Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

11 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Could be great in the wildcat. Strong runner with a strong arm is clearly what you want in that package. Somebody out there could get way more out of his potential than jolly St. Nick did Saturday. 

Just a reminder that the power spread hasn't won anything meaningful since 2014, and the wildcat has never won anything. While that may be where Milroe would be best utilized, Saban knows he can't win a championship that way, conference or otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Just a reminder that the power spread hasn't won anything meaningful since 2014, and the wildcat has never won anything. While that may be where Milroe would be best utilized, Saban knows he can't win a championship that way, conference or otherwise. 

True...but I think it can still be an effective change-of-pace formation when run with the right personnel. At a smaller school facing less sophisticated/skilled defenses its threat might be especially useful. That said, I can't imagine Milroe wanting to be used as a "spare part" anywhere, even at Bama. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We need to ease up on the Brocks at this point. In hindsight, they actually did us a massive solid by not coming here. It expedited Herman's departure. It opened up the Texas depth chart so we could take that massive Oline haul in 2022. If they had come here, it would be example number 1027 how Texas can't develop five star talent when in hindsight they were completely over ranked and maxed out in high school. It wasted two scholarship spots at Bama at the opportunity cost of taking a couple of linemen who could actually play. Anybody else notice them having to start a true freshman at LT and him giving up sacks to Burke and Hill?

Fuck the Brocks? I don't think so. Thank you, Brocks. 

fuck that ice cube GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Milroe would have been a beast in Tom Herman’s power spread offense. He really ought to look for a transfer in the off-season to a school that runs a scheme that suits his skill set. 

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Could be great in the wildcat. Strong runner with a strong arm is clearly what you want in that package. Somebody out there could get way more out of his potential than jolly St. Nick did Saturday. 

He'd be a nightmare under Klieman and Klein at Kansas State.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We need to ease up on the Brocks at this point. In hindsight, they actually did us a massive solid by not coming here. It expedited Herman's departure. It opened up the Texas depth chart so we could take that massive Oline haul in 2022. If they had come here, it would be example number 1027 how Texas can't develop five star talent when in hindsight they were completely over ranked and maxed out in high school. It wasted two scholarship spots at Bama at the opportunity cost of taking a couple of linemen who could actually play. Anybody else notice them having to start a true freshman at LT and him giving up sacks to Burke and Hill?

image.gif.2449b609644af7e0d73f55d8ca40e49f.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry said that he spoke to Alex January’s dad yesterday and Alex is taking an online class on the weekends right now so he can graduate early and enroll in January.

If I remember right D’Antre Robinson is an early enrollee as well.

looking at the 247 commits list D'antre Robinson is an EE and Parker Livingstone is an EE. nobody else currently listed.

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry said that he spoke to Alex January’s dad yesterday and Alex is taking an online class on the weekends right now so he can graduate early and enroll in January.

There's a "Who's on First" gag in there somewhere. 

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I agree that it was a blessing, butt fuck em.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Baker, Black and Wingo will be horns. NIL is a big deal and they were leans beforehand. 

I don't think expecting an imminent flip is productive. That's not how they roll. Just taking a new commitment while they're hot has its pratfalls. They're playing this all out over the next few months and expect to land multiple flips by December. Some of that is predicated on Texas continuing to play the way it should and some other programs heading further into the toilet. 

Texas wants as many as two more OL still. They want to flip a DB. Sounds like Tyanthony Smith is the only real LB possibility on the radar and nothing is imminent or even probable. 

They're going to scout the hell out of their off week between OU and UH. Given how dreadful UH is, that doesn't bother me. Where they all go for that weekend, in terms of which coaches visit which schools/games will tell us a lot. 

The Alabama game played a pretty massive role in additional interest in the 25-27 classes. Less so 2024, simply due to so many relationships already being firmly established for players and programs everywhere. 

That all considered, don't call me an idiot or a liar if some flip or surprise gets announced in the next few days. It's recruiting, anything can happen. Well, anything good, for Texas, at least.

Yeah I bet they'll take advantage of the on-field momentum big time. One thing that stood out to me about this staff from the getgo was how much effort they put into recruiting.

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Baker, Black and Wingo will be horns. NIL is a big deal and they were leans beforehand. 

I don't think expecting an imminent flip is productive. That's not how they roll. Just taking a new commitment while they're hot has its pratfalls. They're playing this all out over the next few months and expect to land multiple flips by December. Some of that is predicated on Texas continuing to play the way it should and some other programs heading further into the toilet. 

Texas wants as many as two more OL still. They want to flip a DB. Sounds like Tyanthony Smith is the only real LB possibility on the radar and nothing is imminent or even probable. 

They're going to scout the hell out of their off week between OU and UH. Given how dreadful UH is, that doesn't bother me. Where they all go for that weekend, in terms of which coaches visit which schools/games will tell us a lot. 

The Alabama game played a pretty massive role in additional interest in the 25-27 classes. Less so 2024, simply due to so many relationships already being firmly established for players and programs everywhere. 

That all considered, don't call me an idiot or a liar if some flip or surprise gets announced in the next few days. It's recruiting, anything can happen. Well, anything good, for Texas, at least.

When you say flip a DB, I assume you mean Mack or Gipson. What are we going to do at safety, though? Is Rubell a nickle? Is Hampton a safety?

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

When you say flip a DB, I assume you mean Mack or Gipson. What are we going to do at safety, though? Is Rubell a nickle? Is Hampton a safety?

Based on what Gerry has been saying, they like Mack way more than Gipson. 

Unrelated to the DB position, he also mentioned that Wingo is >>>>> Hudson on their WR board.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yes

At 5'10" 175lbs, that doesn't seem ideal. Perhaps he can gain 30lbs and look like Catalon, but I'm not even sure that is what we are looking for. Maybe we like the younger guys or move corners who can't make it there or bring in transfers, I'm not sure. It seems like we would want to maybe go for the 6'4" JUCO corner, Sione Laulea, and try to move him. But that's probably just dumb recruitnik thinking.

16 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Based on what Gerry has been saying, they like Mack way more than Gipson. 

Unrelated to the DB position, he also mentioned that Wingo is >>>>> Hudson on their WR board.

Is that because they think Wingo is better or because Hudson acted like a little cunt? 

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls