A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Setting aside for a moment that it's Trump.

I would rather seriously question someone that attended a  "rally" for a guy who isn't even currently running for office.  Especially if they paid money to get in.

Now, if someone wanted to go see a staid, formalish speaking engagement involving a former President, that might be another thing, but a dress up like a fool scream your head off political rally is another.

There's something theatrical/messianic about these rallies.  

Anyone know when the last time the circus visited Conroe?  Or they had a Renaissance fair?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Anyone know when the last time the circus visited Conroe?  Or they had a Renaissance fair?  

Story out about a shift in the support of his base:

“Things feel like they’ve been shifting,” said Patrick Ruffini, a Republican pollster who regularly surveys Mr. Trump’s standing in the party. “It’s a strong attachment. It’s one that very likely would win a Republican primary today. But is it the same ironclad, monolithic, Soviet-like attachment that we saw when Donald Trump was the incumbent president? No, it is not.”

In a recent Associated Press survey, 44 percent of Republicans said they did not want Mr. Trump to run for president again, while a potential G.O.P. rival in 2024, Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida, has narrowed the gap in other way-too-early snapshots of a hypothetical primary — new signs of potential vulnerability for the former president.

In a reversal from Mr. Trump’s White House days, an NBC News poll in late January found that 56 percent of Republicans now define themselves more as supporters of the Republican Party, compared to 36 percent who said they are supporters of Mr. Trump first.

The Trump-first faction had accounted for 54 percent of Republican voters in October 2020. The erosion since then spanned every demographic: men and women, moderates and conservatives, people of every age.

Among the biggest swings was in a group widely seen as Mr. Trump’s most loyal constituency: white Republicans without college degrees, who went from 62 percent identifying first with Mr. Trump to 36 percent.

Frank Luntz, a prominent G.O.P. pollster, said Republican support for the former president is moving in complex ways — simultaneously both intensifying and diminishing.

“The Trump group is smaller today than it has been in five years, but it is even more intense, more passionate and more unforgiving of his critics,” Mr. Luntz said. “As people slowly drift away — which they are — those who are still with him are even stronger in their support.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/31/us/politics/trump-grip-republicans-polls.html

But, back to your messianic point, there's still this quote:

Jennifer Winterbauer, who has “We the People” tattooed on her forearm, got to the Trump rally — her sixth — days in advance, sleeping in her truck to be among the first in line. She said she believed Mr. Trump was “sent by God to save this country.” Still, she disagrees with him on the vaccine.

“I don’t think he should be promoting it at all,” she said. “I’ve had Covid and I’ve had the flu, and the flu was much worse.”

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Jennifer Winterbauer, who has “We the People” tattooed on her forearm, got to the Trump rally — her sixth — days in advance, sleeping in her truck to be among the first in line. She said she believed Mr. Trump was “sent by God to save this country.” Still, she disagrees with him on the vaccine.

“I don’t think he should be promoting it at all,” she said. “I’ve had Covid and I’ve had the flu, and the flu was much worse.”

She just has future failed insurrectionist (or terrorist using the Ted Cruz lexicon) written all over her.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, bolverk said:

“Things feel like they’ve been shifting,” said Patrick Ruffini, a Republican pollster who regularly surveys Mr. Trump’s standing in the party. “It’s a strong attachment. It’s one that very likely would win a Republican primary today. But is it the same ironclad, monolithic, Soviet-like attachment that we saw when Donald Trump was the incumbent president? No, it is not.”

In a recent Associated Press survey, 44 percent of Republicans said they did not want Mr. Trump to run for president again, while a potential G.O.P. rival in 2024, Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida, has narrowed the gap in other way-too-early snapshots of a hypothetical primary — new signs of potential vulnerability for the former president.

In a reversal from Mr. Trump’s White House days, an NBC News poll in late January found that 56 percent of Republicans now define themselves more as supporters of the Republican Party, compared to 36 percent who said they are supporters of Mr. Trump first.

The Trump-first faction had accounted for 54 percent of Republican voters in October 2020. The erosion since then spanned every demographic: men and women, moderates and conservatives, people of every age.

Among the biggest swings was in a group widely seen as Mr. Trump’s most loyal constituency: white Republicans without college degrees, who went from 62 percent identifying first with Mr. Trump to 36 percent.

Frank Luntz, a prominent G.O.P. pollster, said Republican support for the former president is moving in complex ways — simultaneously both intensifying and diminishing.

