A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

His whole premise is that the Special Master’s review will take about one month. I think that severely underestimates things. Trump will fight the scope of the review, and will appeal Special Master determinations on privilege- which won’t happen in one swoop, but likely batches. Trump will try to appeal all the way to SCOTUS for all documents the Special Master will turn over to the DOJ. 

Everyone should stop assuming that Trump will play by the rules or act in good faith. He won’t. He will use every opportunity to delay, and run his mouth in the press. And the longer this goes on without an indictment, all the GOP supporters can say, “if they had anything they would have charged him already”. 

The Special Master ruling is without sound legal justification and unnecessarily complicates a pretty fucking straightforward case. There aren’t close or tough privilege calls at stake. It’s just fuckery

Disagree that that's the whole premise.

Trump can appeal any of this regardless.  If she'd flat denied relief entirely.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Disagree that that's the whole premise.

Trump can appeal any of this regardless.  If she'd flat denied relief entirely.

Yes, but now we have the prospect of multiple appeals. One likely from the DOJ, and then however many Trump can get the district court to review or overturn from the Special Master and then on up to Circuit and SCOTUS. You see that, right? 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Yes, but now we have the prospect of multiple appeals. One likely from the DOJ, and then however many Trump can get the district court to review or overturn from the Special Master and then on up to Circuit and SCOTUS. You see that, right? 

Not everything will be appealable and serial appeals will be consolidated.   All appeals are potentially two-level.

Appeal is appeal is appeal, to my mind.

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump is just itching to say something nasty about the Queen.  You just know it.

Just came here to say that I'm getting my popcorn ready to see what sort of statement he puts out when she passes. I honestly think it's going to be just fine... but there's always a chance he uses the death of the Queen of England to put out personal digs toward someone.

"Sad to hear about the passing of Queen Elizabeth. AMAZING WOMAN! Unlike Hillary."

And then when he discovers that Biden is invited to the funeral while Trump is not...

"Queen Elizabeth was a stone-cold loser. Under her watch the U.K. went from a world power to a nobody. What a shame that she sent such a once-beautiful country down the toilet. I DECLASSIFIED everything. The FBI RAID was a sham!"  

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The unidentified lawyer, from a law firm that worked for Trump in the 1990s, visited the former president at Trump Tower after he refused to pay, according to The Guardian.

“Trump made some apologetic noises. Then he said: ‘I’m not going to pay your bill. I’m going to give you something more valuable,’” Enrich wrote, per The Guardian. The former president then “rummaged around in a filing cabinet” and pulled out a deed to a horse supposedly worth $5 million. 

“Once he regained the capacity for speech,” the lawyer reportedly said, “This isn’t the 1800s. You can’t pay me with a horse,” Enrich wrote, according to The Guardian.

And that horses name ……….

Ivanka 

596E62B6-B17C-4EA4-AAD5-E0EC4174B930.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Guess I’ll just park this here:

Lol. Never heard of that dude, but he says he is Trump's favorite author. So what sort of books does he write then?

30 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just came here to say that I'm getting my popcorn ready to see what sort of statement he puts out when she passes. I honestly think it's going to be just fine... but there's always a chance he uses the death of the Queen of England to put out personal digs toward someone.

"Sad to hear about the passing of Queen Elizabeth. AMAZING WOMAN! Unlike Hillary."

And then when he discovers that Biden is invited to the funeral while Trump is not...

"Queen Elizabeth was a stone-cold loser. Under her watch the U.K. went from a world power to a nobody. What a shame that she sent such a once-beautiful country down the toilet. I DECLASSIFIED everything. The FBI RAID was a sham!"  

wouldn’t be shocked if the Obamas Also get seats 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

And both of those quotes sound 100% like something he would actually send out.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

And that is his entire legal strategy.  Delay long enough that he can announce he's running and then say it's all political attacks.  We cannot let that happen.

Yeah we can, twicehorn will be here any second now to explain why not only can we let that happen, but we MUST let it happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

It's the Willy Wonka defense.  The more they pretend to protest and kick 'n scream against/alongside the Special Master....the more it looks like Team Trump was afforded every opportunity under the law.  No wait, stop, come back, we were wrong.  So long as the delay is not too long, this is a good thing.  And there are already ODNI operators on site to watch the watchers look at the documents.  They'll be time limited in the off chance one of them can memorize documents by vision alone like what's her name from Taxi.  

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Why is this smart, for the legally ignorant?

Without looking into it at all, my first guess is that if there is no issue/dispute as to privilege for those 100 documents, and thats all DOJ really wants, it would moot the request for a special master

40 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Why is this smart, for the legally ignorant?

My guess is that DOJ feels like investigation and possibly indictment can go on with just those 100 documents. It would be like a drug bust wherein cops recovered all sorts of potentially incriminating items (scales, logs, money, etc.) and defendants moved to have property returned or moved to enjoin gov't from using items during the prosecution of the case. Its the gov't saying, "ok, fine. but we're going to proceed with the 3 kilos of cocaine we found in the closet."

Edited by Foosters
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Orale said:

Yeah it is a sharp way to avoid the delay associated with the appeal and get at what are probably the most important of the documents and the ones least likely (not at all likely) to have an effective privilege claim.

Well done.

Also, puts her right on the firing line between "protecting Trump" and just trying to "do the right thing."

13 minutes ago, Foosters said:

My guess is that DOJ feels like investigation and possibly indictment can go on with just those 100 documents. It would be like a drug bust wherein cops recovered all sorts of potentially incriminating items (scales, logs, money, etc.) and defendants moved to have property returned or moved to enjoin gov't from using items during the prosecution of the case. Its the gov't saying, "ok, fine. but we're going to proceed with the 3 kilos of cocaine we found in the closet."

Yeah, that, and the notion that the IC review is inseparable from FBI/criminal review I think is powerful when she's already acknowledged in word and order that that's important and urgent.

It is urgent, no question.

It really reads more like a motion to reconsider, which really isn't acknowledged by the rules, but puts a time deadline on it and sets it up for immediate review by the court of appeals.

Good lawyering.   Not all the lawyers at DOJ are necessarily the best and brightest, but between the hundreds of them, they do a really sound job with their work.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement