COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

It’s time to go to work on the 20-40 year old age group. It’s fucking shocking how many of them aren’t getting vaccinated. Good friend of mines daughter is 24 and has a job that requires her to travel all over the country. She’s out at bars pretty much every night. Both her parents are vaxxed but they are hesitant to ask her to do it because of concerns about infertility. Meanwhile her employer is telling her they are going to reassign her if she doesn’t do it. My girlfriend’s daughter is 26 and she is flat refusing to get vaccinated solely because her idiot boyfriend told her not to. He doesn’t have much of a reason other than he thinks he is really smart. He’s 26 and drives Uber for a living. Fortunately her father has told idiot boyfriend that he is not allowed in the house until he’s vaccinated. So far that isn’t working. Maybe they just want to kill all us olds off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

It’s time to go to work on the 20-40 year old age group. It’s fucking shocking how many of them aren’t getting vaccinated. Good friend of mines daughter is 24 and has a job that requires her to travel all over the country. She’s out at bars pretty much every night. Both her parents are vaxxed but they are hesitant to ask her to do it because of concerns about infertility. Meanwhile her employer is telling her they are going to reassign her if she doesn’t do it. My girlfriend’s daughter is 26 and she is flat refusing to get vaccinated solely because her idiot boyfriend told her not to. He doesn’t have much of a reason other than he thinks he is really smart. He’s 26 and drives Uber for a living. Fortunately her father has told idiot boyfriend that he is not allowed in the house until he’s vaccinated. So far that isn’t working. Maybe they just want to kill all us olds off.

I’ll give her a jab...it is just a little prick. 

Edited by LABEVO
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, justhookit said:

My 31-year-old sister in law is refusing because of infertility concerns. I wonder how that horseshit got started. Has there ever been a vaccine for anything that caused infertility?

11 minutes ago, tokamak said:

My 31-year-old sister in law is refusing because of infertility concerns. I wonder how that horseshit got started. Has there ever been a vaccine for anything that caused infertility?

Not a vaccine, and not infertility, but thalidomide seems to be the reference of choice for new drug skeptics. 

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They are. 

I can think of 5 people I know personally, excluding my wife and me, who have COVID and got the vaccine.  If they prevent infection it is unquestionably lower than the initial strain.  
Does it seem like this isn’t being discussed enough or am I just too focused on my own situation?

2 minutes ago, htown85 said:

I can think of 5 people I know personally, excluding my wife and me, who have COVID and got the vaccine.  If they prevent infection it is unquestionably lower than the initial strain.  
Does it seem like this isn’t being discussed enough or am I just too focused on my own situation?

That’s a different statement. Yes it is lower.  Haven’t seen anything discussing the technical differences between delta and other variants, but I believe I’ve read that it replicates very quickly, so one hypothesis might be that exposure and infection overwhelms the immune system by sheer numbers until the immune system can speed up the machine to counter.  Which is why a booster would help since the claims are that it raises antibodies like 4-5 times. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That’s a different statement. Yes it is lower.  Haven’t seen anything discussing the technical differences between delta and other variants, but I believe I’ve read that it replicates very quickly, so one hypothesis might be that exposure and infection overwhelms the immune system by sheer numbers until the immune system can speed up the machine to counter.  Which is why a booster would help since the claims are that it raises antibodies like 4-5 times. 

Thanks, that’s the sort of response I was looking for. Still feel like this conversation is being glossed over (not here, just generally) and deserves more attention - although I can understand the hesitancy given there is a nation wide vaccine campaign ongoing.

If she is 31 and still has no kids I can think of one much more time proven fertility issue she is about to potentially run into.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, tokamak said:

It's 100% made up FB rumor.   My guess is her infertility has more to do with the gang bangs she does.  NTTIAWWT

• Like 2

Have there been any definitive conclusions on why the vaccines aren’t effective in preventing infection of the delta variant? 

No, because they are. The data isn’t conclusive but the MRNA vaccines appear to be 60+ percent effective against symptomatic disease with delta. They are still 90+ percent effective against severe disease requiring hospitalization. If anything breakthrough cases have been sensationalized

Edit: Also, CDC is not tracking minor breakthrough infections anymore but a Kaiser report from last week showed the 20+ states that are tracking vaccination status with infection show 92 to 99 percent of cases among unvaccinated, most at 96+ percent, and 95 to 99 percent of hospitalizations are unvaccinated.

