Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

Just now, C'Mon Man said:

Yeah man Kelvin Banks sucks

There's some pretty extinuating circumstances there dude. It's not just the flakey kid who does it multiple times. His first commitment was in like 8th grade. Then he committed to Oregon, which he decomitted form when they lost their coach AND his mom had health issues. This is some disingenous shit.

Dude committed to OSU in September of 2019. Decommits in July 2020. Commits to Oregon a YEAR later in July 2021. Decommits in December 2021 when they lose their coach. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

There's some pretty extinuating circumstances there dude. It's not just the flakey kid who does it multiple times. His first commitment was in like 8th grade. Then he committed to Oregon, which he decomitted form when they lost their coach AND his mom had health issues. This is some disingenous shit.

Dude committed to OSU in September of 2019. Decommits in July 2020. Commits to Oregon a YEAR later in July 2021. Decommits in December 2021 when they lose their coach. 

I'm not comparing Aeryn Hampton the recruit to Kelvin Banks the recruit. Just merely pointing out that today is different than 5 years ago in regard to kids making multiple decommitments.

If you want another example, Jahdae Barron. There are more. Hampton may bust and has shown some flakiness but I think that is significantly less indicative of future bust probability than it was a few years ago

• Hook 'Em 7

14 minutes ago, C'Mon Man said:

I'm not comparing Aeryn Hampton the recruit to Kelvin Banks the recruit. Just merely pointing out that today is different than 5 years ago in regard to kids making multiple decommitments.

If you want another example, Jahdae Barron. There are more. Hampton may bust and has shown some flakiness but I think that is significantly less indicative of future bust probability than it was a few years ago

You absolutely directly fucking compared Aeryn Hamption to Kelvin Banks. That's exactly 100% what happens when someone makes a comment about flakey aeryn hampton and youre literal quote is to bring up Kelvin Banks. Full fucking stop. 

In the context of what we're discussing, 5 years ago is no fucking different than it is right now regarding kids making multiple decommitments. As always, context fucking matters. And comparing Kevlin Banks and Aeryn Hamptons recruitments, which YOU DIRECTLY COMPARED THEM TO, is like comparing apples and dogshit. 

Barron decommitted once, from TCU, not multiple times. He left Baylor becuase, again, wait for it, the coach he signed up to play for left. This shit isn't rocket science dude. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, C'Mon Man said:

Barron got his first offer from TCU, then committed to them before even getting his 2nd offer. decommitted like  a month later

then was uncommitted until summer, committed to Baylor in June, didn't take any more OVs, signed LOI with Baylor under Matt Rhule. Ruhle left, he asked for a release from his LOI, was granted it, committed to Texas and enrolled at Texas like 5 days later.

not a 1:1 comparison to Hampton.

Sydney already touched on the Banks comparison and why it's bad and you should feel bad.

Hampton is probably the flakiest recruitment Texas has been all in since Justin Watkins.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You absolutely directly fucking compared Aeryn Hamption to Kelvin Banks. That's exactly 100% what happens when someone makes a comment about flakey aeryn hampton and youre literal quote is to bring up Kelvin Banks. Full fucking stop. 

In the context of what we're discussing, 5 years ago is no fucking different than it is right now regarding kids making multiple decommitments. As always, context fucking matters. And comparing Kevlin Banks and Aeryn Hamptons recruitments, which YOU DIRECTLY COMPARED THEM TO, is like comparing apples and dogshit. 

Barron decommitted once, from TCU, not multiple times. He left Baylor becuase, again, wait for it, the coach he signed up to play for left. This shit isn't rocket science dude. 

Your blood pressure has to be sky high, y’all aren’t even really disagreeing, his whole point is that the blanket statement of  “multiple decommitments means bad player” is dumb.

And your added context on Banks and Barron is actually proof that the blanket statements are dumb.

Yes, Hampton is flakier than Banks and Barron when context is added, but perhaps people should always add in that extra context instead of just making useless blanket statements.

• Hook 'Em 8

13 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Your blood pressure has to be sky high, y’all aren’t even really disagreeing, his whole point is that the blanket statement of  “multiple decommitments means bad player” is dumb.

And your added context on Banks and Barron is actually proof that the blanket statements are dumb.

Yes, Hampton is flakier than Banks and Barron when context is added, but perhaps people should always add in that extra context instead of just making useless blanket statements.

We should rename “blanket statement” to something else.  Blankets are snuggly and warm.  Fun things happen under blankets.  I would propose the use of “afghan” or “sweeping”.   Let’s just leave good ‘ol blankets out of this.  

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I agree with everything you said. Also, fuck off! This is no place for reason or logic.

56 minutes ago, C'Mon Man said:

My issue regarding the "multiple decommitments doesn't make Hampton a flake" part is that that isn't the whole picture. The guy has moved around to multiple schools, made multiple decommitments, flaked on visit plans, gotten into shit with coaches, and lied to people in the media on damned near a constant basis. Boo hoo for people in the media, I get it, but they also tend to be pretty good at spotting flakes when they see them. Roach is too unassuming and naive to see it, but all of the guys at IT and Howe see it. 

