Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

13 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

I am vividly remembering being in my high school IB physics class at U-High (known on this board as University Lab, the high school that is on the LSU campus), getting a bad grade on a test, and saying something like "If I don't fix my grades in this class I might end up at LSU." My classmates, 80% of which were matriculating to LSU, were very offended. I'm now a lawyer and my undergrad degree means jack shit, so bully for me I guess. 

I think what you've said is reasonable, I just don't think it really tips things in our favor as much as we say it does or has overwhelmed other stuff in the past. For an ex-NFLer, as most of these guys think they will be, what does their undergrad degree even mean?

There are a fuck ton of student athletes, and yes even football players, who weigh the value of a degree as a backup to the nfl, even if they think they’re going to play in the nfl. Myron Rolle didn’t go to Stanford or Rice, or an Ivy. And Hayden Connor came to Texas. And there’s a reason a huge chunk of the football players end up in McCombs. You’re discounting a huge percentage of the team, and recruits for which academics does move the needle. It may not be the primary, but if it’s 20% of many kids decisioning factor, we’ll, that’s a huge chunk. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

How awesome would it be to clandestinely put in that old chemical into the pool of one of our rivals pool parties that provides a bright blue chemical reaction to urine.  Now THAT is a prank truly worthy operation for some undergrads!  Hell get the science department involved, and maybe we can make pee purple in Baton Rouge, Maroon in College Station, and on and on.

I can just see the billows coming from some hot hooker-type coed... and the side eye of all the attending recruits...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

There are a fuck ton of student athletes, and yes even football players, who weigh the value of a degree as a backup to the nfl, even if they think they’re going to play in the nfl. Myron Rolle didn’t go to Stanford or Rice, or an Ivy. And Hayden Connor came to Texas. And there’s a reason a huge chunk of the football players end up in McCombs. You’re discounting a huge percentage of the team, and recruits for which academics does move the needle. It may not be the primary, but if it’s 20% of many kids decisioning factor, we’ll, that’s a huge chunk. 

How huge would you say that chunk of football players in McCombs is?

14 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

It was an hour, and despite all those tits, still complete shit. Agony was being stuck at home as a small child on Saturday night with your alcoholic father and forced to watch a seemingly never-ending stream of Ernest Tubb, Porter Waggoner, Bill Anderson and fucking Hee-Haw.

Yes, I have trauma 🤣

Fucking KTVT. 

“It’s 10 o’clock. Do you know where your children are?”

Yeah, fucking ready to blow my brains out if I see Faron Young one more got damned time.

What were we talking about?

At least this show had wall to wall tits.  Not sure what better options that were available back then for a pre pubescent boy to enjoy.  I guess you would have preferred Barnaby Jones? 

22 minutes ago, stork642 said:

At least this show had wall to wall tits.  Not sure what better options that were available back then for a pre pubescent boy to enjoy.  I guess you would have preferred Barnaby Jones? 

Mid 70s Wonder Woman and the Bionic Woman and maybe Barbarella in the late 60s? And definitely Gidget.

Gidget (1959) | MUBI

Edited by Bevo

I don’t have numbers man, but it’s a decent amount. I’m not looking up the roster and majors one by one. 

Fair enough. I’m not gonna look that shit up either and I don’t mean to try and refute the overall intent of your post, regardless of how many McCombs students are on football scholarships.

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t have numbers man, but it’s a decent amount. I’m not looking up the roster and majors one by one. 

I dump the roster from the UT Athletics website into the depth chart spreadsheet periodically (look for the Roster tab). Here's a filter with no Undeclared (38), Exercise Science (2), Physical Culture and Sports (10), or blanks (20).

image.png.840c4d94f4f2c3950728bbb295215789.png

• Hook 'Em 7

9 minutes ago, AP101S said:

I dump the roster from the UT Athletics website into the depth chart spreadsheet periodically (look for the Roster tab). Here's a filter with no Undeclared (38), Exercise Science (2), Physical Culture and Sports (10), or blanks (20).

So just under 6% of 85 man roster, with another 58 essentially not having chosen yet. If you plow that same percent over, it’s another 3.3 players, so basically 10% of the roster. That’s not nothing. 

edit: actually never mind not all those dudes are on scholarship. I guess my perception is just anecdotal, since you see on the LHN shows Ehlinger, RoJo, Jeff McCullough and all those guys filmed at McCombs. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

IMG_0814.webp.d63f2a15d48593af38bd2551ad125cf0.webp

There were certainly worse ways to spend 30 minutes 

There's one missing from the bunch:

Barbi Benton | Hee Haw Wiki | Fandom

13 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Still better than Lawrence Welk

When I had to watch this with my grandmothers, the only part that kept my interest.