“The Trump group is smaller today than it has been in five years, but it is even more intense, more passionate and more unforgiving of his critics,” Mr. Luntz said. “As people slowly drift away — which they are — those who are still with him are even stronger in their support.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/31/us/politics/trump-grip-republicans-polls.html

Is it kind of amazing she thinks he was sent by God yet disagrees with him?  I mean, if Jesus showed up she would say, “I am glad God sent you to save America but I don’t agree with the whole help the poor thing”.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I read this story earlier and I wondered how people answer Party first because Trump IS the party to them.

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Is it kind of amazing she thinks he was sent by God yet disagrees with him?  I mean, if Jesus showed up she would say, “I am glad God sent you to save America but I don’t agree with the whole help the poor thing”.  

".... and I'll be keeping all my money thank you very much. And I'm still going to be hating people who are different from me. And yeah, won't be loving my enemies either. Wait we have nothing in common."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I see you have met Evangelical Christians.  

• Like 2

I don't think it's about mental illness, exactly. It's more about what these people need to tell themselves they think or believe in a particular moment to rationalize why they feel a certain way about something. 

I don't really have the training to explain it properly, but an example of what I mean is how some people convince themselves that liberals kill babies as an excuse to justify their hatred of liberals. They already hate liberals for a variety of reasons (they don't like that liberals want to raise their taxes, that liberals want minorities to be treated equally under the law, that liberals reject a conservative patriarchal social order, etc.). But they don't really understand their own reasons and aren't fully comfortable with some of them, so they convince themselves that liberals are baby killers because that's a great justification to hate someone. Telling themselves that liberals are baby killers gives them permission to hate liberals and, more importantly, to act against liberals (which is usually limited to acting against liberals politically, i.e. voting against them, but can sometimes be used to justify violence). 

That isn't mental illness, it's basic human psychology. We all do it in different ways. Our brains may be wired a little bit differently than their brains and we have different values and beliefs that will be inputs into this process, but we're doing the same shit all the time. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I'm a little behind the times here, but Trump said he would pardon insurrectionists and thousands of people CHEERED?

We're so unbelievably fucked. How do we ever walk back from half-ish of the country openly rooting for insurrection? That's a rhetorical question.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

On 1/30/2022 at 10:40 AM, Beau Vine said:

Agree with this.  They're going to fix him up like Jeremy Bentham and parade him around the country for rallies/viewings.

It's much safer than actually burying him and having people desecrating his grave every day.  And more profitable.

I went to the Soviet Union in 1987, only one year before the collapse began and people were still lining up to see Lenin's tomb. So much so that I didn't get in line because I'd been to the wax museum across from the Alamo.

My point is that they will create a wax figure of Trump doing his thumbs up pose, airbrush some Tang powder on it, add a Pomeranian dog tail on the head and people will buy tickets to pose next to it for decades.

• Like 1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/atlanta-da-georgia-prosecutor-fbi-security-trump-probe-154544156.html

During a rally in Conroe, Texas, on Saturday night, Trump railed against ongoing probes into his efforts to overturn Joe Biden’s victory in the 2020 presidential election.

“If these radical, vicious, racist prosecutors do anything wrong or illegal, I hope we are going to have in this country the biggest protests we have ever had in Washington, D.C., in New York, in Atlanta and elsewhere because our country and our elections are corrupt,” Trump said.

I hope these rubes come protest in NYC.  It will be really fun to watch the counter protest against them.  I know I would be at the counter protest.  

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

It's more amazing that people think he was sent by God but he doesn't know anything about the Bible or even that Jesus ministered to love the poor, immigrants and lowliest for they will inherit the earth.

33 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I don't think it's about mental illness, exactly. It's more about what these people need to tell themselves they think or believe in a particular moment to rationalize why they feel a certain way about something. 

I don't really have the training to explain it properly, but an example of what I mean is how some people convince themselves that liberals kill babies as an excuse to justify their hatred of liberals. They already hate liberals for a variety of reasons (they don't like that liberals want to raise their taxes, that liberals want minorities to be treated equally under the law, that liberals reject a conservative patriarchal social order, etc.). But they don't really understand their own reasons and aren't fully comfortable with some of them, so they convince themselves that liberals are baby killers because that's a great justification to hate someone. Telling themselves that liberals are baby killers gives them permission to hate liberals and, more importantly, to act against liberals (which is usually limited to acting against liberals politically, i.e. voting against them, but can sometimes be used to justify violence). 

That isn't mental illness, it's basic human psychology. We all do it in different ways. Our brains may be wired a little bit differently than their brains and we have different values and beliefs that will be inputs into this process, but we're doing the same shit all the time. 

I was more referring to evangelicals in general.  Believing in their fairy tale and now that this horrifying human is somehow the answer to their fever dream of the rapture.  It's fucking insane.