I hope it all amounts to nothing with the guy and that he comes to Texas and kicks ass. Jaydon Blue had some pretty big issues and I and friends of mine that follow this stuff all wrote his chances of doing anything off. May something similar work out here. That said, if the worst thing that happens in this class is that Hampton flips to Bama, there will be a big part of the recruitnik in me that feels some level of relief.

26 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Agree with this sentiment, hence the thoughts above it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

WELL_IGUESSWHENYOUPUTIT.jpg.3b2cda07e9465e46adf6bba991c658ac.jpg

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

image.thumb.png.7ee62a5f4a6baa9addc16465183d4786.png

I guess this is him. And there must be more to the story because he also went to Coahoma C.C.

Cecil Cherry is in his third season in professional football and first with the Rattlers.

Cherry previously played Professional Football in the Fan Controlled Football league with the Glacier Boyz. He won Defensive Player of the year in 2022 for the Fan Controlled Football League.

In 2021 he joined the Sea Lions of The Spring League, becoming one of the Top Prospects in the league.

He started his college career with Grambling State where he totaled 15 tackles in six games played. After Grambling State he transferred to Tennessee Martin where he totaled 83 tackles, 9 tackles for loss for 39 yards, and four sacks for 27 yards in the 2019 season. In one game against Jacksonville State, he notched 14 tackles, earning him STATS FCS Defensive Player of the week, Ohio Valley Conference Player of the week, and the Tennessee Sports Writers Association Defensive player of the Week.

From Frostproof, Florida, he attended high school at Victory Christian Academy where he was honored as first time all country twice, earning him a four-star recruit rating entering his college recruitment. 

• 4648246.png?fit=bounds&crop=50:50,offset-y0.50&width=50&height=50&fit=crop
    September 01, 2015: Transfer

Cecil Cherry transfers to USF Bulls

• 8456487.png?fit=bounds&crop=50:50,offset-y0.50&width=50&height=50&fit=crop
    June 10, 2015: Enrollment

Cecil Cherry enrolls at Texas Longhorns

February 04, 2015: Signing

Cecil Cherry signs letter of intent to Texas Longhorns

December 15, 2014: Commitment

Cecil Cherry commits to Texas Longhorns

• 4649630.png?fit=bounds&crop=50:50,offset-y0.50&width=50&height=50&fit=crop
    December 08, 2014: Decommit

Cecil Cherry decommits from Tennessee Volunteers

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My issue regarding the "multiple decommitments doesn't make Hampton a flake" part is that that isn't the whole picture. The guy has moved around to multiple schools, made multiple decommitments, flaked on visit plans, gotten into shit with coaches, and lied to people in the media on damned near a constant basis. Boo hoo for people in the media, I get it, but they also tend to be pretty good at spotting flakes when they see them. Roach is too unassuming and naive to see it, but all of the guys at IT and Howe see it. 

I hope it all amounts to nothing with the guy and that he comes to Texas and kicks ass. Jaydon Blue had some pretty big issues and I and friends of mine that follow this stuff all wrote his chances of doing anything off. May something similar work out here. That said, if the worst thing that happens in this class is that Hampton flips to Bama, there will be a big part of the recruitnik in me that feels some level of relief.

Agree with this sentiment, hence the thoughts above it.

Yeah I get it, there are some potential red flags with him.

My general point is that despite the headache that his recruitment has been for Texas, Sark has continued to recruit the kid even after he decommitted from Texas as has Saban after a silent comittment and decommitment from Alabama. On top of that, it has become clear that both Alabama and Texas are going to land blue chip recruits at WR and have great shot at landing proven elite WR talent from the portal year in and year out, and both programs have prioritized this recruitment. I don't like being a "trust the coaches" guy but I would much rather take the risk and have him on our campus than in Tuscaloosa

8 minutes ago, C'Mon Man said:

Yeah I get it, there are some potential red flags with him.

My general point is that despite the headache that his recruitment has been for Texas, Sark has continued to recruit the kid even after he decommitted from Texas as has Saban after a silent comittment and decommitment from Alabama. On top of that, it has become clear that both Alabama and Texas are going to land blue chip recruits at WR and have great shot at landing proven elite WR talent from the portal year in and year out, and both programs have prioritized this recruitment. I don't like being a "trust the coaches" guy but I would much rather take the risk and have him on our campus than in Tuscaloosa

I think the biggest headscratcher for me in the 2024 cycle is the continued interest from both Texas and Bama in Hampton. It kinds of blows my recruiting mind, really. Multiple people that are pretty good at this stuff share the same sentiment. Clearly, the highly paid professionals running both playoff teams know a hell of a lot more than any of us, but that's never kept us from having an opinion. I think the guy is going to be a complete bust. It's fascinating to me that he's important enough for Saban to go to Daingerfield in December to see him. 