ANACANI 10

3 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

At the time I was a little kid just trying to figure out all the differences between boys and girls. There wasn’t any sex education, especially in elementary school and my parents didn’t talk about stuff like that. But then I saw the Hee Haw Honeys and it all made perfect sense 

Benny Hill was the antithesis of Hee Haw

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, AP101S said:

Texas is forced to take 4 DTs this class, because of the disaster that IDL recruiting has been. 

2023:

Mitchell-359 pounds

2022:

Bledsoe - 266 pounds

Ross - 256 pounds

Bryant - 300 pounds

Swanson- 259 pounts

2021:

Murphy- 300 punds

The story is not over on Bledsoe. HE still could put on the weight and is very talented. Ross and Swanson seem like bad takes at IDL. Last 3 classes have yielded only 3 guys with the necessary size to contribute to this date. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Texas is forced to take 4 DTs this class, because of the disaster that IDL recruiting has been. 

2023:

Mitchell-359 pounds

2022:

Bledsoe - 266 pounds

Ross - 256 pounds

Bryant - 300 pounds

Swanson- 259 pounts

2021:

Murphy- 300 punds

The story is not over on Bledsoe. HE still could put on the weight and is very talented. Ross and Swanson seem like bad takes at IDL. Last 3 classes have yielded only 3 guys with the necessary size to contribute to this date. 

Has anyone seen Swanson or Ross or Bledsoe play preferably against D1 linemen? Can any of them man Edge?

17 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Has anyone seen Swanson or Ross or Bledsoe play preferably against D1 linemen? Can any of them man Edge?

The staff has and they are taking 4-5 IDL this cycle, so you have their answer to your 1st question. 

Bledsoe is uber-athletic, so he probably can. They have moved Ross to Edge. I did hear that Bledsoe has split some time between the 2 in the past. Havent heard anything recently. The fact that 2022 IDL recruiting has obvious misses at the intended position, is why Texas is scrambling in this cycle.  That and only taking only 1 in 2023. You dont take 2x the starters at a position, unless there were screw ups. 

Edited by Codaxx

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

What we need is an in-depth discussion and comparison of our academics vs stanfords. 

17 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

It was an hour, and despite all those tits, still complete shit. Agony was being stuck at home as a small child on Saturday night with your alcoholic father and forced to watch a seemingly never-ending stream of Ernest Tubb, Porter Waggoner, Bill Anderson and fucking Hee-Haw.

Yes, I have trauma 🤣

Fucking KTVT. 

Yeah, fucking ready to blow my brains out if I see Faron Young one more got damned time.

Funny. One man’s trash, I guess…

52 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IT says staff is high on Bledsoe just needs more development and Ross has looked good behind Sorrell

I hope it works out, but I certainly would not put money on a 6'2 250lb former HS DT transitioning to the edge and starring. Seems like a Finkley clone

18 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Yes, I have trauma 🤣

Fucking KTVT. 

Hey now, KTVT also had Slam Bang Theater!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I feel like I’ve heard one of the IT guys on the podcast saying that Swanson is showing some real ability, he’s just having trouble putting on weight and may have a longer development curve because of it. 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

The staff has and they are taking 4-5 IDL this cycle, so you have their answer to your 1st question. 

Bledsoe is uber-athletic, so he probably can. They have moved Ross to Edge. I did hear that Bledsoe has split some time between the 2 in the past. Havent heard anything recently. The fact that 2022 IDL recruiting has obvious misses at the intended position, is why Texas is scrambling in this cycle.  That and only taking only 1 in 2023. You dont take 2x the starters at a position, unless there were screw ups. 

it's been reported around here that Ross has pretty consistently had issues keeping weight on for whatever reason. i thought he flipped to DE for sure.

in case folks are curious re: positions and weight - front 7 depth chart from the Bowl game vs Washington was:

image.png.286227e88cbe23d2705e3208d4a1fb64.png

i thought Swanson was flipping to DE but looks like I was wrong. From IT a few months ago:

Zac Swanson season outlook

Swanson, a 6-foot-4, 259-pounder, saw limited action last year as adding bulk to his frame was his main priority over the course of the season. The Phoenix (Ariz.) Brophy Prep product possesses quickness and has given solid effort, but his contributions may continue to be limited until he approaches the 280-pound threshold.

Swanson played in two games in 2022, recording a solo tackle in the Longhorns’ season-opening win over ULM. 

Edited by NoName

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls