Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

29 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

It was always going to be a challenge signing a big OL class after one of the best OL hauls ever a few years ago and so much depth. Going after OOS big fish who aren't afraid of competition isn't bad strategy. 

I agree and like I said, I'm glad they did it.  But it's not going to look very smart if we go 0-4 on the OOS guys and get snubbed when we circle back on all the guys who weren't good enough 3 months ago.  

1 hour ago, Fumbles said:

Eh, I'm certainly not despairing, but I don't like the way the coaches have handled this cycle at OL.  I'm glad that we recognized the in-state crop of OL talent was down and we decided to look out of state for guys that meet our standard.  Nyier Daniels, Daniel Calhoun, Brandon Baker, Deandre Carter, etc.  But even in a down year for in-state talent, Texas recruits will always be the lifeblood of the program.  Texas recruits will also feel a gravitational pull to UT that OOS guys don't.  OOS guys should always be seen as potential cherries on top, not Plan A to be relied on.  Michael Uini, Blake Ivey, and Ory Williams all seemed like gettable guys.  But (I have no inside information, just my impression from publicly available information so I could be way off base) it seems like the coaches invested more into chasing the OOS guys and other schools prioritized the Texas OL talent.  And now here we are, hoping that a California kid with stronger ties to Oregon than Texas decides to commit here to keep the OL class from looking like a Tom Herman OL class.

But it's a long way to signing day and Sark's staff have consistently shown an ability to close strong.  I'm not stressing it, we'll see how it plays out.  

Why not just go full @JFKFC and ask over and over why we aren't signing every single OL that enters the portal? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

40 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

I agree and like I said, I'm glad they did it.  But it's not going to look very smart if we go 0-4 on the OOS guys and get snubbed when we circle back on all the guys who weren't good enough 3 months ago.  

A solid year on the field and those recruits will be fine being a second/circle back option, if we happen to miss out on the main targets (which I doubt happens). 
Trust Believe GIF

• Haha 1

I’d like to hope that the days of max Merrill and sawyer goram Welch being on scholarship are over. Hopefully as they matriculate out one way or another, the entirety of the room will be able to compete and contribute above a practice squad level. 

I think the empty scholarships are the last roster mismanagement issue sark needs to fix- and has made progress on some areas. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) Ross to Texas would be an all-time shocker. Give me a fucking break.

Yes, but Ross and Simmons manning the edge would be kind of nice. In fact, our DL haul plus DE haul plus our linebackers from last year could give offenses a little to worry about, especially with MM, (Holmes), Black, Wilson, Williams, Roberson, JJR in the defensive backfield.

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yes, but Ross and Simmons manning the edge would be kind of nice. In fact, our DL haul plus DE haul plus our linebackers from last year could give offenses a little to worry about, especially with MM, (Holmes), Black, Wilson, Williams, Roberson, JJR in the defensive backfield.

You know what would also be awesome on the outside? 1986 Lawrence Taylor manning the opposite side of Simmons. 

Who gives a fuck about that kind of silly nonsense? The point is that Ross is using Texas as a hat on the table. This discussion has nothing to do with the real world beyond that understanding. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You know what would also be awesome on the outside? 1986 Lawrence Taylor manning the opposite side of Simmons. 

Who gives a fuck about that kind of silly nonsense? The point is that Ross is using Texas as a hat on the table. This discussion has nothing to do with the real world beyond that understanding. 

image.gif.62b31e46068e9dc630376ebac8a19a97.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I would take a 64-year old LT over Ovie. 

• Haha 3

On 8/19/2023 at 11:12 PM, Magus Ossis said:

Actually both ‘dominant’ and ‘dominate’ are correct. It goes back to the Latin dominor, a deponent verb. It has passive forms (like the pp dominatus) that have active meaning. And then we have the expected active participial forms that give us the more customary -ant ending.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe “deviant” and “deviate” are similar. I only know this because the word “deviate” is used in the criminal codes in phrases such as, “deviate sexual behavior.” It used to irritate the hell out of me. 

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

2) The handwringing over OL recruiting is representative of a bunch of dicklessness on this board and nothing regarding reality. The last two classes have hit. They like all of those guys and Flood knows what he is doing. If they land Baker, the rich get richer. If they don’t, cry in private, please. 

image.png.e7ff732e6f4019e3d1823aee17f79ff0.png

turns out having a bunch of young(ish) dudes who are good at OL makes it somewhat hard to recruit highly ranked dudes at that position.

LT and RT were set in stone once Jones came back. Center has started 26 straight games. you have some combo of Conner/Hutson/Campbell/Williams/Neto who are going to be hard to shake up guards. you have high ceiling/low floor guys that are currently true freshmen.

people aren't used to not having a shit OL room with needs every year. when was the last time Texas had an OL room this good and/or deep? 09? had a guys with 26 starts at RT, a guy who had just started that season at RG but who started i think every game that year?, 35 starts at C, 31 starts at RG, 42 starts at LT.

https://www.huskermax.com/games/2009/files/13texas_depth.pdf

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

image.png.e7ff732e6f4019e3d1823aee17f79ff0.png

turns out having a bunch of young(ish) dudes who are good at OL makes it somewhat hard to recruit highly ranked dudes at that position.

LT and RT were set in stone once Jones came back. Center has started 26 straight games. you have some combo of Conner/Hutson/Campbell/Williams/Neto who are going to be hard to shake up guards. you have high ceiling/low floor guys that are currently true freshmen.

people aren't used to not having a shit OL room with needs every year. when was the last time Texas had an OL room this good and/or deep? 09? had a guys with 26 starts at RT, a guy who had just started that season at RG but who started i think every game that year?, 35 starts at C, 31 starts at RG, 42 starts at LT.

https://www.huskermax.com/games/2009/files/13texas_depth.pdf

I cant bring myself to go through the ugly history of the Texas OL the last decade, but is this the 1st year that there isnt a freshmen starting by default? 

3 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Our OL was complete shit in 09. Need I remind you of the attempted murder of Colt McCoy by Ndomikung Suh in which no one wearing a number between 50 and 79 offered any assistance whatsoever?

Yup.  Last really good Texas oline was 2006.

• Hook 'Em 6

15 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Our OL was complete shit in 09. Need I remind you of the attempted murder of Colt McCoy by Ndamukong Suh in which no one wearing a number between 50 and 79 offered any assistance whatsoever?

you mean the interior DL that was a Heisman finalist and finished 4th in the Heisman voting, won the AP CFB POY (first and only defensive player ever to win that award), Nagurski Trophy, Bednarik Award, Lombardi Award, Outland Trophy and was a unanimous All American before going #2 in the NFL draft? that guy?

image.png.443de9f8585794bb97e3f4abf77fd7a4.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe “deviant” and “deviate” are similar. I only know this because the word “deviate” is used in the criminal codes in phrases such as, “deviate sexual behavior.” It used to irritate the hell out of me. 

Don't call me a linguist, but I think there is a tradition in the English language to modify the pronunciation of the word in these cases to help differentiate the word's given role.  Such as dom•en•ayt and dom•en•uht... Deev•e•ayt and deev•e•uht

Helps greatly in making it all less irritating 

53 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Our OL was complete shit in 09. Need I remind you of the attempted murder of Colt McCoy by Ndamukong Suh in which no one wearing a number between 50 and 79 offered any assistance whatsoever?

Dude is one of the best to ever play. And I don't think you can say the OL was complete shit when we were in the championship game. It's certainly fair to argue their inability to protect Colt was the biggest contributing factor to the loss, but they weren't complete shit. 

47 minutes ago, NoName said:

you mean the interior DL that was a Heisman finalist and finished 4th in the Heisman voting, won the AP CFB POY (first and only defensive player ever to win that award), Nagurski Trophy, Bednarik Award, Lombardi Award, Outland Trophy and was a unanimous All American before going #2 in the NFL draft? that guy?

image.png.443de9f8585794bb97e3f4abf77fd7a4.png

Yeah, that guy. Our line was a disaster, regardless, but his game against us probably got him half those votes. We had no running game without Colt scrambling. Our pass game had to be quick all year because we had no pass pro. We were straight ass up front. We weren’t much better in 08.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Dude is one of the best to ever play. And I don't think you can say the OL was complete shit when we were in the championship game. It's certainly fair to argue their inability to protect Colt was the biggest contributing factor to the loss, but they weren't complete shit. 

I will never forget the close up shots of Suh sending Chris Hall and Michael Huey flying out of the screen like he was swatting a fly on his way to chasing Colt around in the backfield. I have never seen anything like that since. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I will never forget the close up shots of Suh sending Chris Hall and Michael Huey flying out of the screen like he was swatting a fly on his way to chasing Colt around in the backfield. I have never seen anything like that since. 

I was in the cheap seats and there were times I was afraid either Hall or Huey was going to land on me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

13 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I remember thinking our line 2018 being pretty decent with Anderson and Cosmi at tackles.

There was also another decent OL I think 2012 or 2013 maybe? The one with Donald Hawkins. Not elite by any means but good by comparison to all the bad OL years.

Recruiting update from IT. Sounds like OU is losing confidence with McKinley.

Spoiler

Inside Texas is keeping tabs on a handful of remaining targets for UT’s 2024 class, with updates on Jordan Ross, Dominick McKinley, Brandon Baker, Ryan Wingo, and more in Monday’s Inside Scoop.

Jordan Ross, EDGE, Birmingham (Ala.) Vestavia Hills

The 6-foot-4.5, 215-pounder will announce his college decision at 7 p.m. central Monday night. Most of the chatter over the weekend revolved around Tennessee being considered the favorite and Alabama not being the pick. Assuming Alabama is actually out, that leaves Tennessee, Texas and Florida among the four finalists listed. Florida is not expected to be the pick by those that cover the Gators for On3. 

Texas would accept a commitment from Ross, but we haven’t heard enough a bout Texas and Ross’ decision as of Monday morning to think it could happen. We shall see what the remainder of the day provides. 

Dominick McKinley, DL, Lafayette (La.) Acadiana

The 5-star will announce his commitment on September 1st. The teams mentioned most continue to be Texas, Ohio State, and Oklahoma. LSU and Texas A&M are on the list too. 

Sunday night, one source mentioned that OU could be slipping. That is not IT reporting that to be clear. McKinley has a quality relationship with Todd Bates. The Oklahoma side has though they were behind Texas in the last couple of weeks, but also felt like they are in the race. 

Members of the Texas staff have been in contact with McKinley and family since Saturday after the family took the first week of school off from the recruiting calls. 

Bottom line on the Texas side is that this recruitment is still up for grabs. There is confidence, but not necessarily overwhelming confidence as of Sunday night. There is a belief it could one of three ways right now. 

Brandon Baker, OL, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

Texas continues to be in a good position for Baker ahead of a scheduled official visit to Nebraska on September 16th. Baker and family stay in constant contact with Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood. 

The Oregon side of the recruitment isn’t expecting a September announcement by the five-star tackle. The Ducks side does feel like Texas is their biggest threat ahead of Ohio State. 

Texas has been working to get Baker back on campus in late September. Oregon’s home schedule is a bit tougher to navigate against a Mater Dei schedule that doesn’t ideally line up during the first few weeks of the season. 

DeAndre Carter, OL, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei 

Should Carter commit to Auburn over Texas and Michigan State on September 3rd, the Longhorns will not throw in the towel. Texas will continue to push for an official visit in the fall.

The 6-foot-4, 340-pounder is currently scheduled to make an official visit to Texas on September 30 for the Kansas game. 

Ryan Wingo, WR, St. Louis (MO) St. Louis University 

While Wingo maintains he’d prefer to wait until December 20th to make his official announcement, sources tell Inside Texas it’s not likely going to take that long.

Texas, Missouri, and Tennessee appear to be the three programs in the strongest position. He has familiarity and proximity with the Tigers, he loves the Vols offense, and he’s getting closer to Steve Sarkisian and Chris Jackson.

Wingo is set to see Texas-Wyoming on September 16th, his first game at DKR. And the Horns continue to prioritize the On3 Industry Ranking five-star from the Show Me State.

Jordan Anderson, WR, Newport Beach (Calif.) Newport Harbor – Oregon commit

The 6-foot-0, 170-pound On3 four-star receiver is solid to the Pacific northwest Ducks, but is still looking around, sources tell Inside Texas.

Anderson was looking at an official visit to Texas over the summer, but it never materialized. Now, that possibility stills remains and the Horns have continued with their interest.

Texas has room for 1-2 more receivers with Anderson, Wingo, and Micah Hudson still connecting with the Horns staff.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is 06 the last season we had a good qb and a good OL simultaneously?

Probably?  And even then- Colt was a red shirt freshman and nothing special- he was more a product of his environment that year- as you will probably remember his big step back the next year when most of his OL moved on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

The OL was absolutely the weak link on what was otherwise an elite team.  They were not good and it was a harbinger of things to come.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Dominick McKinley, DL, Lafayette (La.) Acadiana

Sunday night, one source mentioned that OU could be slipping. That is not IT reporting that to be clear.

It's not IT reporting that?  Then who the fuck is it???

33 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Jordan Anderson, WR, Newport Beach (Calif.) Newport Harbor – Oregon commit

The 6-foot-0, 170-pound On3 four-star receiver is solid to the Pacific northwest Ducks, but is still looking around, sources tell Inside Texas.

If he's still looking around, then he's not solid, is he?  Or is "IT not reporting that," either?

It's amazing that they - and others in this industry - can blithely write stuff like that and perhaps even garner praise for it.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls