Joe Biden 2021

tantric superman

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

And the Dems do have a deep bench IMO.  Biden came in fourth in Iowa and fifth in New Hampshire in the 2020 primaries.  Lots of dem voters believe there are better options than Biden for President. 

I like your attitude.  But to me that says the Dems have kind of a shitty bench.  And by that I mean two or three decent moderates who progressives can stomach and two or three progressives who moderates don't think are batshit crazy.

I wish I had your faith in society. 
I think the number of people that think Joe Biden is the primary cause of their high gas prices and inflation is higher than we care to admit (because most people are idiots), and it's rising every day.
A lot of people held their noses last November and voted for a dreaded liberal as their "anyone but Trump" candidate, not because they gave a shit about Joe Biden. Some of them are absolutely talking themselves into "it was never this bad, was it?" Most Americans would vote for Pol Pot if they were promised a $500 annual tax savings.
As far as his supporters also being cast aside, if an election was held tomorrow, you don't think Ron DeSantis would wipe the floor with Biden?

The one thing I'll absolutely agree with you on is, yes, there are a ton of idiots around us today. Fortunately the election isn't tomorrow and come 2024 my guess is we will be in a pretty strong economic recovery.

As a lifelong conservative, I'm still holding to my pledge of "if you ever supported, enabled or even said a nice word about Trump.....knowing what a huge piece of shit he is and what he did to our country, then fuck you! You will never get my vote"
  • Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

The one thing I'll absolutely agree with you on is, yes, there are a ton of idiots around us today. Fortunately the election isn't tomorrow and come 2024 my guess is we will be in a pretty strong economic recovery.

As a lifelong conservative, I'm still holding to my pledge of "if you ever supported, enabled or even said a nice word about Trump.....knowing what a huge piece of shit he is and what he did to our country, then fuck you! You will never get my vote"

We are in it right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

The Democrats need to continue to beat the drum of “we are helping.” Every month I get a portion of the child tax credit. I have a family member that gets around $900 (three kids). That’s tangible change that need to be pointed out too to bottom in the democrat party.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

We are in it right now.

18 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:
19 minutes ago, David Dennison said:
We are in it right now.

I stand corrected. "Feels good to be a gangsta" - Joe Biden, probably

Yeah,  gas prices are a sign of the economic recovery.  The chart I posted shows we are at pre-covid gas prices now. That part of our economy is "back to normal"

21 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

The Democrats need to continue to beat the drum of “we are helping.” Every month I get a portion of the child tax credit. I have a family member that gets around $900 (three kids). That’s tangible change that need to be pointed out too to bottom in the democrat party.

In that same token, they need to focus on ideas and not "our team vs. your team".  The Republicans are united, and don't give a shit about issues or governing.  The Dems are naturally divided between moderates who can't stand the current Republicans, moderates who are naturally Dems and progressives".  They don't get much out of we good, you bad approach in close or red states.  They have to pick some issues, make arguments for them, and keep pointing out that they can do some good in government. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

While I dislike Biden, the incumbency advantage he has is too great to squander, strategically speaking. It’s why I always said he would run for re-election if he won in 2020.

And the Dems do have a deep bench IMO.  Biden came in fourth in Iowa and fifth in New Hampshire in the 2020 primaries.  Lots of dem voters believe there are better options than Biden for President. 

There were better options to be president. I just wonder how likely those options are to be elected president.

The best candidates were either women or black with the notable exception of the square-jawed guy from Washington. Oh, and Bernie. I rebelled against the notion that we should choose Biden for his supposed better shot at actually electing him. It turned out not to be supposed; it turned out to be very real.

I don't think the other candidates would have won the close states. I found myself glad that Biden had won the nomination. I just wish he were still at the top of his game.

My dread? Biden resigns and hands the reins to Kamala. We will all celebrate the progress of having a female of color and qualification heading a national ticket. We will then have a Republican president. 

Forget it, Jake. It's Idiot World.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

We are in it right now.

Yup, and despite that Republicans currently have a more pessimistic view of the economy than they did at the bottom of the great recession. 

People's views are largely not shaped by what's actually happening, but by what people are telling them is happening. And Republicans absolutely dominate the narrative game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

I wish I had your faith in society. 

I think the number of people that think Joe Biden is the primary cause of their high gas prices and inflation is higher than we care to admit (because most people are idiots), and it's rising every day.