49 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I think Sark and Co have enough cred to trust their judgement in these matters. Coach and culture might be the difference for some of those on the fringe of bust.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think the biggest headscratcher for me in the 2024 cycle is the continued interest from both Texas and Bama in Hampton. It kinds of blows my recruiting mind, really. Multiple people that are pretty good at this stuff share the same sentiment. Clearly, the highly paid professionals running both playoff teams know a hell of a lot more than any of us, but that's never kept us from having an opinion. I think the guy is going to be a complete bust. It's fascinating to me that he's important enough for Saban to go to Daingerfield in December to see him.

i'm trying to figure what specific talent or combination of talents he has that pulls Saban to go to D-field in December and for Texas to stick with him. i don't think he's shit, obviously, but this is the kind of superchat question folks need to be asking Gerry in IT Live videos.

i'm assuming he is really fucking good at some specific attribute or a really unique blend of things - everything talks about how elusive he is but how much of that is the competition he is facing? evidently they think it's his elusiveness that's a very high %tile skill?

<6' dudes who may be DB/WR and have great acceleration and twitch but who have more room to be faster at the high end aren't exactly super rare. and it isn't like he is at some small small ETX school like Hughes Springs or Linden-Kildare where their football program is lagging behind.

Gabe Brooks Scouting Report:

Highly productive three-phase playmaker at the Texas 3A level for a storied East Texas program that has won state titles and produced numerous prospects. Recruited at receiver and in the secondary and could project to either side of the ball in the long term.

Displays a unique, somewhat unorthodox, but effective run-after-catch gait that regularly fuels chunk plays. Changes speeds particularly well and flashes elusive stop-start agility. Plays above his listed size in capability of high-pointing contested throws.

Tracks deeper throws well and shows some body control and adjustment nuance when required. Very good screen game weapon who could also present a dangerous drag target in the short game. Plays with good initial straight-line burst that eats up cushion. Short-area twitch laterally and downhill translate well to the return game. Three-sport athletic profile includes basketball and track. Ran in the 11.5 100-meter range as a junior in Spring 2023.

Athletic profile and on-field context reflect that often seen in corner prospects, but frame limitations might affect corner upside. If a defensive projection, nickel or safety more likely fits. Ball gets into his body at times. Shows functional long speed but can still squeeze more juice out of the top gear, as track data reflect. Faces significant jump in competition progressing from TXHSFB small-school ball to P5 opponents.

Intriguing, versatile athlete who plays aware regardless of alignment and has a knack for big plays. Projects as a high-major recruit who could become an impact player with a future beyond college.

Daniel Seahorn:

Spoiler

Hampton is an incredibly productive three-phase player that can credibly project to either side of the ball at the next level. Has accumulated 2,190 receiving yards and 25 touchdowns over the past two seasons. Has produced an incredible amount of ball production on the defensive side of the ball, including 18 interceptions. Possesses adequate physical measurables for the receiver position at 5’10, 175 pounds. He likely projects as an inside receiver offensively and safety or nickel defensively due to size and length concerns. As a receiver, he displays very quick feet and good change-of-direction ability that allows him to easily separate from defensive backs. Thrives when he gets the ball in space and is often utilized on screens due to his elusiveness with the ball in his hands and his ability to get yards after catch. Possesses good acceleration and straight-line speed. Tracks the ball well in the air and possesses good ball skills, which is backed up by the production. Does a solid job of adjusting to balls on the fly and has good body coordination. Punches a bit above his weight class as a ball carrier and will run through some arm tackles. Raw as a route runner, as he is not asked to run an extensive route tree at this stage in his development. Personally, I think Hampton will get a shot at receiver first at the next level, but his versatility and overall athletic ability provides the coaching staff options once he arrives to campus. He will likely redshirt so they can figure out which direction his development will go, but you can’t rule out him contributing on special teams early in his career.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

At this point I've forgotten (or never knew) all the twists and turns with Hampton, but maybe he's the classic "not a bad guy but immature and needs to get the fuck out of Daingerfield and away from some knuckleheads"?

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

At this point I've forgotten (or never knew) all the twists and turns with Hampton, but maybe he's the classic "not a bad guy but immature and needs to get the fuck out of Daingerfield and away from some knuckleheads"?

Getting the fuck out of Dangerfield would be in anyone’s best interest.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

What is Saban and Sark both keep chasing after him because they are worried the other guy sees something they don't?

Hmm, interesting concept. Maybe despite being a flake the kid is also crafty and he's telling Saban that Sarkisian is saying he's a day one starter at WR and telling Sarkisian that Saban is saying he's a day one starter at DB. Knowing each would trust the other's judgment at those positions. 

Brilliant but also definitely not happening. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Haha 2