I had a very 1984-ish dream that I'm sure was also partly inspired by Don't Look Up. Dotard started chanting 2 + 2 = 5 at his rallies. The results were as you would imagine. In the dream, I think it was MTG who said something like "of course two plus two equals five". 

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Everyone has prejudices and relies on stereotypes to one degree or another. I've been known to imply that the entirety of the male student body at A&M molests farm animals, when I think we all know that at most, its like 65%. the point being we can all do better in this area. 

The rest molest each other, right?

My question is why can't the so called RINOs he is attacking like Collins and McConnell just give ground a bit and join in to pass some of this stuff the Dems are doing.  I mean actually work towards bipartisanship and just politically kill off the Trump movement?   Seems a move like that would send them into some death spiral and they'd increasingly show their ass enough that no one in their right mind would support them after a bit.

Yeah, the Red team loses some ground.  But they've got the SC sewed up for a while.  Cut their losses, kill off the Trump wing and move on with a new strategy.  

But I get it, they have been quietly pushed towards this by the elite, the dominionists and white supremacists.  So too late to give ground and retrench, apparently.

5 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

My question is why can't the so called RINOs he is attacking like Collins and McConnell just give ground a bit and join in to pass some of this stuff the Dems are doing.  I mean actually work towards bipartisanship and just politically kill off the Trump movement?   Seems a move like that would send them into some death spiral and they'd increasingly show their ass enough that no one in their right mind would support them after a bit.

Yeah, the Red team loses some ground.  But they've got the SC sewed up for a while.  Cut their losses, kill off the Trump wing and move on with a new strategy.  

But I get it, they have been quietly pushed towards this by the elite, the dominionists and white supremacists.  So too late to give ground and retrench, apparently.

Because “moderate” conservatives are ultimately more sympathetic to violent fascists than they are to moderate liberals. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

It's more amazing that people think he was sent by God but he doesn't know anything about the Bible or even that Jesus ministered to love the poor, immigrants and lowliest for they will inherit the earth.

He knows Two Corinthians.

24 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

There are competing factions in Republican universe.

The deal with the "RINOs" is they will take credit for anything good the Dems pass and point fingers on anything that doesn't work out.  It's a win-win for people who don't care about the US.

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

They frequently reference the Book of Esther.  Which, if you know the Bible, is a little terrifying.  Short version: Esther is one of the many Jews living in Persia. The Persia king takes an interest in her.  She uses him (a non-believer) to thwart a plot to kill the Jews and instead kill the conspirators.  So, innocent interpretation is that Christians can utilize a non-believer like Trump.  The scarier interpretation extends the prophecy to include the killing of anyone who meant to do the Christians harm - aka, you and me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

He knows Two Corinthians.

Well, President Trump...could you at least tell us which of the two Corinthians is your favorite?

"Uh...both.  I like 'em both equally.  Because to me, they're both very special."  

Ermehgard!  He worships like we worships!

4 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Definitely.  The Trump rallies are a special case.

But I am really talking about campaign "rallies" more generally.  I am wary and weary of the type of pandering that tends to go on at these things.  And the sort of fanaticism involved.  It strikes me as very lightweight political involvement, or just something akin to idol worship.

I'd go to hear any of the past presidents (except Trump) speak at something not campaign related.  My church hosts these type of things from time to time.  They're not political, per se, just educational.

And the idea of a "campaign" rally for a guy that isn't even running for office (yet anyway), is just super absurd.

Can you imagine W or Obama having such a thing in similar circumstances?

So, Trump told his followers to riot if anything bad happens to him, while also saying he'll pardon the 1/6 rioters. Hmm. What to take away from that..

Yeah Fulton County sent a letter to the FBI asking for assistance because it kind of sounds like Trump wants another 1/6 there if he's convicted.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/01/31/willis-fbi-help-trump-comments/

Edited by Red Five
link
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Texas Renaissance Festival is not far down the road from Conroe, however all of those folks have already packed up and are getting ready to get on the road for the Renaissance festival touring season or whatever.   Most of them will be at Sherwood Faire, outside of Elgin/Bastrop in the not-too distant future.  

And I would be surprised if a lot of those folks are Trumpkins.  Lots of folks who are of alternative communities that would make Trumpkins uncomfortable.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

For awhile they let the tail wag the dog, because it seemed to be working out better than what they had been doing. "Sure Trump is a lying psychopath (Cruz and others said as much multiple times during the 2016 primary season), is a narcissist entirely motivated by his own well-being, has a complete disregard for truth and lives in an alternate reality, and has a room temperature IQ,  but hey.....he gets votes, and Hillary had those emails."   Then the tail became the dog.