A lot of people held their noses last November and voted for a dreaded liberal as their "anyone but Trump" candidate, not because they gave a shit about Joe Biden. Some of them are absolutely talking themselves into "it was never this bad, was it?" Most Americans would vote for Pol Pot if they were promised a $500 annual tax savings.

As far as his supporters also being cast aside, if an election was held tomorrow, you don't think Ron DeSantis would wipe the floor with Biden?

So much this.  I can tell you right now that my in laws who went dotard in 16 and Biden in 20 are going to yank that R lever in 2024 like they are starting a mower, as long as it isn't dotard again.

Edited by Biff Tannen

24 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Yeah,  gas prices are a sign of the economic recovery.  The chart I posted shows we are at pre-covid gas prices now. That part of our economy is "back to normal"

Correction: high gas prices are a sign of economic recovery...when a republican is President.

Stupid lib.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

So much this.  I can tell you right now that my in laws who went dotard in 16 and Biden in 20 are going to yank that R lever in 2024 like they are starting a mower, as long as it isn't dotard again.

Someone is going to have to convince him not to run, because he will dominate the Republican primaries if he does.

Just now, David Dennison said:

Someone is going to have to convince him not to run, because he will dominate the Republican primaries if he does.

This may be our only hope, which is a nightmare in itself.  This has 3 results and 2 are horrifying.

1. Dotard loses again, we continue on as a democracy.

2. Dotard wins because people are exhausted and can't be bothered to show up in numbers like they did in 2020 (84 million).

3. Dotard loses, but a R House (almost guaranteed) and/or Senate decides, fuck democracy, those votes don't count.  FRAUD!!!!!

19 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

In that same token, they need to focus on ideas and not "our team vs. your team".  The Republicans are united, and don't give a shit about issues or governing.  The Dems are naturally divided between moderates who can't stand the current Republicans, moderates who are naturally Dems and progressives".  They don't get much out of we good, you bad approach in close or red states.  They have to pick some issues, make arguments for them, and keep pointing out that they can do some good in government. 

This would be a horrible idea and the most obvious proof that it's a horrible idea is that this is how Democrats always run for office and they almost always underperform. 

People vote based on their emotions. This is why every Republican in every race going back decades tries to make people scared of their Democratic opponent. Fear is a powerful motivator. It's also why so many people turned out to vote against Trump. What the Democrats need to do is constantly tell everyone that the entire GOP is Trump. And it shouldn't be hard to do, given that it's true. 

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

This would be a horrible idea and the most obvious proof that it's a horrible idea is that this is how Democrats always run for office and they almost always underperform. 

People vote based on their emotions. This is why every Republican in every race going back decades tries to make people scared of their Democratic opponent. Fear is a powerful motivator. It's also why so many people turned out to vote against Trump. What the Democrats need to do is constantly tell everyone that the entire GOP is Trump. And it shouldn't be hard to do, given that it's true. 

This is akin to arguing that football games are won based on the conditioning and fighting spirit of the players, and therefore you shouldn't have to worry about things like plays and routes and technique.

The vast majority of voters will vote on emotion. The victory lies in small wins.

So of course you highlight the problems with your opponents (Trumpism, etc.), but you also pick one or two core issues that aren't that emotional and sell them, because that is where you get the win.

The 2018 elections, at least in the suburbs, were about Trumpism, but they were also about healthcare and problem solving.

17 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Oh, but you see, we aren't allowed to point out that the Republican Party is the party of white grievance and that it uses racial solidarity in an effort to overcome the class differences that separate its voters.

Edited by David Dennison

4 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Biden’s biggest problem will be inflation. It appears to be sticky. If it maintains these elevated levels or goes higher he’s toast. 

Biden's biggest problem is that the narrative has stuck.

Shelves are pretty much all stocked.  Gas is still cheaper than most of the 2010s.  Jobs are coming back faster than pretty much anyone expected. 

But people still feel like the economy is in trouble and the supply chain "CRISIS" is hurting the country.  I don't know how you unstick a narrative, but that needs to be his focus.  Feelings don't care about your facts.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Shelves are pretty much all stocked.  Gas is still cheaper than most of the 2010s.  Jobs are coming back faster than pretty much anyone expected. 

But people still feel like the economy is in trouble and the supply chain "CRISIS" is hurting the country.  I don't know how you unstick a narrative, but that needs to be his focus.  Feelings don't care about your facts.

