Joe Biden 2021

tantric superman

37 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Us doing it?  No, not funny in a comical sense.

Someone voluntarily tweeting that?  Funny in a strange sense.  What an awkward tweet. 

Would you ever say anything like that from a personal or professional level?  

You apparently have very high standards for tweets. 

• Haha 1

While true, Biden’s leadership on any of these issues is MIA...and some of these items were part of his campaign agenda (public option). 

I hate giving credit to the Trump administration but their approach of moving fast early on several issues at once was strategically clever.  It was hard to keep up with all the shit they were doing, and most of it was pretty evil. 

It's easy to tackle several issues at once when the goal is to shovel money into open pockets versus solve actual problems.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Us doing it?  No, not funny in a comical sense.
Someone voluntarily tweeting that?  Funny in a strange sense.  What an awkward tweet. 

Would you ever say anything like that from a personal or professional level?  
Do you not remember the multiple shutdowns during Obama's administration because the Rs didn't want to pay for a bunch of stuff that Congress approved years ago? 2 wars, TARP, Bush Tax Cuts, recovery after the financial crisis, etc. All those things were expensive and ran way over budget expectations.

It's dumb that Congress has to pass bills and then pass other bills to fund them down the road. Stating the obvious may seem boring and unnecessary, but it's been a point of contention during 8 years of Obama, yet magically went away under Trump. Now Biden is being threatened with the same shenanigans.
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Bravo said:

LOL they're not bungling the message. We have record high inflation, huge supply chain issues, high gas prices and wages shrinking compared to inflation. You try to spin that. It isn't a message issue but a reality issue. 

Sorry you can’t find any cream cheese for your bagel(s). 

17 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

The touchdown play was always my favorite play and it really pissed me off when GDGD failed to call it. 

Why Biden hasn’t pressed the button to fix the supply chain issues I’ll never understand either. I mean it’s sitting right there on his desk. 

He does push the button, problem is they keep bringing him a GD Diet Coke.  

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Bravo said:

LOL they're not bungling the message. We have record high inflation, huge supply chain issues, high gas prices and wages shrinking compared to inflation. You try to spin that. It isn't a message issue but a reality issue. 

Biden shouldn’t get credit for record job growth but he also shouldn’t get blamed for high inflation or supply chain issues. All are results of the pandemic. Unless you’re arguing that we shouldn’t have stimulated the economy which is a longer conversation. High gas prices have nothing to do with any policy of any President. There will always be spin because politics, unless your proposing politicians shouldn’t spin things, which I agree. But as history has shown, the general public can be convinced of anything. 

• Like 1

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/president-bidens-job-approval-sinking-inflation-crime-covid/story?id=81701113

President Biden's job approval sinking on inflation, crime and COVID: POLL

More than two-thirds of Americans (69%) disapprove of how Biden is handling inflation (only 28% approve) while more than half (57%) disapprove of his handling of the economic recovery. 

image.gif.0593da901f7f2005c8714b3d1a7ad6b0.gif

43 minutes ago, Bravo said:

I hear it's because Americans are morons and just don't understand how great he is actually doing. The administration just needs to tweak the message. That's all.

I'd submit Americans as a whole are not morons and are smarter than most the people in DC. What do I know?

I’d submit americans as a whole are morons and people in DC as a whole are also morons. That said, I don’t think the vast majority of Americans understand inflation either.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Bravo said:

The public understands inflation much better than the DC politicians. It actually affects them. It may be the one issue they understand the best because it affects them directly/immediately. 

They understand it in as much as prices going up. They have zero idea of the machinations that cause it. Or how to mitigate it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/11/2021 at 12:16 PM, Neonmoon said:

In English, please describe why raising the debt ceiling is bad?

Might as well ask right wingers why marijuana or gay marriage are bad.  They're not gonna actually admit that they believe whatever the Party of White Jesus tells them to and they've never actually had a critical thought about anything in their lives.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Bravo said:

All of that or most of that may be true although I'll debate some of the policy on oil drilling and pipelines definitely has contributed to the prices in the end it doesn't matter. The public judges the president off the economy. Furthermore, there are many in this thread and others in CR touting the great job recovery. Can't have it both ways. 

As a former man in the oil industry, I’m curious as to what Biden policy on oil drilling has affected oil prices. I agree that the public judges the President on the economy. But you just agreed in your post that the issues are not his fault. It’s just public perception. The public will believe anything. So it’s just whoever wins the message game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

It is certainly true for me (though I don’t think I’ve actually joined in on that particular joke) and I’m certainly not the smartest poster here. 

It’s true for everyone. The joke is being made at the expense of people like him though so we shouldn’t expect him to understand.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

They understand it in as much as prices going up. They have zero idea of the machinations that cause it. Or how to mitigate it. 

55 minutes ago, Bravo said:

That also may be true but the politicians don't seem to understand the real world true effect of it and have no desire to mitigate it. We are fucked. It is here to stay for a bit. It's going to require at some point some significant rate hikes and stopping the dumping of $ (checks) into the economy. 

