  3. Promoting compassion: the program should provide a temporary worker card to undocumented workers that allows them re-entry into the United States during their three years.
  4. Providing incentives to return to home country: the program should require workers to return to their home countries after their work period has ended.
  5. Protecting the rights of legal immigrants: the program should not be connected with obtaining a green card.
The program also contains specific agenda items for reformation of the guest worker programs already in effect:
  1. Employers must make every reasonable effort to fill a position with American workers first.
  3. The United States will work with other countries to have guest workers included in their home country's retirement plans.
  4. Those in the program can apply for citizenship, but will not be given any preference and will enter at the end of the line.
  5. A reasonable increase in the number of legal immigrants into the United States.
Of course, if you wanted to be cynical, you could point out that Perry's two biggest donors (who also pumped money into Bush's campaigns as Governor and President), were the largest home builder in Texas, and the owner of the largest grocery chain in Texas, so of course both relied heavily on immigrant construction and agricultural workers, but that's only if you're being cynical.
These kinds of things would have slowed illegal immigration down and would have allowed us to get a grasp on who was actually here.  Nope.  Can't be smart these days.
I believe it was the Republicans that killed those, was it not?

To win over Trump supporters, Abbott is putting giant orange balls along the route where Trump’s wall was supposed to go?  

have fun at church this morning fellas, I’ll be making my peace with the simulation.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Thank you Greg Abbott, this shining example of impotence in the form of large orange balls that won't do shit is exactly what we need to be spending taxpayer money on.

well, his balls don't work so this makes sense

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Okie State said:

So can someone explain how the orange balls work?

You see they float on top of the water, thus keeping any water-walking Mexicans out of our country. We still haven't figured out how to stop the ones that can swim under water. That's still in development.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What company had the contract to make the ball wall? And how much did their owners contribute to Abbott?

Excited Lets Go GIF

wouldn’t shock me if those two Texas billionaires suddenly got into the business of making huge floating balls 

40 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

You see they float on top of the water, thus keeping any water-walking Mexicans out of our country. We still haven't figured out how to stop the ones that can swim under water. That's still in development.

40 minutes ago, mchookem said:

are they going to impede wildlife?

Probably.  They will definitely impede any Jesus that can walk on water.

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

This…the fact that in every argument I ever have with anyone about immigration, I just say “here’s how nutbar leftist I am on the issue: I propose that we adopt, in it’s entirety, the immigration plans proposed by two REPUBLICAN governors of a border state who know the issue. On immigration, I’m 100% Republican. How about that?”
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

On immigration, I’m 100% Republican.

Well, you used to be.  Now the Republican ideas about immigration involve mowing people down with a gatlin gun, drones, and I'm pretty sure sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This…the fact that in every argument I ever have with anyone about immigration, I just say “here’s how nutbar leftist I am on the issue: I propose that we adopt, in it’s entirety, the immigration plans proposed by two REPUBLICAN governors of a border state who know the issue. On immigration, I’m 100% Republican. How about that?”

14 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well, you used to be.  Now the Republican ideas about immigration involve mowing people down with a gatlin gun, drones, and I'm pretty sure sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads.

Discourse on immigration in this country is just so fucked. It's not even a right-left thing. One side just wants to restrict immigration to further a white nationalist vision of the country, and be extremely cruel to those already here. The other side does not want to be cruel, which is nice I guess, but appears to have no coherent plan to address the root issue of having 10mm+ people living in the country but not formally participating in society.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

Discourse on immigration in this country is just so fucked. It's not even a right-left thing. One side just wants to restrict immigration to further a white nationalist vision of the country, and be extremely cruel to those already here. to address the root issue of having 10mm+ people living in the country but not formally participating in society.

I think they actually do have a plan. It's just that their plan includes being decent to people born outside America, so it's a dead-at-conception, compete non-starter to the people they need to compromise with.

And they're dealing with people that view compromising as losing.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, tchookem said:

I think they actually do have a plan. It's just that their plan includes being decent to people born outside America, so it's a dead-at-conception, compete non-starter to the people they need to compromise with.

And they're dealing with people that view compromising as losing.

I don't disagree with your reasoning on compromise, but what is the Democratic plan for immigration reform?

On 7/7/2023 at 10:25 PM, atomheartbevo said:

are those bullet proof ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

It’s only gonna take a few of those balls to get punctured and fill with water before this shit starts sinking, right? If an industrious coyote had a cordless drill this seems like an easy solution

wile e coyote 90s GIF

• Haha 4

First Amendment group sues Texas Governor and others over the state's TikTok ban on official devices (msn.com)

NEW YORK (AP) — A First Amendment group sued Texas Governor Greg Abbott and others on Thursday over the state’s TikTok ban on official devices, arguing the prohibition – which extends to public universities – is unconstitutional and impedes academic freedom.

The complaint was filed by The Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University, a free speech group in New York that’s suing on behalf a coalition of academics and researchers who study technology’s impact on society.

The lawsuit said the state’s decision to restrict access to TikTok on official devices, as well as on personal devices used to conduct state business, is comprising teaching and research. And more specifically, it said it was “seriously impeding” faculty pursuing research into the app - including research that could illuminate or counter concerns about TikTok.

Critics of TikTok have claimed the popular social media app, owned by Chinese parent company ByteDance, could push pro-Beijing propaganda on its platform or hand U.S. user data over to the Chinese government if compelled under the country’s national intelligence laws.

TikTok has long maintained it hasn’t handed over any U.S. data to the Chinese government and says it wouldn’t do so if asked. To fend off the accusations, the company is overseeing a project to store U.S. user data on servers maintained by the software giant Oracle. But the scrutiny hasn’t diminished.

Congress, the White House and other Western governments have banned TikTok use on official devices, citing espionage fears.....

Party of Small Government.  

Abbott continues to show off his Angry Little Man Syndrome.

Austin says they want to suspend working with DPS over some recent incidents. Abbott and DPS say “oh no you’re not, not only is DPS going to continue patrolling Austin streets, we’re gonna add 30 more officers and you get no oversight.”

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/abbott-orders-additional-troopers-to-austin-1-day-after-city-suspends-apd-dps-partnership/

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/city-of-austin-suspends-partnership-with-texas-department-of-public-safety/

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Austin says they want to suspend working with DPS over some recent incidents. Abbott and DPS say “oh no you’re not, not only is DPS going to continue patrolling Austin streets, we’re gonna add 30 more officers and you get no oversight.”

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/abbott-orders-additional-troopers-to-austin-1-day-after-city-suspends-apd-dps-partnership/

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/city-of-austin-suspends-partnership-with-texas-department-of-public-safety/

lot of black and mexican Austinites about to be arrested !

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

With Abbott pulling troopers to police the border and the streets of Austin, what's happening in rural Texas where policing is needed?

• Like 1