The narrative will lag behind reality. Three years is an eternity. What's hurting Biden right now is pandemic fatigue.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The overall economy isn't in trouble, but inflation is here to stay (and I said that months ago when all of the economists, including the big ones at my firm, were saying it would be transitory -- there was no reason to believe such a thing unless you were just scared that admitting the truth would spook the markets).  And the supply chain "crisis" is very real -- it doesn't mean that things aren't going to be on shelves, but it means that they're going to cost a shitload more than they used to.  Have you tried to ship anything across the country in 2 days or less lately?  That's how a lot of businesses do business, and it's going to cripple their profits, which stunts wage growth and reduces stock dividends, etc.  It's a real problem.  GDP growth forecasts for 2022 are already being revised downward, and significantly.

Now, how much does any of this have to do with Joe Biden?  Pretty close to zero.  But the president always gets too much credit and too much blame for the economy and the stock market.  This rising inflation coupled with the inevitable double-digit market correction sometime in the next 12 to 18 months will probably be the end of the Dems chances in 2022 and Biden's chances in 2024.

I'm very afraid that we're going to see DeSantis or Don, Jr. paired with someone like Boebert for VP and that they'll win.  I'm already looking at expat options.  

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

$3.19 in central MN. Premium and diesel 3.79

Fun times!

In 2008, it was 1.20 higher than where it is now.  Gas prices are about where they were going into the 4th quarter of 2014 when OPEC said, "Fuck It, we aren't propping the market up anymore."  Oil prices then were about where they are now, but yet, gasoline and diesel prices are slightly cheaper at this stage.  

But oh no, things are too expensive.  

High gasoline and oil prices are not a bad thing.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Cute

628F4842-2F2F-45A7-9856-9D9E23A276BC.thumb.jpeg.934d9a28d54c906005fd43c97b20dc60.jpeg

Dude, it is a Shell station.  1.  They market themselves as a high quality/high price gasoline.  2.  On the regular in Houston, you could have a 1.50 to 2.00 difference in V-Power amongst different stations in different parts of town.  The Regular and Plus weren't as much, but yeah.  The Shell at River Oaks was almost always 1.00 to 1.50 more than the one on Washington.  It was nuts.

5 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Dude, it is a Shell station.  1.  They market themselves as a high quality/high price gasoline.  2.  On the regular in Houston, you could have a 1.50 to 2.00 difference in V-Power amongst different stations in different parts of town.  The Regular and Plus weren't as much, but yeah.  The Shell at River Oaks was almost always 1.00 to 1.50 more than the one on Washington.  It was nuts.

Yeah, in my city I gang up my errands to end up in the section of town where gas is low and fill up. Unleaded. I need a full tank of gas where I'm headed.

43 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

You may just have your facts wrong. There are supply constraints but demand is playing a role in the breakdown 

There’s still direct transfers going on in the form of the payments GoofyBoy was mentioning. And we’re about to have a COLA adjustment for SS that is 5.9%. This will feed on itself. 

13 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

In 2008, it was 1.20 higher than where it is now.  Gas prices are about where they were going into the 4th quarter of 2014 when OPEC said, "Fuck It, we aren't propping the market up anymore."  Oil prices then were about where they are now, but yet, gasoline and diesel prices are slightly cheaper at this stage.  

But oh no, things are too expensive.  

High gasoline and oil prices are not a bad thing.  

It’s not just gas. There’s food inflation too that people are dealing with. Hits lower incomes harder. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

The message needs to be (I heard it once) that energy and shipping prices are an opportunity for manufacturing to return to the US.  We have to deal with the labor shortage but a lot of that is people in minimum wage jobs not wanting to go back for minimum wage.  So you get manufacturing and the labor differential is made up by the shipping savings.  Those minimum wage jobs are an opportunity for automation and further productivity increases which lead to higher standards of living.

We are at an inflection point.  We need to take advantage of it.

Invest in critical manufacturing infrastructure like chip manufacturing, telecommunications, reliable energy.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

You may just have your facts wrong. There are supply constraints but demand is playing a role in the breakdown 

There’s still direct transfers going on in the form of the payments GoofyBoy was mentioning. And we’re about to have a COLA adjustment for SS that is 5.9%. This will feed on itself. 

It’s not just gas. There’s food inflation too that people are dealing with. Hits lower incomes harder. 

I agree it isn't just energy, but some of that food price increase is directly related to increased energy costs.  

39 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

the valero across the street from there is fifty to seventy cents cheaper.  it's nuts.  only explanation is that people from tanglewoodish area only pass by that shell, that valero, and the two (also expensive) chevrons on woodway at sage and memorial at 610 and just don't gaf. 