Worth noting this doesn’t include a ton of southern states, because of course they don’t track anything. But it did include Arkansas, which reported 96.4 percent of cases and 95.4 percent of hospitalizations among unvaccinated, indicating vaccines are holding up in the OG delta hotspot.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, htown85 said:

Everyone has symptoms.  Everyone is healthy, no hospitalizations.

That's good to hear.  I think that the delta viral load is in some cases simply overwhelming the immune response, and specifically the immune response in the respiratory tract secretions at point of entry.  In many cases, it is not. But in certain situations whether there is overwhelming exposure or an underwhelming immune response to vaccination, it's breaking in and creating mild disease. Which means the vaccines are working, but there is room to optimize.  Perhaps a nasally administered vaccine would generate a more robust mucosal immune response in the respiratory tract and beat back something with characteristics like delta? To be determined I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

Tell them there is no evidence that the vaccine harms fertility and that the rumors that it does are straight up coming from bots, crazy people and idiots on the internet.

Edited by kevwun

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

If she is 31 and still has no kids I can think of one much more time proven fertility issue she is about to potentially run into.

Yeah, my parents-in-law have been spewing that bullshit constantly because some woman who finished 8th grade spews it after church.  It's reinforced by the shit they consider to be "cable news."  They've been preaching it to my wife's three sisters that it'll cause infertility.  Meanwhile they are 30, 40, and 43 years of age respectively and none have children (only one is even married).  My wife and I are thinking, "Yeah, it's a drug you haven't done any research on keeping you from having more grandchildren."  

1 hour ago, htown85 said:

Yeah, I know at least two people who were vaccinated and got it recently.  One had some not-so-minor symptoms but she didn't end up in the hospital.  Kids are dragging this crap back from summer camps - Pine Cove and Ozark.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

Yeah, I know at least two people who were vaccinated and got it recently.  One had some not-so-minor symptoms but she didn't end up in the hospital.  Kids are dragging this crap back from summer camps - Pine Cove and Ozark.

At this point I wouldn’t say my wife’s symptoms are minor, but she’s healthy and won’t have to go to the hospital.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm technically a scientist but I am totally talking out of my ass about this.
I suspect they were never 95+% effective to begin with. At the time, every sane person was still masking and distancing. This isn't real world enough conditions imo. Also, people who sign up for vaccine trials and those who are first in line tend to follow the science and will be better behaved. These people are probably less likely to engage in high risk activities so your sample is skewed. It could also just be that the vaccines are waning in effectiveness right around the time delta got here.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the vaccines. They clearly work. Everybody who can get vaccinated should. But the real world data is a little different than the trials unfortunately.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, midtown said:

MAY BE ABLE to transmit.  Viral loads are similar but they drop off significantly in the vaccinated.  Also loads do not equate to transmission.  Apparently there is a new study out of Singapore that counters the claim that vaccinated are as transmissible.    Again there is ZERO evidence that vaccinated can transmit that I have read or that the CDC has published that refutes that.  It appears that the CDC used a pretty weak string in issuing their guidance.   We may eventually find out that they are correct.

I transmitted a load to your mom last night.

But seriously, the shit is going to hit the fan end of September after all the unmasked and un vaccinated fuck trophies start back to school. They are going to be in close quarters together for 6-8 hours every day of every week.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ellellelle said:

I suspect they were never 95+% effective to begin with. At the time, every sane person was still masking and distancing. This isn't real world enough conditions imo. Also, people who sign up for vaccine trials and those who are first in line tend to follow the science and will be better behaved. These people are probably less likely to engage in high risk activities so your sample is skewed. It could also just be that the vaccines are waning in effectiveness right around the time delta got here.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the vaccines. They clearly work. Everybody who can get vaccinated should. But the real world data is a little different than the trials unfortunately.

A big thing is the effectiveness wears off with time. It doesn't stay 95% effective for 6 months or a year or whatever, then all of a sudden one day it's 0%. So they're thinking it "lasts" at least 6 months but what does that mean? Obviously not still 95% after 6 months. 80%? 70%? 50%? Nobody really knows right now. Eventually it'll get to a point where vaccinated people start showing up in hospitals again in significant numbers, and then it's time for boosters.