We are not fucked. It will be here for a little bit, but that’s not the end of the world. Of course rate hikes are coming. You shouldn’t be able to borrow 500K at 2.3%, that’s absurdly low. There was a pandemic. The world shut down for 1 year. We are all dealing with it. The Fed learned from the Obama years. They turned off the tap too soon because everyone was still freaked out about inflation from the 70s, which caused the economy to struggle in the early teens longer than it should have. They left the tap on a little longer to avoid this. Will it work? They hope so, but we don’t know. You don’t know. We just have to wait and see. 

20 minutes ago, Bravo said:

By fucked I mean inflation is going to be around for a good bit. Who knows how long but you can't dump trillions into the economy like that and not see rampant inflation which we are seeing. The checks do need to stop. They're still going out. 

We just disagree on how much stimulus is needed and how much inflation is tolerable, or for how long. We probably won’t ever agree, that is fine. 

1 minute ago, Bravo said:

I guess we shall see how much inflation it leads to. It's just starting and Nov was a record level since 30 yrs ago. If it stops there then it may be fine if it goes full on early 80s where my dad still talks about a 15% mortgage rate he had on our house then maybe not acceptable? 

Do you want me to agree the worst possible scenario happening is bad? Then yes, I agree. 

Will you agree that it’s possible the worst possible scenario won’t happen?

1 hour ago, Bravo said:

It's possible. I can tell you we are still doing things very detrimental to stopping inflation. 

I mean I think the checks you talk about are small potatoes compared to the 120 billion per month in bond purchases. But those aren’t going to the poor. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Bravo said:

They're all part of the problem. We have and are still paying most people $1000s for just being alive in the US. Does that sound inflationary? Get rid of all subsides to companies and people. 

Matters of scale. How do they work?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Fuck. That. 

explain your reasoning. explain why having a bloated military - larger than the next 11 biggest countries COMBINED - is a good thing. do we still need tanks? do people really think tank warfare is the future? we have the largest military in the world and yet daily we are losing the psy-ops and cyber wars that are being waged against us constantly. the future of warfare is not on the battlefield. it's in a chair behind a monitor and it will cost very little to operate and execute. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Fuck. That. 

Justify giving the military MORE than they asked for when the olds in the US can’t get dental care. Please - proceed.

I really don’t give a flying fuck if that’s what we spend on the military. BUT - the agreement that any spending on the people is too much is bullshit. Manchin saying that increasing Medicare to cover dental is too much is a fucking joke. I saw something yesterday that said 1/4 of the people over 65 in HIS state don’t have teeth.

The protectionism of our bloated military budget needs to change.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

You guys are arguing with someone who doesn't think poor kids should get to go to school.

That wasn’t my argument, and you know that. They should absolutely, positively get to go to school.  They should probably get the chance to go for additional lessons, as education is what breaks the cycle. 

15 minutes ago, YChang said:

It is interesting that the amount of mistrust in government especially with how they spend money is more forgivable with the military for some. 

it's beyond even that. most don't even question it or consider it in any way a discretionary part of the budget. it's a  given and everyone else gets to fight over the scraps that are left.

A quick google search brought me this result: The price to eradicate global hunger is $45 billion per year until 2030. That's it. That's not even the US. That's the entire world. The Pentagon budget is ~$715B so for less than 10% of their budget we could seriously end world hunger and like at least half the reason we would need the military in the first place. I think it's time the military start tithing to make up for their largesse

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Like 2

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

it's beyond even that. most don't even question it or consider it in any way a discretionary part of the budget. it's a  given and everyone else gets to fight over the scraps that are left.

I think for some it comes from a place of fear, the need to keep adding to defense budget. Fear of what exactly—I'm not sure.

Just now, DDD Dad said:

Shouldn't we be directing our anger at the Fed?

The royal 'we'? or the Surly 'we'? The fed wants what is happening. Interest rate repression via asset purchases has supported asset inflation and kept the credit bubble inflated.  CPI/goods and services related inflation is pandemic and stimulus spending related (which has been a bipartisan effort for the most part).  Similar to what happened post WW2.  The government, regardless of political party, actually wants what is happening in order to reduce the nominal GDP/Debt (nominal growth increasing even if real growth is not).  But it is the current dude in charge is who is getting the blame.  I don't make the  rules, unfortunately.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/12/2021 at 4:04 PM, Bravo said:

They're all part of the problem. We have and are still paying most people $1000s for just being alive in the US. Does that sound inflationary? Get rid of all subsides to companies and people. 

explain what is going on here:

image.png.f91b8f64b3fd1b556a8552bc71eae74e.png

17 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Shouldn't we be directing our anger at the Fed?

Does the Fed have a name and a face? Is it Joe Biden? or Biden appointees? I imagine most people blame Biden because their quality of life isn’t improving and it’s harder to get ahead. The President always gets more credit and blame than deserved. 

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

They're not passing shit on voting rights because Manchin will never budge on eliminating the filibuster so that they can. This is surrendering their legislative agenda while pretending otherwise.

I fear you are correct.  They are going to try and show that the Rs are fully against voting rights (which they are) and hope that's enough to propel them across the finish line in 2022 without actually getting anything else done.  This will fail.