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

the valero across the street from there is fifty to seventy cents cheaper.  it's nuts.  only explanation is that people from tanglewoodish area only pass by that shell, that valero, and the two (also expensive) chevrons on woodway at sage and memorial at 610 and just don't gaf. 

I used V-Power in my car.  It performed better on it.  Especially in sport mode.  However, I always went to the one on Washington.  I knew some of the Valeros had issues with credit card skimmers.  Fun times.

Without significant reforms at multiple levels we’re headed towards another Trumpy administration regardless if Biden wins in 2024.  The GOP has been given a pass on sedition, open racism, and political violence. They will continue to double and triple down until someone stops them (no one is going to stop them).  Trump could drop dead tomorrow and the Republicans would not change course.  The best thing democrats could do is accelerate an agenda that puts us more in line with the rest of the civilized world and popularized those moves enough to force the republicans to adopt those positions as well.  

Basically the reverse of the Ronald Reagan Era. I don’t see it happening but the only way out of the death spiral is a paradigm shift. 

26 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Without significant reforms at multiple levels we’re headed towards another Trumpy administration regardless if Biden wins in 2024.  The GOP has been given a pass on sedition, open racism, and political violence. They will continue to double and triple down until someone stops them (no one is going to stop them).  Trump could drop dead tomorrow and the Republicans would not change course.  The best thing democrats could do is accelerate an agenda that puts us more in line with the rest of the civilized world and popularized those moves enough to force the republicans to adopt those positions as well.  

Basically the reverse of the Ronald Reagan Era. I don’t see it happening but the only way out of the death spiral is a paradigm shift. 

Tell me more about this “Trump could drop dead tomorrow “ part.

23 hours ago, F250 said:

I read it and there is nothing nefarious in it. It's a pie in the sky proposal not some power grab by the elites to establish the new world order.

You seem to think that the World Economic Forum are a bunch of larpers that lack either the desire or ability to influence policy around the world. I disagree. 

23 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Also, there was an expectation that Biden would release bbls from the SPR.  That means it is already priced into the market.  

The 50 million barrels we’re planning to release is equivalent to just half the global daily oil demand. It’s not going to address the structural issues in market. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

4 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

You seem to think that the World Economic Forum are a bunch of larpers that lack either the desire or ability to influence policy around the world. I disagree. 

LOL They suggest cooperation between governments and private industries that requires each individual entity to go against their self-interest. It's pie in the sky policy.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

The 50 million barrels we’re planning to release is equivalent to just half the global daily oil demand. It’s not going to address the structural issues in market. 

And that announcement did nada to the prices.  That is why I laugh at people that are like, "Oh, this is in response to polling."  An SPR release does NOTHING to prices as it is already priced in.  It is all optics.  He is pulling the levers he can, but honestly, POTUS has very, very little impact on pricing.  And unlike Saudi or other OPEC nations where there is a lot of politics in their numbers, the US oil and gas companies are mainly driven by economics.  If it is accretive to value, they will do it.  If not, fuck off.

Of course Republicans are better at narrative. They don’t have policies or platforms to use. It’s hard to sell less taxes and less government when it’s been proven over and over again that corporate tax cuts only benefit the rich and Republicans idea of less government is taking away your right to vote, locally govern, operate a private business, or manage you reproductive system. 

Fox News blast fear porn until repetition drowns out the opposition. @Satoshi currently uses the same tactics in the inflation thread. Volume over substance. He used to post Republican anti-vax shit until he was crowed sourced. And like Fox News, and Trump, there are no real consequences or accountability. Get banned, pop up again. Continue the clown show. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Of course Republicans are better at narrative. They don’t have policies or platforms to use. It’s hard to sell less taxes and less government when it’s been proven over and over again that corporate tax cuts only benefit the rich and Republicans idea of less government is taking away your right to vote, locally govern, operate a private business, or manage you reproductive system. 

Fox News blast fear porn until repetition drowns out the opposition. @Satoshi currently uses the same tactics in the inflation thread. Volume over substance. He used to Republican post anti-vax shit until he was crowed sourced. And like Fox News, and Trump, there are no real consequences or accountability. Get banned, pop up again. Continue the clown show. 

Besides the occasional funny meme that you probably don’t think is funny, I only post substance on the inflation thread. It’s just substance you don’t like. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

21 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I haven’t seen anybody read the teleprompter that in depth since Frank Drebin

Points for the move reference, but I don’t understand the teleprompter thing. Y’all did it with Obama too, yet it vanished with Dotard. I don’t get it. I don’t understand how it’s insulting.