The party and its voting block have been taken over by fucking morons. They will assemble by the thousands in hopes that JFK Jr will return to lead them to the promised land. An ever increasing number of elected GOP politicians are posting social media content armed to the teeth like Rambo and talking about armed conflict.  And nobody from GOP leadership will stand up and say  "you guys are fucking morons, stop with the ridiculous conspiracy theories, stop with the racism, stop with the revolution bullshit,"  because that discourse appeals to an ever increasing number of GOP voters, and they need every one of those votes. Liberalism and democrats have literally become evil incarnate to the vast majority of the GOP.

There is no desire for bipartisanship in the GOP, in truth its the opposite. They have to perpetuate the lie that the majority of the country did in fact vote for Trump to bolster the "movement's " validity. Because fat donnie didnt win, the path forward is to convince the rubes that the Democrats stole the election. Democrats = enemy of democracy. You cant make that the backbone of your party platform and then turn around the next day and work together on immigration or health care reform. There is zero evidence of election fraud, and I doubt any of those fucknuts would go under oath and claim as much, but that doesnt stop them from promoting that bullshit. There simply is no place in the party for people who think otherwise. Its why the Kinzinger's of the world are forced to announce they will no longer seek re-election once  they speak against this lunacy. there is no place in the GQP for them. 

Without the peaceful transition of power from one administration to the next, a democracy is worthless. The GOP is extinguishing democracy with its relentless drive to overturn the election, because that's preferable than having democrats in charge. Look at their rhetoric. Its a lost cause.  They elected to chase the nuclear option, and now no matter what happens in the midterms or the 24 elections, etc... the country suffers because contesting elections has become the norm. The party either self-immolates or they win back power and continue to rachet up the lunacy. Hoping they meander back to the middle seems like a lost cause. They are all in on idiocy as evidenced by the needless deaths of hundreds of thousands of unvaccinated rubes

Yep. Time to declare the Republican Party as illegal and go from there. Not ideal but they’ve given us no choice. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

One thing you need to understand about Trump is he is a coward at heart and cowards always back down. He’s a cornered rat right now so he’s lashing out. 

still amazing that a former president has FULLY ADMITTED to trying to overthrow an election and they are still walking the streets a free man

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

still amazing that a former president has FULLY ADMITTED to trying to overthrow an election and they are still walking the streets a free man

I hope those days are numbered. He needs to be guarded in a maximum security prison yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

For awhile they let the tail wag the dog, because it seemed to be working out better than what they had been doing. "Sure Trump is a lying psychopath (Cruz and others said as much multiple times during the 2016 primary season), is a narcissist entirely motivated by his own well-being, has a complete disregard for truth and lives in an alternate reality, and has a room temperature IQ,  but hey.....he gets votes, and Hillary had those emails."   Then the tail became the dog.

The party and its voting block have been taken over by fucking morons. They will assemble by the thousands in hopes that JFK Jr will return to lead them to the promised land. An ever increasing number of elected GOP politicians are posting social media content armed to the teeth like Rambo and talking about armed conflict.  And nobody from GOP leadership will stand up and say  "you guys are fucking morons, stop with the ridiculous conspiracy theories, stop with the racism, stop with the revolution bullshit,"  because that discourse appeals to an ever increasing number of GOP voters, and they need every one of those votes. Liberalism and democrats have literally become evil incarnate to the vast majority of the GOP.

There is no desire for bipartisanship in the GOP, in truth its the opposite. They have to perpetuate the lie that the majority of the country did in fact vote for Trump to bolster the "movement's " validity. Because fat donnie didnt win, the path forward is to convince the rubes that the Democrats stole the election. Democrats = enemy of democracy. You cant make that the backbone of your party platform and then turn around the next day and work together on immigration or health care reform. There is zero evidence of election fraud, and I doubt any of those fucknuts would go under oath and claim as much, but that doesnt stop them from promoting that bullshit. There simply is no place in the party for people who think otherwise. Its why the Kinzinger's of the world are forced to announce they will no longer seek re-election once  they speak against this lunacy. there is no place in the GQP for them. 

Without the peaceful transition of power from one administration to the next, a democracy is worthless. The GOP is extinguishing democracy with its relentless drive to overturn the election, because that's preferable than having democrats in charge. Look at their rhetoric. Its a lost cause.  They elected to chase the nuclear option, and now no matter what happens in the midterms or the 24 elections, etc... the country suffers because contesting elections has become the norm. The party either self-immolates or they win back power and continue to rachet up the lunacy. Hoping they meander back to the middle seems like a lost cause. They are all in on idiocy as evidenced by the needless deaths of hundreds of thousands of unvaccinated rubes

Everything about this is spot on.  Everything.

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement