Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

7 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Steve Wiltfong (247 Sports), today. 

Key quotes:

On Simmons: "The majority of the intel is starting to really favor Texas as the Longhorns battle LSU and Miami among others down the stretch."

On Simmons: "A week ago they (the family) felt great around Baton Rouge, but not sure confidence is a high. Doesn’t seem the same as around Texas."

On Kobe Black: "The Aggies are rising with five-star cornerback Kobe Black (I’d still pick Texas today)."

Full article:

Blue-Chip Recruiting Buzz: Pulse on Colin Simmons, Michigan & LSU battle for 5-star QB, Aggies getting hot

Steve Wiltfong (247 Sports)

Hide contents

Blue-Chip Recruiting Buzz: Pulse on Colin Simmons, Michigan & LSU battle for 5-star QB, Aggies getting hot

Steve Wiltfong (247 Sports)

We are a day away from Duncanville (Texas) High five-star edge rusher Colin Simmons announcing his college decision.

The majority of the intel is starting to really favor Texas as the Longhorns battle LSU and Miami among others down the stretch.

Yes Miami is in there according to a source who told 247Sports on Tuesday that the Hurricanes are still battling for the coveted pass rusher. Simmons and his mother Monica McCarley returned to Coral Gables the first weekend of June for an official visit after having a great experience in the spring.

“Oh, my goodness,” McCarley said with a laugh. “Listen it was really, really nice. They pulled out all the stops. It was pretty cool. My takeaway of course Jason Taylor is an amazing coach. If anything he’d be the one coach I’d love for Colin to be coached by.”

Simmons loved it as well.

“Everything,” McCarley said of what her son liked. “That’s the only thing he describes. He says Miami checked off all the boxes for him.”

As Mario Cristobal and Miami work to pull a shocker, sources around Austin believe it will be them for Simmons when he steps to the podium on Wednesday afternoon. The festivities can be watched on the 247Sports YouTube page beginning at 2:45 p.m. An independent source told 247Sports on Tuesday evening that the Longhorns have had control of this recruitment the last three days.

“I love UT,” McCarley has told 247Sports. “I think it would be a great fit for Colin as far as when he gets into commercial real estate with the alumni and connections they offer.

“Of course, Colin wants to play in the SEC and the fact they’re going to the SEC means a lot for him. He has a close relationship with Sark. And they are also developing their coaching staff. I know they did bring on a new defensive end, edge coach, especially for his position. I know they’re trying to grow into becoming a championship team.”

Sources around LSU have always felt good about their position for Simmons, and that included after his most recent trip the last weekend of July and again when Simmons released his announcement date. The family loves the culture, staff and direction of the Tigers program. A week ago they felt great around Baton Rouge, but not sure confidence is a high. Doesn’t seem the same as around Texas.

Intel on the battle for the nation’s No. 1 2025 QB

Belleville (Mich.) High five-star junior quarterback Bryce Underwood has a decision date scheduled for Jan. 9. Sources indicate that timeline could move up with Michigan and LSU battling for the coveted passer and two-time state champion. He visited both at the end of July.

Underwood has now made three visits to Baton Rouge this calendar year and we expect him to get back for a game this fall. He has yet to attend a game in Death Valley and feel that atmosphere from that perspective. Joe Sloan is leading that recruitment.

With Michigan, Underwood has been to Ann Arbor a lot where he has built a strong rapport with Kirk Campbell. The recent track record on the field, the strong connection built with Campbell and everything the Maize and Blue represents in-state is attractive to Underwood.

Other schools have continued to try and make a move with the talented Underwood, but LSU and Michigan continue to lead the pack.

Texas A&M pushing for another terrific class

The Aggies have been a mainstay atop the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings and this 2024 cycle is no different as Jimbo Fisher and his staff sit on the nation’s No. 13 recruiting class and closing in on more top targets.

The next one that could jump in is Seattle (Wash.) O’Dea Top247’s offensive lineman Isendre Ahfua. The 6-foot-4, 310-pound Ahfua will announce his commitment on Saturday evening with the Aggies leading on the 247Sports Crystal Ball over Miami and Utah.

Ahfua would be commit No. 19 for Texas A&M if it goes that way, as Fisher and company put together what could be one of the best offensive line hauls in the SEC. They already beat LSU for Weston Davis and have coveted in-state guys Ashton Funk and Coen Echols in the fold as well. In addition to those names, I still like where Texas A&M stands with League City (Texas) Clear Springs Top247 offensive tackle Blake Ivy as well.

Beyond Ivey, Texas A&M remains in great position to ultimately land 247Sports’s No. 1 ranked athlete Terry Bussey. The five-star recruit out of Timpson (Texas) High had said in the past he was aiming to make a college decision before his senior season but now we expect him to take officials to at least LSU and A&M.

The Aggies are rising with five-star cornerback Kobe Black (I’d still pick Texas today), they’re battling Oklahoma for Top247 defensive lineman Nigel Smith II, they’re trending for in-state linebacker Xavier Atkins and they’ll continue pushing for guys like five-stars in defensive end Aydin Breland, receivers Ryan Wingo and Micah Hudson and Top247 defensive end Zina Umeozulu.

The A&M part was so bizarre to me to add in and Wiltfong still seems to be in love with them despite Elko leaving. "Look at all of thes highly ranked guys they're recruiting!" I'm not sure about Breland (it'd be bizarre for them to get a 5* out of Mater Dei) but they're definitely not leading for Wingo, Hudson, Black, or Umeozulu so why put this in the article at all?

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Teryor said:

“I love UT,” McCarley has told 247Sports. “I think it would be a great fit for Colin as far as when he gets into commercial real estate with the alumni and connections they offer.

I know one of the largest commercial real estate companies in Austin, Endeavor Real Estate Group - fraternity brothers and more. Big UT fans so they could definitely help.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 4

Since Satya isn't around, I would just caution people to not assume just because the LSU mods are talking about flipping their pick that Simmons is Texas-bound. This dude has played the media game extensively. This could easily be a last-minute head fake.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2

12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Since Satya isn't around, I would just caution people to not assume just because the LSU mods are talking about flipping their pick that Simmons is Texas-bound. This dude has played the media game extensively. This could easily be a last-minute head fake.

True. But also

steve carell ugh GIF by Romy

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

State of the Program IT video released 45 min ago or so.....

EN - Knocked the CS official visit out of park, they'll go into more details about that down the road. List of pros and cons skewed Texas more than LSU but you never how CS would weight those. EN specifically mentions proximity and GH followed up with "close to home" discussion and family factoring into that. Mentions that family would like to stay in Texas long term. The long term opportunities to stay close to home seems like quite the factor as well. 

"Close to home is going to win out with Colin." - GH

Perhaps @Pato del Muerto said was part of the pitch from LSU regarding the bolded

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Obviously things shifted big time over the last 6 months or so, but at the beginning of the year I didn't think we had a shot in hell at winning this recruitment. The dude attended Southern vs LSU instead of Bama vs Texas last September. Just felt like an extreme long-shot.

image.gif.1ca21e6522e5e6ed9a0eeaf0a3040fa5.gif

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Obviously things shifted big time over the last 6 months or so, but at the beginning of the year I didn't think we had a shot in hell at winning this recruitment. The dude attended Southern vs LSU instead of Bama vs Texas last September. Just felt like an extreme long-shot.

maybe he's just a superfan of the Human Jukebox?

tXpMJE.gif

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This seems like a perfect time for me to point out to everyone here that our NIL isn't even remotely close to being completely weaponized, Death Star style. In fact, we're still short on a lot of necessary metrics of a bunch of people just giving $20 bucks a month to the TexasOneFund. Y'all think this is evidecne that we've arrived, and we're good, but it is absolutely the fucking opposite of what we want, and where we want to be as an NIL fanbase. We've barely even broken the surface, and while the results look good right now, I've got to tell you, we are at best, at BEST, spinning fucking plates to make this shit work and happen in the short term. The long term outlook is still a giant motherfucking question mark. 

So if you don't give money every month to OneFund, you need to start. And you need to grab 3-4 buddies each and have them fucking do it as well. Because counting on big donors to step up over and over isn't realistic. 

The best, and I mean the best thing we have gonig for us right now is the allure of corporate possibilities, and the fact that other fanbases are way poorer and more disorganized than we are, and a chunk of that is because some of our fans can see around fucking corners and got to work. 

@RGBIII are there any plans to promote the fund in the stadium this year or is that still a no-go?  I still think a LOT of casual fans have no idea it exists or that you can donate small amounts.