25 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I transmitted a load to your mom last night.

But seriously, the shit is going to hit the fan end of September after all the unmasked and un vaccinated fuck trophies start back to school. They are going to be in close quarters together for 6-8 hours every day of every week.

Can you please clarify? I would think the unvaccinated fuck trophies would be single moms and young moms with a 5/7 year itch. So what does "un vaccinated fuck trophies start back to school" mean? That sounds wrong. Maybe you mean the kids are trophies from women fucking. Maybe pics of the moms would clarify things.

Edited by Bevo

30 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

But seriously, the shit is going to hit the fan end of September after all the unmasked and un vaccinated fuck trophies start back to school.

In theory of course.   They only kids back to school that we should be worrying about are those under 12 right?  All school staff, teachers and anyone over 12 should be vaccinated right?  Also kids were in school the bulk of last year.   Obviously not at 100% but per my kids around 75% and with masks.    I also assume a ton of kids are going to wear masks voluntarily.   I hope some of the back to school doom and gloom is wrong. 

Edited by midtown

57 minutes ago, Ellellelle said:

For being a scientist you have a really shitty understanding of vaccine efficacy

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Tell them there is no evidence that the vaccine harms fertility and that the rumors that it does are straight up coming from bots, crazy people and idiots on the internet.

It’s an easy thing to throw out there because you can’t disprove it early on, that data takes years to generate and evaluate. And because it elicits such an emotional response. 

32 minutes ago, midtown said:

In theory of course.   They only kids back to school that we should be worrying about are those under 12 right?  All school staff, teachers and anyone over 12 should be vaccinated right?  Also kids were in school the bulk of last year.   Obviously not at 100% but per my kids around 75% and with masks.    I also assume a ton of kids are going to wear masks voluntarily.   I hope some of the back to school doom and gloom is wrong. 

My kid was in kindergarten in Houston ISD last year. That last week of school, when they dropped the mask mandate, I'd say it was at best 50/50 wearing masks in her class. The situation right now is much worse than it was in May. Delta seems to spread to and among kids much more readily, and spreads to the vaccinated as well so kids will be taking it home to their families. My wife said there's plenty of otherwise reasonable-seeming people on the school Facebook group that are still playing the "it should be a personal choicccccccce!!!!!" card. I'm going to guess that voluntary mask compliance in deep red areas like Katy, Cypress, etc will be well less than half.

4 hours ago, DaysOff said:

UAL now requiring all employees to be vaccinated. The pilot group was already at 90 percent because they threw money at them to go do it. Good luck 10 percent trumplican hold outs.

I would think Delta airlines should have been first....

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Deej said:

The anti-vaxx folks who really make me rage are the ones who claim they've done all the research themselves and know that it's not safe. 

What fucking research have you personally done? Surfing conspiracy websites and talking with your moron friends does not constitute research. These people need to be taken out back and given the Old Yeller treatment. 

Some dipshit vomited a bunch of charts and graphs onto my Twitter feed he obviously drew himself using mispaint with a copy and pasted johns Hopkins logo in the bottom right corner.

56 minutes ago, tokamak said:

That last week of school, when they dropped the mask mandate

All the data points were at a two year low at that time and I think a lot of people were willing to let their guards down.  I think with all the media about delta a lot of parents are going to be a bit more cautious.   Maybe.  Who knows.

6 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Some dipshit vomited a bunch of charts and graphs onto my Twitter feed he obviously drew himself using mispaint with a copy and pasted johns Hopkins logo in the bottom right corner.

Lady at work got put in Facebook jail for posting COVID misinformation. Says she saw it in writing somewhere and if it's written down than it's not misinformation. WTF? She complained people post UFO stuff all the time and it's not real and nothing happens to them. 

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

Lady at work got put in Facebook jail for posting COVID misinformation. Says she saw it in writing somewhere and if it's written down than it's not misinformation. WTF? She complained people post UFO stuff all the time and it's not real and nothing happens to them. 

imagine caring about facebook enough that your coworkers know of your appellate points for your mental facebook briefing.

• Haha 1