Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Based on the picture, it's Elija Lofton

https://www.on3.com/db/elija-lofton-150407/

Good catch - interesting

Headline: 4-star TE Elija Lofton commits to the Miami Hurricanes despite late push from Texas: "Miami felt like a second home to me"

https://www.on3.com/teams/miami-hurricanes/news/4-star-te-elija-lofton-commits-to-the-miami-hurricanes/

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Based on the picture, it's Elija Lofton

https://www.on3.com/db/elija-lofton-150407/

Top247 TE eyeing possible Texas visit

Blair Angulo (Horns 247)

Spoiler

Top247 TE eyeing possible Texas visit

Blair Angulo (Horns 247)

With about eight weeks to go until the Early Signing Period, the Texas Longhorns are building towards a top 10 recruiting class in the 2024 cycle and have room to continue adding to that down the stretch.

Three five-star prospects and a handful of four-stars spearhead the group for the Longhorns, who sit at No. 13 nationally in the Composite team recruiting rankings ahead of their matchup against Kansas State this weekend.

There are rumblings that another Top247 prospect could be taking a closer look at Texas real soon.

A source tells 247Sports that Miami commit Elija Lofton, the No. 1 rated player in the state of Nevada for the 2024 class, has plans to be in Austin this coming weekend to take in the game.

The Longhorns finished on the outside looking in for Lofton when he came off the board to the Hurricanes this past summer, but a trip this weekend would suggest that they could be a program to monitor in the next couple months. Lofton is the nation’s No. 211 overall prospect and No. 15 tight end in the country. He has been to Miami a couple times this season to see the Hurricanes play in person.

Texas had a spot on the official visit itinerary back in June but Lofton canceled that return trip to Austin. He has drawn comparisons to fellow Las Vegas Bishop Gorman product and current Houston Texans tight end Brevin Jordan, even being referred to as “Baby Brevin” at times by some close to the program.

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound tight end had 18 total touchdowns and averaged over 25 yards per reception as a junior last season. A big-bodied prospect with broad shoulders and a thick lower half, Lofton is a strong and powerful tight end with a multi-faceted skill set. He is an imposing pass catcher with above average hands, flashes good route running ability and has proven to be tough to bring down in space, even utilized as a power running back in some goal-line packages.

Lofton shows a consistent presence over middle of the field to create issues for linebackers, has been a willing run blocker who seals the edge well and demonstrated the sound technique that should make him a three-down contributor at the Power Five level.

Texas holds a commitment from Langham Creek three-star tight end Jordan Washington in the current class. The Longhorns have never been able to sign a high school player from the state of Nevada in the modern recruiting era.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Getafix said:

A source tells 247Sports that Miami commit Elija Lofton, the No. 1 rated player in the state of Nevada for the 2024 class, has plans to be in Austin this coming weekend to take in the game.

Is he really a 6'1" 215 TE and the #1 player in Nevada? That seems awfully small unless he plays split out most of the time.

53 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Is he really a 6'1" 215 TE and the #1 player in Nevada? That seems awfully small unless he plays split out most of the time.

Remember offenses are looking for mismatches. Red's late commitment fits that category. If this kid is 6'1", I'd imagine they see a mismatch at the flex: both as a pass catcher and as a blocker in the the screen game. He could probably even motion in the backfield and play a little old-fashioned fullback from time to time.

11 hours ago, Bevo said:

The Texas staff has proven to be very judicious with its recruitments of TEs/H-backs. So now they’re working on one late in a cycle after a senior evaluation. But Bevo doesn’t like his size, guys. 

I think you should send Banks and Sarkisian a strongly worded letter warning against this effort. 

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

On the On3 National podcast from 10/30, Gerry didn’t sound optimistic on Lindsey. I’d call it cautious optimism on flipping Filsaime. Basically said aggy has to implode for Texas to have a chance with McKinley. 

So a very good chance of getting McKinley.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The Texas staff has proven to be very judicious with its recruitments of TEs/H-backs. So now they’re working on one late in a cycle after a senior evaluation. But Bevo doesn’t like his size, guys. 

I think you should send Banks and Sarkisian a strongly worded letter warning against this effort. 

Trust the corches?

Seriously, though, I just think it is odd that a 6'1" TE is the #1 player in the state of Nevada. On Texas' side, I think we want to get DL like Murphy out of the red zone offense and use a more versatile H back.

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Didn’t realize we were already at the trust the coaches phase based on Spencer Shannon and Will Randle. 

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Didn’t realize we were already at the trust the coaches phase based on Spencer Shannon and Will Randle. 

I have plenty of concerns that I can cite with this staff. Roster building isn’t one of them. Beyond that, is this Bevo’s first week to follow recruiting? Perhaps the vaunted recruiting site he’s using for measurables might not be up to speed? But yeah, let’s take it at gospel. It’s just more stupid shit that he’s doing.

Speaking of stupid shit, throwing out the notion that two freshmen who are redshirting are now busts and worthy of judging the staff for is right there with basing recruiting opinions on garbage that Rivals turns out. Ignoring that one of those TEs was recruited in part to land the number one player in the country and his high school teammate is also fucking dumb. Even dumber is looking at the other guy and his ranking and judging that versus why they recruited him, which is to be a blocking TE. So, solid work on your end as well.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

I have plenty of concerns that I can cite with this staff. Roster building isn’t one of them. Beyond that, is this Bevo’s first week to follow recruiting? Perhaps the vaunted recruiting site he’s using for measurables might not be up to speed? But yeah, let’s take it at gospel. It’s just more stupid shit that he’s doing.

Speaking of stupid shit, throwing out the notion that two freshmen who are redshirting are now busts and worthy of judging the staff for is right there with basing recruiting opinions on garbage that Rivals turns out. Ignoring that one of those TEs was recruited in part to land the number one player in the country and his high school teammate is also fucking dumb. Even dumber is looking at the other guy and his ranking and judging that versus why they recruited him, which is to be a blocking TE. So, solid work on your end as well.  

Excellent straw man you’ve built there. I’m sure it felt good to win that argument against yourself.

The jury is out, that is all. And discussing measurables in a recruiting forum is perfectly acceptable whether or not Jeff Banks has been “judicious” with his offers.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Excellent straw man you’ve built there. I’m sure it felt good to win that argument against yourself.

The jury is out, that is all. And discussing measurables in a recruiting forum is perfectly acceptable whether or not Jeff Banks has been “judicious” with his offers.

It wasn’t a straw man. If we’re talking rhetorical tactics, you floated a trial balloon. I popped it for the idiocy that it was and now you’re looking to move the goalposts. 

Measurables are great for discussion. Handwringing over them is tedious. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It wasn’t a straw man. If we’re talking rhetorical tactics, you floated a trial balloon. I popped it for the idiocy that it was and now you’re looking to move the goalposts. 

Measurables are great for discussion. Handwringing over them is tedious. 

My rhetorical tactic was pointing out that the tight ends this staff have recruited have yet to prove anything on the field (which is perfectly fine at this stage), in response to you feigning disbelief that someone dare question the judicious recruiting offers of this staff. But I get that you don't like your silly comments being dunked on.

They have done well developing the 2021 guys they inherited. Sanders wasn't a guarantee to develop. They whiffed on Skinner, stopped pushing for Boardingham (who looks good at Florida), and the Llewellyn guy. and punted on that cycle. In 2023, Randle will do his job if he keeps Arch happy, and Shannon will probably be good to go in 2025. 

Maybe if SC falls apart, we can get Duce to transfer here.

They've shown they can develop TEs, which is more critical at this position than some others.

58 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

My rhetorical tactic was pointing out that the tight ends this staff have recruited have yet to prove anything on the field (which is perfectly fine at this stage), in response to you feigning disbelief that someone dare question the judicious recruiting offers of this staff. But I get that you don't like your silly comments being dunked on.

Bro, sick burn, bro! 

Even if you showed this exchange to your mother, I'm not sure she'd confirm for you that you'd "dunked on" somebody. 

Here is your original post:

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

You're taking the position that this statement doesn't imply that you're being critical of the staff and those takes. You've moved the goalposts in two follow-up posts, after getting called on the notion of mocking the takes of two true freshmen who are redshirting, to "I'm just saying they haven't proven anything, guys". No. that's not what you were doing. 

Also, I don't give one fuck if Will Randle never plays a down, doesn't hold the door for ladies, likes Nickelback, and steals candy from little kids. The guy has already done the heavy-lifting the staff needed from him. So he's already "proven" something.

lebron james basketball GIF 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Also, I don't give one fuck is Will Randle never plays a down, doesn't hold the door for ladies, likes Nickelback, and steals candy from little kids. The guy has already done the heavy-lifting the staff needed from him. So he's already "proven" something.

Are there rumors that Will Randle likes Nickelback? I want that scholly back.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Bro, sick burn, bro! 

Even if you showed this exchange to your mother, I'm not sure she'd confirm for you that you'd "dunked on" somebody. 

You're taking the position that this statement doesn't imply that you're being critical of the staff and those takes. You've moved the goalposts in two follow-up posts, after getting called on the notion of mocking the takes of two true freshmen who are redshirting, to "I'm just saying they haven't proven anything, guys". No. that's not what you were doing. 

Just because you made a poor inference doesn’t mean I’m moving the goalposts. But I am glad to see you’ve become more trusting of the coaches in your older age. 

Are receiving + blocking tight ends kinda unicorns at the college level? Seems like the players on our roster and ones we recruit do one or the other, but not both. Sanders's blocking is pretty poor. Shannon was recruited specifically to be a blocking surface. I assume this midget from Vegas is a pass catcher only based on frame. Maybe Helm develops into a two way guy?

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Bro, sick burn, bro! 

Also, I don't give one fuck if Will Randle never plays a down, doesn't hold the door for ladies, likes Nickelback, and steals candy from little kids. The guy has already done the heavy-lifting the staff needed from him. So he's already "proven" something.

lebron james basketball GIF 

You did it now, motherfucker.

You made CTJ post a gif.

8 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Are receiving + blocking tight ends kinda unicorns at the college level? Seems like the players on our roster and ones we recruit do one or the other, but not both. Sanders's blocking is pretty poor. Shannon was recruited specifically to be a blocking surface. I assume this midget from Vegas is a pass catcher only based on frame. Maybe Helm develops into a two way guy?

I'm not sure why we should believe that Tiny Vegas is even a target at TE. They might be after him for a different position.

There have been murmurs from some corners of the program that Seven Loss Steve has been working on a new offensive scheme unlike any seen before in the sport of football. Apparently he's tinkering with the notion of harnessing a catapult-like fixture onto the back of Spencer Shannon's shoulder pads from which they'll insert a diminutive figure and the football and then let Shannon launch the Emmanuel Lewis-esque teammate violently down the field towards the end zone. Tiny Vegas sounds like the perfect candidate for that role.

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm not sure why we should believe that Tiny Vegas is even a target at TE. They might be after him for a different position.

There have been murmurs from some corners of the program that Seven Loss Steve has been working on a new offensive scheme unlike any seen before in the sport of football. Apparently he's tinkering with the notion of harnessing a catapult-like fixture onto the back of Spencer Shannon's shoulder pads from which they'll insert a diminutive figure and the football and then let Shannon launch the Emmanuel Lewis-esque teammate violently down the field towards the end zone. Tiny Vegas sounds like the perfect candidate for that role.

Who run Barter Town? 1985 : r/OldSchoolCool

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Gerry said this morning that he is a perfect candidate at H Back, or the JWhit role of essentially a run blocking WR. He said he is just as quick as Whittington but far more nasty as a blocker and he has the wingspan of someone 6'4'' which helps in the run game. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Gerry said this morning that he is a perfect candidate at H Back, or the JWhit role of essentially a run blocking WR. He said he is just as quick as Whittington but far more nasty as a blocker and he has the wingspan of someone 6'4'' which helps in the run game. 

far more nasty than perhaps our best blocking WR ever?  I think Gerry might be selling this guy a bit too hard.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gurt said:

far more nasty than perhaps our best blocking WR ever?  I think Gerry might be selling this guy a bit too hard.

I think it's fair to say that a WR who learned how to block may not be as nasty about it as a TE who learned to flex out. As skilled as Whit? Probably not. Nastier? Yeah, I could see that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Trust the corches?

Seriously, though, I just think it is odd that a 6'1" TE is the #1 player in the state of Nevada. 

I remember when a recruit named David Thomas showed up on campus when he was in HS and thinking who is this skinny guy - he'll never play.

• Hook 'Em 4