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Texas knows how crucial it is to prevent LSU from getting their teeth into DFW. A&M and LSU already take enough Houston area talent, and Texas knows they can’t relinquish their stranglehold on DFW

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sark can fucking recruit. He's likeable, and smart.And at this point it looks like he can identify good coaching hires, although we had some bumps in that iniital staff road. His biggest question mark at this point is coaching and not stepping on rakes he's left in the yard. His recruiting and the emergecne of NIL and how it relates to Austin and the all the shit we've discussed about the biggest city without a pro team, etc., cannot be understated.

Now show us on the field. 

Not to derail the thread, but as good of a play caller as Sark is as an OC, I’d rather he give up those duties to someone else on game day while he’s the head coach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

This seems like a perfect time for me to point out to everyone here that our NIL isn't even remotely close to being completely weaponized, Death Star style. In fact, we're still short on a lot of necessary metrics of a bunch of people just giving $20 bucks a month to the TexasOneFund. Y'all think this is evidecne that we've arrived, and we're good, but it is absolutely the fucking opposite of what we want, and where we want to be as an NIL fanbase. We've barely even broken the surface, and while the results look good right now, I've got to tell you, we are at best, at BEST, spinning fucking plates to make this shit work and happen in the short term. The long term outlook is still a giant motherfucking question mark. 

So if you don't give money every month to OneFund, you need to start. And you need to grab 3-4 buddies each and have them fucking do it as well. Because counting on big donors to step up over and over isn't realistic. 

The best, and I mean the best thing we have gonig for us right now is the allure of corporate possibilities, and the fact that other fanbases are way poorer and more disorganized than we are, and a chunk of that is because some of our fans can see around fucking corners and got to work. 

Started today.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Aside from Colt, is there plans to get former athletes from other sports involved in that?

Of course. Already happening

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Started today.

2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Just signed up for the monthly donation option as well. Hoping to help bring Texas Athletics back to a place we can all be proud of.

That’s what I’m talking about. This is what we need. Literally cut out one Starbucks or CFA meal a month, $10,$20,50 a month May not seem like a lot but it adds up quick. Get your friends in too!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

To add on…

100k people fill DKR for a game against Kansas. If all 100k of those people donated $10 a month to Texas One Fund, that’s 12 million a year. That would equate to the largest NIL budget in the country. Then add the whales and corporate plus the folks giving $50 instead of 10. Now we are talking about being double the budget of the next highest school. THATS the Death Star!

I did not realize it would be that easy to sign up. I am now in for $20 a month. 

• Hook 'Em 7

19 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

To add on…

100k people fill DKR for a game against Kansas. If all 100k of those people donated $10 a month to Texas One Fund, that’s 12 million a year. That would equate to the largest NIL budget in the country. Then add the whales and corporate plus the folks giving $50 instead of 10. Now we are talking about being double the budget of the next highest school. THATS the Death Star!

And what if those 100k people also told three other people to donate $10 a month? And then those three people got three more people to donate $10 a month? LIMITLESS NIL.

rolling in it youtube GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sark can fucking recruit. He's likeable, and smart.And at this point it looks like he can identify good coaching hires, although we had some bumps in that iniital staff road. His biggest question mark at this point is coaching and not stepping on rakes he's left in the yard. His recruiting and the emergecne of NIL and how it relates to Austin and the all the shit we've discussed about the biggest city without a pro team, etc., cannot be understated.

Now show us on the field. 

Why do you have to sully the good feelings with stupid shit like results. Get your shit together man. 

Signed up for monthly donations.
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

I would make sure your donation goes to football if that is what you want.  I just had to email them to make sure my monthly has been/will be going to football only. 

Feel free to DM if you don’t get a quick response

• Hook 'Em 2

Set up to donate to the general fund.  Thanks for doing this @RGBIII @closetojumping @SydneyCarton - again yall rock setting this up.  

Any word yet on LHF points?  I know that was going to happen and then NCAA came out with guidance and CDC said not for now.  A letter from LHF and making those points work for this donation seems like the game changer to me.  To get the 30k or whatever people that already donate to the LHF to donate to Texas One.  Then it gets fully weaponized.  I know yall can't snap your fingers and make that happen- I just haven't heard anything in a month or two and was curious 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls